Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2015, 12:13   #916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
May I offer you a suggestion? Please go back and consider a test drive of the highest end Aria, before you commit for the XUV, especially since the only reason you seem swaying for the Mahindra is the last row of seats. Take the test drive with your full family and the kids in the last row, and then decide. IMO the Aria can do all what the Storme does, has slightly better interiors, more gizmos and has higher power. If the MUV shape doesn't bother you much the Aria is the way to go...
I agree fully. Had been driving a ARIA Pleasure for nearly 4 months now & coming from a Safari to Innova to ARIA, I can safely say it is better than Safari in terms of interior quality & Innova in terms of power & highway NVH.

Try out both. My money would be the Pleasure 4x2 unless you absolutely want & need all the bells & whistles of the Pride 4x4.
Ameya Janvekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 12:54   #917
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Thanks folks for the suggestions, will definitely check the Aria. And sorry for taking the discussion off-topic since this is essentially a Storme thread..

Just one additional point on the Storme.

For the test drive I had to take the storme out from where it was parked - a very narrow alley which required it to be taken out, a three-point turn to be made in a tight space, and maneouver past a narrow strip which had a few cars parked on one side and a cut on the other side.. I was amazed by how easy it was to take tbe beast out!! for some reason the salesperson trusted me to take out the brand new demo car from what could be considered a very tricky move, but kudos to the car, I came out with my dignity intact :-)
Bigzero is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 16:47   #918
Senior - BHPian

My Storme TD.
I got a call from Wasan Motors and they got the Storme EX for TD. I asked, why not the top end Vx, since i had mentioned i was interested in a 4x4. Apparently, this is the only TD vehicle available. It was not registered and had 4500 kms on the odo.

Total TD distance was only approx 15 kms. I wonder why they cant offer a proper long test drive for an already existing Safari owner.

Looks - Looks are subjective, however, this Storme looks better than the earlier one due to the redesigned grill. I love the raise bonnet panel. Adds to the muscular look and feel. Since it was raining i could not have a good look at the interiors at standstill with all doors open. However, the interiors feel very roomy compared to my Dicor. The black interior finish is very good. Plastic quality is very good. Seems built to last.
They have replaced the clock with a black cover with Safari written on it. Why didn't they make the lettering in chrome. right now it looks like a 10 rs plastic cover.
The silver finish on the dashboard is quite good and not in your face.
Steering has a nice chunky feel. The doorside pockets are large and can easily take a 1 liter water bottle.
The front seat seems to have lost some under thigh support compared to the Dicor. It feels shorter and less supportive. The backrest however feels vastly improved.
Not sure why they still cant provide telescopic adjustment for the steering even in the top variant Safari Vx.
The glovebox size has increased and looks like a neat flush unit integrated into the dashboard.
I did not check the back seat and beyond due to rains.
Plastic quality has seen leaps of improvement. Seems built to last.
No comments on the integrated music system since i turned it off to check NVH levels.
One grouse, for the driver, the left leg constantly touches the side panel of the entertainment console around the sides of the knee while driving. This panel could have been a softer cushioned panel.
But yes, this is still the best driver and passenger seat to be in compared to any suv in the market today. The commanding view and massive glasshouse has a charm and feel of its own.

Engine - After driving a Safari Dicor 2.2 for 7 years, I have begun to HATE in cabin noise( tire noise, wind noise, road noise, engine noise). The Dicor has a lot of wind noise. I could not drive the Storme long enough to check the wind noise. However, there is substantially more engine noise inside the cabin compared to my 7 yr old Safari that was highlighted even by my technically incompetent wife who is now actively involved in all TDs and whose non technical inputs i appreciate.

The Varicor engine is quite a revelation compared to the 2.2 Dicor. Its got grunt and i can only imagine how the 4L will be in this state of tune. Through the gears, the engine still does seem to have some(very little) lag at low rpm, but nothing to write home about at all. The in gear acceleration(pickup) from 30kph in 3rd gear is quite good. That kick at 2200 rpm due to turbo spooling is gone, but the acceleration is very linear and strong.
The gear lever still feels truck like with that loooong throw. Why Tata, cant your engineers find a solution to this in so many years? Gearshift is still rubbery and this rubbery feel becomes even more rubbery after 3 years of use. This is not a reliability issue, but it just feels like s***. Why cant they provide a short slick gearshift?
The clutch is super light, like my Wagon R.

Ride, handling & braking - The brakes are very good. Braking hard to slow down from 110kph to 50 in heavy rain is very confidence inspiring. I replicated this braking from 110 to 50kph even over potholes on the western express highway and i must say, the vehicle holds its poise and tracks in a straight line. Steering while braking over these potholes and bumps too, does not rattle the vehicle and the driver can very easily maintain control. Having said that, there is one serious problem however - drive through potholes fast and the effect is felt in your palms through the steering. This is very un-nerving. If you have to drive through 50 km bad patch you will feel every big pothole or hump in your palm.
The suspension is by far the best in the business beating even the Toyota Fortuner, hands down. The occupants stay composed even when you suddenly hit a rough patch. Body roll seems controlled, though i didnt get enough opportunity to fully check this.
Turning radius is tight and excellent too. I took the same turn at the same place in almost the same distance as the Scorpio.

The TD Storme had done 4500 kms. In my unbiased opinion, i can say the following -
The Scorpio S10 i had driven earlier, loses the comparison on all counts and should not even figure in the buyers list if one is looking for a good, comfortable, spacious and capable suv. Why - the Storme beats the Scorpio hands down on all parameters.
You could compare the Storme to the xuv in some ways, but the Xuv is not a proper ladder on frame suv and is best driven on the road than off it. However, the xuv does offer a lot of enticing kit and electronic gizmos( im not sure how much of that kit on offer is actually niggle free).
Whatever kit the Storme has on offer is purely functional stuff. I steer clear of electronic wizardry on any offering by any Indian manufacturer purely due to reliability concerns. On that note, i will write off the Xuv, because once out of warranty, the pain on your wallet is unbearable. A very dear friend who owns a 2.5yr old, W8 Xuv is crying foul about Mahindra and is trying to get rid of it due to reliability issues regarding all the electronics.The Storme is nothing more than a superb 5 seater suv that can take you places without much thought. Forget about that afterthought bench at the back. There are no electronic extras.

This is the first time ive driven a Storme since its launch. It a much much improved Tata product that makes a very tempting case for me to put my money on. If anyone is looking for a fussfree mile muncher, go and buy it without much thought.
Regarding reliability - from my personal experience Tata honors warranty much better than Mahindra. And most of the niggles, if any, show up in the 1st 2 years. After that, its usually a dream run. My Safari is due for replacement, however, im waiting for the AT to be launched. AT 4wd is what i want. I will put my money on the table after that.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 14th June 2015 at 17:10.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 16:56   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
My Storme TD.

However, there is substantial engine noise inside the cabin compared to my 7 yr old Safari that was highlighted even by my technically incompetent wife who is now actively involved in all TDs and whose non technical inputs i appreciate.

The suspension is by far the best in the business beating even the Toyota Fortuner, hands down.
1) Did you mean substantial less engine noise filtering into the cabin?

2) I thought Toyota Fortuner had a rather poor suspension setup
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 17:12   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
1) Did you mean substantial less engine noise filtering into the cabin?

Edited & Corrected - I meant it has substantially more in cabin engine noise compared to my 2.2 Dicor.
Old 14th June 2015, 21:04   #921
Senior - BHPian

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/06/car...facelift-2016/

Storme AT with 6 speed gearbox coming.
The wait for christmas begins.
Old 14th June 2015, 23:14   #922
BANNED

Quote:
http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/06/car...facelift-2016/

Storme AT with 6 speed gearbox coming.
The wait for christmas begins.
In 2016? Why so late? Is AT such a rocket science for Tatas? When will they learn? Scorpio came with AT as far back as 2008 ( it is different matter that their 2014 refresh is yet to come with AT). Diesel beasts of SUVs are best enjoyed with shift-free drives. Take the chore of shifting and clutch-pumping out of driving and focus on traffic, enjoy the 2nd floor driving view looking down on traffic. I expected AT in 2012 refresh. That did not happen. I was certain 2015 refresh would have it. Naaaw. Tata just will never learn. I'm sure 2016 will come and go and they will still be thinking.
Old 15th June 2015, 00:47   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
+1. Fortuner should come NO where close in the 'comfort' parameter. Storme is light years ahead of Fortuner on terms of suspension & ride quality.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 03:29   #924
BHPian

Despite seeing the comparisons being made with xuv 5oo, I believe its not logical to compare both the vehicles.

The Storme is a competitor to the Scorpio, not the xuv, period. In my opinion it is sensible to compare the xuv and aria since both have three rows of seats and exist as separate segments(MUV/crossover) .

I understand both the vehicles give a person a hard time making a decision due to similar price points and the desirability of the vehicles itself, but its an unfair comparison between Storme and XUV.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 10:00   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Edited & Corrected - I meant it has substantially more in cabin engine noise compared to my 2.2 Dicor.
Jay, maybe, in our Dicor 2.2's, its the wind noise that is negating the engine noise, making the engine feel quiter ;-) Just my guess.
Old 15th June 2015, 10:20   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've measured in cabin noise in 2.2 dicor and storme using the same android phone app
Dicor
Idling 70db
Cruise at 120 90 db

Storme
Idling 50db
Cruise at 120 70 db
Storme is far more silent
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 10:21   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
The Storme is a competitor to the Scorpio, not the xuv, period. In my opinion it is sensible to compare the xuv and aria since both have three rows of seats and exist as separate segments(MUV/crossover) .
I also wanted to rest drive a Scorpio but my wife refused to go any further once she opened it's door.
Old 15th June 2015, 10:24   #928
BHPian

Quote:
I've measured in cabin noise in 2.2 dicor and storme using the same android phone app
Dicor
Idling 70db
Cruise at 120 90 db

Storme
Idling 50db
Cruise at 120 70 db
Thanks for the data point apachelongbow! This is why I love team bhp
Old 15th June 2015, 10:40   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Jay, maybe, in our Dicor 2.2's, its the wind noise that is negating the engine noise, making the engine feel quiter ;-) Just my guess.
Well, i wasnt guessing when i made that statement. I reported engine noise at idling and at driving speeds under 80kph at which point wind noise is not a factor at all.
My ears are keen enough to tell the difference between all the different noises at different speeds

Quote:
Dicor
Idling 70db
Cruise at 120 90 db

Storme
Idling 50db
Cruise at 120 70 db
Thanks for the input. I shudve used the app too. I have it on my fone but never thought of it. I guess im not as smart as the smartfone
Old 15th June 2015, 11:01   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dicor
Idling 70db
Cruise at 120 90 db

Storme
Idling 50db
Cruise at 120 70 db
That's been pretty evident to me and my Dicor buddies even without an app. Hence my surprise on hearing the Storme was noisier inside. And the infamous "wind cutting" noise is near absent.

If anything, the Storme's gear knob dances a bit more than the Dicor's when you shut off the vehicles. But that for me is a nice thing. Makes me feel like Santa Singh on Ludhiana stateway in the middle of my boring urbane life.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks