Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 22:24   #376
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
How is it harassment is someone is caught - be it a middle class man for flouting rules?

I agree that not catching PY regd beemers, mercs is a wrong thing but there is definitely nothing wrong with catching IT guys with other state cars and breaking rules.
Agree to the point that Rule should not be broken, but it applies to the RTO's as well. When some one applies for a refund, they should show the same eagerness to refund the amount, which they show to collect tax. As long as this doesn't happen, it is not enforcement of a rule, its daylight robbery, if we consider every one to be equal before law.
NB:- I have paid road tax for the vehicle I use hear and still waiting for a refund of my old vehicle.
P4life is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 00:11   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Slightly

Can anyone tell me the approx road tax that my dad would have to pay if he is bringing his DL registered fortuner to Bangalore? Its a Sept 2010 model. Just wanted a ball park figure to decide whether he should drive down or rather hire a car for his short stay in Bangalore
It is calculated as a percentage of the total road tax one would pay for a new vehicle (13% for vehicles costing less than 10L, and 16% for vehicles costing more than 10L, if I am not mistaken).

So for a 2010 model car, it would be in the range of 75% (4-5 Years Old) and 81% (3-4 Years Old) of the total road tax to be paid for a new vehicle. If you know the invoice value of your father's car, you could calculate it and then decide

I would not bring the vehicle, because if you add up the transportation cost and the difficulty in getting a Road Tax refund, to me it is not worth the effort.

Last edited by VeluM : 13th June 2014 at 00:16. Reason: Corrected Percentages
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 09:32   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Slightly

Can anyone tell me the approx road tax that my dad would have to pay if he is bringing his DL registered fortuner to Bangalore? Its a Sept 2010 model. Just wanted a ball park figure to decide whether he should drive down or rather hire a car for his short stay in Bangalore
Hope this helps

Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-tax.jpg

In addition tho this, add cess which comes to 11% of the calculated tax. First of all your father should have the invoice copy of the vehicle. If not no problem, the RTO guys will calculate the figure.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 13th June 2014 at 09:33.
suresh_gs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 09:43   #379
BHPian

Can someone list down the process of paying road tax for non KA vehicles and pin it in First post? I got lost scouting through pages :(
Old 13th June 2014, 11:43   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
...In addition is the limit 11 months or 1 month for personal vehicles? Its not very clear to me as it seems 1 month is only for taxis.
Even personal vehicles have a limit of 1 month right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Can someone list down the process of paying road tax for non KA vehicles and pin it in First post? I got lost scouting through pages :(
You can take your invoice & NOC (optional), go to a RTO and tell you want to pay the taxes. They should guide you thru it. As per the suggestions, it's better to get in touch with the highest official in the RTO.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 11:56   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I will quote my case. The invoice price of my santro is Rs 299438. Since this value is less than 5 lakhs, 13% road tax is applied here.
At the time of paying tax, my car was more than 4 yrs old. So 75% depreciation comes into picture.
LTT = 0.13*0.75*299438 = 29195.2
On the above value 11% cess is applied.
So total LTT = 29195.2 + 0.11 * 29195.2 = 32406.7

I paid Rs 32407.

In your case, work out the maths accordingly. Hope this helps
suresh_gs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 12:18   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I ...
Thanks for the calculation Suresh. My tax comes up to ~40k for a 4 year old Estilo LXi(currently registered in Jharkhand).

But was wondering what about re-registration to get a KA number? How much would it cost me?
Old 13th June 2014, 12:28   #383
BHPian

Quote:
I will quote my case.
=============
Hi Suresh, can you please throw some light on road tax for a deprecated vehicle, say may be two years old with ex-showroom price 4 lakhs originally. How will they calculate deprecated value and tax thereafter?
Old 13th June 2014, 12:39   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

But was wondering what about re-registration to get a KA number? How much would it cost me?
Dont worry too much about re registration. In KA, the RTO is not too particular about re registration so long as you pay the tax. In my case I have a TN registered santro. I paid the LTT last July.
The RTO person there said it is not mandatory to go for re registration. Remember the process of getting NOC from the parent RTO for re registration is a mega project by itself.

The challan looks like this. I have removed the vehicle no. and challan no.

Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-challan.jpg

Last edited by suresh_gs : 13th June 2014 at 12:47.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 12:55   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont worry too much about re registration. In KA, the RTO is not too particular about re registration so long as you pay the tax. In my case I have a TN registered santro. I paid the LTT last July.
The RTO person there said it is not mandatory to go for re registration. Remember the process of getting NOC from the parent RTO for re registration is a mega project by itself.

The challan looks like this. I have removed the vehicle no. and challan no.

Attachment 1249691
Actually we are leaving Jharkhand for good and am settled in Bangalore. Intend to use the vehicle here for just 1-1.5 years max as its barely run for 10k kms in 4 years there. Will be upgrading post that. If I dont have a KA registration(but have paid the LTT) will it be possible to sell off the vehicle here and get a genuine price(like you would get for a 4 year old KA registered vehicle)? That's my actual concern.
Old 13th June 2014, 13:04   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I dont have a KA registration(but have paid the LTT) will it be possible to sell off the vehicle here and get a genuine price(like you would get for a 4 year old KA registered vehicle)? That's my actual concern.
I guess selling the car should not be a concern. In my case i would sell it off to some IT guy . Say his office posts him in chennai. He can use the car as it is of TN registration. In case he wishes to come back to KA, not a problem as the road tax has been paid here.
Old 13th June 2014, 13:08   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Hi Suresh, can you please throw some light on road tax for a deprecated vehicle, say may be two years old with ex-showroom price 4 lakhs originally. How will they calculate deprecated value and tax thereafter?
Let us come to your case. Ex showroom price is 4 lakhs and the vehicle is more than 2 yrs old but less than 3 yrs old. Since your ex showroom price is less than 5 lakhs, 13% road tax will be applied. Considering the age of the vehicle, depreciation is 87%

LTT = 0.13 * 0.87 * 400000 = Rs 45240
On this 11% cess is calculated = 0.11 * 45240 = 4976.4
Total LTT = 45240 + 4976.4 = Rs 50216.4

I have enclosed the image in one of my earlier posts above (post no. 378) that shows the depreciation considering the age of the vehicle.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 13th June 2014 at 13:10.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 13:25   #388
BHPian

These calculations and the depreciation indicated is very interesting.

Think of my car's case. It is a 7 years old indigo which was purchased for 6,00,000 Rs. Its current resale value is only about 2.25 to 2.5 lakhs.

Now, when I calculate tax, apply depreciation and cess, the LTT in KA comes to around 60,000/- Rs.

60,000/- Rs of Tax for a 2.25 lakhs value car! Isnt that a bit unreasonable?
pranav_mankad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 13:26   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Actually we are leaving Jharkhand for good and am settled in Bangalore. Intend to use the vehicle here for just 1-1.5 years max as its barely run for 10k kms in 4 years there. Will be upgrading post that. If I dont have a KA registration(but have paid the LTT) will it be possible to sell off the vehicle here and get a genuine price(like you would get for a 4 year old KA registered vehicle)? That's my actual concern.
Thanks Suresh.

SoumenD - Let me share my experience, If you intend to come to Bangalore with your car and planning to sell it off, here is an alternative. I came to Bangalore in 2011 with my Santro Xing and sold in Nov 2012 in exchange for brand new Ritz VDi in Bangalore itself. I went to Bimal MASS B G road, grabbed a deal in some mega car exchange carnival, handed over the car and NOC on the very last day. I didn't pay the road tax of KA

After some days I got call from a true value dealer, he said some retired army guy is interested my Santro. I told that army person everything what I know about my car, issues etc. By Feb 2013 Santro was unregistered from Haryana RTO (HR 26)

Its not specific to one dealer Bimal, Prerana motors near J C Road was also giving the same deal in exchange for a new Vista Quadrajet VX.
OneToughRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 13:28   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
These calculations and the depreciation indicated is very interesting.

Think of my car's case. It is a 7 years old indigo which was purchased for 6,00,000 Rs. Its current resale value is only about 2.25 to 2.5 lakhs.

Now, when I calculate tax, apply depreciation and cess, the LTT in KA comes to around 60,000/- Rs.

60,000/- Rs of Tax for a 2.25 lakhs value car! Isnt that a bit unreasonable?
All this is due to the ridiculously high road tax structure in KA. Take my case. At the time of buying the santro in chennai in 2008, the life time tax paid was Rs 23960 @ 8% while the road tax i paid in KA considering 4 yrs depreciation is Rs 32407.
It is high time the uniform tax slab is introduced in all states in India
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks