Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 13:42   #946
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
I do not have my original invoice.
My Director (owner of the car) is abroad for two months !
They took my contact details.
Will I be able to work this out ?
Any advice ?
Hi Stevie,
I was in the same predicament, with respect to not having the original invoice for my 13-year old Alto.
In the first attempt at approaching the RTO for the tax computation form ( Form 14 ) I was told, quite harshly, that without the original invoice it would not be issued.
I'd thrown out the invoice when my car loan was completed - 8 years ago.
To complicate matters, the dealer from whom I'd purchased the car is no longer in business !
The second attempt at the RTO was made through an "agent", I had to pay him Rs. 2,500, & he "managed" to get the Form-14 issued for my car.
Apparently, it's not just the State's coffers being filled through this witch-hunt
If your car is not used daily, suggest you try to get the original invoice from the dealer who sold the car - even a copy would do, the RTO are not very particular about that aspect.
If, however, you want a quick resolution, approach an agent - who would be able to get it done in about a day ( or two ).
The tax computation form is mandatory for paying the Road-Tax.
-

Last edited by im_srini : 25th July 2014 at 13:44.
Old 25th July 2014, 13:45   #947
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

For those not having the original or copy of the invoice, the previous RTO should have a copy of it. I believe it's part of the CMV Act to keep a copy of the invoice during registration - and it's used for tax computation also as almost everywhere the tax is a percentage of the car value.

So you can use the RTI Act, or approach the previous RTO for a copy of the invoice.
Old 25th July 2014, 13:54   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Heard that they had checked over 3000 vehicles and 700 odd out of them were in problem. So the 2700 out station vehicles were not troubled and we are talking as if everyone is being.
Quite a fat chance that majority of those 2700 had already paid their LTT (and did not change the numbers).
Old 25th July 2014, 13:58   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
They need the invoice to calculate the tax. They usually accept invoice copy of similar car of the same model and year. So you can post the car model/year here, maybe someone could help in getting the same.
This is the my vehicle:

Tata Xenon Crewcab 4X2 2.2L DIC
Class: LMV-Motor Car
Year of Manufacture: 2009
CC; 2179
Seating Capacity: 5

It was bought at RF Motors, Kochi and tax paid in Kerala is Rs.46140 for a period of 2009 to 2024.

Can someone please help me in this regard? I am trying to get the invoice copy for the same. I called RF Motors but they have not been helpful!
Old 25th July 2014, 14:12   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Quite a fat chance that majority of those 2700 had already paid their LTT (and did not change the numbers).
Fat chance (fact) is they were convinced that only 700 cars with other state numbers were residents of this state. So they need to pay the tax.

So for others they deemed they are really out of state residents. There might be some (like a couple in this thread) where the RTO were out of their minds.

But still we are creating a hype about this (are we not seeing this regularly in our media?)
Old 25th July 2014, 14:25   #951
BHPian

Quote:
But still we are creating a hype about this (are we not seeing this regularly in our media?)
I don't think its a hype when 3000 vehicles gets flagged down in a few days because they were 'outsiders'. This is unprecedented harassment.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:30   #952
BHPian

Does anybody know any instance of military personnel managing their cars/taxes? Since they move from city/state every 2-3 yrs, I wonder how they manage this NOC-LTT-Refund cycle. OR they don't?!
Old 25th July 2014, 14:37   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
What is the maximum period you are allowed to stay in bangalore without having to pay the taX? Many of those techies might be residents of lets say Chennai/Kerala/Pondicherry and drive back to Chennai over the weekend. So which category do they then fall into?
One month (as per the MV Rule amendment). The number of daily commuters from Chennai and Pondicherry are miniscule when compared to the non-KA vehicles plying inside Bangalore city alone. So folks staying for 1-2 weeks can show the toll receipts and get off the hook. But folks having MH, GJ, UP etc. would find it tough convincing the RTO. And also RTO folks are checking for apartment and office parking stickers etc.

Please refer to the comment made by srishiva. The RTO have let off more vehicles than they have actually caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport
According to me, if they have house or rented accommodation in Bangalore, they should be treated as residents.
There is a catch here. These people (tax-evaders) can happily say that they don't stay here. RTO does not have the powers (and means) to get hold of rental agreements from these fellows. So RTO has to use other aspects as evidences. With these evidences if they confront the tax-evaders they would be forced to pay up. That is exactly what is happening. RTO folks checking Apartment buildings and Service stations, are all part of gathering this extra evidence and then challenge the tax-evader.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:43   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
Does anybody know any instance of military personnel managing their cars/taxes? Since they move from city/state every 2-3 yrs, I wonder how they manage this NOC-LTT-Refund cycle. OR they don't?!
For the Defence folks, a quick show of the ID is all it usually takes to make the RTO/Traffic Police to let them pass.
Thankfully, I say. (am not a defence employee)

cheers
Old 25th July 2014, 14:48   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
One month (as per the MV Rule amendment)
Can you post the amendment copy or the link? PM is also Ok!

sagarpadaki posted a TN70 (Hosur, TN regn#) VW Polo caught a few pages back, still to get a concrete update on the car/tax/owner.

Sadly came to know from a Hosur neighbor/Infosian that his friend (again a hosurian/infosian) was forced to pay 50+K for his TN70 Figo. Details awaited.

So the 30 day is either wrong or brushed under the carpet for sake of easy revenue to the RTO coffers!

PS -- for newbies who dont know what Hosur is - Hosur is 7Kms outside the KA state border, about 25Kms from Electronic City and am guessing 500+ cars (1000 bikes may be) travel daily on the NH7 to work in Bangalore and return home after work.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:59   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
For the Defence folks, a quick show of the ID is all it usually takes to make the RTO/Traffic Police to let them pass.
Thankfully, I say. (am not a defence employee)cheers
Till 31st Dec, 2011, all central govt employees had the option of paying annual tax in Karnataka (for new vehicles ) as well.

Rules were changed from Jan 1st 2012 to fill govt coffers.

BTW:Army guys normally get away by flashing their id cards.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/11382721.cms

Waseem.
Old 25th July 2014, 15:10   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard that they had checked over 3000 vehicles and 700 odd out of them were in problem. So the 2700 out station vehicles were not troubled and we are talking as if everyone is being.
Any concrete source for this info? Would like to know the truth behind it.

--Anoop
Old 25th July 2014, 15:30   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aren't military personnel exempt from paying road tax?
Old 25th July 2014, 15:32   #959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Sadly came to know from a Hosur neighbor/Infosian that his friend (again a hosurian/infosian) was forced to pay 50+K for his TN70 Figo. Details awaited.
This is something most of us will not be happy about. Bangalore and Hosur does witness a lot of to and fro traffic day in and out. There are a lot of cars from Bangalore visiting Hosur every day as they work in companies like TVS and Ashok Leyland.

It is only a fact that Hosur is a neighboring industrial town and a lot of Bangaloreans have been working there since years by traveling from their base location (Bangalore).

It is totally acceptable on part of the RTOs to catch hold of violators but TN70 becoming part of this is really surprising.

Why I say this? - I have a colleague who travels from Hosur to Electronics City every day in his Ford Ecosport and he belongs to Hosur.

I can only pity him if he gets caught and is asked to cough up (If at all TN70 stories are genuine).

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th July 2014 at 15:51.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 15:38   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Aren't military personnel exempt from paying road tax?
They have to pay Road tax for their private vehicles.Few states exempt serving personnel from paying road tax even if they buy new vehicles and few states like ours tax them even if they bring their own vehicles from their last posting.

I am sure few among us would justify this act of Govt as well.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/11382721.cms

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 25th July 2014 at 15:41.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks