Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2014, 10:05   #1
BHPian

Rumour: Honda not to relaunch Civic in India

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/h...n-india-85452/

At the time of the inauguration of Honda’s Tapukara car factory in Rajasthan, top officials from the Japanese car maker announced that there were no plans to relaunch the Civic sedan in India. The Civic sedan was discontinued in 2012 and Honda has not launched its successor. Honda stopped assembling the Civic in India on account of poor sales. The Civic continues to be sold in markets across the world and is a highly successful product for the Japanese automaker.

The car’s last redesign came in late 2012 as the 2013 model year version. The Civic is sold with petrol and turbo diesel engines in international car markets. The car comes with a 1.8 liter petrol engine that outputs 138 Bhp of peak power. In the European market, Honda sells the Civic with 1.6 liter and 2.2 liter turbo diesel engines. In certain markets, the Civic is also sold with a hybrid powertrain. The car is sold with manual and automatic gearboxes.

So, why is Honda not planning to relaunch the Civic in India?

Sales of the Civic has slumped because the car didn’t have a turbo diesel engine in its line up. Now though, Honda has the 1.6 liter i-DTEC engine, a larger version of the 1.5 liter diesel engine that powers the Amaze and the City sold in India. Despite this, Honda is unwilling to bring back the Civic as the car maker feels that the D segment is no longer growing quickly with SUVs like the Renault Duster and Mahindra XUV500 eating into sedan sales.

The Civic sedan was known for its futuristic styling and peppy performance. It also featured a dashboard with an instrumentation console styled like a HUD system. Many car enthusiasts in India used to modify the car as plenty of parts were available after market due to the Civic being very popular as a sporty car in international markets as well. We’re sad to learn that Honda is letting this gem of a car go from the Indian market.
Agarwaka is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 10:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rumour: Honda not to relaunch Civic in India

This is genuinely bad news. The Civic was a gamechanger when it launched. Of course I'm biased as I drive a Civic.

It turned 4 years old yesterday having covered 81,000 kms. Not a thing out of place in that car. Interior looks as good as it did 8 years back when it was launched.

Fantastic car but I guess it doesnt make business sense for Honda given their limitations at the factory level and their focus on the lower end of the market.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 10:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

People now have moved onto other brands in that segment; Civic doesnt make sense in Indian market any more. For now, honda has to focus on sub 4 meter and the MPV segment. Apparently, i read in some news that Jazz is also pushed to 2015.
Old 26th February 2014, 10:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

I still find Honda Civic much better looking than the current breed of vehicles in this segment! (Except the rear suspension bowing down with rear seat/dicky load).

If the sales in D segment are slumping then why are other manufacturers comingup with new cars (like Octavia)?
Old 26th February 2014, 10:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

This follows from this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ura-et-al.html. Except slightly bigger dimension, there isn't any difference between C2 & D1 segment cars.
msdivy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 11:32   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 26th February 2014 at 17:31.
hajaar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th February 2014, 11:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
People now have moved onto other brands in that segment; Civic doesnt make sense in Indian market any more. For now, honda has to focus on sub 4 meter and the MPV segment. Apparently, i read in some news that Jazz is also pushed to 2015.
I don't believe that is true. People want better cars and the D-segment are better built products. The reason to keep the Civic is to retain customers within the brand i.e. for those upgrading from a City and who want a larger/better car for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This follows from this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ura-et-al.html. Except slightly bigger dimension, there isn't any difference between C2 & D1 segment cars.
That is not true. There is one critical difference between C- and D-segment cars - safety kit. You can't get a C-segment car with six airbags, stability control and disc brakes for all wheels. You can get either/or in the C-segment but none compete with a Jetta or an Elantra. Perhaps they'll get there but it isn't true at the moment.

I also think Honda is admitting defeat in the D-segment and it has nothing to do with sales. They can't compete with the Elantra in terms of value and they perhaps don't believe they have the brand equity of a Toyota to keep charging more for less. A well priced and kitted out product in that segment does well enough to justify its continuation: the Elantra sells 300 units a month. If sales were the determinant then nothing explains why the CR-V continues to be sold in India.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 11:49   #8
BHPian

So no Civic no Accord for Honda. Both these cars had a huge contribution in developing the Honda brand in India.

I have the Accord and I love it, except City Hondas current line up is just like any other.

At this rate we will be left only with Skoda and VW in this segment.
Old 26th February 2014, 12:20   #9
BHPian

Being a satisfied City owner, this is a very sad news. I don't want to be part of German horror stories, Cruze is not so great and Corolla Altis is dull looking. So, upgrade option is non-existent

Last edited by GTO : 26th February 2014 at 13:05. Reason: Typo
sa_kiran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 12:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Civic was a wonderful car. My favorite, if I may add. And as a member commented, it has the best looking dashboard in the segment. Even the exterior looks are a killer!
IMO, Honda has now left a big void by discontinuing the 2 big guys- The Civic & the Accord. Despite whatever the Honda City costs, even for the top end version, it will always have the image of a sub 10 lac car. Hence, no offering from Honda in the premium segment is not good news. Like many commented, it will be difficult for the people looking for a upgrade from C to D segment; particularly if one is looking for a Japanese car.

Looks like Skoda & VW will have no competition in the 13-20 lac segment.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 12:42   #11
BHPian

Sad news indeed but it makes business sense. Honda is focusing a lot on localizing and developing India specific models where Civic doesn't fit in.

It was a revolutionary car no doubt but times have moved on. Besides Honda cant plonk its 1.5 iDtech into the Civic and sell it here.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 12:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Civic will still have a loyal following and solid sales if and when they get one out with a diesel engine. The only reason the Civic died out is because Petrol prices soared northwards as it did. It still looks superb, has a wonderful dash and is a very reliable car. There's nothing to dislike about it except the way the rear can sag under load and the fact it's a petrol only car.

Perhaps seeing the way the updated Civic was thrashed in the US of A made Honda sit back and rework everything. If and when it does get here I'm sure it will be well worth the wait. And I am sure they will launch it at some point, because there's this big gap for Honda between the City and Accord/CR-V. The Civic is just crying out to be placed there.
Old 26th February 2014, 12:59   #13
BHPian

One more cracker of a car not making to our shores... :-(

Who makes decisions at Honda India these days? No Vezel, no Civic, and the list seems to be increasing. Why doesn't Honda realize that their sales went down majorly because of lack of a diesel motor and not for the lack of love for Honda cars!!
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 13:10   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can't argue with the decision. The latest Civic is more evolutionary than revolutionary and, without a good diesel, it simply has no chance of competing against the Europeans or the Elantra.

Honda has changed its mid-term strategy to focus on the sub-10 lakh segment for now. The Brio, Amaze (diesel) and City (diesel) are proof of that. Is it working for them? Well, after a long time, Honda is consistently doing 5 digit sales month after month.

Plus, as Msdivy pointed out, the D1 sedan segment is shrinking. Better use the investment & energies where the volumes are, and focus on the Jazz, Mobilio & compact SUV instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
There is one critical difference between C- and D-segment cars - safety kit. You can't get a C-segment car with six airbags, stability control and disc brakes for all wheels.
Only a matter of time before you do. C2 segment sedans have greatly improved in the recent past and they'll continue to gain more power, features, cabin space etc. etc. with time.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 13:24   #15
BHPian

That's a no go from Honda. Civic has a very strong fan following in India. Yes the customers have moved to Diesel engines in the D Segment, but then, Honda does have a diesel mill under their arms. Why not just tweak the engine to maximize the output and re-launch the car.

As rightly put by Kiran, there would be very few City owners who would directly upgrade to Accord, or Passat or Superb for that matter. They would definitely upgrade to Octavia or Jetta or Corolla Altis or Civic (if it existed in Diesel as well as Petrol Avatar)

Now with no Civic in the picture, my next upgrade is sadly not going to be a Honda.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks