Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 11:42   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

I saw the RTO near the Manyata tech park just a while back. They are not at their usual place of the complex entrance, but a little ahead near the Nagawara flyover. Though I am a little neutral in this whole aspect, thought of passing on this information for the 'benefit' of others.
Old 24th July 2014, 11:43   #857
Team-BHP Support

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
He would need to show address proof and where he files his taxes
That won't help. He would be paying TDS, which is with the company in ECity. Also, i don't think the company is going to help him, as he is not staying in Hosur at the company's recommendation. He like many others wold have chosen to reside in Hosur for various reasons of their own.
Old 24th July 2014, 11:49   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going by the RTO perso's logic, assuming the polo owner is ready to pay KA tax + regn whatever, Is KA govt ready to accept and issue a new RC book with KA Reg details but with TN address? I think all RTOs insist on a local address proof that too within the circle of the RTO. When they dont entertain things from other circles within the same town, How will they handle a scenario when the circle is not at all in KA.

- I hope they dont ask the Polo owner to buy a house in KA just for an address for the VW Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
That won't help. He would be paying TDS, which is with the company in ECity. Also, i don't think the company is going to help him, as he is not staying in Hosur at the company's recommendation. He like many others wold have chosen to reside in Hosur for various reasons of their own.
The company need not help him with anything out of the way. All they need to do is to provide a letter stating that as per company records, the person is residing at the address mentioned below --> xx apartments, yy road, Hosur, TN. Company issued letter along with ID Card photocopy is honoured at many places like mobile phone / internet connections / Salary account opening etc.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 24th July 2014 at 11:55.
Old 24th July 2014, 11:56   #859
BHPian

RTO check in progress at Hebbal.
Old 24th July 2014, 11:57   #860
BHPian

Hi,

Need some urgent advice. My wife was driving my TN registered Figo today and got pulled over by RTO. After a long wait, they seized her licence, RC book and a few other docs and asked her to come to the Yestwantpur RTO (I live in Sarjapur road and she got caught near Manyata). I am going out of the country next week and need to sort it asap. A few questions:

- What should I take to the RTO to pay the tax + fine? Any documents?

- Would they accept cash, cheque or do I need a DD?

- Is the process as simple as paying the fine and getting the docs? or is there more to it? There reason I ask is because Yeshwantpur is very far from where I live and I cant keep going there back and forth. I am out of the country as well.

- How long does this process take?

Please help. thank you!
Old 24th July 2014, 12:05   #861
BHPian

RTO Check in progress at New BEL Road Dollars Colony Bus Stop for outside State Registration.
RTO officials along with Traffic Police seizing cars.
Old 24th July 2014, 12:08   #862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Well han can say that he "works from home" in Hosur and vists E-City office one or twice a month only for some meetings.

- Your friend should have have told that sticker belongs to HCL Chennai. He is visting bangalore for one day only...
Why does he need to do these things? His is a genuine case who stays outside the KA state. Just because he travels in every day does NOT mean he has to pay taxes. The same way he comes in, he leaves end of the day too!

Now imagine the TN RTO doing the same if he had a KA registration car. They will ask him to pay the taxes because he sleeps inside TN boundary everyday?

Quote:
You mean to say that show the address on the IT returns? Would that be counted? Coz, though I have worked in different states, I always had my Kerala address mentioned while filing returns.

Edit:: I am really looking for some strong "fair" actions as a result of the PIL planned by some guys on the forum! This sh*t & high handedness can't go for long.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th July 2014 at 12:10.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 12:11   #863
BHPian

Quote:
The company need not help him with anything out of the way. All they need to do is to provide a letter stating that as per company records, the person is residing at the address mentioned below --> xx apartments, yy road, Hosur, TN. Company issued letter along with ID Card photocopy is honoured at many places like mobile phone / internet connections / Salary account opening etc.
I work for HCL Chennai and getting a letter with address as per company records is a very simple process. We can directly download and it is digitally signed. The question is whether RTO guys will be ready to accept? Going by the case history, it seems they want our friend to pay the tax for commuting to Bangalore daily from Hosur. This is insane.
Old 24th July 2014, 12:15   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman
I had previously supported the RTO drive, Now with blackpearl's case and the above mentioned case, I feel these guys are taking this too far.
Totally agree with you. I am all in favour of targetting people who stay put at Bangalore with their non-KA vehicles and evade the taxes. They should be hounded down, and forced to pay the tax. But targetting daily visitors is certainly taking the law to the extremes. In that case Tamil Nadu RTO should just put up two-three squads at Zuzuvadi, TVS Road and start targetting KA vehicles.

RTO seems to be assuming that since a person "works" at Bangalore, he needs to pay KA road tax. That is incorrect. But IT employees are sitting ducks. They are a classic case of Dhobi ka kutha - na ghar kaa, na ghaat ka. They are not a voting power in Karnataka or in their own home states. They cannot influence any one. I am sure if RTO tries such a heavy drive in any of the Central Govt. establishments,Army units or Railways; things would have got escalated big time.
Old 24th July 2014, 12:21   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why does he need to do these things? His is a genuine case who stays outside the KA state. Just because he travels in every day does NOT mean he has to pay taxes. The same way he comes in, he leaves end of the day too!
Now imagine the TN RTO doing the same if he had a KA registration car. They will ask him to pay the taxes because he sleeps inside TN boundary everyday?
The Law does NOT require one to pay tax, if he does not have a residence in his name. A car can be registered to a person ONLY if he has a proof of local residence. The Polo owner can argue and tell that his residence is in Hosur, he works in Chennai and sometimes comes to bangalore for meetings.

To convince the law to the police / RTO is another thing.

even if one is ready to pay, RTO cannot accpet it as it is outside thier circle and a KA RTO cannot vouch for the geniuness of a TN Address. Even if polo is ready to pay the road tax, they will shoo him off telling he is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
I work for HCL Chennai and getting a letter with address as per company records is a very simple process. We can directly download and it is digitally signed. The question is whether RTO guys will be ready to accept? Going by the case history, it seems they want our friend to pay the tax for commuting to Bangalore daily from Hosur. This is insane.
Address proof by company is very much valid. When we have so many instruments to prove that we are not residing in bangalore, the RTO folks would in all probablity agree and look for another person to target. Anyway the KA govt is getting income from the "toll" that vehicles pay.
Old 24th July 2014, 12:23   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Totally agree with you. I am all in favour of targetting people who stay put at Bangalore with their non-KA vehicles and evade the taxes. They should be hounded down, and forced to pay the tax. But targetting daily visitors is certainly taking the law to the extremes. In that case Tamil Nadu RTO should just put up two-three squads at Zuzuvadi, TVS Road and start targetting KA vehicles.

RTO seems to be assuming that since a person "works" at Bangalore, he needs to pay KA road tax. That is incorrect. But IT employees are sitting ducks. They are a classic case of Dhobi ka kutha - na ghar kaa, na ghaat ka. They are not a voting power in Karnataka or in their own home states. They cannot influence any one. I am sure if RTO tries such a heavy drive in any of the Central Govt. establishments,Army units or Railways; things would have got escalated big time.
Absolutely the PIL if anyone planning should focus on key issues.
1) Grace period of minimum 3 months.
2) Option to pay yearly tax.
3) Relaxation for people staying in border towns.
Old 24th July 2014, 12:26   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Law does NOT require one to pay tax, if he does not have a residence in his name. A car can be registered to a person ONLY if he has a proof of local residence.
Can you clarify on this point? So are you saying that my wife (for example) can buy cars and evade taxes? She does not own a home in Bangalore, my home in Kerala is registered in my name, her ancestral home in Kerala still is under her father's name. Now that would be one smart way to evade tax . My understanding is that Rule 47 on CMV Rules is clear on that point. That every vehicle needs to get registered. The valid address proofs (including an affidavit from a magistrate) is required for the same. So to register your vehicle you need to prove your address (and age), and registration only happens after you pay the road tax.

Came back to say.. The requirement of a local proof of residence is only required for re-registering the vehicle. The tax collection is different. Rule 47 talks about registering the vehicle.
So it is:-
1. You take delivery of a new vehicle, you have to get it registered. For registration address proof is mandatory, and payment of road tax is also mandatory.
2. For road tax collection, re-registration is NOT mandatory and hence address proof is also not mandatory. State is collecting taxes because the vehicle is driven in that state most of the time.

I must say the rules are really ambiguous. Even CMV Rules do not list out things clearly. Looks like it is the state specific MV rules which is at play here.

Last edited by sachinpk : 24th July 2014 at 12:29. Reason: More points added in..
Old 24th July 2014, 12:31   #868
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This, my friend is what i have been trying to say all along. Karnataka is not an island state. It shares its borders with other states. To wreck havoc in what is already a delicate relationship between KA-TN, all that TN needs to do is setup similar traps just outside the KA border as cars enter Hosur. Imagine the number of KA vehicles which would be commuting across on a weekend. On a normal weekend the number of KA vehicles going to Hogennakkal in itself is good enough.

As someone whose KA registered car bore the brunt in TN during the Cauvery water riots, i reiterate that all this regionalistic attitude is only going to create more problems. That said, during this tense time, i had to drive my KA registered car via TN to KL as my mom was admitted to hospital suddenly. Now imagine similar situations for someone from KA with a TN registered car who has to drive in to Bangalore for some urgent purpose!
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 12:37   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... She does not own a home in Bangalore, my home in Kerala is registered in my name, her ancestral home in Kerala still is under her father's name......
I think a rental agreement of her or yours would suffice.

To add, why is this crack down only in Bangalore? SUVs with AP registration are plying largly without any issues in North Karnataka cities. Can these guys touch them? It won't be as easy as IT folks.

Last edited by coolclouds : 24th July 2014 at 12:49.
Old 24th July 2014, 12:48   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
This, my friend is what i have been trying to say all along. Karnataka is not an island state.
Yeah, but that also should not be used as a reason Karnataka to forgo her tax dues. Targetting a daily visitor from the border areas - even though he works in Karnataka on a daily basis - is incorrect. Targetting people who stay in Bangalore, working daily at Bangalore - using what ever means possible - is correct.

If I were the RTO, I would have given the Hosur (and even Krishnagiri) vehicles a miss. And same goes for a few MH vehicles which may be operating in Belgaum or other North KA areas. Yes, there would be a few smart cookies who may escape, but that would be miniscule. But sharp focus on KL, AP, MH, GJ,MP,HR vehicles in Bangalore city would bring in the results. Because they just cannot say that they are daily visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds
I think a rental agreement of her or yours would suffice.
True . So using the rental agreement I (or my wife) would get the vehicle registered. And at the same point of time I may my road tax well. At this step we cannot skip the tax paying part. How ever if an RTO catches for me, they need to wait for me to provide a local address proof - in order to make me pay the Karnataka road tax . Because then all I need to do is play the fool and say that I don't have any address proof. So that is why Karnataka RTO is focusing on company parking stickers, apartment parking stickers etc. etc.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th July 2014 at 12:02. Reason: Only 2 smileys are allowed per post.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks