Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 15:03   #601
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
So if PY is cheaper, you gotta go to PY, buy a car and live there.
Actually, you cannot buy there without first living there.
Old 15th July 2014, 15:11   #602
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

I see RTO checking other state vehicles on this stretch at least 2-3 times a week, to collect ridiculously high road tax.
I wonder if any one asked them this question "Do I need to pay this tax to use this?" (I do not know what to call - people call it Neeladri Road) It is right next to IT hub Electronic City.

pic source:save neeladri road fb page
Attached Thumbnails
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-neeladriroad.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 15:31   #603

That brings us to how the Govt of India and Govt of Karnataka (for that matter any state) operates. Any Central Govt legislation must be taken up by the respective State Govt in their Legislative Assembly's for ratification with or without modification. What lurker suggest is certainly a way for the Central Govt to enforce it's way but that hasn't been done since the Diwan of Travancore and the Nawab of Hyderabad were annexed into the Indian Union in 1947. I know this forum forbids politics and I have no intention to cross those lines. The Central Govt will not intervene in this matter, period. That's not how the it happens in India, this isn't a federal relationship. Until better sense prevails in the State we don't have too many options.
Old 15th July 2014, 15:36   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I wonder if any one asked them this question "Do I need to pay this tax to use this?" (I do not know what to call - people call it Neeladri Road) It is right next to IT hub Electronic City.
That is not going to make any difference. I mean we are just trying to escape from the issue. If I were the RTO, I can ask you "Is it the only road you use in Karnataka, state? So the tax collected is used across the state. Not the only place where the said tax payer plans to use the vehicle". Remember, road tax is a state wide tax. There is a cess which is Bangalore city specific. The petrol and diesel prices are higher in the city because of this.

Ideally the solution can only be brought in by taking this up at Vidhana Soudha, where the rules are made. Blaming RTO, BTP, and trying to through tantrums at them would not bring in any good solution, in my humble opinion. But to influence Vidhan Soudha, we need to vote. For that we need Karnataka Voter ID. To get Karnataka based voter ID, we need to prove that we are going to stay here for very long time; i.e we are now Karnataka state citizens. If we can all do this, then better to pay the road tax as well

I hear the same complaints when Traffic police enforce the law. Each person wants Traffic police to do 100 other things, then start enforcing the law which the person was caught violating. The pick pockets advice the police to catch thieves, thieves would suggest the police to catch rapists, and rapists would say please focus on murderers. This goes no where .
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 15:41   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see RTO checking other state vehicles on this stretch at least 2-3 times a week, to collect ridiculously high road tax.

poor KA govt needs your road taxes to improve this situation onlee.

Once they can get the LTT out of you or the TN-registered vehicle in the picture then they can put up the board and start repairs.

YOUR TAX RUPEES AT WORK. etc
Old 15th July 2014, 16:32   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Why should each state break its head trying to compete with Pondicherry? Pondicherry can go with a 0% road tax. Other states would just wait for PY vehicles to step out of the state borders.
But they have to wait for one month. Anyway, you are right - debating this here makes no sense. What can possibly make a difference is to take the government to the court.

Do once a month fuel filling trips to Hosur (nearest non-KA town) work? Or does it have to be tolls, in which case I guess one has to go all the way to Krishnagiri (Bagepalli toll booth is in KA, isn't it?).
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 16:49   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Do once a month fuel filling trips to Hosur (nearest non-KA town) work? Or does it have to be tolls, in which case I guess one has to go all the way to Krishnagiri (Bagepalli toll booth is in KA, isn't it?).
The above might sound like a clever idea if you have a AP, TN or KL registered automobile and some sort of other address proof in the state where the vehicle stands registered in. Makes sense to say you were on the way to B'lore. An OD registered car, could be MP, MH, GA, GJ too, showing toll receipts in TN only makes it rather amply suspect.
Old 15th July 2014, 17:00   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This also means the government is approving buildings and other developments without providing road infrastructure. If they use a fraction of the registration fees collected through the surrounding buildings, these roads would be in much usable conditions.
Old 15th July 2014, 17:15   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You paid tax for driving in the state you registered your car. If you want to drive in another one, you should pay tax according to the other state's laws. Simple, ain't it? It definitely does not violate your right to travel to any other state and settle there.

If I moved to Bangalore for say a 6 month assignment, the Karnataka Government will make me pay 15 years road tax for it and you call that 'non restricting my moment' ? What if I have a 6 year old Swift, they'll still consider me as someone who brought a car 6 years back in Maharashtra to save money on road tax to later migrate to Bangalore at some point in my life and impound my vehicle ? HILARIOUS.

One month tax rule is restricting my moment, What if I don't have the resources right in the first month of shifting to pay the 40 or 50 odd thousand that is the tax ? What if the Maharashtra government takes its own sweet time to return my road tax from Maharashtra ? What if I intend to get back to Maharashtra in a couple of months ? I am supposed to go through this charade of paying here, refunding there, refunding here, paying there again and again knowing exactly how long and tedious it is for the babus to get to do their own thing ? Why not a yearly tax ? There are many people who want to come for a year or two, why should they shell out a tax for 15 years ? I pay for what I stay for, not for something 'the government thinks' I will stay for.

One year rule earlier was fine but followed by a yearly tax system and the current proposal of not taxing any vehicle which is more than 2 years old if it moves to another state is even more brilliant as it shows to prove that I did not buy a vehicle anywhere else to save any kind of money.

And lastly, come to Maharashtra, like Bangalore is this and that of India, Mumbai is the financial capital of India and quite many people migrate here too, you don't find the Mumbai police going all mental over catching people with out of state number plates. Infact I don't know anyone who has been caught like that, neither does it come in the news paper and neither do they care and neither does teambhp have any incidents regarding the same.

In Bangalore from the entire thread of team-bhp, you are guilty until you prove yourself to be innocent by recipients, toll, fuel tickets bla bla. Is this not harassment then what is this ? Heck the name of the thread is Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 2014'.

So no, it isn't simple !
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 17:27   #610
BHPian

So I paid the tax - a hefty 1,09,470 for a recently bought used Honda city(PY reg). I bought this car recently and have not gained the ownership. How should I go ahead about it? Should I apply for NOC first or can I change the ownership in bangalore now that I have paid the tax?
Old 15th July 2014, 17:31   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

If I moved to Bangalore for say a 6 month assignment, the Karnataka Government will make me pay 15 years road tax for it and you call that 'non restricting my moment' ? What if I have a 6 year old Swift, they'll still consider me as someone who brought a car 6 years back in Maharashtra to save money on road tax to later migrate to Bangalore at some point in my life and impound my vehicle ? HILARIOUS.

One month tax rule is restricting my moment, What if I don't have the resources right in the first month of shifting to pay the 40 or 50 odd thousand that is the tax ?

So no, it isn't simple !
You are refusing to see the point. You can still move around, there is no restriction on that. But your car can't, until you pay the tax to run in that state. That's reasonable, isn't it?

Again, why should they care whether you paid tax elsewhere?
Old 15th July 2014, 17:42   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are refusing to see the point. You can still move around, there is no restriction on that. But your car can't, until you pay the tax to run in that state. That's reasonable, isn't it?

Again, why should they care whether you paid tax elsewhere?
If I am moving in to Bangalore for a project \ assignment of 6 months and for using my car in Bangalore during my stay, if I have to pay tax for 15 years, it is not reasonable.

On the other hand, if I am here to stay for good, then yes, it is reasonable that I pay the tax since I am settling down and making Bangalore my home base.

The earlier time frame of 1 year was good - but 30 days to too inadequate.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 18:40   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Careful with that axe. Raising the tax etc. in the context of article 19 of the constitution, which has sufficient caveats attached, will make this issue only something that needs be argued in a constitutional court. But if you are bringing in the point that "you can settle anywhere in India, but you have to leave your car behind unless you pay up" then it overlaps into article 14, which is rather absolute in nature. The Supreme Court of India has been quite active in protecting article 14.

If I were the state I'd try to keep article 14 out of any court case.
Old 15th July 2014, 19:04   #614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaroop_babu View Post
Should I apply for NOC first or can I change the ownership in bangalore now that I have paid the tax?
Bangalore RTO cannot give you a fresh RC unless you provide NOC from previous state's RTO.

This is how it works (At least it used to) - Your application for a NOC should be posted to them as registered post. Wait for a month for them to reply/get back.

After one month if you get nothing from them, apply for your new RC book with acknowledgement receipt and application for NOC letter copy.
Old 15th July 2014, 19:21   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Bangalore RTO cannot give you a fresh RC unless you provide NOC from previous state's RTO.

This is how it works (At least it used to) - Your application for a NOC should be posted to them as registered post. Wait for a month for them to reply/get back.

After one month if you get nothing from them, apply for your new RC book with acknowledgement receipt and application for NOC letter copy.
Thanks for the pointer. I will check the details on PY RTO Website for more details!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks