Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:19   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

While I can still digest the overdose of Chrome (can carbon fibre wrap it or something like that), the alloys on the car are really sad. Doesn't it looks so much like a wheel-cap ?

Overall I like this car, and the much talked about 1.6 Multijet finally makes it way to India (as expected with Maruti !). Considering they are fully importing the engine, I wonder how well they can price the car.

I also understand Fiat is working on downsizing this to a 1.5L which will be made locally at Ranjangaon and supplied to Maruti. Not sure when that will happen though, so the 1.6 should continue till then.
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:21   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

I also understand Fiat is working on downsizing this to a 1.5L which will be made locally at Ranjangaon and supplied to Maruti. Not sure when that will happen though, so the 1.6 should continue till then.
Maruti will not be getting the 1.5MJD. Suzuki is developing a 1.5 diesel engine which is now delayed and will come in 2018.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:24   #333
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I think it's a good move to completely do away with the Maruti Suzuki badge, at least on their more expensive vehicles. The hatch or boot lid would look less cluttered with badges now. Others like Hyundai, Volkswagen etc. have already done away with the manufacturer's name at the rear.

The 'S' logo needs absolutely no introduction, as about 45 out of 100 new cars sold in India carry that badge.

Let's hope most spare parts are priced at MGP levels, and not those of SGP ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
However, the rear bumper also looks equally boring and bulky...Loading lip is also pretty high.
A high, protruding rear bumper is a very welcome (and necessary) feature for India!

I don't like the recent trend of thin, flush-fitting, almost non-existent rear bumpers at all. A bumper is a functional part first and foremost, and doing away with the rear bumper's functionality (of protecting the hatch/boot lid and tail lamps) is not an advisable thing to do, especially in a country like India.

I'm glad that at least some cars are able to buck this trend and come with proper, functional rear bumpers. I really appreciate the S-Cross' design team on this aspect!

Last edited by RSR : 2nd June 2015 at 18:38.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:35   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti will not be getting the 1.5MJD. Suzuki is developing a 1.5 diesel engine which is now delayed and will come in 2018.
I have heard otherwise. Fiat's 1.5L program is definitely on track and should see SOP sometime next year. With Maruti's own engine getting pushed to 2018, I see them as a definite customer for this 1.5L. They also need an engine to power the XA Alpha.
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:38   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I can still digest the overdose of Chrome (can carbon fibre wrap it or something like that), the alloys on the car are really sad. Doesn't it looks so much like a wheel-cap ?
Till i read your comment, I was under the impression that they are actually wheel-caps

Man, this is one pathetic alloy design. Barring the chrome overdose, the rest of the design looks good, but not as macho as a duster. Have to wait and see how this will fare in our SUV crazed nation.

--Anoop
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:38   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard otherwise. Fiat's 1.5L program is definitely on track and should see SOP sometime next year. With Maruti's own engine getting pushed to 2018, I see them as a definite customer for this 1.5L. They also need an engine to power the XA Alpha.
The CUV - YBA/Vitara Brezza (XA Alpha) will be powered by the 1.3DDIS engine at launch in 2016. A facelift or mid life renewal is rumored to get the Suzuki 1.5 diesel engine in 2018.

The segment is cost sensitive for Maruti to take the 1.5MJD.

The 1.5MJD is on track to power the upcoming FIAT projects.

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd June 2015 at 18:43.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:58   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

The Suzuki S-Cross prices would begin under Rs. 8 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi), as per an exclusive by Shifting Gears.

Quote:
We’ve spotted the S-Cross units which Maruti Suzuki has exported to Malaysia for the 2015 IIFA awards event where it will be officially unveiled to the Indian audience digitally.

Now, we have received information that the crossover will be priced under Rs. 8 lakh (ex-showroom).

Although we do not know the exact figure, the pricing was seen on the export documents when these units were shipped out.
SOURCE
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 19:12   #338
BHPian

Quote:
the alloys on the car are really sad. Doesn't it looks so much like a wheel-cap ?
Tarun, till the moment I saw your post, I always thought those were wheel caps - ugly wheel caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Till i read your comment, I was under the impression that they are actually wheel-caps
Seriously Anoop, I too was wondering all these days why all the S-Cross spied were mid-variant. I still can't believe those are NOT wheel-caps but alloys. Pathetic designing - Maruti is proving to be worse than Honda in this also. City's alloys were pathetic and Mobilio's and Jazz's are strictly OK. But Maruti appears to top it all with this design.

Come on, someone please prove that those are not alloys but wheel-caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Suzuki S-Cross prices would begin under Rs. 8 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi), as per an exclusive by Shifting Gears.

Quote:
Although we do not know the exact figure, the pricing was seen on the export documents when these units were shipped out.
RavenAvi - I think this is pure speculation and incorrect information. The "export document" and Zauba.com will be having the same price IMO and I repeat, these will have NO bearing on the ex-showroom prices in India.

There have been various instances to prove this and I am attaching a couple of them below. Jazz E, S, SV and VX models have the same price.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-jazz_zauba.png

And, Jazz S being more expensive compared to VX. Also, S and VX having different prices on different days.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-jazz_zauba_1.png

Last edited by Vigkey : 2nd June 2015 at 19:24. Reason: Merged multiple posts
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:37   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
RavenAvi - I think this is pure speculation and incorrect information. The "export document" and Zauba.com will be having the same price IMO and I repeat, these will have NO bearing on the ex-showroom prices in India.
You have posted the rates of the Honda Jazz being exported from India to Japan. The correct data from Zauba, for the S-Cross SUVs exported to Malaysia from India, is this:

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-untitled.gif

Last edited by RavenAvi : 2nd June 2015 at 20:39.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:49   #340
BHPian

Quote:
You have posted the rates of the Honda Jazz being exported from India to Japan. The correct data from Zauba, for the S-Cross SUVs exported to Malaysia from India, is this:
I know that I had posted the screenshots pertaining to Jazz exported to Japan. But I think you did not get the point of my post. The purpose of posting data related to Jazz was to prove that the export value marked in such documents hold NO RELEVANCE to the real market pricing. Please read the portion bold and italics in my post below.

Quote:

There have been various instances to prove this and I am attaching a couple of them below. Jazz E, S, SV and VX models have the same price.

And, Jazz S being more expensive compared to VX. Also, S and VX having different prices on different days.
To make my point even more clear, the exported car is a S-Cross 1.6 diesel variant. Do you really think it will retail for less than 8 lakhs in India?? I repeat - The post by Shifting gears is based on wrong assumptions and data. Base variant of S-Cross (1.4 L petrol or 1.3 L diesel) might have an ex-showroom price less than 8 lakhs, but the evidence given by the article is nothing short of a humbug.

Last edited by Vigkey : 2nd June 2015 at 20:52.
Old 2nd June 2015, 23:29   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You have posted the rates of the Honda Jazz being exported from India to Japan. The correct data from Zauba, for the S-Cross SUVs exported to Malaysia from India, is this
Quote:
I know that I had posted the screenshots pertaining to Jazz exported to Japan. But I think you did not get the point of my post. The purpose of posting data related to Jazz was to prove that the export value marked in such documents hold NO RELEVANCE to the real market pricing. Please read the portion bold and italics in my post below.

To make my point even more clear, the exported car is a S-Cross 1.6 diesel variant. Do you really think it will retail for less than 8 lakhs in India?? I repeat - The post by Shifting gears is based on wrong assumptions and data. Base variant of S-Cross (1.4 L petrol or 1.3 L diesel) might have an ex-showroom price less than 8 lakhs, but the evidence given by the article is nothing short of a humbug.
I am not vouching for the article, but in general curious to know the import export trends.

First, the exported cars from India for testing have had varying prices as declared during export. For example, the Ciaz had a declared value of 15L during prototyping stages while the final versions sent to Japan had less than half of that amount declared on paper. Isnt this a result of the bill of materials? The prototypes would have had more expensive parts which were maybe not mass produced. Once the production started, these prices might have come down.

Now coming to the S-Cross, can we assume that the price shown in Zauba is the ex-factory price, which excludes some taxes(not from commerce background) and dealer margins, etc? Since it is being sent from MSIL directly for the exhibition and will be returned back after the event, without being sold, maybe this doesnt include taxes or so?
Old 2nd June 2015, 23:30   #342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's because Exports are always in Foreign exchange & value that we see in Zauba is Assessable Value calculated in INR by multiplying Foreign Exchange value on Invoice with Exchange rate of that period notified by customs . Sometime custom changes this more than once in a month so even if Invoice value is same - Assessable value in INR will change like in the case mentioned by you as you can check from below links for month of February 2015

http://www.cbec.gov.in/exchange-rate2015-idx.htm

Quote:
To make my point even more clear, the exported car is a S-Cross 1.6 diesel variant. Do you really think it will retail for less than 8 lakhs in India?
You are correct , if you check just the engine cost of 1,6 Ltr -again from Zauba - its around 2 Lac Plus duties so there is no way this Car can be priced @ 8 Lac

But there is a possibility of calculating approximate Ex- Showroom rate - we need to add Excise Duty @ 24 % ( Considering as Car not SUV ) + VAT 12 % over & above the Assessable value which should translate something like 10,70 Lac as in Exports no such duties will be applicable .. if they are indeed able to price top-spec version under 11 Lac it can surely be a hit

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd June 2015 at 23:37.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 00:10   #343
Senior - BHPian

What is this car ! I mean this doesn't fit any category and its neither here nor there. I expect this bomb and for the reasons stated above.
Its not sub/rugged like the Duster and its not sophisticated like Hyundais new SUV.
Old 3rd June 2015, 00:51   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

--Anoop
Quote:
Upon zooming in the picture you actually see that they are wheel caps. Attaching a picture of the S cross with alloys
[Pic credit: indian autos blog]

Edit: correction, my apologies the picture i posted was from the moscow motor show. Upon looking closely again the pictures posted in the previous page are in fact alloys and not wheel caps. They look hideous compared to the one that was showcased in the moscow motor show. What a shame.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-newsuzukisx4atthe2014moscowmotorshowwheel1024x682.jpg  

Last edited by rockporiom : 3rd June 2015 at 00:58.
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:05   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Interior pics, courtesy Shifting Gears:

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_0935.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_0936.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-3img_0937.jpg

Quote:
Now, we’ve received interior pictures as well which confirm the following creature comfort:
  • Perforated leather seat covers
  • Leather wrapped gear knob
  • Leather wrapped multi-function steering wheel
  • Silver accents on centre console flowing around the gear lever
  • Driver arm rest with storage spot
  • Smartplay touchscreen infotainment system
  • Reverse camera
  • Chrome door handles
  • Silver accents on door pads
  • Rear AC vents
  • 60:40 rear seat split
This is the production-spec model.