Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 07:07   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Shocking! Toyota India admits defeat in the small car segment

Having started off completely on the wrong foot with the below-par Etios/Liva in the economy segment, the best way forward for Toyota-assuming they are interested, is to pull the Etios/Liva completely off the market and replace it something plush and modern. It shouldn't matter if they don't have an offering in that space while the replacement is being readied- brand name protection is paramount especially in India.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 08:40   #92
BANNED

The Qualis was designed by a Toyota employee who didn't get his annual increment and decided to get back on the company. Yet, that car was a resounding success.

This probably got Toyota thinking that you could give the Indians anything and they'll lap it up. Unfortunately the game has moved on considerably from the times when the competition to the Qualis existed in the form of a Tata Sumo. It is probably these undeserved successes that made Toyota complacent enough to come out with something like the Etios.

If you said the Etios / Liva were designed by school kids during one of their visits to the Toyota factory, you may not have too many folks doubting that fact.

Some things you learn the hard way.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:21   #93
Senior - BHPian

The reason Toyota Etios / Liva failed is because Toyota failed to understand the difference between a cheap car & a cheaply made car.
amit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:03   #94
BHPian

Is it just me or Liva is not that bad a car. No doubt the interiors are bad, but I fail to find anything else wrong with the car. In fact I love the engine, braking and the ride quality. Its also good on space.

BTW, I do not own one, my FIL does and I love taking his car out for a spin every now and then, its one of those diesels which is a delight to drive in the city.
bruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:22   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
Is it just me or Liva is not that bad a car. No doubt the interiors are bad, but I fail to find anything else wrong with the car. In fact I love the engine, braking and the ride quality. Its also good on space.

BTW, I do not own one, my FIL does and I love taking his car out for a spin every now and then, its one of those diesels which is a delight to drive in the city.
Completely agree with you.

The interiors from March 2013 model on wards appears better with new beige colour combination though the quality of the plastics remains same.

Pre March 2013 models had engine noise filtering in cabin, grey/black interiors were a major let down. Also cost cutting done by Toyota is screaming everywhere. This initial impression left a bad impression in the mind of customers who had good expectation from a Toyota brand apart from being reliable as its USP.

Its to early to comment but having covered 3200 odd kms in my 4 months old Liva diesel there is no rattling, no niggling issues, engine noise filtering in cabin is very minimum but outside its very annoying once even got a sarcastic comment from family friend were he said "I think you bought a helicopter". But that's it apart from that i love the engine, the way car drives in city, the space offered, the comfort, less fatigued after long highway drives and its a 5 people mover for me which satisfies my primary concern when i had finalized it.

But in today's context with all the bells and whistles, list of rich features competition has on offer, Liva fails miserably.

Toyota you need to do something that will appeal to the mass.
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 14:22   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Completely agree with you.

The interiors from March 2013 model on wards appears better with new beige colour combination though the quality of the plastics remains same.

Pre March 2013 models had engine noise filtering in cabin, grey/black interiors were a major let down. Also cost cutting done by Toyota is screaming everywhere. This initial impression left a bad impression in the mind of customers who had good expectation from a Toyota brand apart from being reliable as its USP.

Its to early to comment but having covered 3200 odd kms in my 4 months old Liva diesel there is no rattling, no niggling issues, engine noise filtering in cabin is very minimum but outside its very annoying once even got a sarcastic comment from family friend were he said "I think you bought a helicopter". But that's it apart from that i love the engine, the way car drives in city, the space offered, the comfort, less fatigued after long highway drives and its a 5 people mover for me which satisfies my primary concern when i had finalized it.

But in today's context with all the bells and whistles, list of rich features competition has on offer, Liva fails miserably.

Toyota you need to do something that will appeal to the mass.
I have the Liva with me these days and its absolute fun to drive, especially in the city. I agree other cars have all the gizmos in the world, but for me a good engine, airbags and abs will do. To each his own.

I hope they redo the interiors, decrease the price.
bruiser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 15:05   #97
BHPian

I did not expect to bump this thread : )

Toyota India's newly appointed MD Naomi Ishii says "Made in india small car in near future is not out of the question".

Source:
http://indianautosblog.com/2014/10/i...-toyota-152123
Old 8th October 2014, 19:24   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
I agree with you. Every thing is good about it but the interiors leave the taxi impression. They did so much cost cutting when maruti and Hyundai started offering upgrades to swift and i20
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks