Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2015, 09:34   #496
BHPian

re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I don't recall when was the last time the two biggies (MUL and Hyundai) entered a new segment at almost the same time.
Exciting times ahead !
This is one battle where a lot is at stake for both the companies, so they will be working hard on their respective strategies.
But a win win scenario for customers and particularly all those who have been patient enough for last three quarters and postponed purchase decisions awaiting these launches. Same segment launches almost together by both means more competitiveness and more initial benefits because I presume both will like to garner maximum initial bookings .
Action packed three to four weeks for enthusiasts.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 10:07   #497
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

An update from an insider:

Quote:
The bookings have not begun anywhere officially. All S-Cross bookings will be initiated and served by Nexa dealers only. Also no wholesales have begun anywhere.

Would urge you to inform forum members not to put down any booking amount with any dealer.

Hope this helps forum members and followers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
  • All Four disc brakes- isn't that great!
  • No detuning of the engine- all 320 nm of the turning force and 118 bhp power, best in class!
  • No ESP- thats a downer.
  • No Four Wheel Drive option at launch - sad.
  • ICE: Touch screen with sat nav.
  • Cruise Control present.
  • 60:40 split rear seating.
  • 16 inch alloys.
  • 205 cross section wheels- not great.
  • They are launching it under a new supposedly premium sub brand called NEXA- this was reported some time back on some other thread too.
Details of variants, pricing etc not known.
Thanks for sharing! I think all the points are spot-on, except for the torque rating. 320 Nm from a 1.6L? Though possible, it would be pushing things.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2015 at 10:09.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 10:12   #498
Team-BHP Support

That 118 BHP and 320 Nm torque is sounding mouth watering. On paper nothing is close to these figures. Even the Scorpio has lesser torque and BHP. The Creta even with the Verna 1.6 CRDI engine now sounds mediocre.

For a change we see a car that too from Maruti that is not tuned for outright efficiency but performance.

The next hot hatch/crossover.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 10:50   #499
BHPian

Guys , does any one know if Nexa dealership in Mumbai is up as yet? Delhi got one at Dwarka but did not hear these popping up in any other cities.

On a separate note, wouldnt they end up severely restricting the sales channel if they take bookings from exclusive dealerships only? While they can have focused showrooms, they should still accept the bookings for any product in the range. For consumer like me and those who have put an advance down, its only adding to the confusion.
Old 20th June 2015, 11:10   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

An update from an insider:

Thanks for sharing! I think all the points are spot-on, except for the torque rating. 320 Nm from a 1.6L? Though possible, it would be pushing things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That 118 BHP and 320 Nm torque is sounding mouth watering. On paper nothing is close to these figures. Even the Scorpio has lesser torque and BHP. The Creta even with the Verna 1.6 CRDI engine now sounds mediocre.

For a change we see a car that too from Maruti that is not tuned for outright efficiency but performance.

The next hot hatch/crossover.
Internationally the S Cross or the 1.6L JTD for that matter comes with the same power and torque figures, so its very much possible. Additionally Maruti isnt allowed by FIAT to detune the engine or make mechanical changes to it- all it can do is tune the ECU.
Exciting times up ahead. I am wondering what this engine will do once it comes in the same state of tune in the already light Ciaz!!
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 12:31   #501
BHPian

Wish the front was slightly more aggressive..

Original:
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-scross.jpg

With larger front grill, larger fogs, higher ground clearance and more aggressive wheel arches
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-scross3.jpg
vikash49 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 12:50   #502
BHPian

The Maruti S-Cross

Yes, just the larger fog lamps and a higher ground clearance does enhance the aggression and makes it better, though the sloping bonnet is what makes it lose out on the butch look.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd June 2015 at 12:04. Reason: Spelling
Old 21st June 2015, 13:41   #503
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
No ESP- thats a downer.
Yes, indeed. It is a downer. With increasing average speeds and the higher ground clearance of soft-roader/ off-roaders, ESP is a must-have.

But then, Maruti knows their customer base :-( and the fact that their customers (viz. us, average, John Doe/ Jane Doe Indians) value chrome, alloys and music systems more (much more) than safety features.

Sad, but true. I hope it at least comes with a thicker body-shell and minimal under-the-skin cost cutting. But then, that, too, is probably expecting too much.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 21st June 2015 at 13:41. Reason: minor grammatical errors
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 21:08   #504
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti crosses the 2500 th import of the 1.6MJD engine. Now it has ~ 2682 engines.Seems the plan of ~1000, 1.6MJD's per month being imported! Not sure if they have Ciaz too in mind while importing these.

I guess we could expect an aggressive pricing

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture.jpg

Source:Zauba
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 07:13   #505
Senior - BHPian

Am I the only one who sees the inspiration?
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-volvo_xc60.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-nissanqashqai.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-suzuki_s_cross.jpg  

Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:00   #506
BHPian

Shouldn't this thread be titled - the Suzuki S-Cross or the Nexa S-Cross. I thought, the are definitely excluding the Maruti nomenclature in the branding.
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:17   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Am I the only one who sees the inspiration?
I don't see any similarity. That ways almost all present cars can be linked to some or other car on the globe.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:59   #508
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Shouldn't this thread be titled - the Suzuki S-Cross or the Nexa S-Cross. I thought, the are definitely excluding the Maruti nomenclature in the branding.
Nexa is the new dealership name they are using for selling the S-cross and Ciaz. Premium dealership.

It's not a new brand under the Maruti umbrella.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 19:15   #509
BHPian

Today my sales rep from Maruti called to confirm that car should be launched post IIFA awards telecast ( checked - its on 28th Jun). He was further honest enough to confess that he cant accept the booking from me, since they do not have clarity if they are allowed to sell it via their dealership or would be sold through new ones only. He is hoping to get some clarity from the company this week.

He did reveal that there is one Nexa Dealership coming up in Malad ( did not confirm east or west).
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:06   #510
BHPian

If GTO's insider news of 'no detuning to the 118hp and 320 Nm' is true that means this is the mjd2 engine, and not the mjd1 (1.3) mill that is currently the 'national engine etc'.

i.e., different/better fuel injection, higher compression ratio etc (though am no engineer) compared to the mjd-s currently, with not just high torque but apparently judging from car reviews in the UK high torque at very low revs, better emissions and better fuel efficiency, each by a factor of 15-20%, apparently.

This will be a knockout engine on the S Cross, if the car/CUV has similar ride+handling etc as the well-regarded European version. At say Rs 12-13 lakhs even, would seem to have huge cross-segment-cross-shopping potential. Even the Honda City et al sedan better-sellers could be somewhat eclipsed by this car, being a Maruti Suzuki? Is that why it's been styled a bit 'softly' rather than in a so-called 'butch' manner like the Duster?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks