Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2014, 14:09   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT laun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is a replacement for Alto, like Alto was that of 800. Why Alto is still continued, i really don't understand? So there also MUL is taking customers for a ride.

In foreign markets that is true, but the Indian Alto is even more stripped down for the celerio to be called as its rightful replacement. Rather its a replacement for the A star for our market. The Alto we get here is obviously a dated product with barebone features or safety. At least the A-Star was better in aspects of kit and safety. The celerio is the same too.
Old 20th February 2014, 14:14   #362
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT laun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is a replacement for Alto, like Alto was that of 800. Why Alto is still continued, i really don't understand? So there also MUL is taking customers for a ride.
Then why not bash Hyundai also?

i10 was the replacement of Santro. Grand is the replacement of i10.

Still even today, Santro, i10, Grand are sold alongside.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 14:14   #363
Senior - BHPian

MUL is not fool to replace Alto which is their highest selling car for years now. I don't think Celerio is a Alto replacement at least in India. People are forgetting one point here, Alto is the starting point for Maruti. It sells for just 3-3.3 Lacs OTR. This is a segment where they almost don't have any competition at all. I know only Eon is their, but still its little pricey over Alto. You can't beat Alto for what it offers at that price.

Whatever people say, Celerio is going to be hit for sure. They have started new trend altogether with AMT, kudos to them for that. Though its old technology, they dared to bring it here with new car which others didn't till now. It will be interesting to see which cars get hit the most. IMO, cars like Santro, Brio, i10, Beat, Figo Petrol, Sail UVA, Micra etc will get impacted. Up to certain extent Ritz and Wagon R as well. Hope MUL bring Zxi in AMT as well soon seeing the response they are getting.
Old 20th February 2014, 16:40   #364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In foreign markets that is true, but the Indian Alto is even more stripped down for the celerio to be called as its rightful replacement. Rather its a replacement for the A star for our market. The Alto we get here is obviously a dated product with barebone features or safety. At least the A-Star was better in aspects of kit and safety. The celerio is the same too.
Maybe yes, Alto is lil too off since MUL has managed to smartly keep it ticking for so long. A Star would be a more recent contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Then why not bash Hyundai also?

i10 was the replacement of Santro. Grand is the replacement of i10.

Still even today, Santro, i10, Grand are sold alongside.
Yup Hyundai is also doing the same thing, so does other manufacturer's and i don't have any qualms in saying that. But the discussion was around MUL and its el cheapo tactics, hence spared Hyundai

EDIT: I am not implying Celerio to be a bad seller anywhere, i am just saying somehow it just doesn't feel VFM and with every new model the gap just increases. :(

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th February 2014 at 16:44.
Old 20th February 2014, 17:16   #365
BHPian

Celerio price slashed

Quote:
Post the interim budget announcement, Maruti has slashed prices across its range including the Celerio’s. Earlier priced at INR 3.9 lakhs, the Maruti Celerio LXi now costs INR 3.76 lakhs.
Link: http://indianautosblog.com/2014/02/m...per-day-121353
amolbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 17:19   #366
Senior - BHPian

This is funny. Many people complains that MUL don't offer modern features. When i checked Celerio Zxi Optional i was pleasantly surprised. It has almost all the features people needed like Airbags, ABS, Steering mounted controls, adjustable driver seat, electrical OVRM, tilt steering, fog lamps, rear viper with wash etc. Still some people complaining that its not VFM and its overpriced. Now can anybody please confirm which other model provides so many features at such price?

Unfortunately many people keep bashing Indian manufacturers like Maruti, Tata & Mahindra. Whatever they do, it becomes topic of discussion & all keeps criticizing it. Whatever they do, people keeps complaining. But i guess MUL is least bothered, they keep their strategy going all time and they are very successful in that.
Old 20th February 2014, 17:30   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Unfortunately many people keep bashing Indian manufacturers like Maruti, Tata & Mahindra. Whatever they do, it becomes topic of discussion & all keeps criticizing it. Whatever they do, people keeps complaining. But i guess MUL is least bothered, they keep their strategy going all time and they are very successful in that.
The sales figures in coming months will give the verdict on this car. There is no use of defending or bashing the Celerio here without even seeing the response of the targeted segment (in form of declared sales figures).

Cheers!
Old 20th February 2014, 19:39   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Now can anybody please confirm which other model provides so many features at such price?
Quick reply, maybe none. I am quite out of touch with current line up specs, so have to check but doubt so. But that does not mean...

Quote:
... we are not supposed to comment? I have not yet complained, if AMT fails i will complain heh heh. Oh and trust you and me, MUL like all other manufacturer is watching. Bothered or not you never know.

For years manufacturer's have been putting undue pressure on vendors to cut down cost, they in turn cut cost by providing cheaper and cheaper components. This is a fact, speak to anyone who is related to automobile ancillary business and they will confirm the same. Again this is not limited to Indian names. Now do they transfer this save? Well its debatable, they are prompt in transferring the steel price increase though, hard fact.

A company like MUL has great loyalty (including mine) and trust, so we will buy if the product is reasonably good which the boys at MUL know very well, and they keep churning out more and more cheap cars. This works best at the entry segment hatches and they will shine, this is their strategy and it works well and will work this time also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The sales figures in coming months will give the verdict on this car. There is no use of defending or bashing the Celerio here without even seeing the response of the targeted segment (in form of declared sales figures).

Cheers!
Again am not bashing, just commenting. And sales figure will be really good if the supply is also good. MUL has this tendency of choking up with new launches and that is what actually kills sales. Hope this time they will iron out that issue.

ps: Both my cars are from MUL.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 20:13   #369
Team-BHP Support

Just for a sake of comparison I checked the Grand i10 prices vs the Celerio. Thanks to the AMT, the Celerio VXI AMT is a cool 95 grand lesser than the Grand i10 Sportz AT making it a simple choice if looking at an AT.

But things get interesting when you compare the top most variants of the Grand i10 Asta (O) MT vs the Celerio ZXI (O) MT.

The ex-showroom price of the Celerio is 43K lesser than the Grand i10 (4.96L vs 5.39L) so definitely cheaper. But what does the Grand i10 offer additional to the Celerio for that 43K?

1. 4 cylinder 1.2L vs 3 pot 1.0L.
2. Far better fit finish inside and outside.
3. push button start/stop with smart key
4. rear AC vents
5. parking sensors
6. Audio system with inbuilt 1GB memory
7. Cooled glove box
8. Electrically foldable mirrors

Just for the interior's and overall premium feel doesn't the Grand i10 make the Celerio overpriced?

Agreed that if a buyer cannot stretch his/her budget the Celerio is the only choice but man for 50 grand more that's a lot more car you get with the Grand i10.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th February 2014 at 20:26.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 20:26   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just for a sake of comparison I checked the Grand i10 prices vs the Celerio. Thanks to the AMT, the Celerio VXI AMT is a cool 95 grand lesser than the Grand i10 Sportz AT.

But things get interesting when you compare the top most variants the Grand i10 Asta (O) vs the Celerio ZXI (O).

The ex-showroom price of the Celerio is 43K lesser than the Grand i10 so definitely cheaper. But what does the Grand i10 offer additional to the Celerio for that 43K?

1. 4 cylinder 1.2L vs 3 pot 1.0L.
2. Far better fit finish inside and outside.
3. push button start/stop with smart key
4. rear AC vents
5. parking sensors
6. Audio system with inbuilt 1GB memory
7. Cooled glove box
8. Electrically foldable mirrors

Just for the interior's and overall premium feel doesn't the Grand i10 make the Celerio overpriced?

Agreed that if a buyer cannot stretch his/her budget the Celerio is the only choice but man for 50 grand more that's a lot more car you get with the Grand i10.
Ya, that is a big list on offer. Just feel that on the mileage front (which is THE comman man's priority) the celerio trumps the i10 which gives its that needed edge in that segment.

Can anyone share info on what kind of warranty is given on the AMT (kms/years) and usual maintenance costs one can expect on it over the manual ?
Old 20th February 2014, 21:09   #371
Team-BHP Support

I also compared the prices of the A-star automatic with the AMT Celerio. Ok I know the A-star was a flawed product with dismal space at the back and small boot but it was the cheapest automatic before. As mentioned Celerio was more like A-star replacement.

The A-star automatic with a 4 speed torque converter in VXI trim is just 14K more than the Celerio VXI AMT. But for that 14K extra the A-star gets ABS, an audio system and seat height adjust all which are missing in Celerio. Plus expect huge discounts on the A-star which make it cheaper than the Celerio in the end.

The A-star feels better built than the Celerio for sure. I have been driving my colleague's A-star this week and it feels solid with no rattles even after more than a year of abuse. Nice fun car to drive actually.

So why did Maruti remove ABS, audio system and seat height adjust from Celerio in VXi trim?
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 21:42   #372
BANNED

Quote:

The A-star feels better built than the Celerio for sure. I have been driving my colleague's A-star this week and it feels solid with no rattles even after more than a year of abuse. Nice fun car to drive actually.
I fully agree. I drive A-Star, AT, too and I find it very taut, firm car. I found Celerio AMT a bit faster accelerating during test drive but I still wouldn't buy it. Do not like those boring looks. And I am in the minority who just adores A-Star's looks. I like its small glasses and high waist-line and confines. The car fits around you like a glove. Spacious cars make me feel like I am driving a van.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 21:49   #373
BHPian

Picked up an blue AMT Celerio yesterday. It is for my Dad to be primarily used in the city. After an year's break from driving due to an operation, I wanted him to drive stress free. Being a Maruti fan that he is, Celerio fit the bill perfectly. Cleaver packaging, spirited and refined engine and a fuss free driving are the highlights from day 1.

These are few things that caught my eye. Thankfully, not a painful eyesore.

1. Plastics - Not as good as Dad's earlier SX4, but choice of shade is good. Beige carpets are gone for good

2. Panel gap - I can fit my pinkie in the bonnet gap. Bad QA

3. JK Vectras - Screams and howls. Dad's hearing is not the finest, he says he can live with it

4. Engine fan - Loud. Especially when you come to a halt. Comparable to my old cars -the Ikon and Figo

AMT is perfect for a "smooth operator". Being a Scangauge hypermiler myself I was all but happy about my purchase decision. Dash avg. fuel gauge showed 17KMPL on the way back home from the showroom. This, in Bangalore traffic with AC (between, the AC not bad at all). Should easily clock 25+ when hypermiling on the highway. Hopefully, Dad will appreciate it too.

When pushed hard, I found the "rubber band effect" to be evident. Surprised to find this CVT syndrome in an AMT. Calls for further investigation and observation.

For a 3 pot 1ltr. engine, the Celerio is as smooth and responsive as the 2012 Camry that I drove in the US. Hard work of MUL is evident and kudos to them. I've read people talk about engine vibrations in the K10B. With Bangalore's road, traffic and noise, vibrations were not felt. This again, calls for further investigation and observation.

You ask, am I happy? A perfect car is like a lucid dream and a big ask. That said, a ZXI with its safety and entertainment features would have completed an AMT Celerio. Eligibility for excise duty cuts would have paid for and ICE and security system.

Hey, its a car after all. Let me move on and enjoy life.
mug:mush is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 22:05   #374
BHPian

Quote:
The A-star automatic with a 4 speed torque converter in VXI trim is just 14K more than the Celerio VXI AMT. But for that 14K extra the A-star gets ABS, an audio system and seat height adjust all which are missing in Celerio.

The A-star feels better built than the Celerio for sure.
Brought up the above points a few pages back as well. The A-Star AT is an excellent product, only Maruti did not advertise it, so even dealer salespeople pretend as if the Celerio AMT is the first great Automatic Car from Maruti.

Also, price wise the A-Star AT was only 50k more than the Manual trim variant, for which you DID GET ABS. Only thing it is now impossible to find an A-Star AT as they have stopped production. Went to a couple of dealers, one was offering 50k off + 25k exchange for what was the 'last piece available'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I fully agree. I drive A-Star, AT, too and I find it very taut, firm car. I found Celerio AMT a bit faster accelerating during test drive but I still wouldn't buy it.
And I am in the minority who just adores A-Star's looks. I like its small glasses and high waist-line and confines. The car fits around you like a glove.
I just wish it had the low end response of the Celerio, which I feel is much better. And would have loved a wee bit more space, esp in the boot (sometimes a pain during airport runs). Still, a solid car, the only rattle I have is the offside wing mirror which had a run-in with a BMTC bus and survived.
avi550m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 00:48   #375
Senior - BHPian

What changes have been made to the K10 engine compared to the Alto/Astar/WR?
Quote:
So why did Maruti remove ABS, audio system and seat height adjust from Celerio in VXi trim?
A-star is a designed for Europe product (solo driving with occasional backseat use) that Maruti offered to Indians who seek a well built premium microcar with expressive styling & state of the art safety features

They have now realized that majority of buyers in that segment want only sasta-tikau + lots of back seat room and mileage & OK with generic non polarizing styling....hence the Celerio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug:mush View Post

When pushed hard, I found the "rubber band effect" to be evident. Surprised to find this CVT syndrome in an AMT. Calls for further investigation and observatio.
More detail on what you mean by push hard? Launching from a stop or WOT tip in?

Last edited by Mpower : 28th February 2014 at 00:46.
Mpower is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks