Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2014, 13:37   #76
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

As per the rule, to get the refund from the parent RTO we need to get the NOC from there and get the registration done at the current RTO and produce the proof at the parent RTO.
Old 17th March 2014, 13:41   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
The following link that I have posted is a petition to the Transport Minister of Karnataka to introduce a system of paying road tax on a yearly basis rather than the life time tax payment which is not possible for us to do everytime we move to a different state. One of my friends just started the petition. Requesting all team-bhp members to vote for the petition and hope that such a change comes around.

https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...ivate-vehicles
Thank You! Signed it.

When you want a change, first, you need to be the change!
Old 17th March 2014, 13:49   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Cops are very very active all over Bangalore right now. People travelling to Bangalore are advised to retain toll receipts and any other documentary evidence to prove that they are on a short trip to Bangalore.

Apart from catching out of state vehicles, they are also on the lookout for cars with sunfilms. I was surprised to see cops with challan books standing at virtually every corner when I drove into the city yesterday.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 13:57   #79
Senior - BHPian

We may have to think other side of story as well. What could have lead the government to issue such notification. It is evident that more cars come to Karnataka permanently than going out. Also, many out of state cars openly flouting the rule of 11 month of tax payment even they are residing/having flat in Karnataka permanently.

People go nearby state and buy cars with cheap taxes and come to Karnataka for permanent stay. If this is the case then some genuine guys who are actually tourists, have short term stay will perish along with permanent offenders.

Even, I had out of state car in Karnataka for which I paid tax and changed registration number, used and sold. I have mentioned method of changing registration number in Karnataka somewhere in this forum in some thread. Believe me, it is not that hard as advertised. I have experience of changing registration number for 1 car and 2 two wheelers of mine. I have never paid a single rupee bribe and never taken help of any touts. Only thing is, you have to understand the procedure well in advance.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 14:18   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
We may have to think other side of story as well. What could have lead the government to issue such notification. It is evident that more cars come to Karnataka permanently than going out. Also, many out of state cars openly flouting the rule of 11 month of tax payment even they are residing/having flat in Karnataka permanently.

People go nearby state and buy cars with cheap taxes and come to Karnataka for permanent stay. If this is the case then some genuine guys who are actually tourists, have short term stay will perish along with permanent offenders.

Even, I had out of state car in Karnataka for which I paid tax and changed registration number, used and sold. I have mentioned method of changing registration number in Karnataka somewhere in this forum in some thread. Believe me, it is not that hard as advertised. I have experience of changing registration number for 1 car and 2 two wheelers of mine. I have never paid a single rupee bribe and never taken help of any touts. Only thing is, you have to understand the procedure well in advance.
Bang On! Banks such as HDFC bank also help in facilitating this. Car loan is taken in Bangalore because bloke stays here and works here. And intends to be here for a long part of his active career. He wants to save tax so car delivery is taken in Kerala. Have seen this happen at the HDFC Kundalahalli Gate branch. Quite common. Net result - everyone happy.

Till such taxation amendments happen. Then everyone cries foul, including the above car loan customer. Thanks to him saving few thousands, poor short-stay visitors are now inconvenienced.
carZest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 14:54   #81
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning a trip to Mysore (week long) and now I'm worried - I shall be driving my AP registered car from Hyderabad and back after one week.

Is there anything I can do to avoid harassment?
Old 17th March 2014, 14:57   #82
BHPian

Can you imagine the situation ( maybe 10 years from now) in our India when there might be many more new states like Telengana, ( a fragmented India with so many small states ), the different tax structure in all these states. I can foresee the day when a motorist may miss a turn or take a diversion and may be asked to pay tax because he has entered another state. Such outdated laws and harassment can only happen in our united India.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2014 at 15:11. Reason: Typos
vipinendran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 15:24   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
The best way to address this is to ensure a india wide tax which permits the car to be driven anywhere in India. I still dont understand why this cant be implemented. Let the state collect the road tax on behalf of the center or the central govt, give a % to the state government. Alternately out station vehicles should be given an option to pay road tax on a yearly/half yearly basis akin to a taxi permit. This would enable folks on a short term assignment to drive peacefully.
Good point indeed, but isn't road tax a state subject? As far as I remember, it is not even on the concurrent list. So doesn't this call for an amendment of the Constitution, which will be very time-consuming and laborious?

And I doubt if any of the elected members of Parliament will bother about this, as they do not face this agony.
Old 17th March 2014, 15:26   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for posting the link . I have signed. Very good Initiative.
If there are any lawyers in the group they can also add their view if we need to take the matters into the notice of the High court / Supreme court.
Trying to reach out to the Transport ministers of neighboring states also would be something that we can try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Yearly tax is not practical. Early most states had yearly tax.

It was difficult for us tax payers because every year we had to queue up to pay tax. In came the agents and we had to pay them bribe to pay tax every year.

Then there was the problem of people not paying tax yearly and then the authorities setting up checking at various places.
Standing in queue to pay taxes is kind of story of the past. Kerala RTO mandates the payment of tax online. Most of the states mention the url where one can pay traffic rule violation fines. If states do not have that, let them set that up.
Even now the cops are literally everywhere checking for other state vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

Its a valid point no doubt. Its very interesting to note that most of the PY registered cars are Jaguars/ Mercs/ Porsches / Ferraris. You hardly see them stopped or asked to pay LTT in Karnataka. The reason for them being exempted is not rocket science.
Its really funny that the RTO is hardly bothered about NOC while paying LTT. All they worry is getting money from the common man.

I don't think anyone has a problem in paying tax. The problem is that most of the guys working these days move within the country for better roles / salary. For me I used to work in Bangalore for a couple of years and now I am in Pune. So if every state mandates payment of LTT, its going to be a lot of money in the government treasury.

If the government cannot ensure uniform tax / atleast similar taxes across the country, there should be a possibility for those who care about the law to pay yearly taxes.
Old 17th March 2014, 15:49   #85
BHPian

I too have signed your petition.
A PIL should be introduced to put a stop to this extortion. That road tax is due in the state where a car is running is not the issue, this is the state's legitimate demand & they are entitled to it. But why should a motorist be called upon to run around getting a refund from one state, AFTER having paid tax in the second state ???? I am sure if some legal eagles take it up, they will find something discriminatory about "double taxation: etc. After all, countries have treaties to avoid double income tax, so why not the states of India ????
State machineries are all "on-line"now. According to me, the tax the visiting state demands & is actually entitled to, should always be calculated AFTER DEDUCTING the tax already paid from the state of registration. Internally, they can make a claim on the state of registration & adjust the difference between states much as the RBI clearing house for outstation cheques works.

Quote:
The following link that I have posted is a petition to the Transport Minister of Karnataka to introduce a system of paying road tax on a yearly basis rather than the life time tax payment which is not possible for us to do everytime we move to a different state. One of my friends just started the petition. Requesting all team-bhp members to vote for the petition and hope that such a change comes around.

https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...ivate-vehicles
shramik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 16:14   #86
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
How can one avail this? Could you share more details?
No John. It was just an idea.

I have signed the online petition
Old 17th March 2014, 16:54   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
I too have signed your petition.
A PIL should be introduced to put a stop to this extortion. That road tax is due in the state where a car is running is not the issue, this is the state's legitimate demand & they are entitled to it. But why should a motorist be called upon to run around getting a refund from one state, AFTER having paid tax in the second state ???? I am sure if some legal eagles take it up, they will find something discriminatory about "double taxation: etc. After all, countries have treaties to avoid double income tax, so why not the states of India ????
Absolutely agree with you. A PIL has to be filed - the government machinery should not just penalize the tax payers for its inefficiency to regulate.
Old 17th March 2014, 17:33   #88
BHPian

Friends, the other option which may not sound viable will be dispose the car in the home state and buy a new car in the new state. The call has to be taken based on the resale value vis a vis the road tax to be paid in the new state in the event the car is being retained. We definitely need a far more simpler system than the madness we are being forced to deal with.
Old 17th March 2014, 18:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

I think what is more barbaric is the fact that they amended the law close to year end closing, to meet their targets.

Thats why you see them everywhere these days. This will go on till 31st March in full force.
Old 17th March 2014, 19:34   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prafulasher View Post
Why can't there be a uniform taxation policy throughout the country?

Even if it is difficult to have a lifetime "India" tax, let it be implemented at the regional RTO level. I'd say while transferring a car to another state, the RTO of origin needs to furnish an NOC for sale as well as a letter bearing the responsibility of transferring the pro-rata tax collected to the target RTO.

The individual people should not be made to go through the trouble of paying tax at the target RTO and then claiming a partial refund at the source.
We can't have a uniform tax; some states/districts do not spend enough on infrastructure to warrant charging a high tax, others do.
What we need is an implmentation to use a 'cashless' facility to have the funds transferred between states and credit or debit the delta.
That'll never happen though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks