Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 11:22   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Passat starting with the name hasn't been very appealing. I would any time prefer Jetta to a passat. Passat was considered to be an upgrade to Jetta in American roads, although too much of a price rise between these two models for a larger size. Upgrade on Indian roads should be something close to Dzire to SX4 RIP PASSAT.
Don't understand what you mean here?! And what's wrong with the name "Passat"? If it is about appeal then I think it's subjective like looks. And in India also Passat is considered as an upgrade to Jetta.

However, I think the price killed a good product. D2 segment is very close to bigger Germans and also due to improved leg room in cars like 320d further put a dent on D2 segment cars.

I considered Passat when I was shortlisting cars last month but the dealer said he has no Highline available and that he can't get one from factory as well. I mostly wouldn't have bought it you never know.

Edit: IMO Passat Highline's interiors feel more premium and luxurious than that of Superb's.

Last edited by the_skyliner : 25th December 2013 at 11:28.
Old 25th December 2013, 12:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen discontinues the Passat!

I believe the Passat’s slow death has inevitably come from her sibling from a different mother - the Superb. Not only was the Superb well priced compared to the Passat, the level of equipment, the longer wheelbase (thus, the better rear legroom), better interiors, better and a more responsive steering (going by the user reviews) etc. have all been crucial in sidelining the Passat from the D-segment game.

Btw this was always the Passat I loved (don't bother the LHD part; got the image from Google images):

Volkswagen discontinues the Passat!-car_rental_services_bulgaria_volkswagenpassat1.jpg

The newer ones seemed to have derived its looks from the Phaeton.

I hope VW India learns a thing or two about market demands and aggressive pricing from this chapter. They better get it right when they intend to launch the up! and Tiguan here.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 13:01   #18
BHPian

I think that the phase out of Accord can trace its origins to the lucrative hatchback and entry sedan market also. Amaze has seen tremendous response from the market and the new Honda city is expected to replicate its success 2014 onwards. I think that Honda will like to focus on theses super successful models instead of Accord.

VW on the other hand is struggling with all its models. Polo has not performed as expected and Vento sales is nothing to brag about either. On the other hand their group company Skoda has always found loyal market acceptance from urban Indians and has managed to create a strong brand known for its rock solid diesel performers. I think as a group company they may have chosen to focus on established brands such as Octavia and Superb rather than cannibalising their sales with Passat. Therefore, i would not be surprised if they gradually phase out Jetta also to make more room for the new Octavia.
Old 25th December 2013, 13:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

I believe VW did a right thing by pulling plug on car which is not selling well. Just like Honda has done with Civic & Accord. Maybe CRV could be next.

Reason for such dismal numbers are:
  • These D+ segment cars are breaching 25+ lac bracket which is a whole lot of money for a brand like VW which sells cars starting from 5 lac bracket.
  • When you could get a aspirational brand like BMW 3 series/X1 for Rs 27 lac Ex-Showroom, wouldn't you go in for it.
  • You get a better brand image and snob value. Undoubtedly arriving in a BMW would give more envy than a VW.
  • With upcoming onslaught of lower variants from three big German like Audi A3, Q1; Mercedes CLA, GLA and BMW 2 series, cars like Jetta, Octavia, Superb Camry, CRV, etc wont hold value.
  • Eg. 2 yrs down the line if I plan to upgrade from VW Vento I did definitely look at lower variants from three big German rather than buying Jetta or Octavia.
Old 25th December 2013, 13:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Don't understand what you mean here?! And what's wrong with the name "Passat"? If it is about appeal then I think it's subjective like looks. And in India also Passat is considered as an upgrade to Jetta. .
It may have great meaning but the Polos, Golfs, Beetles, Phaetons and Touaregs are more catchy. It's a personal opinion; no offense to Passat owners.

That said I am still an admirer of German engineering, hydraulic style doors, more metal and years of reputation that begins in the Hitler era. They ought to sell more than other luxury brands here. I have driven Jetta, it was one of the best selling cars in the US at some point. I don't find many of these on Indian roads though.

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2013 at 16:12. Reason: Spelling errors
TMRT is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th December 2013, 16:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

OT : Hey guys, I needed to ask this because I've never been able to figure out the function of Red light in the rear Left indicator.

Volkswagen discontinues the Passat!-image2597060168.jpg

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th December 2013 at 06:46. Reason: corrected placement of image in post, thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 17:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
OT : Hey guys, I needed to ask this because I've never been able to figure out the function of Red light in the rear Left indicator. Attachment 1182380
Thanks in Advance
I think its the rear fog light.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 22:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The accord was expected to be discontinued but the Passat is quite surprising. Clearly the strategy is to let the next facelift Superb sweep the market with a monolopy thereby allow Skoda to raise the price too.

VW should launch the Passat CC at this point, IMO. That model will not conflict as much with the Superb and could command a premium due to it's styling.
The CC is meant to be a owner driven car and has a really tight rear seat. Its a sport coupe which just happens to have back doors.

Last edited by Mpower : 27th December 2013 at 00:26.
Old 25th December 2013, 22:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post

I considered Passat when I was shortlisting cars last month but the dealer said he has no Highline available and that he can't get one from factory as well. I mostly wouldn't have bought it you never know.
The Passat was a brilliant car as a product but a half hearted attempt by VW as an overall package snobbishly presented to the Indian customers with a very 'take it or leave it' attitude.

I can relate to the point you mentioned about the unavailability of the car because even in 2011 when the Passat was new to the market, VW's pathetic distribution strategy and sales forecast were all messed up. The car commanded a waiting period of anywhere between 2-6 months and it was not due to the high demand for the car but due to the lack of supply. Honestly with so many options to choose from, potential 'serious' customers would just settle for one of its competitors without having any regrets in their heart.

The car wasn't the one which would connect with the heart like an Audi or make you feel exclusive like a C-Class or an awesome performer like the 3-series. It wasn't exactly what one calls value for money as it made the Superb feel like a bargain since the latter was priced 2 lakhs cheaper than the Comfortline variant and a whopping 4 lakhs cheaper than the Highline.

And lets not even get to promotion with the very forgettable ads on tv during IPL. There were and still are several people who haven't even heard about the Passat as it is not as visible as any of its competitors be it on road or any other ad media.

So to sum it up, it is really sad seeing a brilliant product being killed but a lesson for the Auto Giant which it may learn and correct in the future. Also this opens up a window for Skoda to re-position the next gen Superb and charge a hefty premium over the outgoing model.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th December 2013 at 23:03. Reason: deleting duplicate post
Old 26th December 2013, 08:30   #25
BHPian

In my opinion, Passat offered most of what E class offered, at half it's price.

Perhaps, comparing Passat to C class or 3 series makes it look expensive (without the snob value), but if you really compare with E class or 5 series, Passat seems a great bargain.

I test drove Passat in 3 separate occasions and wasn't too impressed with their sales person attitude. They really didn't care to sell this beauty. On the contrary, skoda dealers were eager and offered better service overall. I ultimately bought a Yeti Elegance.

As a product, I liked Passat's clear line and timeless design. I didn't buy Passat due to its size and issues with the parking space at home, but sometime in future I wish to own this beauty.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 08:41   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
OT : Hey guys, I needed to ask this because I've never been able to figure out the function of Red light in the rear Left indicator.
Thanks in Advance
It is indeed the rear fog light.

Looks silly and stupid and one thing I fail to understand if why only one light?

One reverse light and one fog light.

OT: So that means you haven't pressed and turned all the buttons/switches in your car to what happens when.

Just Kidding.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th December 2013 at 08:47.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 09:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Passat starting with the name hasn't been very appealing. Passat was considered to be an upgrade to Jetta in American roads, although too much of a price rise between these two models for a larger size.
I think the Passat's base engine, which was a 5-cylinder, didn't have as much appeal either. I wonder what their reasoning for the odd number of cylinders is - Too good to be a 4-cylinder, not ambitious enough for a 6-cylinder?

To top it off, they've reduced the 2.5L engine to a 1.8L engine in the 2014 variant; I hope it's going to mean a lower price because if it doesn't, they might have a hard time trying to sell a car with a smaller engine than Corolla's 2.0L (Passat '14 has a turbo, the Corolla '14 doesn't, but to the layman who spends most of his/her time in traffic, the number printed on the rear matters - defies logic when you consider the difference in power, but it has something to do with ego, prestige, and all).
Old 26th December 2013, 09:18   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post

I think the Passat's base engine, which was a 5-cylinder, didn't have as much appeal either. I wonder what their reasoning for the odd number of cylinders is - Too good to be a 4-cylinder, not ambitious enough for a 6-cylinder?

To top it off, they've reduced the 2.5L engine to a 1.8L engine in the 2014 variant; I hope it's going to mean a lower price because if it doesn't, they might have a hard time trying to sell a car with a smaller engine than Corolla's 2.0L (Passat '14 has a turbo, the Corolla '14 doesn't, but to the layman who spends most of his/her time in traffic, the number printed on the rear matters - defies logic when you consider the difference in power, but it has something to do with ego, prestige, and all).
Moreover these cars are chauffeur driven so the engine size wouldn't matter and the owner would think lesser powerful engine would be better.

His ego is satisfied that he owns a Passat/Corolla/Jetta and not a 1.8L / 2.0 L / 2.5L powered car.

Anurag
Old 26th December 2013, 10:47   #29
BHPian

It isn't merely the luxury marques (Audi/BMW/Merc) that are hollowing out the D2 segment, it's also the SUVs. In fact, even the luxury marques face significant competition from SUVs.

Quite a few people I know who would be natural customers for D2 segmenters and/or the luxury marques have preferred the Fortuner, the XUV500 or even the Innova. Lets face it, our city roads are not really suited for large vehicles. And for long-distance drives, especially if they involve some driving off the main highways, the UVs win because of space, brawn and high GC. So quite a few people who would be natural customers for D2 and above cars actually prefer smaller (read C segment) cars or urban SUVs for the city and regular SUVs/Innova for the highways.
satyaanveshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 10:57   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyaanveshi View Post
It isn't merely the luxury marques (Audi/BMW/Merc) that are hollowing out the D2 segment, it's also the SUVs. In fact, even the luxury marques face significant competition from SUVs.

Quite a few people I know who would be natural customers for D2 segmenters and/or the luxury marques have preferred the Fortuner, the XUV500 or even the Innova. Lets face it, our city roads are not really suited for large vehicles. And for long-distance drives, especially if they involve some driving off the main highways, the UVs win because of space, brawn and high GC. So quite a few people who would be natural customers for D2 and above cars actually prefer smaller (read C segment) cars or urban SUVs for the city and regular SUVs/Innova for the highways.
OT: The Innova top end does take it and the price to the D-Segment.

Fortuner/XUV/Aria are all taking away sales of the D segments.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks