Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 10:20   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
1. Does the ECU not do anything here ? How can they advertise it with so much confidence ? Source of this info ?
My source of this info is the Autocar Video, as I had mentioned in my last post.

Nitpicking? Absolutely not. It was rather a genuine concern. The armrest might be uncomfortable for the 5th passenger, but when there are 4 on-board, it really makes long distances more comfortable. I have seen many of my friends going for Amaze over Brio who like to be chauffeur driven. It might not be an absolute necessity for many, but there are some people who prefer backseat comfort and this adds to it. And a company can't wash its hands off saying that we are giving you tonnes of features, so they get a licence to skimp on basic features. No offence intended, it was purely my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
The middle rear seat foldable armrest is not at all comfortable for the passenger sitting in the middle especially on long drives as its harder & the grooves make themselves felt with time, I have it on my Aveo.

I feel a proper backrest is better.

Yes I completely agree, it makes 5th uncomfortable, but you would probably agree than it makes the two rear seat passengers really comfortable when here are only four people in the car.

Mod Note: Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th July 2014 at 10:44.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 10:35   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post

2.In the following snap you get to see the AMT in Zest. While driving in A (Auto) mode, you can press on S (Sport) to get additional power.
Attachment 1261815
I don't think there is any "additional" power available by pressing the S. Its just to move the shift rpm higher, i.e. gears are held longer. That can also be done manually in the tiptronic mode. No different tune maps for ECU on the Diesel. There's only one state of tune.

Of course, it will be much clearer when the Official report comes out!
asivan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 11:16   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asivan View Post
I don't think there is any "additional" power available by pressing the S. Its just to move the shift rpm higher, i.e. gears are held longer.
You are totally correct sir. However, I believe that damager21 was just trying to tell the benefit of that S button, while you explained how that benefit is achieved. You both are right, as the engine revvs in a higher range, it churns out more power, thats the motive to hold on to the same gear for longer. Isn't it?
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 11:41   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
May i ask how do you know that there is traction control in the ECU? Have they advertised it any where?

Thats what the OD reviewer wrote. If it does have that (open or closed loop) it still will be a segment first AFAIK.

Overall the OD review was 'crap'. So anyways, moving on, eagerly awaiting the 'Official' Review.
Old 15th July 2014, 11:51   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I would want TATA to price this slightly lower
Yes, I do agree on this point. Tata must price this competitively to regain its market share as well as customer confidence. Only a better price that its rivals will attract prospective customers to the showroom.

For example, just today I suggested Zest Diesel AMT to my colleague who sought my opinion about what car to buy. He stated that he was inclined to buy Desire because "its commonly seen and therefore must be more reliable", which is something what most non-enthusiasts do in our country.

OT: Once again, want to read the review here asap
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 12:30   #1011
BHPian

Do we know when the teambhp review would be out are we just waiting for it?
Old 15th July 2014, 13:09   #1012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I suggested Zest Diesel AMT to my colleague who sought my opinion about what car to buy. He stated that he was inclined to buy Desire because "its commonly seen and therefore must be more reliable", which is something what most non-enthusiasts do in our country.

OT: Once again, want to read the review here asap
That is true. Most of the Indian population look at cars at merely a means of transport. For me, it is an extension of my personality and body. Though Mass mentality for the D'zire in this case is justified as it has taken the test of time and proved itself as a reliable workhorse backed by hassle free service and that is the only reason that the Zest may have a tough time competing with it at the counters. Though it is a bit early to comment, but after the mammoth effort of producing the Indica (not talking about the problems it had), long time after, TML has come up with a product with a whole hearted effort. I hope the car gets its deserving treatment at the hands of the market without any prejudice or pre-conceived notions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
Do we know when the teambhp review would be out. We just waiting for it?
I think that this has to be one of the most eagerly awaited reviews in the history of TBHP.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 13:34   #1013
BHPian

Meanwhile while picking my Manza back from service last Sunday from Concorde worli, i was shocked to see no Jaguars and L R s being parked there any more. On inquiring further i came to know that the JLR service is now shifted to Vikhroli. On further probing my S A on whether this to liberate more space so as to handle the additional load of the BOLT and the ZEST he replied may be yes but we don't have any official information on it . He further added that for handling the ZEST and the BOLT they do require more space as the existing premises were always chock a bloc with current cars.
So this assumption from me made sense to him as well.

He also mentioned that the training schedule of the Bolt and the Zest has just come and that 2 S As will soon be sent to Pune for training on them
Old 15th July 2014, 15:50   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
1. Does the ECU not do anything here ? How can they advertise it with so much confidence ? Source of this info ?
To this basic package are added clever electronics with the ECU being tweaked with enough algorithms to help deliver three operating modes – the standard being the incongruously termed ‘City’ mode which can give decent low down thrust and a meaty mid-range to keep up with sharp bursts whenever called for yet have a linear forward progression without in any way running out of breath, even on the highways!

The second mode is termed Eco, which softens the power delivery and helps deliver low down torque without letting the engine rpm soar, thus sipping instead of guzzling gasoline. This should delight many provided they are tuned into making the effort to switch on the Eco mode by dabbing the activation button on the central console.

And since it is Narain Karthikeyan who has been pushing the three-engines-in-one Revotron promotion there has had to be a Sport mode, allowing the revs to soar quickly and give a sense of urgency for quick forward progression. Bosch has supplied the ECU that packs in the multiple ignition and fuelling maps for these three modes to perform as intended and it is this triple prowess that sums up the three totally different operating characteristics from one single unit.

Source : Adil Jal Darukhanawala
http://zeenews.india.com/business/au...ed_103862.html
Old 15th July 2014, 16:59   #1015
BHPian

Specifications of the variants stated suggest that AMT and airbags would not be available together ?

Basics with safety should be offered if probable customers should not be excluded due to restrictions in features offered.

About time the combination should have the main selling points as a combination - AMT, AC, PS, ABS, EBD, Airbags and an acceptable music system.

No sense listening to a sophisticated advanced sound system if there is no acceptable safety in the first place.
Old 15th July 2014, 17:34   #1016
BHPian

While the general verdict from most sources seems to be that Tata has a winner on their hands with the Zest, sales will only result if the product is niggle free from day one. Most people will go for reliability rather than flamboyance and that is where Tata will have to prove themselves.
They seem to be doing everything right so far and have generated a lot of positive buzz. I hope Zest owners from the very first lot end up satisfied with their purchase.
Eagerly waiting for the TEAM-BHP review.
Old 15th July 2014, 17:43   #1017
BHPian

Having followed Top Gear for many years, I find them usually very direct & honest in their reviews. They are not easy to impress & they HAVE been by the Zest. This by itself is a great beginning.

http://www.topgear.com/india/tata/re...zest/itemid-86
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 17:45   #1018
Senior - BHPian

I would like to see the price of Zest Diesel + Manual + ABS+ 2 Airbags. I don't need ACC, HK music and other features like steering mounted controls etc!

Do they have a variant like this?

Last edited by Latheesh : 15th July 2014 at 18:09.
Old 15th July 2014, 19:52   #1019
Senior - BHPian

I'm GLAD even the Diesel AMT will get a Sport mode. Need to know if its shift on fly type, (i.e. can I press the 'S' button anytime and shift to Sport mode?)

IMO switchable maps is a key function here. During the TATA Ideator meet, I'd asked Mr.Slym for a Sport edition Manza, with the ECU tuned with various maps. Wish come true! Super!

A large manufacturer seems to has made a great effort using all its resources, hope people make full use of this & enjoy the benefits. Anyway.

Rgds

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 15th July 2014 at 20:01.
Old 15th July 2014, 20:11   #1020
BHPian

Caught up in traffic and thinking if the eco mode will help conserve fuel when crawling at less than 10 kmph. And once the road opens up swap to city mode for that low end torque that everyone is talking about.

Just then realisation hits, driving a petrol powered Tata but don't have those modes!

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks