Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 11:47   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I would like to understand why it is an ant-federal law. What federal tenet does it violate?
It is not such a black-and-white situation. A good lawyer can certainly argue that reducing the period from 1 year to 1 month violates the "reasonable restrictions" that state governments are allowed to impose on the Article 19 guarantee of right to move around and settle anywhere in India.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 12:11   #512
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
I would like to understand why it is an ant-federal law. What federal tenet does it violate?
I wish I am good at law,which I am not . Best of my explanation,this amendment is almost equivalent to questioning the right of a citizen to travel inside India .If a person drives from New Delhi in his car to Bangalore without toll tickets ,RTO can confiscate the vehicle or create problem for the commuter.One month is a very short period for any one to be staying permanent.People come to Bangalore for work like for 3 months or 6 months too.As a developing cosmopolitan city this must not have happened in Bangalore. In my opinion this comes to needless torture for the vehicle user.
Another part is that the government is not liable to tell us where this extra money is being spent, which anyway is not happening in other cases of taxation too.
Old 4th July 2014, 17:46   #513
BHPian

Came across this news item.. http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=100216

Also heard there was a major drive on hoskote ITPL road today morning by RTO. 3 groups within 6 km. one at the beginning of the road, another one just before the whitefield rly flyover, and the third just after the flyover. Could be there in the evening too... so take care...

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 4th July 2014 at 17:49.
Old 4th July 2014, 19:20   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Had posted this some time back -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3404209

Dont think there's any hope of this.

I just hope the Auto Lobby demands are met

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...ority/36766821
Old 4th July 2014, 19:45   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn

Had posted this some time back -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3404209

Dont think there's any hope of this.

I just hope the Auto Lobby demands are met

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...ority/36766821
Saw this on HVK facebook forum:

Name:  ForumRunner_20140704_194502.png
Views: 2076
Size:  236.8 KB
Old 4th July 2014, 21:45   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post

I wish I am good at law,which I am not . Best of my explanation,this amendment is almost equivalent to questioning the right of a citizen to travel inside India .If a person drives from New Delhi in his car to Bangalore without toll tickets ,RTO can confiscate the vehicle or create problem for the commuter.One month is a very short period for any one to be staying permanent.People come to Bangalore for work like for 3 months or 6 months too.As a developing cosmopolitan city this must not have happened in Bangalore. In my opinion this comes to needless torture for the vehicle user.
Another part is that the government is not liable to tell us where this extra money is being spent, which anyway is not happening in other cases of taxation too.
A federation, as opposed to a unitary system gives more powers to states to enact laws. So the more federal a state is, the center has less powers. Hence, states making their own laws is in conformance with the federal tenants than vice versa. What you described above is a tenet of a unitary system.

OT: A country as diverse as ours could do with greater federalism than not. Autonomous states are better.
Old 5th July 2014, 11:25   #517
BHPian

Quote:
A federation, as opposed to a unitary system gives more powers to states to enact laws. So the more federal a state is, the center has less powers...What you described above is a tenet of a unitary system..... A country as diverse as ours could do with greater federalism than not. Autonomous states are better.
I beg to differ. We are mixing ideals & practicalities. Check out the facts:-
  • A state that charges one of the HIGHEST road tax in the country (almost 18 per cent) of the invoice value of a car.
  • It actively persecutes owners of outside vehicles to gain revenue (changes the rules for the purpose) -ignores pressing problems like overloading of autorickshaws, polluting vehicles, triple riding on two-wheelers, rash driving, vehicles routinely flouting most traffic lights (as these fines are relatively low revenue).
  • Its also, perhaps one of the most corrupt amongst RTOs - asking for a standard bribe rate of Rs 5000/- to even register a new vehicle from the showroom sold within the sate.
  • Namma Bengaluru has perhaps the worst, unplanned and un-kept roads amongst metros.
  • That's road tax terrorism for you - plain and simple. Nothing more to it.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 5th July 2014 at 11:28.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 15:08   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
I beg to differ. We are mixing ideals & practicalities. Check out the facts:-
  • A state that charges one of the HIGHEST road tax in the country (almost 18 per cent) of the invoice value of a car.
  • It actively persecutes owners of outside vehicles to gain revenue (changes the rules for the purpose) -ignores pressing problems like overloading of autorickshaws, polluting vehicles, triple riding on two-wheelers, rash driving, vehicles routinely flouting most traffic lights (as these fines are relatively low revenue).
  • Its also, perhaps one of the most corrupt amongst RTOs - asking for a standard bribe rate of Rs 5000/- to even register a new vehicle from the showroom sold within the sate.
  • Namma Bengaluru has perhaps the worst, unplanned and un-kept roads amongst metros.
  • That's road tax terrorism for you - plain and simple. Nothing more to it.
You are the one who is mixing things. I was only commenting about the definition of a federation. This was what commonman said: "This is a blatant anti federal law", which I was replying to. Maybe the law is unjust, but there is nothing anti-federal about it.
Old 7th July 2014, 12:26   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Guys,

I decided to pay LTT for my 2002 MM540 4wd - KL regd , intended to be used in Bangalore.

Procured the old original invoice copy with the help of KL - Mahindra regional office team.Today carried RC,Insurance,Emission and invoice copies to Bangalore North RTO. Cabin no 6 , 3rd floor - non transport division declined to take tax with out NOC.

Met Senior Motor vehicle inspector.He was very polite and courteous.Worked on the RTO tax chart with vehicle invoice/RC and given @ 55% rebate on the vehicle cost.

LTT for my 2002 4wd MM540 in karnataka was calculated to be 22276/-.

Now happy motoring..
Rajith, the NOC you are talking about was obtained from RTO in Kerala? Are you getting a refund from Kerala RTO.
Old 7th July 2014, 12:47   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are the one who is mixing things. I was only commenting about the definition of a federation. This was what commonman said: "This is a blatant anti federal law", which I was replying to. Maybe the law is unjust, but there is nothing anti-federal about it.
I was thinking that for something to be a federation, there is an element of free movement of citizens from one participating state to another (India, USA, EU...), and a law like this can be argued to work against such movement. Please also read along with my previous comment.
Old 7th July 2014, 13:15   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitrag View Post
Rajith, the NOC you are talking about was obtained from RTO in Kerala? Are you getting a refund from Kerala RTO.
Hi,

RTO Clerk was insisting NOC from Kerala.Here im not re registering the Jeep in Karnataka, just paying LTT with out any NOC and running. So no refund from KL as well.
Old 7th July 2014, 14:13   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi,

RTO Clerk was insisting NOC from Kerala.Here im not re registering the Jeep in Karnataka, just paying LTT with out any NOC and running. So no refund from KL as well.
So in which case if you leave Karnataka some day, would you be getting a refund from here.

FundaG
Old 7th July 2014, 14:55   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
So in which case if you leave Karnataka some day, would you be getting a refund from here.

FundaG
No refund from KA as I'm not registering here,so technically i cannot prove that iam leaving KA.
Old 9th July 2014, 22:43   #524

Today, while driving in electronic city, I was able to see lot of smokers smoking happily on road side. And here I was doing NO wrong, but hiding from RTO jeeps as unfortunately I come from another state because after marriage, for us to be together, we had to come to Bangalore as we both are working. And I will happily move back to my home state when we both get a job there together.

There are lots of areas for improvement which has to be done by government for the upliftment of society, but unfortunately they are also looking at the business side of things.

I dont want to get settled in Bangalore or take anything from Bangalore. I have paid life time tax on my car and is still ready to pay yearly tax, if available. but my brain is not accepting the fact to pay double road tax.

I used to respect cops and traffic police, but when I saw police jeeps infront of me, flying without saying anything to smokers, but is always keeping a firm eye to catch poor preys, I wonder the direction in which our country and society is moving.
Old 10th July 2014, 02:40   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binish View Post
Today, while driving in electronic city, I was able to see lot of smokers smoking happily on road side. And here I was doing NO wrong,
The smokers were doing no wrong either. It is not illegal in India to smoke on the side of the road.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks