Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 19:12   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Got an update on FB that the RTO officials were checking today at HSR layout, just after Agara junction and towards Silk Board.
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:33   #497
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Can't all suffering residents of Bangalore visit the govt headquarters or something and give a petition. A 1000 people going there and giving a petition will show the govt that many people are suffering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Two reasons which I can think of.

1. Lack of direction / knowledge of what to do.
2. "Someone please take a step and am right behind you" thoughts.
Agree to your points. But getting 10 people together itself is a task, forget 1000. Also every state has this rule in one way or another and we all are bound to follow it. Hence giving a petition might not work in this case as that would put the out-station car owners on the wrong side trying to get some benefits.
And am sure that is not exactly what we want.

I would suggest getting the help of some lawyer who knows the legalities and get a stay to the current rule or a possibility of atleast paying an annual tax. If any of you know some lawyer friend who can advise us, I can take it up with him.

FundaG
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:45   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Also every state has this rule in one way or another and we all are bound to follow it. Hence giving a petition might not work in this case as that would put the out-station car owners on the wrong side trying to get some benefits...
I think the idea is to make the rule fair, and not to escape from the taxes!

1. 1 month, is a too short time for anyone to pay taxes.
2. Bangalore taxes are one of the highest in India
3. The refund process is pretty bad, as per the reports from the forum.
4. Bangalore roads are NOT that great; in spite of the high RT.
5. How many people carry service bills in their cars or do services atleast every six months?

My expectation is to allow atleast 6 months before you ask people to pay the taxes.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:34   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the idea is to make the rule fair, and not to escape from the taxes!

1. 1 month, is a too short time for anyone to pay taxes.
2. Bangalore taxes are one of the highest in India
3. The refund process is pretty bad, as per the reports from the forum.
4. Bangalore roads are NOT that great; in spite of the high RT.
5. How many people carry service bills in their cars or do services atleast every six months?

My expectation is to allow atleast 6 months before you ask people to pay the taxes.
Basically the govt tweaked the rule to generate funds for some scheme called ANNA BHAGYA or so.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:42   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Basically the govt tweaked the rule to generate funds for some scheme called ANNA BHAGYA or so.
Even more reasons to challenge the rules? When I (am made to) pay road taxes, I want to see better roads & traffic conditions. Do we have these two in Bangalore inspite of the highest (?) road taxes?

I don't want political discussions; hence I am NOT commenting what I want to comment.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:48   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even more reasons to challenge the rules? When I (am made to) pay road taxes, I want to see better roads & traffic conditions. Do we have these two in Bangalore inspite of the highest (?) road taxes?
I agree with what you are saying. Unfortunately the govt misues the funds generated through tax. BMTC earns a substantial amount of revenue by chartering the buses for ITPL, Infosys, Manyata tech park, GE etc.. Inspite of this BMTC claims it is in the red.
We are paying the highest road tax in the country. Even a small portion of that amount can go a long way in improving the roads basically. But what is the reality??

Lack of political will is the main reason , i would say.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:54   #502
Senior - BHPian

if trucks can have national permits why not cars? why can't we have an option at the time of vehicle registration (or name change in case of used car buys) the choice to pay tax for one state or several states or cluster of states?
A revenue sharing agreement on account of road tax collected by State A on behalf of State B, State C etc can be worked out.
Central government can also monitor which states are generating the maximum amount of "multi-state" road tax and even incentivise these states w.r.t. road and highways development.

"IF" there is a "political" will there will be way. Until then for us motorists and corporate gypsies who gets transferred from state to state every 3-4 years, "achhe din nahin aane wale hain"

Last edited by arjab : 3rd July 2014 at 10:57. Reason: spelling errors corrected
Old 3rd July 2014, 14:58   #503
BHPian

Quote:
I will quote my case here.
I relocated to Bangalore from Chennai in May 2011.
For 2 years i drove the vehicle without paying road tax in KA.
Finally when the drive to catch outstation cars picked up, i went to Koramangala RTO to pay tax voluntarily.
The RTO authorities in koramangala did not ask me to prove when i shifted to bangalore.
They computed the tax based on the age of the vehicle and i produced the DD for the same.
Hi Suresh,
Terribly sorry to trouble you again.
When I approached the E-City RTO ( Bannerghatta Road ), I was informed that a NOC from the Police, some Form-33 ( I believe Form-33 is about change of address in your RC ), & the invoice is required for them to even give the tax estimate !
Also, I was wondering if I can approach the Koramangala RTO & pay the tax since they appear to have less red-tape.

Last edited by im_srini : 3rd July 2014 at 15:08.
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:00   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Suresh,
Terribly sorry to trouble you again.
When I approached the E-City RTO ( Bannerghatta Road ), I was informed that a NOC from the Police, some Form-33 ( I believe Form-33 is about change of address in your RC ), & the invoice is required for them to even give the tax estimate !
Also, I was wondering if I can approach the Koramangala RTO & pay the tax since they appear to have less red-tape.
I guess you can go to Koramangala RTO to pay the tax. All that you need is the invoice copy , Form 14 and other vehicle documents like insurance, RC book etc. You will get this form from the person seated in the helpdesk counter.
They did not insist on me to produce the NOC. They said by paying road tax i can continue to run the vehicle with TN number plate.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:39   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Not exactly. Govt introduced this rule to plug revenue leaks which otherwise would have been collected if every car plying in Bangalore registered their cars here. Some smart people found a way to get around the law, and govt trying to be smarter.

It is a matter of concern that people who are here for genuinely temporary visits are suffering.
Old 3rd July 2014, 23:14   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Not exactly. Govt introduced this rule to plug revenue leaks which otherwise would have been collected if every car plying in Bangalore registered their cars here. Some smart people found a way to get around the law, and govt trying to be smarter.
If the KA govt had kept the road tax in line with the other states, I am sure almost everyone would have got the car from here. And there would not have been any revenue leaks and most probably higher revenue. Even a annual tax system would get them good revenues and would be a win win situation for all. But instead they want to fleece the common man with such high road taxes and rules.

Lot of people buy cars from their states not just to escape the high taxes but also considering the possibility of returning back to their home state after a few years in bangalore. And in the process avoid the hassles of getting the refund, number change etc at the time. The other option of selling off a 3-4 yrs vehicle to escape such hassles while shifting would only result in loss.\

FundaG
Old 4th July 2014, 09:04   #507
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore has most floating population and many of them try to bring cars they currently use. It could have been a great relief if tax can be paid for shorter periods like 1 or 2 years so that it never becomes a burden.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 10:35   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Lot of people buy cars from their states not just to escape the high taxes but also considering the possibility of returning back to their home state after a few years in bangalore. And in the process avoid the hassles of getting the refund, number change etc at the time. The other option of selling off a 3-4 yrs vehicle to escape such hassles while shifting would only result in loss.
Migrant population are the impacted ones.

I'm from Kerala - worked there, moved to Chennai and then got transferred to Bangalore. Cant imagine shelling out close to 1.5 -2.5 lakhs in every state for tax and then running around for a refund! If I had 5 lakhs just to pay taxes as in the above case, I would be comfortably sitting at home
aajohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 10:52   #509
BHPian

First and foremost let us agree to the fact that the rule amendment was not made for the convenience of the commuters nor the citizen. This is a blatant anti federal law which have been floated by the government to fill in the treasury . Thats why they are not opting for 1 ,2 or 5 year payment. This could have been good for the people but keeping track of the taxes paid and not paid becomes the work for the RTO,which they don't want to do.
Now why a PIL doesn't work here is ,though there is a substantial number of floating population in Bangalore they are not as big to form a strong community or they are ready to pay. I myself had made a payment of Rs.20000 for a 5 year old Alto and the RTO asked me to keep the same Registration number. I didn't get any reimbursement from the parent state.
My personal opinion is to get all Team BHP members in the legal fraternity to come together and do some thought exchange to make this a little easier on people.
Old 4th July 2014, 11:06   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
First and foremost let us agree to the fact that the rule amendment was not made for the convenience of the commuters nor the citizen. This is a blatant anti federal law which have been floated by the government to fill in the treasury . Thats why they are not opting for 1 ,2 or 5 year payment. This could have been good for the people but keeping track of the taxes paid and not paid becomes the work for the RTO,which they don't want to do.
I would like to understand why it is an ant-federal law. What federal tenet does it violate?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed