Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 19:21   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinks_69 View Post
Honda is expecting sales of 4000 units a month from their new model as per the newletter from AutocarIndia today.

Interesting to know the sales of different generations of Honda City :

Generation 1 : 59000 (1998-2003)
Generation 2 : 178000 (2003-2008)
Generation 3 : 193000 (2008-2013)

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-365974.aspx/0
The third generation Honda City performed very well in terms of sales figures even in amidst of good diesel cars like Vento & Verna .

Do note that the third generation suffered from frequent petrol hikes and recalls which affected the sales numbers very badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Same specced diesel as in the Amaze?? Absolutely no change to power/torque figures? Very disappointing.
If it's true then this will be really disappointing. I wish there must be at least 110 BHP under the hood of diesel variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

First no VGT and now this. Looks like I will have to revert my booking to the petrol variant. Still, waiting for official confirmation (and Team-BHP review) on this piece of information before taking any decision.
Will you trade off your Pegasus for the petrol variant 2014 City?
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 20:14   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Disappointing for sure. One thought.
Kerb weight of Amaze Diesel is 1075 (110 more than petrol Amaze)
Kerb weight of 3rd Gen City Petrol was around 1100
So we can expect 4th Gen City Diesel to be around 100 - 150 more than the current Amaze Diesel. Not sure how much would be the performance impact of the extra 150 kg
Lugging more weight would mean a slight drop in FE. If performances figures (power/torque) remain same or are slightly bumped up, a marginal drop in FE should be expected. Amaze returns 25.4 kmpl as per ARAI - the 2014 City should return anything between 23 and 24 kmpl.

Let's wait for the actual figures now.

Quote:
It is really disappointing for Honda City fans in India to be given the Fixed Geometry Turbo (FGT) instead of the Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) for the new Honda City 2014 diesel engines.

Come on Honda you cannot keep India at the back yard of automobile technology in order to keep costs down. The difference in costs between the two would have substantially reduced by the economies of scale - considering the pent up demand for a Diesel City. In case if the same power and torque figures of Amaze is carried forward to the New City - the demand might not be significantly higher.
ACI is confirming unofficially, so it should be true. But then again, to keep the popularity going and to take the fight to the Verna, Honda India might be looking to keep the initial pricing low.

Remember that the Elantra diesel also sells well, despite sharing the same engine with the Verna. The average car-buying Indian has been spoilt by Hyundai and it's feature-loaded offerings. Honda might have taken a leaf out of that. Brand City and those bunch of new features will pull in the crowds - add an attractive price range for the variants and you have a bestseller in your hands. Honda might actually be playing safe here.

But still, if this turns out to be true, it will be very disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
If it's true then this will be really disappointing. I wish there must be at least 110 BHP under the hood of diesel variant.
That could have been true if they went with the VGT. With the same FGT engine in a tuning for achieving maximum FE, I expect a marginal bump in the power/torque figures (if ACI turns out to be incorrect in it's unofficial confirmation). Maybe in the region of around 105 BHP (max) and around 220-225 Nm (max).

Quote:
Will you trade off your Pegasus for the petrol variant 2014 City?
No chance. We will keep both generations. Dad will drive Pegasus. (at least we have mutually agreed to that for now)

Last edited by RavenAvi : 30th November 2013 at 20:17.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 00:02   #273
BHPian

The only possible drawback with this car, is the rear parcel tray, one hard braking scene, and the parcels on the tray, come crashing down on the rear passenger.
Also, the rear boot space, looks a bit reduced to me, perhaps my vision playing tricks.
Lets not be too positive about the competitive pricing aspect as well, with the sun roof, and cruise control features, this car is sure going to be priced at least a lakh more than the outgoing City!!
Old 1st December 2013, 00:24   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonubbsr View Post
Also, the rear boot space, looks a bit reduced to me, perhaps my vision playing tricks.
+1

I don't know why but the boot space looks reduced to me as well from the picture. Can this be attributed to the fact that car's wheelbase has been increased? I am not sure about this though.

The 3rd gen has ample of boot space and I hope this remains same in this model also.
Old 1st December 2013, 05:51   #275
BHPian

Here is a review on HondaCity 2014 by NDTV from the Tokyo Motor show:

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/the...ides-in/299692

There is info about other cars displayed in the Tokyo show. If you are interested only in the City, then hop to following timeline:
0:35
11:39
19:44.

Nothing new from what has been already discussed in this forum. But I'm sure many of you would like to see different opinions from different auto journalists!

And here is the comparison between the 3rd and 4th generation:
Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-image2423976147.jpg
Boot capacity in 2014 City = 510 lts

Image courtesy: Autocarindia.com

Cheers,
Yogesh

Last edited by kryogesh : 1st December 2013 at 06:10.
kryogesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 10:36   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Honda always provides safety features across all models. The 3rd Generation City has ABS with EBD - see picture below from their brochure :
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
@bsdbsd: This does not appear correct. Which year and which variant do you have? From at least the 2012 version, the City enjoyed ABS with EBD and Brake Assist, and dual front SRS airbags in all variants.
Thanks Spinks and Asit. Based on your inputs, I re-read the manual and on Page #179, it indeed mentions of City having ABS with EBD.

Mine is a 2013 August purchased model. Hardly a few months old. On Page #180, it mentions about BA (Brake Assist) NOT being available on ALL models. This information is ambiguous at best. It does not mention which models have BA and those that don't have.

For now, I will relax knowing at least EBD is present.

Slightly OT.

During my last service (2nd), the service executive kind of (mis)guided me in going for a synthetic oil. The car had done 2500kms. After changing the oils (3.6L), I was billed for 2,800 INR. Later I found that this is an semi-synthetic Idemitsu -030W oil. What are the implications of this? Also, I found that they did not fully "flush" the engine/oil bay before performing this. Please let me know what to watch out for during next two services. Thanks in advance.
Old 1st December 2013, 11:20   #277
BHPian

To me looks like the pure Honda design and philosophy of classic lines and a bit understated seems to have been given a go-by. Personally I was a fan of minimalist design from Honda, for each of the older models do not look out of place even today.

The notches on the sides and the flare on the front wheel all feel more 'korean' - probably it's their new design philosophy.

The front chrome on the face looks 'in the face' again Honda trying to go bold?

Of course the rear lamps look classy, but seem to have borrowed from the spirit of a BMW? Wonder if they have some teutonic and Korean influences sneaked into the design department!

I have a suspicion that the new model is '5th' gen (there was one more between the 1st as shown in the pics before IDSI engine, tall boy).

While the package seems to be alright - all right buttons pressed, they somehow do not meld in a unified way, IMHO.
Old 1st December 2013, 12:09   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post

Slightly OT.

During my last service (2nd), the service executive kind of (mis)guided me in going for a synthetic oil. The car had done 2500kms. After changing the oils (3.6L), I was billed for 2,800 INR. Later I found that this is an semi-synthetic Idemitsu -030W oil. What are the implications of this? Also, I found that they did not fully "flush" the engine/oil bay before performing this. Please let me know what to watch out for during next two services. Thanks in advance.
Its the tactics of all service centers be it Honda or Marui etc.

Always go for mineral oil only.

Next time just ask them to use mineral oil after engine flush.
Old 1st December 2013, 18:50   #279
Senior - BHPian

So i booked the city today. No cars have arrived in the showrooms and they arent up for display till next month i am told. The first batch will be diesels and therefore my petrol A/T will arrive only by mid february. The A/T is expected in only 1 trim (VX)as per the salesman. So im guessing a price in the range of 10.5-11.25L.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 19:09   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
So i booked the city today. No cars have arrived in the showrooms and they arent up for display till next month i am told. The first batch will be diesels and therefore my petrol A/T will arrive only by mid february. The A/T is expected in only 1 trim (VX)as per the salesman. So im guessing a price in the range of 10.5-11.25L.
Congrats. I recall you were deciding between the vento tsi and the Honda city. What finally made you decide on the city? Is the price quoted the ex showroom price? An earlier post indicated the ex showroom price of the top end auto at 10.99,lakhs.
Old 1st December 2013, 19:10   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats. From which showroom you booked the car?
Old 1st December 2013, 19:18   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats. From which showroom you booked the car?
Booked at Classic Honda in Faridabad as they did not have any previous A/T bookings. Puts me ahead in the queue i guess.
The Vento TSI is a better buy in many ways but the car is due to be replaced by an all new Vento in 2015 and a facelift in 2014 prior to that. I dont want to drive around an older model since i want to keep the car for 5 years.
Old 1st December 2013, 19:21   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Booked at Classic Honda in Faridabad as they did not have any previous A/T bookings. Puts me ahead in the queue i guess.
The Vento TSI is a better buy in many ways but the car is due to be replaced by an all new Vento in 2015 and a facelift in 2014 prior to that. I dont want to drive around an older model since i want to keep the car for 5 years.
Hi

I was planning on a vento tsi soon. Your information puts the spanners in my detail oriented work! Do you have a link, news report suggesting a possible facelift and/or upgrade in 2014. Or is it a calculated guesstimate?
Old 1st December 2013, 22:03   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
Hi I was planning on a vento tsi soon. Your information puts the spanners in my detail oriented work! Do you have a link, news report suggesting a possible facelift and/or upgrade in 2014. Or is it a calculated guesstimate?
the Vento has been in the showrooms as long as VW have been in India ie around 5 years. Though I have not come across any article on a facelift,I am trulely guessing that it is due for one.No other car has been through 5 years without a facelift in recent times?i could be wrong though.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 1st December 2013 at 22:05.
Old 1st December 2013, 22:53   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
the Vento has been in the showrooms as long as VW have been in India ie around 5 years. Though I have not come across any article on a facelift,I am trulely guessing that it is due for one.No other car has been through 5 years without a facelift in recent times?i could be wrong though.
If I am not mistaken Vento was launched in 2010 only.

by the way, if I were to buy an AT car today it would be the Honda City without even thinking about any other car. With the 2014 model Honda has made up for the only deficiencies in the erstwhile City (which were the features). It is a very compelling package right now and the competition does not posses any significant threat right now (my perception). Hyundai and VW will have to update their C segment pretty soon to really threaten Honda's imminent dominance again.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks