Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 17:08   #196
BHPian

re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

This is off topic, but cannot resist. What is this fascination Maruti has on naming cars after exotic foods - Baleno (Baloney) and now Celerio (Celery)
vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 17:27   #197
BHPian

re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
There is no ZXi auto variant.

Check the brochure pic given in that site closely. The last column is not ZXi Auto Gear. It is optional pack of ZXi.
True.

That's deeply disappointing as the Vxi does not come with ABS. So customers looking to purchase automatic won't get any safety options.
Old 30th January 2014, 17:35   #198
BHPian

Any idea what the NCAP Crash Test score for the Celerio is. I guess they must not have done it as I could only find crash test the A-Star (rebadged as Celerio). Please share a link if such test has been done for Celerio. My aunt wants to get an affordable AT, but not compromising on safety. With No ABS (which I think should 100% be made available on the AMT version), I am having second thoughts about recommending it.

Any idea if trying to find some last stocks of A-Star's AT make sense, as there is a hefty Rs. 50,000 discount on it. Of course, Celerio being newer and with the AMT gearbox, should be a better product and more popular. I dunno, I can only recommend the A-Star AT as yet, am loving mine to bits
Old 30th January 2014, 17:55   #199
Senior - BHPian

Hi @avi550m

With no airbags, I bet the ratings won't be more than 2-stars, but, still it is still better than Alto K10.

Moreover, if I were to select between a Nano, Alto800, Wagon-R, Santro, Spark, Indica & Celerio, I would feel safer in the Celerio for the sake of modern bodyshell (monocoque).

I would rate the i10, Ritz & Beat safer than this though... & I assume the premium hatches to be even better.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 18:04   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
This is truly awesome. Finally a true top end automatic car. Hope Maruti prices this variant sensibly.
Old 30th January 2014, 18:09   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Any idea what the NCAP Crash Test score for the Celerio is. I guess they must not have done it as I could only find crash test the A-Star (rebadged as Celerio). Please share a link if such test has been done for Celerio.
No idea as of yet. I wouldn't expect it this soon. 2014 Hyundai i10 is still not up on Euro NCAP. It would take some time, I guess.

I would say, go ahead without worries. This car is also meant for Europe, Australia, Latin America and the Middle East. Suzuki wouldn't risk it with the Celerio like they did it with the Alto K10. Also, Maruti isn't known to use weaker components on local cars (eg numerous Swift accidents on the forum) like other companies(I GUESS Toyota with the Etios twins).

Quote:
I dunno, I can only recommend the A-Star AT as yet, am loving mine to bits
Same here!

EDIT:
Just saw CARDEEP's post. If there are no airbags, I would suggest you look elsewhere. Not aware if the old i10 AT came with airbags.

If AT is not a must, have a look at the Ritz, Beat, etc.

Why not go for a preowned Ritz Z*i, and add an automated clutch system?

Last edited by amolbh : 30th January 2014 at 18:13.
Old 30th January 2014, 18:15   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
If I am in the market for an auto with ABS and Airbags, Celerio is not a fit??!!

Aside: ZXi shouldnt also come with Airbags?
Quote:
There is no ZXi auto variant.

Check the brochure pic given in that site closely. The last column is not ZXi Auto Gear. It is optional pack of ZXi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
True.

That's deeply disappointing as the Vxi does not come with ABS. So customers looking to purchase automatic won't get any safety options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @avi550m

With no airbags, I bet the ratings won't be more than 2-stars, but, still it is still better than Alto K10.

Moreover, if I were to select between a Nano, Alto800, Wagon-R, Santro, Spark, Indica & Celerio, I would feel safer in the Celerio for the sake of modern bodyshell (monocoque).
Just spoke to a dealer and he has confirmed that there is an auto gear variant that comes with ABS - not sure whether it is the Vxi or Zxi (if there is one). But he said no Airbags (even a drivers' side one) on any variant.
Old 30th January 2014, 18:28   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

When I look at the spec sheet available here, last column of ZXi has a mention of ABS with an * saying that ABS is available only on AGS( Auto gear shift) versions. So technically, all variants will have AGS and all AGS variants will have ABS. Am I correct or is there something i'm missing?
Old 30th January 2014, 18:32   #204
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Any idea what the NCAP Crash Test score for the Celerio is. I guess they must not have done it as I could only find crash test the A-Star (rebadged as Celerio). Please share a link if such test has been done for Celerio. My aunt wants to get an affordable AT, but not compromising on safety. With No ABS (which I think should 100% be made available on the AMT version), I am having second thoughts about recommending it.

Any idea if trying to find some last stocks of A-Star's AT make sense, as there is a hefty Rs. 50,000 discount on it. Of course, Celerio being newer and with the AMT gearbox, should be a better product and more popular. I dunno, I can only recommend the A-Star AT as yet, am loving mine to bits
The Celerio is said to have scored a healthy 4 stars but, it probably won't come with AMT in ZXi trim which will mean no airbags nor abs. Only time will tell for sure.
How about asking your aunt to look at the Micra? Might not be as cheap but with the CVT, it makes for the perfect city runabout.
Old 30th January 2014, 20:10   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Celerio is said to have scored a healthy 4 stars but, it probably won't come with AMT in ZXi trim which will mean no airbags nor abs. Only time will tell for sure.
How about asking your aunt to look at the Micra? Might not be as cheap but with the CVT, it makes for the perfect city runabout.
The main issue here is price. It has to be no more than 5.5 OTR bangalore. The A-Star AT is 5.9 OTR, with Rs 50k off, it is Rs. 5.4 lakhs. All the other options (Micra, Grand i10, Ritz, Brio) are Rs. 7 lakhs and upwards OTR (the micra is close to Rs. 8 lakhs )

Hopefully the Celerio will come with ABS at least for the VXi AMT variant. And at an ex-showroom price of Rs. 4.9 lakhs (as per Autocar Speculation), should be around Rs. 5.7 OTR Bangalore. Hopefully the better FE should compensate for the price diff over the A-Star, which is still available, (but won't be for much longer)...
Old 30th January 2014, 20:18   #206
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
The main issue here is price. It has to be no more than 5.5 OTR bangalore. The A-Star AT is 5.9 OTR, with Rs 50k off, it is Rs. 5.4 lakhs. All the other options (Micra, Grand i10, Ritz, Brio) are Rs. 7 lakhs and upwards OTR (the micra is close to Rs. 8 lakhs )

Hopefully the Celerio will come with ABS at least for the VXi AMT variant. And at an ex-showroom price of Rs. 4.9 lakhs (as per Autocar Speculation), should be around Rs. 5.7 OTR Bangalore. Hopefully the better FE should compensate for the price diff over the A-Star, which is still available, (but won't be for much longer)...
The way I see it, if you want a automatic supermini with all the bells and whistles for cheap, your best bet is a used Honda Brio AT top end version. The car has Japanese reliability and as long as you get it thoroughly checked, nothing can go wrong
Old 30th January 2014, 20:55   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
When I look at the spec sheet available here, last column of ZXi has a mention of ABS with an * saying that ABS is available only on AGS( Auto gear shift) versions. So technically, all variants will have AGS and all AGS variants will have ABS. Am I correct or is there something i'm missing?
Its a little confusing since the source of that spec sheet (www.autosarena.com) is not trustworthy. They have mentioned this spec in their article saying that they got a leaked copy of the Celerio brochure. This brochure copy is also given in the same place where they gave this spec sheet. If you look at the brochure image that these guys have posted, it is a different story to what they've given in the spec sheet that they claim to have prepared based on this brochure.

There are 6 columns listed in the brochure image - two each for LXi, VXi and ZXi which might have made them to conclude that all variants get MT and AMT. The second ZXi column is actually the MT variant with the optional package. The last feature in the LHS (Gear position indicator) shows which of these are AMT variants- it is checked only for 2nd and 4th column and not for the 6th column.

News link: http://www.autosarena.com/scoop-maru...etails-inside/

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Just spoke to a dealer and he has confirmed that there is an auto gear variant that comes with ABS - not sure whether it is the Vxi or Zxi (if there is one). But he said no Airbags (even a drivers' side one) on any variant.
Either the dealer is misinformed or that brochure link you posted earlier is a cooked up one!

The brochure (first 2 rows in RHS) clearly says Driver side airbag in ZXi and dual airbags + ABS for the last variant (column #6). So no ABS in AMT variants and they do give airbags. Refer the brochure in the above link.

Last edited by zenren : 30th January 2014 at 20:59.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 21:14   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Sorry but there is still some confusion here. Can you list down the variants that have AGS (auto gear)? LXi and VXi have it, but ZXi doesnt have it?

If I am in the market for an auto with ABS and Airbags, Celerio is not a fit??!!

Aside: ZXi shouldnt also come with Airbags?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
True.

Quote:

The brochure (first 2 rows in RHS) clearly says Driver side airbag in ZXi and dual airbags + ABS for the last variant (column #6). So no ABS in AMT variants and they do give airbags. Refer the brochure in the above link.

If the brochure is to be believed, its a disappointment at least for me

From the table formed seeing the brochure, I thought that the features marked * were available on Automatic versions. I think the sixth column has something else to tell. Remember, MSIL offered ABS on all automatic variants, namely A-Star, Dzire, Ritz and also lately they standardised ABS on the diesel ertiga. I think the sixth column has a separate marking which states that certain features are available on the AGS version only which are otherwise available on the ZXi opt version.

I am looking forward for some bells and whistles. I am used to electric mirrors, steering adjust and the like and dont think I will let them go for an AMT, at least that's my priority.
Old 31st January 2014, 07:57   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

More on the variants, this time by ACI.

Celerio, when launched, is expected to be available in four trims - LXi, VXi, ZXi and ZXi (Optional) - with manual transmission while the automatic transmission will be available only on LXi and VXi trims.

LXI
The base LXi variant could come with just basics like power steering, an air-conditioner, and body-coloured bumpers on the exterior. The central console and instrument panel will get a low fuel warning lamp, door ajar warning light and headlamp on reminder. It will also display information regarding the current time, fuel consumption and the distance to empty. On the safety front, it will come with child-proof rear door locks and front disc brakes. The Celerio LXi will get 13-inch rims shod with 155/80 section tyres.

VXi
All features from the Celerio LXi and, in addition, get a chrome grille, full wheel covers, vanity mirror for the co-driver, day and night interior rear view mirror, rear luggage shelf and rear seats that split 60:40. It will also get central locking and power windows on all four doors. The Celerio VXi will have 14-inch rims with 165/70 tyres.

ZXi
Will come with body coloured door handles, body coloured door mirrors, wing mirrors with turn indicators, four-speaker audio system with CD, USB, aux-in and Bluetooth compatibility. It is also expected to get door trim fabric on the front doors, keyless entry and steering-mounted audio controls. Additionally, the Celerio ZXi will get tilt steering, driver's seat belt warning lamp, driver airbags, rear window wiper and washer and a rear window demister.

ZXi (Optional) top variant will come standard with all the features offered on the ZXi, on top of which, it could get front fog lamps, alloy wheels, height adjustable driver's seat, anti-lock braking system and a security system with shock sensors.

Source:ACI
Old 31st January 2014, 08:28   #210
Senior - BHPian

I hope the Auto variant has ABS by default. The A-star AT had ABS in the VXi variant. Not offering it on the Celerio will be many steps backwards.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks