Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2013, 16:07   #16
BHPian

re: Datsun GO: A Close Look

Thanks for the pictures. But it surely looks built to cost. Open Glovebox, Pull type handbrake reminds me of Qualis and Endeavour which even looked odd at that time, the ICE system leaves lot to be desired. Heck, I thought the Nano's ICE looks bad but this is certainly the worst. Also it looks like this one only has front speakers! Which mall have they showcased the Go in?
Old 15th December 2013, 16:38   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Also it looks like this one only has front speakers! Which mall have they showcased the Go in?
Yes. Only front speakers have been provided.
Infinity Mall, Link Road, Malad is the place.
Old 15th December 2013, 17:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
What I didn't Like :[list]
...[*]Sorely miss the cigarette lighter type charging point. So many devices in the market run with that. (or is it there in front left of the gear lever & I didn't notice it?)[*]Single wiper. IMO This is an annoying thing companies have adopted. Even in Nano, this single wiper screams "Cheap".
The head unit provides a direct USB charging option. If you see the head unit photograph, it's also been labelled as "Charging only". It would have been nice if the HU played off the USB drive too, if it can power the USB port for a mobile device. IMO this is better than a lighter socket which requires an ugly adaptor contraption to be used.

As for the single wiper, the Fiat UNO had it, the Tata Nano has it and now the Datsun Go has it. So long as it does its job well - as it did in the Uno and Nano, I see no reason to complain. It's actually good, because replacing the wiper blades is half as costly as for other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The weight does raise safety concerns, though. The Nissan Micra has been proven to have good crash safety ratings (4* on the Euro-NCAP), and it weighs ~ 915 kg. The Micra Active, which loses several features, still weighs ~ 900 kg so it should be as safe as the regular Micra. However, the Datsun Go weighs much less (more than 125 kg less) than the Micra on which it is based. I wonder if it is going to be as safe as the Micra/Pulse/Micra Active?
What is the relation of the vehicle weight to the safety? Is it possible to reduce weight (by using lighter components overall) and still not compromise much on safety? I remember Maruti had carried out a campaign to reduce weight from all its components where the suppliers had been mandated to reduce the weight of components by 1% (or 1gm?). Never heard the cars had become less safer because of it.
Old 15th December 2013, 18:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Low cost ICE system, features only an AUX-in. There is a mobile phone holder and a USB port for charging.
I don't understand how we can call this an ICE! The way I see it, it is just a pair of speakers and nothing more. There is no head unit in that contraption. How is this setup different from a pair of speakers connected to a 2-way AUX adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The head unit provides a direct USB charging option. If you see the head unit photograph, it's also been labelled as "Charging only". It would have been nice if the HU played off the USB drive too, if it can power the USB port for a mobile device.
Reason is simple. You can't read the contents in a USB drive with just a pair of speakers!
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 19:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Reason is simple. You can't read the contents in a USB drive with just a pair of speakers!
I did miss that, apologies for the same. Instead of the Aux, maybe it should provide a USB input. Since it does allow you to connect the mobile phone through a USB cable, if it doubled up to play songs from the mobile (or MP3 for that matter) it would have been a plus. I doubt if using aux cables is in vogue today.
Old 15th December 2013, 19:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Since it does allow you to connect the mobile phone through a USB cable, if it doubled up to play songs from the mobile (or MP3 for that matter) it would have been a plus. I doubt if using aux cables is in vogue today.
"Charging only" means they are connecting only the voltage and ground pins in the USB port and leaving the 2 data pins free. Adding a device to read from USB will come at a price and clearly, they were not willing to spend Rs.1000 for a minimal HU.

They would have saved some money and ridicule if they had left HU slot as empty with provision for speakers. Even the base variants of cars 3-4 times its cost comes without built in HU and it certainly wouldn't have hurt them.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 20:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think I like this. There is a low-cost car there, that has not skimped on door-beading, and the head-unit one is getting to see in these pages can very easily be changed to a proper head unit by the owner along with additional speakers. I also think they will not offer this thing in lower variants even. If the car reminded us of SS80, please acknowledge that the SS80 was a jolly good car, and if this replicates its simplicity, we will definitely go back to the basics for good.

Now all we need to see is pricing, at the Alto800 pricepoint, this surely is a much better alternative. Provided, Nissan expands its service network by leaps from the present scenario.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 20:59   #23
BHPian

I'm a little disappointed after looking at the interiors, however, if Datsun prices this particular variant somewhere between the Alto 800 and the Alto K10, it could do well in the market.
Old 16th December 2013, 09:30   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

The car was on display in Express Avenue - Chennai, Yesterday. Not sure they are going to have it for more time. I had a good look at the car and overall impression is a definite positive. I had a word with one of the guys there and he said he is from Nissan.

My observations / tips from the official.

1. To be priced at 4L OTR for the top end variant
2. Bookings have started, deliveries to start from Feb 2nd or 3rd week, 2014.
3. Car to be launched in 3 variants, the car on display was a mid variant.
4. Space is good by segment standards. Much better than Alto.
5. From @thoma quoted post (below) on the prices, this car could be squarely aimed at Alto 800; GO will be my pick if priced the same.
6. Front seats are good by segment standards.
7. GOOD boot space
8. Plastics did NOT feel that cheap; but hard to touch.
9. The parking brake reminded me of the one in Qualis.
10. Dash mounted gear lever.
11. AC controls are budget stuff - the movement was NOT smooth.
12. The volume button on the HU was nice and did NOT feel budget.
13. Space - A 6"2 guy & a 5"11 guy can NOT sit comfortably behind each other, but still it can accommodate two 5"11' guys easily is my guess - still MUCH better than Alto
14. Rear seat lacks thigh support for a 6"2' guy (me).
15. Ingress & egress was easy - definitely better than Alto.
16 Sitting position was nice (one do NOT sit down) - nice steering wheel
17. Car will NOT offend anyone - it looks quite nice in person.
18. If launched at 4L OTR, this should easily be a game changer for Nissan is my gut feeling. They need to go all guns blazing for marketing though.
19. LOTS of official accessories available

I have 2 brochures, let me see if I can get a pic of it and upload in some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Nano starts from 1.45 lac
Alto 800 from 2.46 lacs
Eon from 2.90 lacs
Alto K10 from 3.26 lacs
Estilo from 3.5 lacs
Spark from 3.34 lacs
Santro from 3.06 lacs
Micra Active from 3.5 lacs...

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th December 2013 at 09:39.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 09:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Renault-Nissan,

I think Indians don't care much about you re-launching "That-sun" or "This-moon" brand. VFM is the rule here. If you are going to market this stripped down Micra as a M800 contender and end up pricing it just 50K less than Micra-Active, be rest assured that it'll bomb.

If your road shows and market research didn't till you, please see the sales report of your own Micra and Evalia.

P.S: I've seen Renault-Nissan-Datsun stooping to very low levels of cost cutting in the recent times. No other manufacturer has done this so consistently. E.g. The silver painted Duster door handles, Evalia Middle row peep hole passing as a window, USB Charging only port in Go etc..
Old 16th December 2013, 16:32   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Pics of the brochures: Sorry for the medium quality pics.

Datsun GO: A Close Look-go_01.jpg

Datsun GO: A Close Look-go_02.jpg

Datsun GO: A Close Look-go_03.jpg

Datsun GO: A Close Look-go_04.jpg

Official Accessories Brochure:

Datsun GO: A Close Look-go_acc_01.jpg

Datsun GO: A Close Look-go_acc_02.jpg

Datsun GO: A Close Look-go_acc_03.jpg

Datsun GO: A Close Look-go_acc_04.jpg

Mods, seems there are two Datsun GO threads in the section. Please merge if deemed required.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 18:51   #27
BHPian

Datsun GO definitely seems more upmarket than Alto series. I presume it's pitched directly against Alto.
Interior seems fresh and practical. Paint job seems of high quality.
Looks won't offend anyone.
It's a good addition in that segment.
Old 16th December 2013, 21:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Official Accessories Brochure:

Attachment 1179396
Add the entire accessory list and the Go would actually be decent on the feature list too compared to Alto/Eon. Looks like they wanted to keep the price of top end variant under 4L and has moved some of the stuff to accessories list. I like that, since you can add just what you really need to any variant that satisfies your requirements otherwise.

3 HUs as optional accessories look fine as long as they are not priced at exorbitant premium like MGA - 2 of them serving basic stuff and a SONY HU with smartphone connectivity sounds good enough. If that AUX setup was placed instead of the blank plastic plate across the variants and not as a feature for the top end version, then I'll withdraw my complaint about low cost ICE. Its a good alternative to the plastic plate.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 21:59   #29
BHPian

In India 'sab kuch bikta hai' !
Looking at recent set of events including approval of bajaj quadricycle some unsafe people movers hitting the market,I just wonder if our Govt. even bothers to implement safety in vehicles.Cars like this which are built to a cost are a step backward in this direction.
Old 17th December 2013, 01:31   #30
BHPian

To me this car looks cohesive, built with a heart(although with a smaller or you can say a practical no-nonsense heart) & possesses a genuine theme/character of its own than bare-basic stripped to cost cars.
Last time i came across a car with genuine theme in sub 4 lac range was TATA NANO.

No offense meant to anyone but EON, IMHO is a overdone concept, not as practical as it needs to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for sharing the details.
BTW, the fourth pic shared by you of its brochure shot(quoted above) tells all the story about the Datsun's approach towards the Indian car industry & they commitment towards it, lets hope they fulfill them as much as possible to get themselves into the place, where they want i.e to grab 10% market share of Indian car industry by 2016.
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks