Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2006, 14:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Guys, I don't understand why people try to find fault in PM's statement blaming him for blocking traffic with his convoys. I agree to an extent that VIP convoys are pain and there should be alternatives like using helicopters for them. But can our country afford that.
Satish , you agree to an extent ?? Just an example - I have a valid monthly pass for passing a tollbooth in Mumbai...and I'm shooed out of the lane so that the particular is kept empty and ready for our PM who has left the airport that is 45 mins away... and then the convoy of 25 cars will pass without paying any toll. Are all Govt officials exempt from paying toll ?? And only the common man has to pay taxes and toll for using roads ...the govt doesnt?

As far as helicopters are concerned - the companies that provide helicopter services , sustain themselves on carrying important people like our PM, Sonia Gandhi and other so called leaders.....so I guess yes THIS POOR COUNTRY CAN AFFORD TO BURN AVIATION FUEL INSTEAD OF PROVIDING THE POOR WITH FOOD AND SHELTER.

Quote:
In our country it’s not safe even for a successful business man to travel without security, so how do you expect a PM or President to travel all alone.
Why not ? When Presidents in other countries can travel by public transport - why not our PM ? Why dont our Govt officials set examples and start travellling by public transport ? Why do they want to travel in a convoy of 4 cars ? Isnt that a waste of fuel ? God knows whether they pay for it or not too....

Quote:
Coming to the point, because he is a PM, it's not his duty to see that we all follow our traffic rule, we all pay our taxes, we all are disciplined.
Hmm , then applying the same logic its not right of him to complain ...

Quote:
If PM himself has stated his opinion, we can expect in what a sorry situation we are behaving on the roads.
I guess the PM himself got stuck in a jam for the 1st time , hence the statement...

Quote:
I would never wish somebody pointing me to follow rules and maintain discipline that was taught to me in school when I was in Class 2. I would take care of them my self before anybody notices that.
And if everbody felt like that - the problem wouldnt occur in the first place.

Guess needed to get this out of my systems ...sorry for the raving and ranting..
Old 27th June 2006, 14:57   #32
BANNED

What really gets me is that our PM travels in a high speed convoy for which all other traffic is halted to make way. All the roads on his route are beautified and construction is hurriedly finished (at least in Bombay) to make his path smooth and beautiful.

In spite of all this he is complaining.

Imagine if he really had to go through our regular traffic conditions. I think the poor soul would have a nervous breakdown!
Old 27th June 2006, 15:05   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
... and then the convoy of 25 cars will pass without paying any toll. Are all Govt officials exempt from paying toll ??

As far as helicopters are concerned - the companies that provide helicopter services , sustain themselves on carrying important people like our PM, Sonia Gandhi and other so called leaders.....so I guess yes THIS POOR COUNTRY CAN AFFORD TO BURN AVIATION FUEL
IIRC, there was a mention in another thread that no-one is exempt from paying tolls.

Actually, aircraft - small ones esp, dont use that much fuel. It's more about the cost of the aircraft. It makes much more sense if a VVIP uses an aircraft instead of doing a 25 car [all high power, fuel guzzling cars] convoy - and simultaneously having a few thousand vehicles idling away waiting for these 25 cars to pass by.

Yes, slow vehicles are another problem - like the 3-wheeled goods carriers that are loaded to the point that they cant move .. Loaded trucks on city streets in peak hours

Last edited by condor : 27th June 2006 at 15:08.
Old 4th November 2008, 17:19   #34
BHPian

Just saw this thread.
Those comments are clearly targetted at private car owner. From my experience, the least courteous drivers on the roads are cab drivers,auto drivers, bus drivers etc.
I just have a couple of questions.
(1)How often do you see two private cars colliding?
(2)How often do you see accidents where at least one party is an auto/truck/bus/cab/two wheeler/lorry?
(3)How many undented indica cabs have you seen?
etc etc etc
Frankly, the only way I can interpret this comment is "My citizens, some of you own really good cars. Thus, if you have a Honda Accord, you should be glad. Please don't complain about the roads. Yes, we do collect Life time road tax, but it is ,in reality ,a penalty for owning a car. Please improve your behaviour. And next time when you complain about bad roads, think about the man with nothing. Very few have Honda Accords and few of them vote. All auto rickshaw drivers vote, so be courteous to them"

It is just my opinion and my interpretation.
e1t1bet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 16:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road manners drive PM angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Sorry, But the PM himself causes inconvience to traffic when he moves around, Never follow traffic rules/Always Break Red Lights/Always Cut across in any direction without indicators....Infact at times when the PM or any VIP movement happens the Sirens blaze even when passing hospital zones..! Shiela Diksheet's ( Delhi CM) daughter rammed a lawyer's Car in delhi and used her influence to threaten him....Do you think we should listen to Rule Breaking Congress Leaders....! Mr.Singh is one of the most dignified leaders agreed..But when he himself cannot honour rules..I don't think he has the right to lecture any public..!..I would'nt agree less on BJP leaders also...!
purely on a lighter note, I was delighted to stumble upon this picture of Dr Manmohan Singh ji commuting like any one of us...simplicity personified
Attached Thumbnails
Road manners drive PM angry-pm.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 19th April 2016 at 16:45.
vinay kamath is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks