Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2014, 08:01   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT laun

Celerio crosses the 20k mark on bookings/deliveries made so far. 52 % of them are the AMT variant.

Celerio customers in Kerala have preferred the cheaper manual transmission.

Cheers!

Source:ET

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th February 2014 at 08:03.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 12:22   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT laun

(Maruti) Suzuki Celerio applies for patent in China, to be launched there in Q4 2014.

http://www.carnewschina.com/2014/02/...come-to-china/
Old 27th February 2014, 17:50   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug:mush View Post
2. Gear doesn't always engage from N to D. Though the "pull" action is smooth, a beep from the dash indicates that D hasn't been activated. I had to put it back to N and re-engage D
mug:mush, it happened because you must not have pressed the brake pedal while changing the slot from R to D. This I assume is a preventive feature of the gearbox which restricts shifting from R to D without pressing the brakes.

While driving Celerio AMT today, I faced the same issue, I was reversing, and as soon as I was about to halt, I shifted to D without pressing the brake pedal. Result: I was revving and revving and nothing happened, I could however drive it in the M mode but not in D mode. After struggling for a couple of minutes, I went back to R, pressed the brake pedal and shifted to D and breathed a sigh of relief, D mode was active again.

Try it out yourself, and let your family members know who might be driving this car, one should be aware of such preventive features too.
desiaztec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 20:27   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Celerio crosses the 20k mark on bookings/deliveries made so far. 52 % of them are the AMT variant.

Celerio customers in Kerala have preferred the cheaper manual transmission.

Cheers!

Source:ET
I am pasting the link to the article.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/31061845.cms
Old 28th February 2014, 00:50   #410
Senior - BHPian

Maruti's verbage about the Celerio's engine from their website.

Anybody know how much the compression ratio changed? Not sure what optimized means.

I'm curious to know if the oil can used in Alto K10s

Quote:
Apart from Flatter Engine Torque, it has Drive-by-Wire technology resulting in peppier drive. Along with that, various improvements like optimized compression ratio, reduced frictional losses, low viscosity engine oil and re-designed valves and springs lead to better fuel efficiency. So now, you enjoy a faster throttle response, better torque delivery and upon that class leading fuel efficiency too
Old 28th February 2014, 12:36   #411
Senior - BHPian

I can see a lot of pessimistic, prejudiced and one-sided comments from many! Don't know why such a sort of thing is happening, but now I can understand why manufacturers are reluctant to introduce new technologies - it is because we Indians are reluctant to change! Is it so? Or is it wrong?
Old 28th February 2014, 13:35   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I can see a lot of pessimistic, prejudiced and one-sided comments from many! Don't know why such a sort of thing is happening, but now I can understand why manufacturers are reluctant to introduce new technologies - it is because we Indians are reluctant to change! Is it so? Or is it wrong?
My issue is not with the introduction of new technologies. It's with the fact that they (Manufacturers) issue certain products to only suit their requirements.

Case in point: Maruti never introduced the 4-Speed Auto box for the wagonR / Estilo / Swift etc. Only in the A-Star. And it was not price, considering that with ABS, the price difference between automatic and manual's was only Rs 50,000 (compared to Rs. 40,000 for the AMT and manual Celerio). And it was very difficult for me to convince the salespeople across 3 dealers what I wanted an Automatic gearbox. Many casual buyers were probably turned off due to Maruti themselves telling its dealers to not promote the AT version.

Also, since the 4-Speed Gearbox is similar in the A-Star and the DZire, why is there a 1.5 Lakh price difference for DZire AT and MT Maruti just didn't care about Automatic's till date, else they could have provided one in the Swift (given it has the same running gear as DZire)

Also, now that they HAVE an AMT geabox, will they immediately supply wagonR / Alto / Swift's with them. NO. Because people will have no reason to go for the Celerio. Most Bookings for the Celerio are because of the aggressive pushing of AMT which Maruti is doing.

Fact is, Maruti deserves a few brickbats for the way it introduces 'new' technology, and even in this case, only supplying ABS / Airbags on the Zxi (O) Variant. The top most one. Not even in the Zxi. And now due to negative feedback, they are saying that they will consider supplying AMT on the Zxi (O) variants as well.
Old 28th February 2014, 14:26   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
My issue is not with the introduction of new technologies. It's with the fact that they (Manufacturers) issue certain products to only suit their requirements.

will have no reason to go for the Celerio. Most Bookings for the Celerio are because of the aggressive pushing of AMT which Maruti is doing.

Fact is, Maruti deserves a few brickbats for the way it introduces 'new' technology, and even in this case, only supplying ABS / Airbags on the Zxi (O) Variant. The top most one. Not even in the Zxi. And now due to negative feedback, they are saying that they will consider supplying AMT on the Zxi (O) variants as well.
Completely agree with their ignorance towards providing features on lower end variants. Especially the celerio is a huge disappointment in that regard.

The issue of offering automatic option in cars is a different thing. The 4 speed auto was an imported unit AFAIK and was expensive as well. It wasnt a modern unit as well. They just offered it for namesake. An insider friend of mine told that they were not making much profit by selling the auto variant since the box itself was expensive. If they had plonked it into the best sellers, they would be losing money, and upon that they wouldnt have been able to meet the demand.

The AMT is the opposite. It is locally produced, easier to add to an existing car, cheaper to produce and also good when it comes to economy. Hence we can expect it to be offered on more cars and variants. My only wish is that MSIL should at least provide safety features on all variants. An AMT Ertiga or Swift diesel would be killer. Guess that will be another blockbuster in the making.
Old 28th February 2014, 19:40   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
All manufacturers will do something to keep the product alive - especially if the customer interest is not as they expected. It is as simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The AMT is the opposite. It is locally produced,...
Wrong. The AMT used in Celerio is an imported one. They have plans to produce it locally after 1 year.
Old 28th February 2014, 20:06   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
All manufacturers will do something to keep the product alive - especially if the customer interest is not as they expected. It is as simple as that.

Wrong. The AMT used in Celerio is an imported one. They have plans to produce it locally after 1 year.
Okay, I had to term as 'Will be locally produced'. Stand corrected. Going by the sales numbers I am sure it will be sooner before local production is started.
Old 2nd March 2014, 20:03   #416
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Some pictures please. Is the ownership thread up and running?
Here are some pictures that I took from my Mobile today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
mug:mush, it happened because you must not have pressed the brake pedal while changing the slot from R to D. This I assume is a preventive feature of the gearbox which restricts shifting from R to D without pressing the brakes.

While driving Celerio AMT today, I faced the same issue, I was reversing, and as soon as I was about to halt, I shifted to D without pressing the brake pedal. Result: I was revving and revving and nothing happened, I could however drive it in the M mode but not in D mode. After struggling for a couple of minutes, I went back to R, pressed the brake pedal and shifted to D and breathed a sigh of relief, D mode was active again.

Try it out yourself, and let your family members know who might be driving this car, one should be aware of such preventive features too.
You may be right deiaztec, my father has not faced this issue until now. Due to work commitments, I have not driven the Celerio during the past few days. This Tuesday, Dad is taking the car out to Coorg and Malnad for 10 days. Eagerly waiting to see how it performs at ghat sections.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-img_20140302_143655_1.jpg  

Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-img_20140302_143901_1.jpg  

Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-img_20140302_143913_1.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd March 2014 at 20:20.
mug:mush is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 13:22   #417
BHPian

And what happened to the official review of Celerio? Why is it getting delayed? A few other sites have published their review weeks back. With so much hype going around the Celerio and its unexpectedly high booking numbers, and AMT being the new buzzword in the segment, I am wondering why our forum has not done the review till now. We should have been the first to do that, but that's already done. Anyway better late than never. Eagerly waiting for the detailed team-bhp review.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 13:58   #418
Senior - BHPian

Nice color mug:mush, hearty congratulation to you and your family. Car looks good in actual and color looks nice on this car. Generally i don't like any of the blue shades on car, but this looks much better. Waiting for your comments on driving car in city as well as on highway. I am more interested in drive part, please confirm if it is smooth and without jerks or not in day to day driving. Also let us know how smooth it is, some people commented that you can feel the gears changing with some pause.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:04   #419
BHPian

Excellent colour mug:mush, I am pleased that it looks so nice because I have also booked the same without having the chance to look at it in flesh. I actually went yesterday to change it to Grey, as my wife wasn't sure after looking at Micra's blue that if it will look nice. However, your pictures have given me the peace of mind.

Waiting for our Celerio now, hopefully should get ours before the weekend.
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 18:19   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Waiting for your comments on driving car in city as well as on highway. I am more interested in drive part, please confirm if it is smooth and without jerks or not in day to day driving. Also let us know how smooth it is, some people commented that you can feel the gears changing with some pause.
Thanks aniketi! It depends on what your definition of smooth is. AMT is no DSG nor a typical torque converter. There is a "slight" jerk felt within the cabin when shifting between the first three gears. One can, without a doubt, feel the gears changing in an AMT, but after a while, it becomes part if the driving experience.
mug:mush is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks