Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 09:10   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India

With 'AMT' introduced in Celerio Maruti has mananged to draw success and plans more of the same in its future plans.
So now we have, Celerio, Alto K10 already in the markets and Wagon R, Celerio Diesel (speculated) and lined up for future.
Tata has the Zest launched and Nano Twist F-Tronic Bolt line up with AMT in future
Mahindra's Quanto and its CUV 'S01' are also speculated to join the AMT club.

With this now the sole manufacture Magneti Marelli (as of now, in India) predicts that 30% of Passenger Vehicles Sold in India will have Automated Transmission by 2020.

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...agneti-marelli
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 09:48   #227
BHPian

AMT is something India needed from long affordable automatic cars were very highly priced so people used to ignore them.

Feel like maruti has struck the right cord at the right time with the AMT kudos to them.
Old 11th November 2014, 11:13   #228
BHPian

If everyone jumps on the AMT bandwagon, won't there be a delay in making dual-clutch automatic transmissions more mainstream? DSG/DCT transmissions should atleast be an option, just thinking out loud about how the automatic market would shape up if we only have AMT dominating.
Old 11th November 2014, 11:33   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
If everyone jumps on the AMT bandwagon, won't there be a delay in making dual-clutch automatic transmissions more mainstream? DSG/DCT transmissions should atleast be an option, just thinking out loud about how the automatic market would shape up if we only have AMT dominating.
Both have totally different target audiences I believe. DSG is the more complex & hyper performance oriented technology & thus looks at the more premium / pricey end of the spectrum.
AMT on the other hand is more targeted to the economy range. I don't think they'll eat into each other's territories. Anyway - the DSG has already entered mainstream with the Polo & Vento. It won't be coming to any cheaper cars in near future anyway. Its quite a complicated technology and VW certainly will want it to be sold at a premium.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 11:41   #230
BHPian

I agree Reinhard, and understand the different target segments as well. My point is, if this particular tech catches on by a huge margin, manufacturers might just jump on to this rather than developing and bringing more DSG variants or other dual-clutch tech as well. We all know how much of a "me-too" concept car companies follow these days.

Absolutely nothing against AMT, it's a great tech, I just want different options available to end-customer rather than just AMT.
Old 6th December 2014, 16:56   #231
BHPian

Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India

Anyone know if AMT is available on SUV type vehicles yet? How much of a horse power toll are we talking about?

I guess it will be lower power, at least lesser than conventional auto engines counterpart!

I just love Toyota PRIUS. God knows when we will have some thing similar in under 10L segment!

Last edited by TMRT : 6th December 2014 at 17:00.
Old 24th December 2014, 09:36   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti has now Celerio and Alto with AMT- drawing great response. With this and to increase the market share they have great plans for 2015 in AMT variants.

Maruti plans for 'clutch-less' technology in models such as the Swift Dzire, Ertiga and WagonR.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/45597579.cms
Old 12th January 2015, 07:54   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

So now AMT has become the way of life and Maruti announces warranty on it.

Maruti now Offers 10-Year, 1.6 Lakh Kms Warranty On AMT. With this expect Maruti to offer this variant in all its cars upto Ertiga.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/01/car...-warranty-amt/

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th January 2015 at 08:21.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 17:54   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

That's phenomenal confidence over the product which will invite more interest from people who were earlier worried about long term reliability of the AMT. But one question is whether the clutch would be covered or not, and also whether the warranty is applicable to the cars sold from day one or from now.
Old 13th January 2015, 09:52   #235
BHPian

I have asked this before and asking it again now:

What is the difference between Maruti's "cheap" AMT and any other automatic??
They say its "clutch-less" manual transmission. Hello, isn't that the same as an Auto?

Whaattt ??!!
Old 13th January 2015, 10:42   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Hope the below videos help!

AT

ASG or AMT

volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 11:19   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hope the below videos help!
Nice videos Volkman10. Should help common layman understand this AMT better. They should have this video in showrooms as well if there aren't there yet

Maruti being the market leader has set a good trend by introducing AMT & should push it onto other models as well. Only problem they may run into, being of sourcing the actuators as Magneti Marelli is the only vendor being preferred by Maruti, Tata & Mahindra as well for their products.
Old 13th January 2015, 12:12   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I have asked this before and asking it again now:

They say its "clutch-less" manual transmission. Hello, isn't that the same as an Auto?

Whaattt ??!!
AMT and Automatics are two different things. AMT is a step above the manual transmission, i mean the base transmission remains the same, it employs the Electro- Hydraulic actuators to operate the clutch. now though it automates the clutch pressing-depressing process you may feel jerks while gear changing.

Automatic transmission employs the Torque converter between the engine and the gearbox instead of a clutch and the gearbox has a planetary set of arrangement. Automatic transmission are much more smooth but expensive to repair and will drop the fuel efficiency. You can find lot of information on internet on working of bot the transmissions.

Hope it helps.
Autolock123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 10:39   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti to up its game in AMT - to bring its ASG in Swift Diesel by Oct/Nov 2015.

Could be easily crowned the cheapest 'Auto' Diesel hatch in India.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2801016_1.html
Old 29th January 2015, 12:26   #240
BHPian

Any plans / news of Maruti bringing AMT to Ertiga in both P and D models?
A seven-seater in Diesel with AMT would be an interesting combination - can surely a trend-setter.
But knowing Maruti, they wont bring a trend-setter. They would rather have Tata or someone else work on the same engine and same AMT box work initial bits and then refine it and make it a better product.

I would surely love to own a Diesel Ertiga with AMT. Serves my requirements one hundred percent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks