Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2015, 12:59   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
For example:
Maruti cars feel light, and yes they have shabby build quality
However Toyota cars feel light (esp lower end models like Etios) but the build quality is pretty good
Could you let us know how did you come to this conclusion? Is it because of the blind faith in the 'T' brand?
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 13:08   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
But what are the chances of the manufacturers in India, given that most of them are at similar price bandwidth, and evolution as far as technology is concerned to employ cutting age metallurgy and obtain lighter metal that gives similar, if not more, stability in crash scenarios.

The awkward and unfortunate truth of the current times is, that manufacturers often indulge in skimping the metal strength in order to eek out the last drop of mileage from their cars and also to reduce the bottom-line in the financial books. Given this scenario, I, as general car buyer, would like to believe that a heavier door means better build.
Since we are discussing Ford here, Ford in India has indeed invested in high-end high-strength steel, importing it if needed. That is why the Fiesta has brilliant build quality while not being extremely heavy.

Thicker sheet metal does not equate with safety, otherwise Ambassador cars would be pretty safe to travel in.
Old 11th May 2015, 13:16   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Could you let us know how did you come to this conclusion? Is it because of the blind faith in the 'T' brand?
No blind faith. Rather:
  • Multiple TBHP Etios and Liva ownership reviews that say that despite the light feel of the cars there are minimal or no rattles after extended use.
  • Experience of using Innova and Qualis taxi vehicles that have run 2-3 lakh and still feel more solid that most low-mileage Marutis.
  • Firsthand experience as an owner of a Maruti car, with countless rattles and poor build quality.
chncar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 13:31   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Quote:
No blind faith. Rather:
  • Multiple TBHP Etios and Liva ownership reviews that say that despite the light feel of the cars there are minimal or no rattles after extended use.
  • Experience of using Innova and Qualis taxi vehicles that have run 2-3 lakh and still feel more solid that most low-mileage Marutis.
  • Firsthand experience as an owner of a Maruti car, with countless rattles and poor build quality.
+1 to your view Schumifan

This is a pretty biased and unjustified comparison.
  • I have sat in a close to Rs. 30 lac Fortuner and was pretty surprised with a lot of rattles. BTW, that Fortuner was only 3500 kms "young".On the other hand, a 6 year 38K+ Swift we checked out for a friend looking at a used car was without any rattles. The cabin was super silent.
  • Again, Qualis/Innovas with high mileage ply mainly on highways. You can consider with Dzire Tours. Our family hired a Dzire for a trip to Gir and Somnath. It has 1,39,000 kms on the Odo and drove like a dream

Last edited by Eddy : 11th May 2015 at 13:34. Reason: Tfort = Fortuner
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 13:35   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No blind faith. Rather:
If build quality is about the way the car keeps rattles away, why are we debating about the build quality of a display car?

Shouldn't we actually wait for the car to get some mileage on our roads first?

I guess, the new car being lighter will help it fight the Japanese competitors better. Unfortunately in our country, mileage and service costs take the front seat - and lesser weight will help the Figo Aspire fare better with the Dezire & the Amaze.
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 14:49   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
If build quality is about the way the car keeps rattles away, why are we debating about the build quality of a display car?

Shouldn't we actually wait for the car to get some mileage on our roads first?
Read the entire set of posts. I merely stated in response to the post quoting Zigwheels claim based on the display car regarding the build quality being lighter than the Figo, that build quality does not necessarily have anything to do with the thickness of sheet metal or feeling of lightness. I gave a couple of examples for that, which was probably a mistake since it resulted in various people jumping in to defend the brand of car that they own.

I guess this thread is going off topic so we should end this line of discussion here.
Old 11th May 2015, 15:01   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Zigwheels has reported that the build quality of Aspire displayed at the malls is lighter than the current Figo model. Can anyone confirm the same?
Not sure how someone can confirm without a proper road test or after couple of months of ownership.

Some early pointers could be kerb weight or how the doors feel in comparison to the Figo or the Fiesta Classic.

By the way, the Figo had far more rattles and squeaks than the Fiesta Classic but FELT pretty heavy in comparison to the Japanese hatchbacks. Sometimes Build Quality as a term is used pretty loosely.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 19:47   #278
BANNED

I was asking whether those who had seen the Aspire felt that the sheet metal felt tinny like Amaze. I was not implying that a heavier car is safer. My Dad owns a Figo which doesn't squeak or rattle after 5 years, so the rattling depends on how you treat your car. I'm looking for a new car, felt a Ford would suit my needs, so was curious. Didn't intend to start an off topic discussion.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 20:54   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I was asking whether those who had seen the Aspire felt that the sheet metal felt tinny like Amaze. I was not implying that a heavier car is safer. My Dad owns a Figo which doesn't squeak or rattle after 5 years, so the rattling depends on how you treat your car. I'm looking for a new car, felt a Ford would suit my needs, so was curious. Didn't intend to start an off topic discussion.
I had an opportunity to observe the Aspire on display. Honestly, it was tough for me to conclude if its build quality is different from the Fiesta that I have. Bonnets of both seemed to be at par in weight. The doors of Aspire were somewhat lighter to operate but that can also be due to adjustment of hinges.

Couple of obserations on interios. The beige of inside is not bad in itself but IMO, not quite in accordance with typical Ford car identity. Second, the boot seems one of the largest in sub-4m section.

Awaiting the upcoming reviews of the car.
rsm97 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 10:35   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

The Aspire's promo brochure scans have been posted by Rush Lane.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 12th May 2015 at 10:52.
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 12:53   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Aspire's promo brochure scans have been posted by Rush Lane.
Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I went for some marketing research thing where I got to test drive the Figo Aspire. Here's what I thought:

- The pick up was phenomenal. The car zips.
- The build quality was solid for an entry-level sedan. I went over potholes and bumps at around 50 and the car took it all without squeaking. I have a Duster BTW
- The interiors are cool. Some nice tricks for example an adjustable docking console thingy on the dash that can fit your device.
- Good overall fit and finish.

Not sure, but I probably drove a petrol version. This car should do well here and abroad. Anyone who's interested in it - Test Drive quick!

Cheers!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th May 2015 at 09:03. Reason: Corrected quotes, thanks!
Clouseau is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 17:06   #282
BHPian

^^ was it the petrol or the diesel car you drove ?

Is the rear seat foldable?
Old 12th May 2015, 19:40   #283
Senior - BHPian

I request to go through the accidents thread to get the clear idea on build quality of each and every specific car including Innova, and get ready to be surprised.
Quote:
No blind faith. Rather:[list][*]Multiple TBHP Etios and Liva ownership reviews that say that despite the light feel of the cars there are minimal or no rattles after extended use.
Old 12th May 2015, 19:51   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I request to go through the accidents thread to get the clear idea on build quality of each and every specific car including Innova, and get ready to be surprised.
I am not sure what accidents (and especially photographs of them as opposed to technical analysis) has to do with build quality. Build quality to me means how well the vehicle is put together and how it holds up, i.e rattles, parts getting loose and falling off, etc.

A car that is properly designed for safety would be doing it's job if it completely crumpled as intended in an accident, but absorbed the energy from the impact and saved the occupants.

I think the role of build quality is for the car to age well, rather than to be indestructible in accidents.

This is going off topic again, so my last post on the topic.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 01:19   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Not sure, but I probably drove a petrol version...
Wasn't there any noise in the cabin while driving?? Any clue on the power delivery / hint of lag??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks