Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 10:03   #901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
Nobody makes a bad car. But the life-cycle cost, the warranty effectiveness, the fuel economy - these are numbers which people crunch in their minds and then, at that juncture, fancy photographs from media who is there because of fine food and raiment is not really going to do it.
Once a friend of mine said that the ones who say Fiat cars are no good are the ones who never owned one. Is that the case with you, that you never owned a Tata?
I have no experience with Tata A.S.S. but on this very forum, I have seen comments from real Tata owner about good/professional approach in providing services to existing owners. Yes, it is not as good as Maruti's or Hyundai's but it is not as bad as Skoda's either, they are not looting customers or anything. Life cycle cost, believe me, should be lower than most (in my opinion, lowest), as there spare parts are cheaper and cars like Vista are fairly built so that customers only visit service centre for scheduled services.
That said, on this thread, there have been comments indicating Tata's intentions to make things better. They are readying showrooms for Bolt and Zest, I am sure that things are going to get better, and if this duo clicks and gets good initial numbers, A.S.S. can improve really dramaticaly.
itsashishsharma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 10:37   #902
Senior - BHPian

re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post

Here is the interior pic from twitter.
Thank you groom for sharing the same.

From the pic:

- Steering looks meaty and quite classy. Something says it resembles Hyundai (I-gen I20 & Verna) steering, but I am no complaining.

- Interiors really look Stunning and built to last a long time. TATA.

- The media screen looks substantially large, unlike 3.5 inches (?) reported somewhere earlier on this thread.

- I can also see tweeters (probably) on the dash. Could be some real good sound quality on this, which will only enhance its appeal.

OT - Whether we hate TATA or love it, we Indians must be really proud of them for their attempt at a World class product. It may not match the Germans right now, but we can bet our bottom buck, TATA Will Get there Soon.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 10th July 2014 at 10:39.
Vik0728 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 14:11   #903
BANNED

In response to itashishsharma - I have owned and operated 2 Tata Indicas, both in Pune, from 2002 till 2009. I was also instrumental in getting friends in Delhi to buy the Indigo and Manza. Please read my comment carefully - I have specifically said major urban markets like Mumbai and Delhi.

Technology, appearances, interiors and brand name are so much hype. Reality is after-sales service and resale value.
Old 10th July 2014, 15:09   #904
Distinguished - BHPian

ZestDrive short video officially released by Tata Motors:

Also, confirmation of the Zest launch, which will be in August 2014, as per IAB.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th July 2014 at 15:11.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 17:48   #905
BHPian

With embargoes in place and very little info being revealed, here is what someone tweeted following the Zest Drive

Quote:
Impressive audio, responsive engine, great features, balanced dynamics. Seems to be a winner!
Quote:
HMI on the Zest is a manifestation of tech excellence India can offer to the world. Top notch!
Waiting for Monday !!!

Seen representatives from so many auto magazines, auto forums, auto websites being invited, hope T-BHP was represented as well.

Some more info trickling in...

Quote:
The new Zest will bring not just elevated levels of quality and equipment, but also debut two new drivelines – including one which every manufacturer has shied from introducing – an affordable diesel automatic.

The original article seems to be offline, given the embargoes in place.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...uced-to-india/

Last edited by sachinayak : 10th July 2014 at 17:54.
sachinayak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 18:48   #906
BANNED

The cream + grey dashboard will not work for many, in my opinion, it is just not geared up for families with little children who will smear the dash and also on aesthetics. I would take a small bet that it will go in 3-6 months and be replaced by basic grey or grey and some wood finish.

The steering lock with ignition key in steering column is another safety issue, better replaced with an engine immobiliser and push-button start instead, and soon.

Seats look OK but will need to sit on them to see if they are as comfortable as that in the older Indica/Indigo in the rear because they look like they've been sent down, sunk, a wee bit. Height above road, nobody has mentioned, for the top of the rear seat.

Dashboard controls and cockpit control layout appears to be standard and those huge HVAC vents in front remind me of old American cars which were 2-3 times the size here.

I would still like this car to have an ex-showroom price Delhi of 4.5 to 6.0 lakhs with equal pricing for both petrol and diesel versions. Anything above that, and it is going to be a tough sell.

Ofcourse, the real customer would like to do an inspection of the workshop and after-sales facilities first. That does not appear to be forthcoming.
Old 10th July 2014, 18:53   #907
Senior - BHPian

Did everyone already know this? I just noticed the projector lamp on the Zest also has led corona rings type illumination. That's cool.

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-tatazestmediadriveimageprojectorheadlamp1024x677.jpg

** source: http://indianautosblog.com/2014/07/t...ector-headlamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
The steering lock with ignition key in steering column is another safety issue, better replaced with an engine immobiliser and push-button start instead, and soon.
Hi, could you explain this/expand on this please? I've been driving such a car (with engine immobiliser) and would like to know what safety issue i've missed addressing.

Last edited by k_ajay : 10th July 2014 at 19:08. Reason: Adding a response to post #908.
k_ajay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 19:34   #908
BANNED

Steering locks as anti-theft devices are rapidly being re-examined by regulatory authorities, insurance companies as well as manufacturers. The complete integrity of steering locks depends on the movement of a small bar through a travel of a few millimetres. It is as simple as that, given Indian road and maintenance conditions.

Please check with experienced rally drivers - they file off the little bar that moves inside the steering column, sometimes both the lock stopper and the lock bar. I have had a steering lock "jam" up on me once and dont want to buy a car with a steering lock again as a safety aspect.

All this talk about JLR - do Jaguar or Landrover have steering locks?
Old 10th July 2014, 19:40   #909
BHPian

Hormazd just tweeted that he's pleasantly surprised after driving the zest and it should put tata back in the game!

https://twitter.com/hormazdsorabjee/...28797314293760
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 19:52   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
All the tweets and pics and Tbhp'ians inputs are clearly indicating the Bolt/Zest is a boost for the sluggish Tatas #s over the last 3-4 years. Just pray they dont misread this thread and price it super-stupid like the Aria!

Exactly my worry. For the nth time i have admired and agonized on looking at the Aria. . The crossover indicated to a bright future, but sadly failed monumentally.
Old 10th July 2014, 20:16   #911

Just read a tweet
Looks like all auto companies have decided to sideline Team BHP , way to go guys #ZestDrive .
Old 10th July 2014, 21:15   #912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSTR View Post
Just read a tweet
Looks like all auto companies have decided to sideline Team BHP , way to go guys #ZestDrive .
errr, I would like to correct you on this one.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 21:19   #913

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
errr, I would like to correct you on this one.
Please please please do. I was so hopeful that the tweet was wrong
Old 10th July 2014, 21:28   #914
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSTR View Post
Please please please do. I was so hopeful that the tweet was wrong
Can you give the link of the tweet?
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 21:44   #915

Quote: