Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 11:24   #346
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I agree with you but thumb rule is new model is always little costly. But Celerio is not over costly for sure like Ford launched New Fiesta. You will also agree on that. Over the period, Maruti will surely give some discounts and freebies with it if there is no mad rush for it. People who don't like Wagon R looks, may find this better option.

Not many people likes Ritz due to its odd looking back. So i don't think their is possibility of people going for Ritz instead of Celerio though it has better build and space with bigger engine.
The maruti dealer is a friend of mine and he told me that the MT isn't moving at all cause the price is too much. At similar price you get grand I10 sportz.

The celerio does not feel any better than the wagonR.

Fiesta example is one that didn't work. But check the Honda City. The new city was launched at starting price lower than outgoing model.

The celerio is easily over priced by 50k. The lesser premium of the amt has resulted in amt being vfm.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th February 2014 at 11:50.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 11:49   #347
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT laun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
A quick question on the gearbox. Does it have the torque multiplication effect of torque converters and CVTs? I presume it doesn't, since it's basically a manual gearbox with an add on electro-hydraulic automation kit.
Bang on. It's basically the manual gearbox and clutch with the automation kit.

It drives just like the manual. There is some creep from standstill but not as much as the A-star/torque converter box.

We didn't try on a steep incline but I feel it may roll back in steep slopes like basement ramps.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 13:43   #348
BHPian

Re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT laun

Price cuts announced for all Maruti Suzuki models including Celerio. Expect cuts in the range of 12000-15000 for the Celerio AMT Models.

Source of this Information - Varun Motors, Hyderabad
vijay.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 14:22   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The maruti dealer is a friend of mine and he told me that the MT isn't moving at all cause the price is too much. At similar price you get grand I10 sportz.

The celerio does not feel any better than the wagonR.

Fiesta example is one that didn't work. But check the Honda City. The new city was launched at starting price lower than outgoing model.

The celerio is easily over priced by 50k. The lesser premium of the amt has resulted in amt being vfm.
Just a pure coincidence, Maruti people are in office for marketing and they have got Celerio with them this time. So got chance to review it inside out. Unfortunately it was MT and not AMT due to mad rush for test drives at their showroom. The model they got with them was Red Zxi Optional. Here is my opinion:
  • Design is very fresh to start with and car looked really cool in red.
  • R14 tyres with alloy wheels looked really good. I don't think its a skinny tyre for that car.
  • Interior is also very well thought of and nicely laid. Quality is also better than the likes of Alto. Beige is more here & it looks quite refreshing. Interiors feel very roomy.
  • I was impressed with the leg room at rear. My 6 ft friend sat in front & i was able to seat behind him comfortably. I am surprised. My other friend who has i10 confirms that spacing is better compared to his i10.
  • Boot space is also quite impressive at 235 Lit.
  • Car has got multiple high end features like 2 Air bags, steering mounted controls, Alloy wheels, Music system with Bluetooth connectivity, fog lamps with nice chrome surrounding and few more.
  • We were very surprised to hear the price. It was 5.6 L on road with all these features. It will also reduce by around 15 K due to excise cut.
  • Engine is super smooth as usual and felt adequate for the car.
  • Build quality also i found good. Doors, boot lid felt comparatively heavy.
Overall i am quite impressed with the car. Not to forget, my other 5 friends also very impressed with the car. Not sure if any other car has so many features in that price. Best of luck Maruti. I am sure this car will be in top 10 selling cars in India for months to come
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 15:44   #350
BHPian

Indeed it seems, Celerio going to be one of the top selling car in India...

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...ome-topstories
sbalagru6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 16:08   #351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why criticize Maruti for this? We all know that its a city car only with occasional highway runs for short distances.
ehhh i use my Swift for all my travel needs and infact more than larger cars like Crv which i have at my disposal. Been using MUL since 1986, 7 MUL vehicles so far But one thing i have noticed over the years, the efficient Japanese designs and maddening QC process is slowly changing for the bad. The 1986 Maruti Van had better plastics compared to the current Celerio. Yes the colors are lighter, texture might be different. But the 86 van had very good quality plastics, with proper fit and finish.

The curved plastic part on top of the speedo console in celerio felt like it was cut with scissors, when pressed it moved and if you run your finger over the gap would easily cut the skin. Mind you Celerio is 4.x Lakhs and not at 2.5 or even 3 lakhs territory.

I don't think a Celerio will have any issues with all day highway running, it may not be the most comfortable, might creak a lil but that's about it. I have fought tooth and nail against people commenting Swift is not solid, it is a strong car has taken 6 years of my abuse on indian roads but it was ok at 5.7 lakh i paid, not at over 8 lakhs, even with inflation.

So celerio at 4.x lakhs felt el cheapo to me. The new Wagon R felt better.

Who is to blame? MUL if you ask me. They are not doing us any favor, infact they are minting money pricing an alto replacement at 50% premium?

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th February 2014 at 16:10.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 16:50   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Indeed it seems, Celerio going to be one of the top selling car in India...

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...ome-topstories
Wow !!! 1000 booking per day is huge. I am sure Maruti has one more 10K + seller in their hand in the coming months. With Celerio boost, i guess Maruti will surely targeting overall 50% market share. If they can do it, nothing like it. Come on Maruti, bring Ciaz also in the market ASAP and then SX4 cross. Go for the kill

@Jaggu: I guess MUL deliberately priced MT little higher. If priced little lower, it may cannibalize sales of the Alto which Maruti will not like at all as Alto is their Super Star for last so many years.

Last edited by aniketi : 19th February 2014 at 17:06.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 17:12   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

got an opportunity to test drive the Celerio AMT yesterday. My 2 cents on the Celerio (Vxi version test driven):

1. Interior quality is just about OK. Plastics creak and bend when a little pressure is applied. My 4 year old Wagon R has better quality interiors

2. Seats looked a little too thin for my liking and this might be ok for quick city drives but if you plan to take it out on long drives, expect zero under thigh support

3. No wheel cladding and the pathetic green color of the AMT test drive vehicle is a serious turn off. What were they thinking??

4. AMT is smooth. Shift to drive and the car creeps forward very slowly and upshifts as you accelerate. Car does not stall at low speeds and the the break pedal has been elongated to ensure that you can use your left foot for breaking

5. The elongated brake pedal might be an issue as over time it can get bent due to continuous application of pressure(only the foot rest has been elongated). Remember that you need to press the brake a lot more as you need to use it to keep the car from moving while in gear

6. While the AMT is all buttery smooth initially, the big question is will it remain the same after 10K KM on the odo??
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 17:29   #354
Senior - BHPian

Test drove a Zxi MT with the Optional Alloy wheels just now. AT test car will be arriving at this dealership in two days time. Car has an all around freshness and features to match and will definitely lure some of the would be Grande i10 buyers.

My observations on driving the only 506Km cloaked test drive vehicle is as under,

1. The gear shift is not confidence inspiring though the throw is short. It doesn't slot in but falls into the slot with a noise.

2. Pedals are placed too deep into the foot well forcing even 5'6" drivers to sit too close to the steering wheel.

3. The 3 pot K10 engine is so smooth in this car. The sound is insulated out effectively and the car pulls effortlessly in third gear from as low as 20kmph.

4. From the driving position the small car feel is amply evident where as the A-Star gives a large car feel.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th February 2014 at 17:31.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 19:08   #355
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Did you mean to say the "3 stage door opening" ? As you said, hope to see a fair number of examples in the used market soon.

At least, I am happy that this will prompt other manufacturers also to introduce the Auto option.
Have the same doubt regarding door opening. Could you clarify Pl ?

The TATA ZEST is also coming with the AMT feature. I am told that the Nano Active will also feature an AMT.

Quote:
We didn't try on a steep incline but I feel it may roll back in steep slopes like basement ramps.
That's bad. One of the places where the feature will actually be used in daily life in the cities. Basement / elevated parkings are part of life now no ? Why not have an ECU function to control revs to avoid stalling as available on the eCS ?
lifebuoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 08:13   #356
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the AMT is getting a good response, refer article on zigwheels "Celerio AMT outsells manual" http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...-manual/17913/

Last edited by tj123 : 20th February 2014 at 08:13. Reason: typo
Old 20th February 2014, 09:32   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
That's bad. One of the places where the feature will actually be used in daily life in the cities. Basement / elevated parkings are part of life now no ? Why not have an ECU function to control revs to avoid stalling as available on the eCS ?
It will not stall. It may shift to neutral and start rolling back. But if you are quick enough to move your right feet from the brake to the accelerator, it may not be an issue. In worst case you use left leg for the brake and right leg for the accelerator at the time of launching.
Old 20th February 2014, 12:51   #358
BHPian

Quote:
The celerio is easily over priced by 50k.
Are they trying to make up for the losses of the A-star due to poor sales..

Did you drive around with the AC on? Any difference in the jerkiness in full auto and semi auto mode.

Quote:
Wow !!! 1000 booking per day is huge. I am sure Maruti has one more 10K + seller in their hand in the coming months.
Well, one more way of how FIAT has learnt to make money in India by not selling cars. Will they ever learn how to sell their cars in large numbers?

Cheers
pareshraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 13:21   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
But one thing i have noticed over the years, the efficient Japanese designs and maddening QC process is slowly changing for the bad. The 1986 Maruti Van had better plastics compared to the current Celerio. Yes the colors are lighter, texture might be different. But the 86 van had very good quality plastics, with proper fit and finish.

Who is to blame? MUL if you ask me.
Not arguing, but think about this.

2005 I had booked the newly launched Alto (later cancelled) and the price point then was 2.75L / 3.00L / 3.30L for the three variants.
The Alto still sells at more or less the same price point, give or take 5k. So the inflation in costs has to be factored in somewhere, and it is done on the interiors.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 13:34   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Jaggu: I guess MUL deliberately priced MT little higher. If priced little lower, it may cannibalize sales of the Alto which Maruti will not like at all as Alto is their Super Star for last so many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
2005 I had booked the newly launched Alto (later cancelled) and the price point then was 2.75L / 3.00L / 3.30L for the three variants.
The Alto still sells at more or less the same price point, give or take 5k. So the inflation in costs has to be factored in somewhere, and it is done on the interiors.
This is a replacement for Alto, like Alto was that of 800. Why Alto is still continued, i really don't understand? So there also MUL is taking customers for a ride.

Logical deal for a customer would have been remove/phase out Alto from A city list atleast and introduce Celierio at a slightly higher price ie under 4 lakhs tops.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks