Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 19:21   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
27th main, HSR.
Are you sure about this ?

I live on 28th main and I have to take 27th main where ever I go, and I've never seen anyone.
Old 25th June 2014, 21:58   #467
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Are you sure about this ?

I live on 28th main and I have to take 27th main where ever I go, and I've never seen anyone.
My post is based on this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3442343
Old 25th June 2014, 22:43   #468
NKN
BHPian

Mine is an old story, last year Feb, my MH registered car was stopped by RTO at Kundanhalli main road opposite Hypercity@ 11:45am. They took away my original license(did not want my car documents & gave me a receipt for license) and asked me to collect it from the Kormangala RTO office. Producing the karnataka entry toll, PUC from MH etc on the spot did not help. No reasoning helped. As I was heading to a urgent client meeting, could not call for immediate help. Post my meeting, went to the RTO office with some colleagues @ around 3:30 pm and met the guy who had the license, entry was yet to be made in the register- No avail... was asked to come back next day at 10am
We went the next day met a few assistants, the driver of the RTO officer who was present on the spot etc. They gave some stories about the officer being part of a flying squad and had come from Mysore etc. Tried a few contacts, no luck. Finally the officer arrives at 2pm and he says -" If you want your license, pay the tax for now, challenge it in high court and prove that you came to Karnataka a few days back and claim back the money". I offered to pay any temporary tax which will help me in the short term- That option was not available. He shooed me and my colleagues away after scribbling something on the receipt. We really felt insulted by the way we were spoken to.
Next step was to check the tax amount- It was 14% on the ex-showroom value of the car with some meager amount as depreciation- was coming upto around 82K. I couldn't imagine paying that sum for a 6 year old car when I had paid only around 60K in MH when I bought the car. Unfortunately, the policies in our country does not help an individual to do things the right way and is meant to loot a common man. Anyways, after going from counter to counter the whole day without any luck we returned back at around 5pm- the whole day wasted and 3 of us took leave from office- Luckily I had a considerate manager
Went back to office, contacted the admin team who contacted some brokers( Yes- I paid the broker) and eventually was fortunate to get back the license after about 9 days.
Valuable learning for me- Always carry duplicate documents of the vehicle & license, never had over the original documents, buy time even if you are correct. Try to settle the matter on the spot than returning later
Old 26th June 2014, 11:30   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Audi's, BMW's etc that run on PY number plates will never be caught for sure. I believe there is a BBMP vehicle that has PY number plate. Owners of these vehicles are no doubt big shots who have a say in the govt.
One BMW sedan was caught as per newspaper reports but I guess he was just a regular civilian.

I feel you are right Suresh. Cops will turn a blind eye to the big shots. There are quite a lot of luxury cars on PY plates in Bangalore. Especially around HSR layout area.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:51   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKN View Post
Went back to office, contacted the admin team who contacted some brokers( Yes- I paid the broker) and eventually was fortunate to get back the license after about 9 days.
So you got it back after paying the LTT (82k)?
Old 26th June 2014, 13:35   #471
BHPian

Quote:
If you know the invoice value of your car, then proceed to calculate tax after considering depreciation (based on age of the vehicle).
Hi Suresh,
Any idea as to the recourse if you do not have the original invoice ?

Quote:
Even I have a TN registered santro for which i paid the LTT in KA last year.
The amount came to Rs. 32,407 (4 yr old car) while the LTT paid in chennai at the time of purchase was Rs. 23,960.
How is the payment made ?
Do they accept cheques or is it only cash ?

Would having an AA membership help ?
I mean would the AA help in paying the road-tax ?
I would prefer going to the AA rather than an "agent".
Old 26th June 2014, 13:57   #472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Suresh,

I used the AA when transferring from MH to KA. Worth it
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 22:57   #473
NKN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
So you got it back after paying the LTT (82k)?
Nope- I paid him a certain amount and he dealt with the rest (He said_ he will take care of it). Don't know what exactly he did, but was asked to go to the RTO office one fine day with him and sign a register, take the license
Old 27th June 2014, 10:37   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Nope- I paid him a certain amount and he dealt with the rest (He said_ he will take care of it). Don't know what exactly he did, but was asked to go to the RTO office one fine day with him and sign a register, take the license
You were one lucky guy. If not entered in register I believe an agent can get things sorted out. But if entered, then even they are not ready to help. Went through this ordeal once. BTW which area RTO and agent was involved. Hope you still have the contact details of the agent, incase someone requires it.

Signing in the register for the license, I believe would not be of concern, since you dont need to transfer your license to KA for driving here.... But then this issue has made it difficult to drive around without a tinge of tension. Driving, I am sure, would be the biggest stress buster for lot of us here and even that is going for a toss.

By the way, saw a major traffic jam today around 10am on Neeladri road towards EC, in front of Wipro. I was on foot and entered the office before reaching the Wipro junction. Hope it was due to the road tarring and not due to RTO.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 27th June 2014 at 10:41.
Old 27th June 2014, 10:53   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Valuable learning for me- Always carry duplicate documents of the vehicle & license, never had over the original documents, buy time even if you are correct. Try to settle the matter on the spot than returning later
Am thinking if one's original licence can be confiscated for a RTO issue and when no traffic offence per se has been committed. Also, carrying copies of vehicle docs is one thing but not sure if its prudent to not carry your DL in original.

Can experts comment?
Old 27th June 2014, 15:20   #476
Senior - BHPian

Saw Two chaps looking like RTO stopping outstation vehicles at a point before Gunjur police station, on Gunjur - Varthur road today morning. There was no RTO jeep, but I think they where in white shirt and khaki pants uniform. A KL omni and a TN HH Splendour was stopped by them.

Hope they are real RTO guys and not ordinary police trying to make a fast buck.

--Anoop
Old 28th June 2014, 10:18   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Suresh,

No problem even if you do not have the invoice. The RTO authorities will themselves do the needful.
Payment is through DD.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 17:51   #478

I have an out of state 4 wheeler in Bangalore for a year now. So far it was being used only on weekends, but now I've started using it on OMR daily.

The car is a year old Dzire. Earlier I thought I should take it back to the home state and sell it and then buy another one in KA, but now (on rough calculations) I'm considering paying the LTT (when I 'have' to) - it will cost less than the loss on sale. Less than 50K for LTT v/s double that amount loss in re-sale value.

I'm considering joining the AASI as well and getting it transferred to KA number after I pay the tax. Another complication is that the car is in my father's name. I had to bring it to Bangalore since he passed away a few weeks after it was bought.

Am I thinking in the right direction or missing something and should change my course of action?

TIA
Old 30th June 2014, 09:59   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samking View Post
The car is a year old Dzire. Earlier I thought I should take it back to the home state and sell it and then buy another one in KA, but now (on rough calculations) I'm considering paying the LTT (when I 'have' to) - it will cost less than the loss on sale. Less than 50K for LTT v/s double that amount loss in re-sale value.
Are you sure its less than 50K? For my 5 year old Punto, the LTT is working out to close to 60K. For a one year old D'Zire, it should be around a lakh then.

IMHO, it would be better to sell off you current car in your native state and get a new one here.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 12:06   #480
BHPian

So whats the nearest out of state toll booth from Bangalore? Looks like i might have to make a weekend trip there.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks