Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 15:43   #556
Team-BHP Support

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
But what about the rule that says that cops can not stop any vehicle unless they have commented an offence? And only then are they allowed to check for documents and other papers.
Cops can stop any vehicle (along with RTO officials) from other states for papers. Any time, any where.

If they're doing that without RTO people around, maybe they're up to something else.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 15:48   #557
Team-BHP Support

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
But what about the rule that says that cops can not stop any vehicle unless they have commented an offence? And only then are they allowed to check for documents and other papers.
That is the rule for white shirted traffic police. These were RTO inspectors, note their khaki shirts.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 15:59   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why only non-KA people? Even KA people with non-KA vehicles are harassed in the same way. In our Jeeping community, non-KA vehicles are common. Even I bought a 15 year old TN jeep and coughed up LLT for such an old vehicle to escape the harassment. This woman simply refused to show any documents and claimed RTO had not rights to stop or inspect the vehicle papers.
Certainly by Non-KA people i obviously meant all those people driving Non-KA vehicles in Bangalore (not nessarily non-Karnataka residents only).

But the point is not that.

Incidents like these indicate a growing dissent among public and unrest over unjust laws and even more foolhardy amendments to existing laws. We should rather have a One Country - One tax regime. Or if that is not possible, then streamlined and automatic refund and claim processes to make life easier for citizens.

Again i am not justifying whatever that lady was doing, but analyzing the issue from every perspective.
Old 13th July 2014, 17:04   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I can guarantee you nothing has happened prior to this clip. That lady is simply aggressive by nature.
And whatever may be the case, she has no business to mow down (or threatening to) anybody.
Agree with you that you have no business to threaten to mow down a RTO official no matter the circumstances,that's just foolish and might land her in more trouble should the cops pursue it.
I wasn't trying to justify her behaviour in anyway. I had been subjected to similar checks in TN, the cops & RTO officials were extremely rude and very disrespectful,I was on the verge of losing my cool with them,so thought just may be something similar might have happened with this lady.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 13th July 2014 at 17:06.
Old 13th July 2014, 17:10   #560
BHPian

Keeping aside the actions of the lady, is it possible for RTO or police to seize a vehicle or confiscate the original documents as long as there is no criminal case on the driver or the vehicle as such like say
- Drunken driving
- some pervious accident or major traffic offence
-vehicle used for some unlawful activities etc...

If the LTT is not paid in the particular state, they can issue a ticket asking to pay the LTT, right. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Again lot of drivers dont carry original RC book, insurance or at times even license in the car. Instead keep attested copies. So would not having originals in the car be held as a reason to seize the vehicle.

FundaG
Old 13th July 2014, 17:32   #561
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
If the LTT is not paid in the particular state, they can issue a ticket asking to pay the LTT, right. Correct me if I am wrong on this.
Provided car is there in state beyond specific period of time.
Quote:
Again lot of drivers dont carry original RC book, insurance
You don't need to carry original RC book. A photocopy of that should do. You need to show/submit original RC book if there's a recorded complaint.
Quote:
or at times even license in the car. Instead keep attested copies.
You can keep a photocopy of the license. You need to show the original again if there's a recorded complain.
Quote:
So would not having originals in the car be held as a reason to seize the vehicle.
No. As long as you're having the photocopy of the original documents. They'll ask you for the original if again there's a recorded complain and you need to provide those within specific time given.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 01:26   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats one angry woman That much aggression was not necessary. Perhaps she could have at least explained that (if true) she has come here recently and the period of stay in a calm manner. Instead of that she makes things worse and even worse. The officer had to snatch the key as a last resort basis that too when she was ready to run over the cop. Very sad an incident if she really succeeded in that.

Though RTOs inspector justified in a lame manner about PY registered cars, he did keep his temper low and calm. What I dont accept is that, as per them there are PY registered cars(read premium cars) running in Bangalore without paying tax, and these guys are behind small cars perhaps from other states. Either they have finished taxing such cars, or they arent able to do so.

That said, the lady here seems to be fully aware of the situation. An innocent person would have shown documents to the RTO but this lady clearly knows that the inspector will seize all documents and hence she doesnt even produce documents. That is quite enough for the car to be seized by RTO no matter what she may do. Theoretically she isnt proving ownership of the car or any other certificate. Guess she is in big trouble now. In prescence of the media, the officers were quite soft, but now that they have the car, they will definitely give the owner more troubles.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 02:50   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This came in today's Bangalore Mirror:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/articleshow/38221205.cms

This completely lets off the hook a lot of people. I hope they (the KA transport dept) takes a positive view of this whole mess.
For cars more than 2 years old, is a NOC from the home state enough to get a re-registration in KA or is it mandatory to pay the complete LTT? The registration charges will be applicable in either of the situations.
Old 14th July 2014, 02:57   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
For cars more than 2 years old, is a NOC from the home state enough to get a re-registration in KA or is it mandatory to pay the complete LTT? The registration charges will be applicable in either of the situations.
Its mandatory to pay the LTT to get a KA registration. The age of the car doesn't matter.
Old 14th July 2014, 06:44   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
What about some of the BBMP garbage trucks with WB and OR registration??
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
However, I do see quite a lot of AP registered tractor-trailer contraptions with White registration plates, running in Bangalore city limits.
Quote:
Btw, how many water supply trucks/tankers that sport AP numbers have been caught so far?
Guys, transport vehicles when migrated to KA will not get new KA num, they will have same old number of the earlier but with KA smart card with KA address.

I have 2 TN regd trucks doing daily local work in Bangalore.

I have paid my first KA LTT in 1997 when i was caught/seized with a KL, 85 model Amby and paid 12000/- rs then in 2007 for a 2 months old TN scorpio DX and paid 98000/-. Now planning to pay LTT for my 2002 KL jeep soon, estimated 18000/-, no choice sir..

Last edited by Rajith : 14th July 2014 at 06:48.
Rajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 08:35   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Guys, transport vehicles when migrated to KA will not get new KA num, they will have same old number of the earlier but with KA smart card with KA address.
Thanks for this. I always used to wonder about the TN-registered buses that ply local (town-to-town) routes in south Karnataka. Presumably an NOC from the original RTO is required? And how is excess tax paid in the original RTO (hypothetical, I know) handled?
Old 14th July 2014, 09:38   #567
Senior - BHPian

I think underlying problem is the exorbitant road tax in Bangalore and no matching infrastructure to go with it. If they lower the road tax it will stop this harassment and not make the people who have bought cars in Bangalore feel cheated if someone comes with a car registered from outside. I don't feel the same way in Delhi if I see any other states car as whatever road tax we paid was reasonable so I have no reason to be upset at anyone else.
Old 14th July 2014, 10:02   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this. I always used to wonder about the TN-registered buses that ply local (town-to-town) routes in south Karnataka. Presumably an NOC from the original RTO is required? And how is excess tax paid in the original RTO (hypothetical, I know) handled?
It's regd in ka Rto with other state num.Theres no excess paid in earlier Rto as it's yearly.
Old 14th July 2014, 10:46   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Is the rule same for all transport vehicles (irrespective of how they are registered - commercial/non-commercial), or it's meant for only the yellow-boards? For example, there are a multitude of tractor-trailer contraptions with white plates, and at the same time there are many TN registered tipper trucks that can be seen inside city limits. Both of them, IMO, are transport vehicles, but white plates imply non-commercial use.
Old 14th July 2014, 12:21   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I think underlying problem is the exorbitant road tax in Bangalore and no matching infrastructure to go with it. If they lower the road tax it will stop this harassment and not make the people who have bought cars in Bangalore feel cheated if someone comes with a car registered from outside. I don't feel the same way in Delhi if I see any other states car as whatever road tax we paid was reasonable so I have no reason to be upset at anyone else.
Partly, yes. People buying their cars don't say: "I don't want to pay the tax here because the roads are bad. So let me go and buy from Tamil Nadu, where roads are good". Regardless of whether roads are good in Bangalore, people would tend to register cars where they find it cheaper.

ps: Am not forgetting the fact that the majority of them getting harassed here is the innocent people who come here as part of their jobs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks