Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 11:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: More powerful Tata Aria with 150PS & 320 Nm

IMO at the prices as @undead has posted, Aria definitely deserves a look. IMO most serious problems with the Aria were because of DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) that has been dumped in favour of SMF. There were other problems that few owners have reported but these appear have been ironed out/ sorted now. There are few happy Aria customers in forum now.

I too have reservations with the Aria as a product/ design, with it being mounted on a ladder frame chassis rather than monocoque with a van like shape, but the next gen as far I have learnt will be better designed. Still the Aria is more sturdy, & better for bad roads as compared to the Innova, especially with the optional 4WD.

Reliability is a subjective term, as far as my experience goes, as my 2006 Pulsar DTSi lasted much more torture & distance than most bikes in & after 80k kms it would easily manage 90 kmph with a pillion without breaking a sweat, & I could sell the same bike in NCR for Rs.15k through my mechanic. I believe I could have managed to get Rs.1-2 K more if I had tried hard (without the mechanic) but now the bike is transferred to new owner's name & that's peace of mind IMO. Yes there were a couple of niggles like headlight wire was bit loose & I had used jugaad for it to stay in place & a fault in dipper switch caused the switch assembly in the left side of the handle to be replaced once, but not more.

My Santro Xing too no problem (touch wood) till date, & not even the bad mileage numbers that most would complain of.

So lot depends on how you treat your vehicle in the initial period & drive/ rids it overall.
Old 7th March 2014, 11:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Innova, Etios, Liva all come with 3 years/1 lakh Km warranty
Xylo, XUV also
OT:
XUV's standard warranty is 2 years/65k kms (http://mahindraxuv500.com/product/pd...ty_booklet.pdf) Xylo's extended warranty is 4 years/1L kms, not the standard warranty (http://www.mahindraxylo.co.in/Shield_Warranty.aspx).

Didn't know about the Toyotas. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 12:34   #63
BHPian

IS there any correction in the pricing? Earlier, Pride 4x4 OTR Bangalore was close to 20L but as per the latest price it is less than 18L which is on par with Innova Vx. At this price, I think Aria certainly deserves a look.
Old 7th March 2014, 14:14   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
IS there any correction in the pricing? Earlier, Pride 4x4 OTR Bangalore was close to 20L but as per the latest price it is less than 18L which is on par with Innova Vx. At this price, I think Aria certainly deserves a look.
Not sure what the old prices were. These are new prices as per the website

ARIA Pure LX 4X2 BS IV --Rs 994388
ARIA Pleasure 4X2 BS IV -- Rs 1217115
ARIA Pride 4X4 BS IV -- Rs 1489205

---
Guys ,
I think that the features in the Pleasure variant is good compared to the Innova Gx . The Pleasure variant might sell more than the other variants, because it got all the required features like ABS , Dual Airbags , Music System, Cooled Glove box, Reverse Sensor, Rear Wash and Wipe, Audio control on steering wheel . Compare this with the innova GX.
You need to fit audio system in the innova Gx and that will add more cost to the innova GX.
The Innova GX costs more than the Pleasure Variant.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 18:33   #65
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Guys ,
I think that the features in the Pleasure variant is good compared to the Innova Gx . The Pleasure variant might sell more than the other variants, because it got all the required features like ABS , Dual Airbags , Music System, Cooled Glove box, Reverse Sensor, Rear Wash and Wipe, Audio control on steering wheel . Compare this with the innova GX.
You need to fit audio system in the innova Gx and that will add more cost to the innova GX.
The Innova GX costs more than the Pleasure Variant.
Even Pule LX is cheaper than G by a wide margin. PX comes with 4 discs, power windows with express down, electric OVRM, rear AC vents, rear demister, twin glove box + 200 mm GC as against 170 mm for Innova
Innova ex show room price in Bangalore

G -- 1104969/1100455 ( 8/7 seater)
GX --1260252/1255580

VX --1461442/1457916

ZX --1510982

Last edited by rkg : 7th March 2014 at 18:53.
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 18:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Even Pule LX is cheaper than G by a wide margin. PX comes with 4 discs, power windows with express down, electric OVRM, rear AC vents, rear demister, twin glove box + 200 mm GC as against 170 mm for Innova
+1 to that. And if TATA was kind enough to provide atleast ABS in the Pure LX, I would be booking it. Also Less Electronics = Less visit to service centres.

Last edited by undead : 7th March 2014 at 18:40.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 21:01   #67
BHPian

IMHO, Tata needs to do the following to get the Aria selling

a. A bit of cosmetic surgery to bring it more in line with the current design language and move away from the 'Van' image its got. The rear of the car is probably a deal breaker for quite a few folk!

b. Price rationalization - Price the top end with all bells and whistles below INR 15L on road

c. Get Sales and Service in order - Differentiate the sales and service experience - either within existing dealerships or exclusive dealerships, which sell and service only Zest / Bolt / Aria

d. Marketing - The weakest link in the Aria product so far - Put one person / group in charge of getting everything right - from the messaging on media (traditional / social) to showroom (physical / virtual - website)

These minor refreshes they are attempting is just keeping someone within TM busy and in a job - not helping sales
Old 7th March 2014, 23:15   #68
BHPian

With this kind of attitude from the sales staff, Aria is not going anywhere soon. All of them would stay in the showroom. I was at the showroom for an emergency repair of my car today. Asked them for details on Aria as my car is 85K kms old now and has started showing signs of aging. First they went in search of someone. After about ten minutes, a lady came to me only to let me know that their executive who deals with Aria is not reachable now. That was perfectly fine for me. I said I will be in the showroom for another hour and she can send him to me before I go. She promised a turn around time of fifteen minutes. But no one turned up till I left the showroom about two hours later. What are they trying to do there ? Sell cars ?
Old 8th March 2014, 10:43   #69
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
And if TATA was kind enough to provide atleast ABS in the Pure LX, I would be booking it.
Car manufactures are here to do their business. Would they show any kindness? Yes some do. I hate to call it "kindness" though, but the “CVP” may be. Is Tata up there with the practice? I am not sure and I am not bothered too, as there are a few more players to pick your car from.
Old 8th March 2014, 10:55   #70
BHPian

I happened to speak to a driver of an Aria owner recently. I wanted to know his feedback and he replied that this vehicle is bekaar. I asked him why and he replied that no one buys its, its plastic quality is poor - showing me the dashboard plastics. He said everyone buys an Innova, don't know why his "maalik" bought a "Tata" (Aria). The I asked if there was any mechanical problem, issues with driving, etc - and to my surprise he replied 'No'. Not even one niggle mentioned.

So I surmised, it is basically an image related issue than entirely a product related one. Toyota has got more street cred than Jaguar & Land Rover owning Tata Motors. This image change / makeover will take a lot of time and I feel the start will be made with the Zest and Bolt to an extent. If they turn out to be fairly successful, the Nano & Aria may manage some numbers as a trickle down effect.
jessie007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 11:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Car manufactures are here to do their business. Would they show any kindness? Yes some do. I hate to call it "kindness" though, but the “CVP” may be. Is Tata up there with the practice? I am not sure and I am not bothered too, as there are a few more players to pick your car from.
Guess, I got the wrong word there.
Anyway , TATA is trying hard to compare ARIA with the Innova. To me, IF you want to disturb the sales of the Innova , you need convince the Indian buyers, that your ARIA is better than Innova in almost every aspect like Marketing, Different treatment compared to the Nanos and indicas , better after sales support etc. Just because, you show more features than the innova doesnt meant that indian buyers will shift to you. Convincing a normal indian buyer to choose ARIA over the reliable Innova is little tough.

Quote:
I happened to speak to a driver of an Aria owner recently. I wanted to know his feedback and he replied that this vehicle is bekaar. I asked him why and he replied that no one buys its, its plastic quality is poor - showing me the dashboard plastics. He said everyone buys an Innova, don't know why his "maalik" bought a "Tata" (Aria). The I asked if there was any mechanical problem, issues with driving, etc - and to my surprise he replied 'No'. Not even one niggle mentioned.
I visited my family friend who has an Aria pleasure 4x2 to know more about the ARIA. So far he has clocked 40000+kms and NO issues at all, i was little surprised compared to the issues i saw in team-bhp . Just regular service. He pointed out the same - Plastics are not good compared to the innova. He spent Rs.70000 to change the bench seats of the middle row to Captain seats (Koyas) and having comfortable long journeys. He previously had an innova and clocked 1 lac kms and replaced with this Aria.

Last edited by undead : 8th March 2014 at 11:18.
undead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 11:20   #72
rkg
Senior - BHPian

New ARIA will have a 70K clutch warranty
Old 8th March 2014, 13:13   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
3 years/1L kms is a great standard warranty coverage in itself. I don't think anyone else offers that much....
As far as I understand, all Toyota vehicles come with a standard warranty of 3 years / 1L kms! So does TATA (deserve to) get an upper hand with this? I say they need to go the extra mile to wipe out the negative perception they created. To start with, a 5 year / 1.5L km (generous, no questions asked) standard warranty will be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
... One thing that they can consider for Aria owners is a complimentary Gold AMC. I'm sure they can afford a freebie like that for a Rs.12L-15L vehicle...
+1 ! Time they do some brain storming and come up with such schemes.

Edit:: Does NOT Storme come with a 4 year 1.5L kms warranty as standard?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th March 2014 at 13:15.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 13:55   #74
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Edit:: Does NOT Storme come with a 4 year 1.5L kms warranty as standard?
It is 3 years - 1 lakh Km + one year extended warranty upto 1.5 lakh KM. ARIA also same

It 2 years 75K + 2 years EW for another 75 K for Vista/Manza etc.(total 1.5 Lakh)
Old 8th March 2014, 15:49   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When Tata launched the Aria, the Pride 4x4 cost 17.5 lakhs Mumbai. It's for 15 lakhs today. At the time of launch, the base variant started at 14.75 lakhs. Today, the Aria has a variant starting at 9.95 lakhs.

Why couldn't the idiots in the marketing & product departments figure this out earlier? I feel awful that such a nice ride - and Tata's best car yet - failed due to bad decisions taken by a bunch of dimwits.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks