Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2014, 15:06   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I bet Wagon R will not certainly loose 70% kind of market share to Celerio for sure in near future (1-2 years). Its a very well settled, trusted brand in India and has its own advantages.
I didn't say 70% of Wagon R numbers might go to Celerio. I said 70% of Celerio numbers could come from Wagon R. There is a big difference between the two. If we assume Celerio to do about 5k, Wagon R sales might drop by ~3.5k and competitors by ~1.5k.
Old 29th January 2014, 12:14   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched

Maruti Celerio EZ Drive automatic tech explained in the ACI link.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-370864.aspx
Old 29th January 2014, 13:09   #183
Senior - BHPian

Is AMT another name for cable-shift gearbox instead of direct-shift gearbox. With the ECU added as topping for cable-shift management. IOW there is no direct linkage between gearbox and transmission but it is managed by cable and actuators.

I think it is another economizing feature in Maruti's constant goals of cutting down components to bare minimum.

Last edited by lurker : 29th January 2014 at 13:10.
Old 29th January 2014, 13:17   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Is AMT another name for cable-shift gearbox instead of direct-shift gearbox. With the ECU added as topping for cable-shift management. IOW there is no direct linkage between gearbox and transmission but it is managed by cable and actuators.

I think it is another economizing feature in Maruti's constant goals of cutting down components to bare minimum.
No not at all. It is a real automatic transmission. There is no clutch and there is no need to change gears even using the gear lever. Slot into D and the gearbox ECU will change the gears for you.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 13:25   #185
Senior - BHPian

But their ads showed that you could change gears just like manual, which made me suspect it was somewhat akin to drive-by-wire gearshift where the old manual gear in cabin was carried over but clutch etc were controlled by ECU. If your revs do not match vehicle speed the system just shifts you a gear down. So it was not even a tiptronic.
Old 29th January 2014, 13:30   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
But their ads showed that you could change gears just like manual, which made me suspect it was somewhat akin to drive-by-wire gearshift where the old manual gear in cabin was carried over but clutch etc were controlled by ECU. If your revs do not match vehicle speed the system just shifts you a gear down. So it was not even a tiptronic.
There is a tip tronic mode as well as a "D" mode. In D the gear shifts for you fully automatic.

In tip tronic just like other cars with tip tronic, you can go up/down the gears.

There's no clutch pedal and no mechanical linkage of the gear shifter with transmission.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th January 2014 at 19:34. Reason: forgot the *pedal*
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 13:47   #187
Senior - BHPian

I think lot of people are confused with the terminologies used with internal implementation exposed.

Maruti could have just said automatic with manual control like DSG (an SSG)
Old 29th January 2014, 14:27   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think lot of people are confused with the terminologies used with internal implementation exposed.

Maruti could have just said automatic with manual control like DSG (an SSG)
I think they are trying to make a point that this is different from the automatics. Otherwise people who are skeptical about ATs (low FE, expensive etc) will stay away.
Old 29th January 2014, 14:28   #189
JLS
BHPian

Can somebody explain whether this AMT is infirior to conventional automatic transmissions?
After going thru all posts in this thread, I could find following two points:
1. in conventional AT there is a torque converter, while AMT is without torque converter.
Question: I have always thought that in a conventional AT, at a pre-defined RPM (may be adepted based on your driving style or normal or sports mode) gear will be shifted upward or downward automatically - what is the role of torque converter

2. Shifts will be jerkier than conventional AT
Question: Will the shifts be that jerky,noisy and unrefined, which will make AMT unusable or unpopular?

On the other side, if AMT is similar to conventional AT and in additional tiptronic mode is also available, how come Maruti is able to offer it at a lower premium ( and also at a similar milage to manual transmission)

OR
Is Maruti also going to charge 75K to 1 lac premium for AMT versions of their cars?

Any clarity will help.

Mods, if official review is already being drafted, please indicate.

Thanks
JLS

Last edited by JLS : 29th January 2014 at 14:34.
Old 29th January 2014, 15:01   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There's no clutch pedal and no mechanical linkage of the gear shifter with transmission.
Ok I realise this line was a bit confusing. What I meant was that there is no clutch pedal for the driver to change.

Basically the AMT works like a normal automatic for the driver. He has to use it the same way as a normal AT barring the fact that there is no "P" mode.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th January 2014 at 19:35. Reason: *pedal*
Old 29th January 2014, 15:09   #191
Senior - BHPian

Moderator note: Please use Quote function while composing replies and avoid leaving inline replies. It affects readability and in further quoting of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Question: I have always thought that in a conventional AT, at a pre-defined RPM (may be adepted based on your driving style or normal or sports mode) gear will be shifted upward or downward automatically - what is the role of torque converter
This is the function of a controller unit which will also be present in an AMT. Different car makers make claims about how good their controller is (ex to avoid gear hunting etc) Torque converter is used instead of a clutch. There are videos on net that can explain the details better

Quote:
2. Shifts will be jerkier than conventional AT
[b]Question:Will the shifts be that jerky,noisy and unrefined, which will make AMT unusable or unpopular?
Since a normal clutch is actuated by a motor, it depends on how smoothly then can engage the clutch

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th January 2014 at 15:56.
Old 30th January 2014, 15:16   #192
BHPian

http://www.autosarena.com/scoop-maru...etails-inside/

From the site :
Engine specs:
  • Type: 3 cyls, 998cc, petrol
  • Power: 67PS @ 6000rpm
  • Torque: 90 Nm @ 3500rpm
  • Transmission: 5 MT/ Auto Gear Shift
Dimensions
  • Length: 3600mm
  • Width: 1600mm
  • Height: 1560mm
  • Wheel base: 2425mm
  • Boot volume: 235 litres
  • Ground clearance: 165mm
The new car will be available in 6 variants: LXi, VXi, ZXi, LXi Auto Gear Shift, VXi Auto Gear Shift and ZXi Auto Gear Shift.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-marutisuzukicelariospecsheet.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 15:50   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
http://www.autosarena.com/scoop-maru...etails-inside/

The new car will be available in 6 variants: LXi, VXi, ZXi, LXi Auto Gear Shift, VXi Auto Gear Shift and ZXi Auto Gear Shift.
There is no ZXi auto variant.

Check the brochure pic given in that site closely. The last column is not ZXi Auto Gear. It is optional pack of ZXi.
Old 30th January 2014, 16:22   #194
Senior - BHPian

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/m...pyshots-114925

More images:
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-maruticelerioredrearspyshot1024x767.jpg  

Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched-maruticelerioredfrontspyshot1024x767.jpg  

Old 30th January 2014, 16:47   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
There is no ZXi auto variant.

Check the brochure pic given in that site closely. The last column is not ZXi Auto Gear. It is optional pack of ZXi.
Sorry but there is still some confusion here. Can you list down the variants that have AGS (auto gear)? LXi and VXi have it, but ZXi doesnt have it?

If I am in the market for an auto with ABS and Airbags, Celerio is not a fit??!!

Aside: ZXi shouldnt also come with Airbags?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks