Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2014, 11:01   #961
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Motoroids review is active except for page 2. Interesting review of the 1.2 Revtron engine.Waiting for GTOs take on the engine. Also the suspension and steering of the car seem a little questionable (based on what the review says). Might not be an enthusiasts car but all in all it looks like Tata has created a well crafted family car tuned towards city driving and bumper to bumper traffic
Old 14th July 2014, 11:40   #962
BHPian

What is the logic behind no AMT in petrol variant ?
Old 14th July 2014, 12:05   #963
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
What is the logic behind no AMT in petrol variant ?
It's probably because the petrol car's gearbox is a Tata unit, and it will take some more time for Tata and Magneti Marelli to put together and fine tune an AMT kit for the gearbox.

In contrast, the diesel car comes with a Fiat gearbox (& of course engine), so Fiat's subsidiary Magneti Marelli would have already had an AMT kit ready for their parent company's gearbox.

Last edited by RSR : 14th July 2014 at 12:07.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 12:17   #964
BHPian

OD review is up online
http://overdrive.in/reviews/2014-tat...dia-road-test/
avingodb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 12:27   #965
Senior - BHPian

In the era of great designs, Tata's Manza, Aria and Indica were not head turners. Especially the Manza. It miserably failed due to the good looks which it missed.
However, Their Blot and Zest are now could become hot cakes through they are not close to Verna or Fiesta in terms of design.

I personally feel they need better feedback on designs at the early stages.

The next issue is the service network, which needs more care too.
Old 14th July 2014, 12:32   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Petrol
XB - Base, with Revotron bagde
XM - Mid, with Revotron bagde
XT - Top, with Revotron bagde

Diesel
XB - Base, with Quadrajet badge
XM - Mid, with Quadrajet badge
XMA - Mid AMT, with F-Tronic badge
XT - Top, with Quadrajet badge
XTA - Top AMT, with F-Tronic badge
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Both photos are confusing, I know i may be reading in too early but I'm keenly awaiting a top end zest diesel with AMT.. Patiently waiting for TBHP review.
damager21 already shared the trim level details. Looks like AMT will be available with 2 variants of Zest diesel, the mid level: XMA; and the top end: XTA.

On a totally unrelated note: Just went through OverDrive's review and I didn't like it. Some pieces I am quoting here :

1. Quote: What I do find a bit odd are the proportions of this car. First off Tata Motors have built a car within 4-metres in length, 3995mm to be precise. While Honda, Hyundai and even Maruti to some extent have managed to give their sedans of likewise dimensions a more proportionate look front to rear, Tata Motors has not figured out this bit entirely yet.
My take: Zest look much better than others in the CS segment. It is Zest>Xcent>Dzire>Amaze.

2. Quote: Tata Motors likes to claim that this is the first turbocharged engine in the segment, but let me refine that fact, the technology isn’t new to India. Ford has the 1.0-litre Ecoboost and Volkswagen the 1.2-litre TSI, both turbocharged fuel injected engines though to be fair to the Zest neither of the cars these engines power belong in this segment.
My take: I am sure the emotion is that the Revotron is first Indian turbocharged Fuel Injected 1.2L petrol engine.

3. Quote: Ironically just as we went to drive this car, petrol prices were hiked by another rupee and some sixty paise per litre. For the domestic market this engine then may not seem to be a very positive step for Tata Motors but their interests this time around have global repercussions. The petrol engine is intended to capture attention in European and Asian markets where petrol is still a popular choice of fuel.
My take: The writer doesn't seem to know the inclination towards Petrol driven cars against Diesel ones that the buyers has shown in last one year? The lesser difference between the two fuel types is the reason behind this.

4. Quote: This is the same Quadrajet engine that is sourced from Fiat and tuned by Tata Motors. You get 90PS of max power at 4000rpm and 200Nm of max torque between 1750 and 3000rpm. It’s a torquey engine but certainly not as quick as the petrol or for that matter it does not feel as alive or energetic. That’s not to say this engine is a dud, you can get decent performance out of it, but both the Amaze and the Xcent for instance feel a bit more spirited.
My take: How on Earth, the Xcent's 1.1L CRDi could feel more spirited than Zest's VGT equipped QJD? Of course I haven't driven the Zest, but it is the same engine that powers a heavier Linea, which feels adequately powered and even faster than the new Fiesta (1.5 TDCi).

Apart from these instances, the overall feel, the language of the write-up feels a little against the product. I do not expect anybody else to come up with the quality equivalent to Team-BHP but still, for example, the engine's photo in the review says it is a QJD unit, while all the writer is talking about is only the new Revotron at that point in the review.

Please see that these are totally my personal opinions, I do not intend to have any feeling, -ve or +ve for the review or the people behind it. If somebody finds my comments as total rubbish, they are free to say so, with a decent choice of words though

Mods: If something looks to be not right in what I have said, please feel free to edit the part or even remove the whole comment.

Last edited by itsashishsharma : 14th July 2014 at 13:00. Reason: Had something else to write, did not want to write back to back posts.
itsashishsharma is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 12:35   #967
Senior - BHPian

Tata Zest, Exteriors reviewed in pictures

http://auto.ndtv.com/photos/tata-zes...from=home-auto
Old 14th July 2014, 12:45   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

The reviews of Zest are positive. Looks like Tata engineers have finally dumped their old philosophies and delivered a product which can be benchmarked to the global standards offered by the competition in the segment. I like the front design more than the rear, though there is a hint of the Indica in it.
Eagerly waiting for TBHP review. No one captures the subtle details as good as TBHP.

According to someone I know in TML, the Bolt is slated to be launched after a month of Zest's launch. My best wishes to TML...they do seem to be out with a full hearted effort this time.
Old 14th July 2014, 12:54   #969
BHPian

Overdrive road test

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2014-tat...dia-road-test/

Autocar

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-389208,0.aspx

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 14th July 2014 at 12:56.
Old 14th July 2014, 13:05   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
The embargo is till 2pm today, and seems zigwheels jumped the gun. The article is now offline (while i was reading halfway).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
It seems the review has been taken down. This link is taking me to zigwheels homepage!
The link is working for me.
From the various tweets, I expected a very positive review.
A tad disappointed, when they summarized the Zest as 'one of the better Tata cars'.
Old 14th July 2014, 13:28   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
damager21 already shared the trim level details. Looks like AMT will be available with 2 variants of Zest diesel, the mid level: XMA; and the top end: XTA.

Please see that these are totally my personal opinions, I do not intend to have any feeling, -ve or +ve for the review or the people behind it. If somebody finds my comments as total rubbish, they are free to say so, with a decent choice of words though

Mods: If something looks to be not right in what I have said, please feel free to edit the part or even remove the whole comment.
Add to that - 'The same transmission is used with the petrol engine though the ratios are closer than in the diesel ' Same transmission! This GB is different from the diesel.

One more - 'Where fuel efficiency is concerned the turbo petrol returned 21.4kmpl on the highway and 15.1 kmpl in city driving conditions which is neither too impressive nor too disappointing.' Petrol with 21.4 Kmpl! (Arm and leg for this - better than Alto?

And another one - ' However the petrol isn’t too quick either since soon as you dump the clutch and floor the throttle there is an onboard traction control system that cuts the fuel to prevent wheelspin and you get a small jerk before the engine fires back up again and starts accelerating '
Instead of appreciating the traction control (please remind me which cars in this segment or one plus have this feature).

The review is as if it is a fault finding mission. Truth be told, people reading this will take it on face value. :(
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 13:41   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post

On a totally unrelated note: Just went through OverDrive's review and I didn't like it.
+1

I just went through the entire review and the tone is negative and patronizing towards TATA. The Motoroids review (though full of spelling/grammar errors) and the Autocar one are much better.
Old 14th July 2014, 13:55   #973
BHPian

Went through all the reviews and they're all conflicting in certain areas. One website mentions the turbo kicking in at 1700 rpm, one at 1200 and one at even 1000! which one is it? Lots of other small details are differing. But one thing which is pretty common is that the car is very good.

Eagerly awaiting the most comprehensive analysis AKA the Team BHP report on the car.
Old 14th July 2014, 14:06   #974
BHPian

Indianautosblog review for the Zest Diesel AMT F-Tronic is also out.
http://indianautosblog.com/2014/07/t...-review-136916
Old 14th July 2014, 14:09   #975
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive review looks completely biased against Tata. Motoroids is a good balanced one. Auto car review ain't opening somehow.
I don't care for all these reviews. I will take the verdict which t-bhp official review will give.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks