Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2014, 16:51   #301
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
You can read it online or they have a detailed review in this months WHATCAR . Pricing starts at 18 lac for the 2.2 version going upto 22-23 lacs for the 3.2 AT. Launch is imminent in 2015.
As long as Ford India doesn't announce its price, it will remain a speculation at best. That Endeavor at 20L OTR is a far fetched thought IMO.

But if that happens, good news for consumers.
Old 25th December 2014, 03:51   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
As long as Ford India doesn't announce its price, it will remain a speculation at best. That Endeavor at 20L OTR is a far fetched thought IMO.

But if that happens, good news for consumers.
Even i have my doubts but going by the aggressive pricing FORD has adopted offlate , an OTR of 20-22 lacs for 2.2 doesnt seem to be a far fetched dream. Fingers crossed
Old 25th December 2014, 14:30   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Are you out of your mind asking for so many changes to the existing Storme ?

Do you thin...... which they did not offer it in the Storme or do you expect them to read all this and start working on the next refresh ?....

Brother first and foremost its a wish-list and they can be fairly outrageous, secondly if you look at it carefully I havent really asked for something which Tata doesn't already have. Just have a look at my responses in bold below:

1. Space for double-din stereo, immediately below the central A/C vents. The A/C controls should be moved lower (provide stereo only for higher/ top variants)
    Steering mounted controls can be taken care of by using the same steering wheel as the Zest/ Bolt. However space for a double-din stereo unit may be more difficult (expensive) as the A/C vent ducting might have to be altered, havent seen the space behind the A/C switches so can't provide specific comments.

2. Illuminated steering wheel mounted audio controls
  3. Proper MID, if they can provide one for Zest/ Bolt why not for the most aspirational Tata (Just use the same instrument cluster + steering wheel as the Bolt/ Zest)
    They already have these, whats the harm in using this stuff for the storme.

4. Deeper/ more usable cup holders (just redesign the rubberised tray with more depth, refer to McDonald's medium sized fountain coke cup)
    Redesigning the rubberised plastic tray is clearly not rocket science, what they offer currently shows lack of detail.

5. Redesign the drivers door-pad, the power window switches should be located further ahead (use a different design for this door, refer to the original Octavia's door pad design)
    Again lack of detail, the switches were located far more ergonomically in the Dicor, why can't they ensure the same ergonomic comfort for the Storme.

6. Climate control with an independent screen (which would allow for upgrading the stock stereo)
    In my opinion climate control, especially for the top variant priced at INR 15.5 lacs (Delhi) is not recommended but a must at this price point, and they do offer this on their cheaper cars.

7. Apart from auto-down also offer auto-up feature for at least the front power window switches
    IIRC Tata offers auto down functionality for their other cars as well, just renegotiate the vendor contract and maybe for a little extra you could have an additional feature for your entire line-up

8. Air flow adjuster for the rear floor mounted A/C vents
    Is this a very big ask??

9. Black top for the dashboard, door pads, steering wheel and gear knob (Just like the current EX, these things are less reflective and easier to maintain this way)
    Already exists

10. Leather seats (for the top variant)
    Were offered earlier, so in my books this also already exists

11. Black painted roof rails/ side steps and tie-down bars for all variants (the current VX has these in starlight-silver, it looks stupid. In my opinion an SUV is supposed to be butch and not covered in make-up)
    Already exists

Lastly if you look at the current pricing and features distribution across variants. The VX doesn't offer much apart from dual airbags, auto-folding rear view mirrors, wooden trim, alloy wheels and an additional 12v accessory socket for the 3rd row.

Would I buy the Storme with the above shortcomings, in all likelihood YES. (Vitamin M Permitting) but if I do buy a new one I would feel shortchanged, especially if its the VX.

Last edited by maglev : 25th December 2014 at 14:34.
maglev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 01:37   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
I was and still am in the market for a well maintained used Storme (VX only, preferably 4x4), but the asking price for well kept ones is almost the same as the price of a new LX or even EX in some cases. It seems as if I'm almost destined to buy a new one
If that is the case, I wonder, why people complain about the resale value of Tata Vehicles?
Old 26th December 2014, 12:33   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
If that is the case, I wonder, why people complain about the resale value of Tata Vehicles?
Well I am not sure if that's just the perception. Even the Tata guys value their cars like that. I once took my 2012 Aug Safari LX that I had bought for almost 8.5 Lacs OTR and had run 40k kms to a TATA Preowned car Outlet in September 2013.
They valued it at 4.5 Lakhs.

That's how the problem starts. You try selling one and they offer a ridiculously low price as mostly one has to sell to a dealer as its difficlut to find an individual buyer for the Safari. The dealers says look the valuation everywhere says the same. Even the Team-Bhp one.
Now if one goes to buy a Safari, the dealer margin (1-2 lakhs) is added and the price comes upto almost 2 lakhs. So the buyer finds all Safaris selling for almost 7+ lakhs.

I am not sure how this cycle can be broken.
Old 29th December 2014, 21:56   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Well I am not sure if that's just the perception. Even the Tata guys value......

......how this cycle can be broken.

Tata vehicles especially the Safari have poor resale, I am not even debating on that. Let me share the prices that I've seen so far:

1. VX, May 2014, 6k kms, price 13.5L, negotiated to 12L, Delhi registered + 3 years insurance

2. EX, May 2014, 3k kms, price 12L, did not negotiate, Delhi registered + 3 years insurance

3. EX, Jan 2014, 9k kms, price 10L, negotiated to 9.75L, Gurgaon registered

4. VX 4x4, Jan 2013, 19k kms, price 12.5L, negotiated to 11L, Gurgaon registered

5. VX, Nov 2012, 22k kms, price 10L, negotiated to 9L, Gurgaon registered

All of the above are single owner cars and in good shape. They have been on sale since almost 3 months now, but no one is buying them because the owners refuse to reduce prices. I was very very keen on option 4 (only 4x4) at 10L but the owner refuses to budge and had almost bought option 5 but let it go as there was an issue with its airbag unit.

_

Last edited by maglev : 29th December 2014 at 22:00.
Old 29th December 2014, 23:17   #307
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised why cars with such low running are up for sale ? Item 3 looks quite attratively priced considering I bought my Lx back in 2013 Aug for 11.75L on road (of course road tax is much higher here than Delhi ). Anyway let's get back to the topic. Now wait a minute .. What's happening on the updated Storme ? .. Nothing. Better to close this thread !
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 12:22   #308
BHPian

I had recieved a call from Concorde motors stating that new storme would be released in January 2014 and if i would like to pre-book it now. I am not sure if it was an attempt to increase the booking numbers due to year end.
Old 30th December 2014, 13:17   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
I had recieved a call from Concorde motors stating that new storme would be released in January 2014 and if i would like to pre-book it now. I am not sure if it was an attempt to increase the booking numbers due to year end.
Had read about a january soft launch. IMO, it seems highly improbable as they cant handle much on their platter and its time for Bolt. Plus by this time, we would have started seeing the photographs here of undisguised final production model.
Old 30th December 2014, 16:08   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Besides, there has to some training for service staff for changes and generally pictures would have leaked out until now. Looks like he is under pressure to meet his sales/booking targets.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 00:11   #311
BHPian

Just read about the excise duty cut being withdrawn from 1st january 2015. Its gonna throw the storme further away from my budget as i was looking only at the ex variant. I am kinda repenting the decision of waiting for the facelift.
Old 2nd January 2015, 19:56   #312
BHPian

The sales manager from concorde motors visited my house today and informed that new storme launch will be a soft launch and first facelifted car will be reaching them on 15th January.He was very confident and invited me to showroom to take a look and book the car if satisfied.Seems to be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel.
S5157 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 20:36   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seems to be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel.
Although I have very little faith in Tata's commitment to the Storme, I really hope this news is true. Please post some pics of the changes if/after you see them.
Old 4th January 2015, 16:17   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Although I have very little faith in Tata's commitment to the Storme, I really hope this news is true. Please post some pics of the changes if/after you see them.
Absolute +1 to this. From all that we have seen so far, I will be mighty surprised if the 15th Jan date is met. As of now no website is suggesting a Jan launch. But if it does happen then it will be great. Fingers crossed.
Old 4th January 2015, 17:02   #315
BHPian

Quote:
The sales manager from concorde motors visited my house today and informed that new storme launch will be a soft launch and first facelifted car will be reaching them on 15th January.He was very confident and invited me to showroom to take a look and book the car if satisfied.Seems to be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel.
There won't be any Storme launch on January 15. This is confirmed by my old pals in TML. Another point is, sales guys should have got training/information about the vehicle by this time. Sales team doesn't have much clues even before the 10 days of speculated launch means something is not right.
Can you please ask your sales mangaer about additional features/major updates that are going to come in the facelift? Just to test the waters. Please do update if you get any credible news.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed