Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:04   #1321
BHPian

Re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Tata is doing the same mistake again with the Bolt. Unlike the Zest, it still resembles the Vista and of course the Indica from where it all started. They have to get rid of the egg silhouette of the original Indica design. Period.

They did the mistake of retaining the Indigo and Indica names on the Manza and Vista respectively and they suffered from a negative perception. The same will happen here with the Bolt. It just looks like a minor facelift from the outside.

Last edited by trek : 22nd August 2014 at 15:16.
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:12   #1322
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post

They have to get rid of the egg silhouette of the original Indica design. Period.
They are behaving in the similar way that Bajaj is going about "Pulsar". Same name for so long but at least there is done change in design in their bikes.

The Bolt looks too similar to Vista with changes to front end (head lamps + grille) and tail lights. They'll have to let go that design language and go afresh.

Anurag.
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:24   #1323
BHPian

Tata Bolt looks very much like the Vista.

Thats why its clever of them to release the Zest first, get the market buzz & customer faith back & then release Bolt in a few months to ride the Zest wave.

They will be able to overhaul the design completely only in 2016 or 2017 with the new platform that they are now building.
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:28   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Guys
With the Zest it was unique in the sense that it was the first compact sedan in the Vista platform. I feel its very difficult for the Bolt to look dramatically different from the Vista -- but I dont see an major issue with that. The front end looks sharper. The rear has that neatly tucked up look without the X-MAS tree lights. The BIG DIFFERENCE will be in the interiors which will be similar to the Zest and not that horrible central meter console arrangement of the Vista.

Also the Indigo/Indica prefix used with Manza/Vista was more from a cost saving perspective while registering the new vehicle with CMVR is what I read in another thread. Apparently car makers need to spend substantially more when they launch an all new vehicle. So some of them avoid that by showing these new launches as variants of earlier models. I dont have any further details but would be curious to know more from the experts.
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:39   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
With the Zest it was unique in the sense that it was the first compact sedan in the Vista platform. I feel its very difficult for the Bolt to look dramatically different from the Vista -- but I dont see an major issue with that. The front end looks sharper. The rear has that neatly tucked up look without the X-MAS tree lights. The BIG DIFFERENCE will be in the interiors which will be similar to the Zest and not that horrible central meter console arrangement of the Vista.

Also the Indigo/Indica prefix used with Manza/Vista was more from a cost saving perspective while registering the new vehicle with CMVR is what I read in another thread. Apparently car makers need to spend substantially more when they launch an all new vehicle. So some of them avoid that by showing these new launches as variants of earlier models. I dont have any further details but would be curious to know more from the experts.
Well if it is indeed true (though I seriously doubt it), it was a Penny-Wise Pound-Foolish act!

Also, this was a good opportunity for the new Vista / Bolt to have a larger boot. But retaining the same design did not allow that!
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:52   #1326
Senior - BHPian

As per Tata Motors, these models are only "stop gap" arrangements before the next gen platform is launched. Changing the boot volume would have involved remodelling the rear extensively.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:08   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Guys

Also the Indigo/Indica prefix used with Manza/Vista was more from a cost saving perspective while registering the new vehicle with CMVR is what I read in another thread.
This can not be the case. As practically all the specifications were different between these two generations of cars, and it requires new certification. Also hundereds of crores are spent in any new product development compared to a few thousands in certification. So No way that can be the reason

Last edited by Prafful_Rathod : 22nd August 2014 at 17:09. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:06   #1328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would be curious too.
If it is indeed true, I can't believe laws of our land are so lax. I mean there ought to be more tests for CMVR compliance than just reading off the name.

Apart from Indica - Indica Vista, Indigo - Indigo Manza other companies too have models with pretty similar names.
Zen - Zen Estillo
Alto - Alto 800
Swift - Swift Dzire
i10 - Grand i10
i20 - Elite i20

Did they also name their models to take advantage of this loophole or to take advantage of an already established brand name?
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:12   #1329
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Did they also name their models to take advantage of this loophole or to take advantage of an already established brand name?
I would say that they are taking the advantage of the brand name more than that rule which I haven't heard of.

If a new name is given altogether then it'll be needed to get embedded in the mind of the public but a slight carryover will get easy attention and that I feel has a slight downside too, which is, the newer model would get compared with the older model to assess the gains over the older model.

Anurag.
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:19   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Long ago I had saved this tweet from Karl Slym in which he (IMO) *indicated* what's probably the Bolt/Zest Diesel Automatic.

So, i guess the Bolt too will get a Diesel Automatic (AMT).

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-image.jpg

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd August 2014 at 21:23.
GrammarNazi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 20:48   #1331
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Launch of Bolt in January 2015 according to Motorbeam.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/tata-b...-january-2015/
Old 30th August 2014, 21:07   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Launch of Bolt in January 2015 according to Motorbeam.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/tata-b...-january-2015/

Hmmmm... I don't think the launch is in 2015. They already have the car. They already have the interiors. They already know whats going into the engine bay. And they have already done a lot of testing. Even in my recent drive through L&T road (Coimbatore), i saw two specimens being tested and they were largely uncovered. I can't think of a reason why they have to hold back. There is one theory coming to mind now. It can be because they want the sedan to establish well (which is easier) so that the hatchback can sell based on the sedan's popularity. But this is an unlikely scenario.

Lets wait and see. If the launch is in 2015, then they might kill it before it hatches. 2015 is more like a time when they should be introducing their new generation cars based on new platforms.
Old 4th September 2014, 23:18   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Hmmmm... I don't think the launch is in 2015.
From the various news reports and quotes from TML officials, The BOLT will be launched 6 months after Zest, which indicates a Jan 2015 launch for BOLT. The next new product is the Nexon small SUV which is slated for the festive season of 2015. The facelifted Nano will be launched after Bolt. Things could change based on market conditions though.
Old 5th September 2014, 09:54   #1334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Hmmmm... I don't think the launch is in 2015....
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
From the various news reports and quotes from TML officials, The BOLT will be launched 6 months after Zest, which indicates a Jan 2015 launch for BOLT...
There was one report which said, the launch time would depend on the Zest pre-sales reaction and bookings. If it is NOT great, then the Bolt will be launched earlier; else in the Q1 next year. From whatever I could gather, Zest is a hit and hence they might bring the Bolt later.

Also I hear heavy waiting periods on Zest AMT; so Bolt AMT also might come later.
Old 5th September 2014, 10:04   #1335
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to the SA at Pandit showroom on the phone yesterday for Zest XT Revotron. The current waiting period for Revotron is about 4-5 weeks, which is acceptable.

We actually spoke for few minutes and he was telling me that he is doing almost double duty (in his language), due to excess enquiries/TDs/bookings. Was saying that the showroom is always crowded and he is exhausted.

This all could also be a marketing gimmick , or he could genuinely be exhausted. But for sure, Zest is a hit ! And that means, Bolt will have to wait.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 5th September 2014 at 10:05.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks