Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 20:46   #1246
BHPian

re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Anyone from Bangalore who (pre-)booked a Zest at the showroom? If yes, please share the details/ formalities.

Needless to say, me & missus are hooked and are seriously looking at booking one.

Last edited by vinjosep : 27th July 2014 at 20:48.
Old 27th July 2014, 20:47   #1247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Ah man. Couldn't they have launched the Bolt along with the Zest too? I'm looking at my first car and it seems the Bolt won't be here till 2015. My budget is not enough for a top end B2 hatch. But if the Bolt was here, I would have found out a way to stretch it to get it in the top variant. After going through all the Zest reviews here, I don't feel like putting the money on anything else without waiting for the Bolt.

I'm guessing that the Bolt will have a slightly sportier handling compared to Zest like how Swift is, compared to DZire.

If they price the Bolt in a similar scale compared to rumoured Zest pricing of 15% less than competitors as mentioned above, then the Bolt should be around 5.3L ESP with OTR here around 6.4L for the top variant Revotron which would be a great buy IMO.
A lot of Hatchback buyers swing to Compact Sedan & vice versa depending the product that they like in the market at that time.

So I think Tata wanted to take all the learnings from Zest launch & use that for the Bolt launch to make sure it beats the hatches on the market.

Tata Zest doesnt have foldable rear seats, Bolt will have 60:40, start/stop switch, AMT Petrol, maybe rear vents, lot of things that are missing now on Zest will be seen there. I think that is the right strategy too considering this is a completely new era for Tata.
gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 21:02   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Tata Zest doesnt have foldable rear seats, Bolt will have 60:40, start/stop switch, AMT Petrol, maybe rear vents, lot of things that are missing now on Zest will be seen there. I think that is the right strategy too considering this is a completely new era for Tata.
Has the Bolt been confirmed to come with AMT petrol? If so that would be quite interesting.
Old 27th July 2014, 21:08   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyFunk View Post
Has the Bolt been confirmed to come with AMT petrol? If so that would be quite interesting.
Nothing is confirmed about Bolt, but these are the unofficial hints we hear from 'sources'.
Old 27th July 2014, 22:47   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Anyone from Bangalore who (pre-)booked a Zest at the showroom? If yes, please share the details/ formalities.

Needless to say, me & missus are hooked and are seriously looking at booking one.
https://bookonline.tatamotors.com/bo...247.1406481325

The link is at the bottom left corner of the tata zest website
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 10:56   #1251
BHPian

Well it looks like a great product to me and 3 yr warranty and 3 yr extended warranty do look lucrative. But am not taking a plunge if they dont cover electronics and electricals for this period, because I have faced repeated power window switch, power window motor and machinery and stereo failures in last four years of ownership and after about first two years Tata does not honour any claims even though I had extended warranty. As a matter of fact, my power window machinery has failed for second time in driver side window as I am typing this and looks like I need to shell out from my pocket again coz extended warranty does not cover anything that you can use eventually.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:04   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
https://bookonline.tatamotors.com/bo...247.1406481325

The link is at the bottom left corner of the tata zest website
Thanks Torquecurve.

However my query was w.r.t showroom/ in-person bookings. I will be in a position to advise better by today evening, i guess
Old 28th July 2014, 11:18   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the tiny boot and difficult loading area of the Zest,
Does anyone else here share the same opinion as mine, that the Tata Bolt Petrol would be a better buy than the Tata Zest Petrol? The engine capacity and power output is same in the petrol (unlike diesel versions though - Zest 90 HP and Bolt 75 HP). The added boot of the Zest doesn't make much of a value add in this case, since its not a big and practical boot anyways. Don't think a difference of 80-90k over the hatchback is justified in that case.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:30   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Does anyone else here share the same opinion as mine, that the Tata Bolt Petrol would be a better buy than the Tata Zest Petrol? The engine capacity and power output is same in the petrol (unlike diesel versions though - Zest 90 HP and Bolt 75 HP). The added boot of the Zest doesn't make much of a value add in this case, since its not a big and practical boot anyways. Don't think a difference of 80-90k over the hatchback is justified in that case.
I agree Tata Bolt Petrol will be a fantastic buy, it will weigh 100+ kgs lesser so the drive will have that much zing. The boot will be MORE useful as you also fold the rear seats 60:40 unlike on the Zest.

But Bolt is nearly 6 months away, so I have booked the Zest Petrol. Will look at the Bolt AMT petrol to replace my wife's drive next year.
Old 28th July 2014, 12:03   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For most of the non-petrolhead people, Zest\Dzire\Xcent\Amaze is a Sedan and that itself is a value addition.

The boot capacity of Vista is 232 ltr and that of Zest is 390 ltr (158 ltr diff), while the boot capacity of current gen Swift is 204 ltr and that of Dzire is 315 ltr(111 ltr diff) and the boot capacity of Grand i10 is 256 ltr and that of Xcent is 407 ltr (diff of 151 ltr).

Now, by your own logic, i10 grand would have been a better buy but which one did you end up with (I know the price difference between i10 grand and Xcent may not be 70-80 K, but we do not have any concrete info that the price difference between Zest and Blot will be 70-80K too). Car buying decisions are not always based on logic. Well, if it was always based on logic, I would never have ended up with a Punto Diesel

So, there is your answer - if every one is doing it and market is accepting it, why can't Tata?

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 28th July 2014 at 12:05.
theexperthand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 13:12   #1256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
...I'm guessing that the Bolt will have a slightly sportier handling compared to Zest like how Swift is, compared to DZire...
Handling would depend on the suspension set up and NOT the presence of a boot (or lack of it). Dzire's suspension is set up softer than Swift and hence the difference. Unless TATA also goes with this funda (of tuning the setup for rear passengers), we are NOT sure Bolt would be a better handler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
...Tata Zest doesnt have foldable rear seats, Bolt will have 60:40, start/stop switch, AMT Petrol, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyFunk View Post
If what I am told (by the trainer) is authentic, we need NOT expect AMT with this generation Revotron.

Quote:
...Does anyone else here share the same opinion as mine, that the Tata Bolt Petrol would be a better buy than the Tata Zest Petrol? ...
If you do NOT need the extra boot space or the "status" associated with the boot, Bolt will make more sense.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:17   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Handling would depend on the suspension set up and NOT the presence of a boot (or lack of it). Dzire's suspension is set up softer than Swift and hence the difference. Unless TATA also goes with this funda (of tuning the setup for rear passengers), we are NOT sure Bolt would be a better handler.
right . I agree.

Quote:
If what I am told (by the trainer) is authentic, we need NOT expect AMT with this generation Revotron.
Is it not the otherway, i mean the next gen AMT with the revotron and not expect the existing AMT with the revotron??? pardon me if i am wrong here.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:58   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Now, by your own logic, i10 grand would have been a better buy but which one did you end up with (I know the price difference between i10 grand and Xcent may not be 70-80 K, but we do not have any concrete info that the price difference between Zest and Blot will be 70-80K too). Car buying decisions are not always based on logic. Well, if it was always based on logic, I would never have ended up with a Punto Diesel

Quote:
If you do NOT need the extra boot space or the "status" associated with the boot, Bolt will make more sense.
The question between a hatchback and the corresponding compact sedan - in my view boils down to the boot space and the aerodynamics of the car.

A CS (Compact sedan) to have any incremental value over the hatchback sibling *needs* to have a substantially larger and *practical* boot - in order to justify the price difference.

This is where cars like Xcent and Amaze excel. And being more aerodynamic in shape, they supposedly offer better driving dynamics (including ride quality) and lesser drag coefficient than the hatchback siblings.

Now same can't be said about the DZire and Zest. There is no substantial gain on the boot space, and also the loading area is impractical for most purposes. To make it worse for DZire, it looks ugly as well. So the apparent advantages of a CS over the hatchback are somewhat diluted in CS'es like Zest and DZire. The only factor now is the "status symbol" -which for me personally is not an important criteria.

Hence my analysis on the Bolt being a more sensible buy in the petrol avatar when compared to the Zest.
Old 28th July 2014, 14:01   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah. That's what I meant when I made that statement I assumed that Tata too would make the suspension softer on the Zest(like Maruti) since it is a 'Sedan' and that they may make it a bit harder on the Bolt since it looks like they are kinda trying to project the Bolt like a sports car with sporty interiors etc.
Old 28th July 2014, 14:06   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is no substantial gain on the boot space,
Would like to counter this argument, bro:

The boot gains are:

Dzire over Swift:111 ltrs
Zest over Vista: 158 ltrs
Xcent over Grand i10: 151 ltrs

So, Zest have better gain on boot space than Xcent. Now the question about practicality\usability of this boot space space is another topic though (which I hope, will be answered when the official TeamBhp review is out).

About Aerodynamic efficiency of Zest, pardon me, but can you kindly point me to a place where the aerodynamic efficiency of Vista and Zest is compared? (This is a genuine question since I could not find anything after googling).

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 28th July 2014 at 14:10.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed