Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2015, 15:21   #856
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire- AT Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
From what I've read and heard, I would still not recommend the Aspire AT as an option alongside the Polo TSI. I'd say that people looking for an easy drive - with a bit of driving fun thrown in - to look at the Aspire AT. On the other hand, if driving fun is the priority, then its Polo TSI all the way.
Agree, I think that sums it up pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
Rajeevraj,

Is the DCT also a "learning" type of transmission - like the DSG? Could it be that the previous run of the car is influencing the next run?
I assume it should be. But the 'learning' happens over a period of time and will not happen in a few km. Since the TD's started only a couple of days back, the cars would not have been driven enough for the DCT to get into a specific style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Straight line acceleration of Vento/Polo TSI is too good and car seems eager to please. Did you get same feeling with Aspire AT?

If someone is not to concerned with back seat space and will be driving AT for first time, would you say it does not matter what to get between Polo TSI and Aspire AT?
No, the Aspire does not give that outright wow feel in straight line acceleration. That is where the Turbo TSI shines, all of that 176 NM torque is available from 1400 RPM onwards. The 1.5 in the Ford since it is a Naturally Aspirated engine has a peak torque of 146 and that too at a high RPM of 4000+. Being a lighter car helps, but not enough to out shine the TSI.

The Polo has 3 fundamental problems (First 2 applicable to the Vento also)
  1. The reliability concerns of the DSG Gear Box used in the Polo/Vento TSI (DQ200) (Although there have been no issues reported for the Polo/Vento-This is something that always comes up)
  2. VW's Iffy After Sales and potentially expensive maintenance
  3. Interior space.

If 1 and 2 are acceptable (like it was for me) and space is not a big concern-The Polo TSI is the one to go for. It is still definitely the most fun to drive AT by a good margin and the potential for modifications and add ons are extensive.

If space is a concern, the Aspire and the Jazz comes into the picture. The spire would be better to drive and enables the advantages of a Dual Clutch AT without any reliability concerns. So for good drivability in most situations, the Aspire would be my choice.

I would opt for Jazz purely for the huge amount of space it provides. But Honda did a big big mistake in not providing it in VX variant.

On a side note: Wish Ford had introduced the 1.0 Ecoboost paired to the DCT. They have it in other markets. Looking at the Ecosport prices, the Ecoboost command a ~1L premium over the equivalent 1.5. Putting that in the Aspire would have meant a ~8.6-8.7 Ex Showroom Price. That would still be good pricing and would put it straight up against the TSI.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 14th August 2015 at 15:30.
Rajeevraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 16:27   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

The Polo has 3 fundamental problems (First 2 applicable to the Vento also)
  1. The reliability concerns of the DSG Gear Box used in the Polo/Vento TSI (DQ200) (Although there have been no issues reported for the Polo/Vento-This is something that always comes up)
One of the biggest advantages Ford could have is offering the same warranty on the DCT in Aspire as they did with the Fiesta(I believe it was for 10 years). When I bought my Jetta, the max warranty was 2 years (later it was 65K for an extended warranty of 2 years I think), hence I decided to go with the manual tranny. Ford here has a chance to push the automatic sales by offering this and mainly advertising it.

Last edited by shivasuma : 14th August 2015 at 16:29.
Old 14th August 2015, 16:38   #858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
One of the biggest advantages Ford could have is offering the same warranty on the DCT in Aspire as they did with the Fiesta(I believe it was for 10 years). When I bought my Jetta, the max warranty was 2 years (later it was 65K for an extended warranty of 2 years I think), hence I decided to go with the manual tranny. Ford here has a chance to push the automatic sales by offering this and mainly advertising it.
Actually they did not offer 10 years warranty. What they said was that it is sealed and maintenance free for 10 years.I think this was mistaken for 10 year warranty. But in any case the Ford DCT is considered to be trouble free

That is pretty expensive for an Extended warranty. I got 2 year extended warranty on my Vento TSI for ~16K (in 2014)
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 20:40   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Actually they did not offer 10 years warranty. What they said was that it is sealed and maintenance free for 10 years.I think this was mistaken for 10 year warranty. But in any case the Ford DCT is considered to be trouble free
Infact they do offer a 10 year warranty on the gearbox. See the screenshot taken directly from Ford press release about Aspire. The entire press release can be found here:
http://www.slideshare.net/indianauto...-press-release
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-14082015083824.png  

Last edited by ashua : 14th August 2015 at 20:45.
ashua is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 20:49   #860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
Infact they do offer a 10 year warranty on the gearbox.
Thanks for that info. Very interesting. This point was discussed some time back in one of the other threads and at that time, folks involved in the discussion were not able to find a reference to the 10 year warranty in the Fiesta/Ecosport manuals or website.

Few additional points to ford for this.
Old 14th August 2015, 20:57   #861
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Below are pictures of some of the colours I was able to spot today at the dealership. The only two missing colours are white and gold. I think someone has posted the gold colour picture in the earlier posts on this thread:

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-img_2676.jpg

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-img_2677.jpg

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-img_2678.jpg

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-img_2679.jpg

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-img_2680.jpg

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-img_2681.jpg

Well, as someone pointed out, the DCT has a learning curve and the car I was driving had done only 125 odd kms on the odo. Also, I was testing it for performance and hence was disappointed. Over a period of time, one should get used expecting power only around 4000 RPM and drive accordingly.
Quote:
Quite interesting. My experience was almost the opposite as detailed above.

Last edited by witwiky : 14th August 2015 at 21:13. Reason: Responded to a discussion
witwiky is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 21:56   #862
BHPian

Visited the ford showroom to have a peep at the Aspire.

Sadly I was the only customer, in stark contrast to the NEXA showroom which was bustling even at 8 pm.

The salesman assured delivery in 2 to 3 weeks so I am lead to believe that they have learnt from the Ecosport's long waiting period fiasco and stocked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-aspireprice-list.jpg  

Old 14th August 2015, 22:01   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Visited the ford showroom to have a peep at the Aspire.

Sadly I was the only customer, in stark contrast to the NEXA showroom which was bustling even at 8 pm.
Few customers turn up to ford showrooms hearing the price and may end buying it. NEXA showroom crowd could be to see the showroom and leave after seeing OTR prices
Self Driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 23:52   #864
BHPian

I took delivery of a white automatic for my dad today. I must say that it is very apt for his need and I just drove it for 40 odds km and noticed the few important omissions :

1. Dead pedal
2. Front arm rest
3. No reverse sensor or camera

Rest you can't compare this with polo dct as that is altogether a different beast and better than it in all the driving and handling department, but the aspire's advantage is :

1. Sedan (boot??)
2. Cheaper by more than a lac
3. Cheaper maintainance

So all in all its a complete car for the city and my dad is loving it. Also the back windows are huge and back seat passengers are going to get some panoramic (window) feel. :-)
rishi7 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 00:49   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi7 View Post
I took delivery of a white automatic for my dad today.
Congratulations on your new ride. White is a very elegant colour imo, which shall look pretty good on this particular car. Irrespective of the comparison with polo GT, I must say you have a made a very "Good choice" in AT.

This is one thread which I'm closely following because in future I would love to get my hands on the hatchback version. Let's see what ford gives us.
Till then keep us updated.
Cheers.
Old 15th August 2015, 09:59   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new aspire AT. May be you should start an ownership thread specifically focusing on the driving aspect of AT.
Old 15th August 2015, 11:18   #867
Senior - BHPian

How much does a tachometer cost. A car with 100 hp atleast needs a tachometer. It's just a silly missout.
Old 15th August 2015, 11:38   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
How much does a tachometer cost. A car with 100 hp atleast needs a tachometer. It's just a silly missout.
Its not so much about the cost of a tachometer per car. Say a tachometer costs INR 1000, it translates to a saving of INR 1Cr for every 10000 units of the car! Huge savings for the manufacturer IMO.
But yes, a tachometer is the basic of all the basic stuff that a manufacturer can provide. Plain stupidity to skimp on it in terms of cost!
Old 15th August 2015, 12:02   #869
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new Aspire AT! I think you're the first person on Team-BHP to have got delivery of this new Ford, and many more BHP-ians are sure to follow (advance congratulations to them, too!) I wish you and your dad many, many happy miles and smiles with this wonderful compact sedan!

Last edited by RSR : 15th August 2015 at 12:04.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 15:16   #870
BHPian

Thanks, I drove it this morning too and it is surely getting a lot of attention on the road. If any of you have any specific question for the car I can answer, so far the ride and the car is looking good. Would like to specially mention the dock. This is holding the phone well and I was able to use Google map through my phone without any issue and the phone was in place. I think it is a smart move to save money and now I do not require any GPS separately. Only the rear camera for 11k will be required as an additional accessory.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks