Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2014, 22:42   #676
Team-BHP Support

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Well, rules are rules whether stupid or not.

While, I do feel sorry for the visitors who have been caught out by this. I have no sympathy for the PY/MP tax evaders nor the long term evaders. My neighbour is one of them, he goes bananas when people badly park or go down the one way in the wrong direction but he refuses to pay the tax.

We recently took over a company with 18 people and moving them to Bangalore. I clearly told them about the LTT issue. Some took the conscious effort to get an NOC and trigger the process. Some decided to sell and buy new.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 22:43   #677
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Sir, police and RTO are all part of the Home Ministry in Karnataka state. Do you think we can play police against the RTO and scoot? No way. The RTO has every authority to stop any vehicle, check documents and ensure the tax dues for KA state are paid up. The law can be unfair, but unfair laws have to be changed in a different way. Such emotional responses would not work out.
But Blackpearl is in the frame work of law and is staying in Bangalore for 28 days with his car. Now if they harass you even while you are within their 1 month frame work of laws, that does justify a brutal response !
Old 17th July 2014, 22:54   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
My Take on this issue is
Law might be unfair but we need to address it using right channels by filing PIL etc..
But dodging to pay taxes is illegal and Team BHP being a respected automotive forum which must not be used by people providing ideas on how to dodge the law by not paying taxes.
In my opinion, Team-BHP must prevent such posts that encourage people to dodge taxes, and dodge RTO checks. Such posts are against law and should be deleted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Allow me to disagree please. Last year there was a similar drive. Two of my friends who are working in IT industry (big India based MNCs) were caught and forced to pay tax. Both these heroes have been using their KL registered cars for more than two years. One chap even had a flat in Bangalore.
It is people like these who make life miserable for people like Blackpearl. I hope he is able to prove his case and escape payment of tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
But Blackpearl is in the frame work of law and is staying in Bangalore for 28 days with his car. Now if they harass you even while you are within their 1 month frame work of laws, that does justify a brutal response !
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 23:55   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
In my opinion, Team-BHP must prevent such posts that encourage people to dodge taxes, and dodge RTO checks. Such posts are against law and should be deleted.
Dodging tax - OK. In which part of India is dodging RTO checks illegal?
Old 18th July 2014, 00:14   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is people like these who make life miserable for people like Blackpearl. I hope he is able to prove his case and escape payment of tax.
So he is supposed to stay 28 days in Bangalore and the RTO take away his papers and he has to go through all the charade of getting company se papers to prove his point is all fine eh when he is still a 'law abiding citizen' even according to the Bangalore standards of law. Guilty until proven otherwise eh ? Which part of this planet works like this ? Kasab even was innocent until he was proved guilty in court and sentenced.

Its people like you who are responsible for making sure that people like us feel like outsiders and unwelcome in Bangalore. Secondly I never asked anyone to evade tax, I just said 'ITS NOT RIGHT' to have to pay 15 year road tax for people staying for a couple of months in Karnataka.You can decipher that however you want !

Last edited by humyum : 18th July 2014 at 00:15.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 00:16   #681
Senior - BHPian

All that the RTO folks need to do is to park and wait near the major IT parks to milk these IT junta with out of state registered vehicles. That's exactly what I saw this morning as I exited the EC1 toll gate and was heading on the road that passes in front of Infosys office. The RTO Bolero was parked on the left side and they were stopping all cars not KA registered. There was a KL, UP and HR registered cars stopped and their drivers being questioned. They scrutinized my car too from a distance, but when they saw the KA plates, they ignored me.

This rule, like the sun film ban, is a trump card for the RTO/Police. They can make use of it whenever they please. Or misuse, as the case may be.
IronH4WK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 01:38   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Its people like you who are responsible for making sure that people like us feel like outsiders and unwelcome in Bangalore.
Calm Down my friend.

IMHO blacksport was actually referring to @sachinpk's friends who have been settled here for more than 2 years but haven't interested in paying taxes. What he meant was, because of these tax evaders the RTO guys are harassing people like Blackpearl.

Quote:

Last edited by KING DYSP : 18th July 2014 at 01:43.
KING DYSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 01:47   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post
Calm Down my friend.

IMHO blacksport was actually referring to @sachinpk's friends who have been settled here for more than 2 years but haven't interested in paying taxes. What he meant was, because of these tax evaders the RTO guys are harassing people like Blackpearl.
Opps, Sorry, blacksport and me were kind of were having this argument since long, so I thought he meant me. I apologize blacksport.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 05:44   #684
BHPian

Guys, Can I ask 1 question to people who support the tax payment for 15 years in KA for a vehicle who would be present for less than 11 months in a state which is the rule in other states as far as I know ( not sure how relaxed or strict the rule is ). If you with your car was in such a situation in an another state what would your reaction be to this situation assuming that you just visited for a day or maybe 3 months (say on deputation or so) and the RTO stops and seizes your car despite showing all the proofs.
Old 18th July 2014, 06:45   #685
Team-BHP Support

When i used to stay in Bangalore, i used to drive down my KA registered Scorpio to KL and TN for vacations, which used to last between 1-2 weeks at times. We used to do this about 3-4 times a year. I cannot imagine what sort of harassment i would be subjected to, if both the TN and KL RTOs stopped my vehicle and demanded that i pay the road tax! Those supporting this initiative would say that i can prove that i dont stay in these places. Well, not really as my passport earlier showed a permanent address which was not a Bangalore address!

The RTOs of neighboring states should harass and seize cars of politicos when travelling interstate, so the message gets through. This sort of torture is unjust and unwarranted.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 07:31   #686
BHPian

This is being done purposely, so thick skulled people feel corruption - how policies are being framed by corrupt politicians for govt to earn revenue that gets siphoned off.

Afterall, how else would Ambreesh's foreign medical treatment expenses be paid for from the state exchequer?

We're bothered about this because its affecting us, when wheat was allowed to rot as people suffered from starvation, where was our conscience?

IMO its simply our turn, all we can do is close our eyes & let it happen and pray we stay alive after the politicians are done with us.

Mods : Apologies if my post sounds abit OT, but IMO its exactly what people are going through right now.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 18th July 2014 at 07:50.
Old 18th July 2014, 07:50   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
The cost of transporting car from HR, UP etc is not less. Still they bring cars mostly because they already have a car and can not afford a new one. I don't think anyone will take the risk of other state registration to save two or three percent. Very few come here to settle down, others move to another city/state/country as and when work demands.

Why a person on short assignment should pay taxes for life? I have a friend who worked at Kochi, Hyderabad and Bangalore within four years. How much should he shell out if all RTOs demand LIFE tax? Or should he change car every year? Now he is planning to go abroad.Everybody here knows how difficult is the process of refund .

If KA can collect taxes on yearly basis, people will happily adhere. But they are not ready to take the effort of maintaining data.

Sorry to say, KA is doing all possible ways to milk this floating population.

Case is different with PY cars but how many of them are stopped?
There is a channel to get your tax refunded, I doubt how many have done that? it is not as bad as the story is, and if you say very few come here to settle down, I for sure know that the very few is a sizable population, at least in Bangalore, I am also a part of that very few and have seen so many of them come here to settle for life.

If we want to do something, we should fight legally to smooth the process of refund, but not obeying the law of the land and then saying RTO is milking HF cows is wrong. If I have the capacity, I would love to inform RTO about owners of out of state cars staying here for long time.
Old 18th July 2014, 08:02   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBIN004 View Post
Guys, Can I ask 1 question to people who support the tax payment for 15 years in KA for a vehicle who would be present for less than 11 months in a state which is the rule in other states as far as I know ( not sure how relaxed or strict the rule is ). If you with your car was in such a situation in an another state what would your reaction be to this situation assuming that you just visited for a day or maybe 3 months (say on deputation or so) and the RTO stops and seizes your car despite showing all the proofs.
How many example you can show that people on transit through Karnataka were harassed to the extent that the car was seized? Yes RTO may be stopping them but we also know who are they targeting, people on vacation will not visit Ecospace or ITPL, with their office id card and laptop. If you are on deputation, and you show proofs I still believe RTO officials are not that rough to seize the car. I have personally interacted on this issue with one of the involved RTO, over a cup of coffee at my place, don't get me wrong, he is my immediate neighbor.
asdon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 08:04   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
When i used to stay in Bangalore, i used to drive down my KA registered Scorpio to KL and TN for vacations, which used to last between 1-2 weeks at times. We used to do this about 3-4 times a year. I cannot imagine what sort of harassment i would be subjected to, if both the TN and KL RTOs stopped my vehicle and demanded that i pay the road tax! Those supporting this initiative would say that i can prove that i dont stay in these places. Well, not really as my passport earlier showed a permanent address which was not a Bangalore address!

The RTOs of neighboring states should harass and seize cars of politicos when travelling interstate, so the message gets through. This sort of torture is unjust and unwarranted.
There is a difference between spotting of KA cars in KL and KL cars in Karnataka. There is no significant migration of populace from KA to KL where as around 25% of people in Bangalore are from Kerala. So KA cars in Kerala are mostly non resident Keralites visiting the state. This is the fact every one on this forum knows, but somehow try to feign ignorance. When I was driving KA car in KL I was stopped and harassed by KL police, even though I am originally from that state. It is a matter of random chance. If Bangalore RTO was so strict one won't be seeing such high number of other states cars on the streets.
I also work has worked IT for more than 15 years and yet to come across a person who is on deputation for less than 3 months and has brought his car and family to the city.

Last edited by poloman : 18th July 2014 at 08:15.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 08:13   #690
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
There is a difference between spotting of KA cars in KL and KL cars in Karnataka. There is no significant migration of populace from KA to KL where as around 25% of people in Bangalore are from Kerala. So KA cars in Kerala are mostly non resident Keralites visiting the state. This is the fact every one on this forum knows, but somehow try to feign ignorance. When I was driving KA car in KL I was stopped and harassed by KL police, even though I am originally from that state. It is a matter of random chance. If Bangalore RTO was so strict one won't be seeing such high number of other states cars on the streets.
What i had provided was my own example in point. The essence of what i was trying to say was that this interstate harassment nonsense cannot carry on. We have examples already of state RTOs in Pune, Hyderabad etc getting into similar drives. Guess where they were inspired from?

As i have said earlier on this thread as well, provide a yearly or 5 yearly tax payment option. If people still do not fall in line, then get aggressive. Expecting people to pay in thousands just because state machinery cannot indulge in revenue sharing is not the way out.

I am surprised that we havent seen the RTOs targeting the areas in Bangalore where supercars with non-KA registrations are plying. Guess they would end up red-faced if they tried.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks