Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2015, 12:14   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

The vehicle's size is still a puzzle to me. It looks like a grown up hatch but the length is greater than 4M. The GC as well is less than what Ecosport offers. Hence a true picture of how big the car is will only be known once it is released I suppose and seen in flesh?

Nope, pictorial comparison also don't seem adequate. I think the car should undercut the Duster by 50-80K. The Duster is overpriced for what it offers and S-Cross undercutting it, might make Renault price it realistically. The interiors are nothing to talk about.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 12:15   #407
Senior - BHPian

As per NDTV, 4WD and CVT will come at a later stage. I think they shall launch along with 4WD option to take on Duster AWD.
Old 9th June 2015, 12:44   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
First look ( glimpses) of the stunning blue S Cross at IIFA!
So, looking at this video clipping, rest assured 1.6 engine option is there!!!

As many people pointed out, I too thought the front grille going to be a spoilsport, but in the video, it's looking okay

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2015 at 13:22. Reason: Removing Youtube URL from quoted post.
Keralite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 13:12   #409
Senior - BHPian

Here are my 2 cents looking at the car.

The design is very very average. For a SUV to be successful in this country, it has to have that butch/macho look.. that's the primary reason people buy SUVs here (not all people, so SUV owners no offense please). This looks like a grown up hatch and doesn't stand a chance against Duster/Terrano or even the Ecosport.

It might be great to drive and very safe but it has definitely lost the first round.

Being a Maruti, it will still do reasonably well but unlike the hatchbacks, the tier 2 and tier 3 towns have their trusted Mahindra for SUVs. So, Maruti is gonna find it extremely hard to sell this. And on top of it, the Hyundai IX25 is coming soon and looks way better than the SX4 cross.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 13:55   #410
BHPian

If one were to go only by looks, this seems more like a competitor to the I20 Active rather than the Duster or Terrano.
Old 9th June 2015, 14:18   #411
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of Chevrolet SRV, but with more ground clearance. looks like a good car on paper, but I am not sure how much this can attract the SUV \ Pseudo SUV crazed common man.
Eagerly waiting for the official review of this car.

--Anoop
Old 9th June 2015, 14:51   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
If one were to go only by looks, this seems more like a competitor to the I20 Active rather than the Duster or Terrano.
Lookwise it seems more like competing with the Ritz barring the size. Can't Suzuki pay and find a decent designer? A baby can scribble a better looking alloy. I just can't imagine how they can approve such designs .

Last edited by thesilentone : 9th June 2015 at 14:52. Reason: Question mark added instead of fullstop
Old 9th June 2015, 14:57   #413
Senior - BHPian

1.6 JTD produces 120 hp@4000 rpm, 300 Nm@1500 rpm. Now how much detuning will the desi version will undergo i don't know, but, still, this vehicle will sell for it's engine more than anything else.

(duster 110 3900 rpm, 248 Nm@2250 rpm)
(hyundai 1.6 crdi 128 @ 4000 rpm, 260 Nm @ 1900 rpm).
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 15:12   #414
BANNED

Got to know from a little birdie that redesign of front grille was more due to competitive pressure than choice. The current global S Cross grille apparently resembled Santa Fe too much. Hence the change.
Old 9th June 2015, 15:42   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
1.6 JTD produces 120 hp@4000 rpm, 300 Nm@1500 rpm. Now how much detuning will the desi version will undergo i don't know, but, still, this vehicle will sell for it's engine more than anything else.

(duster 110 3900 rpm, 248 Nm@2250 rpm)
(hyundai 1.6 crdi 128 @ 4000 rpm, 260 Nm @ 1900 rpm).
Both the Duster and the IX25 have very capable engines anyways. And at this point, we don't know how the nrew engine drives. Let us wait for the actual test drive.

But, yes, if the S cross delivers some eye popping mileage, then people might take notice. Though in the SUV/pseudo-SUV segment, mileage is not the most important factor . Considering that the Duster/Ecosport and the upcoming Hyundai IX25 all have very decent mileage numbers, I don't know if Maruti can offer anything significantly better.

Right now, this car is in desperate need for a USP. Who knows if Maruti/Suzuki have something up their sleeves.

Last edited by adimicra : 9th June 2015 at 15:45.
Old 9th June 2015, 15:55   #416
BANNED

Just went through the UK reviews (all magazines) for this car. Turns out the strongest suite of this car is ride and handling. Weakest being looks. And we Indians in general don't give a damn about ride and handling until it goes over the top like Verna ( even that car sells in thousands). So, apart from being a Maruti, there really is no strong suite that will entice Indians. Interestingly, the Nissan Qashqai which this car is benchmarked against in Europe just about prevailed over S Cross in comparo only after new generation model was launched.
Old 9th June 2015, 15:58   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carophilic View Post
Just went through the UK reviews (all magazines) for this car. Turns out the strongest suite of this car is ride and handling. Weakest being looks. And we Indians in general don't give a damn about ride and handling until it goes over the top like Verna ( even that car sells in thousands). So, apart from being a Maruti, there really is no strong suite that will entice Indians. Interestingly, the Nissan Qashqai which this car is benchmarked against in Europe just about prevailed over S Cross in comparo only after new generation model was launched.
Ride and Handling is what won Duster all those customers (apart from a Diesel powerplant). The ability to dispatch potholes without the need to slowing down.

If S-Cross can better that, then people will certainly look forward to it.

I find the looks acceptable. Duster looks gory in comparison. Ecosport is sleek but this has a non-offensive look. I sort of compare it with the CX-5 from Mazda. I loved that car since it was big enough to accommodate 5 with a week-end luggage and small enough to not be difficult to drive around. Smartly packaged.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 9th June 2015 at 16:02.
Old 9th June 2015, 16:07   #418
BANNED

@SchumiFan : As people in the forum commented, Duster apparently had "butch looks". Although I have no idea what that means, I guess it must mean aggressive or something similar. So, that must have drawn customers initially. The ride part comes later through word of mouth and experience. This car just doesn't have the "butch" looks.
The timeless and understated looks are not a big draw in Indian market until and unless it's a VW(They can sell anything that is decently priced using the big blue VW badge!!!!)
Old 9th June 2015, 16:27   #419
Senior - BHPian

Ok now looking at the video shared in the previous page, the front seems acceptable. Although, I can still not seem to like it, the looks certainly seem more acceptable as time goes by.

Duster sure looks a size larger from the pics and videos. However, I believe the USP of this car would be its VFM quotient. I have a feeling Maruti will price it agressively. Looking at how they tuned Ciaz, I believe they would do a great job with the 1.6 MJD too. I am inclined to believe that it would be faster and more efficient than the Duster.

Duster does have the advantage in the butch looks department and Creta will certainly be more premium (I believe it will be priced at a premium too). But if SX4 is as capable as many here believe, S Cross wont be too bad either.

S Cross already reportedly drives pretty well. Add Maruti after sales and reliability to the equation and I think we have a product that should hold it own against the competition in India.

Of course all of this is just speculation.
Old 9th June 2015, 17:19   #420
Senior - BHPian

Source: http://www.autoevolution.com/reviews...iew-2015.html#

This review says that Vitara is priced lesser than SCross in UK (by almost 1L!) If Maruti plans the same thing and provide enough gap for Vitara, SCross price will be a disaster, IMO. Had Maruti introduced Vitara instead of this SCross, they would have tasted better success, IMO.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks