Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2014, 19:58   #721
BHPian

re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Hee hee, I remember smiling to myself when I read about 'hill hold' on the eV2.It is actually a very common capability among ECU controlled diesel's, given a fancy new avatar by the marketing guys.

The fuel available to the engine when accelerator is not pressed (idling) is increased when the engine cannot sustain idling (say for e.g. On an incline, first gear climb) So using this, a driver doesn't needs to press the accelerator for an uphill stop-go situation.He can control the crawl using the clutch and brake.

Someone told me once that age old Direct injection Mahindra jeeps could do the same,uphill.

Actual hillhold, comes on automatics, where the torque converter is given just enough juice to keep the vehicle still. If we want to do the same on an AMT, the computer would have to slip the clutch, which would take a lot more accurate sensing of the clutch position and faster clutch wear.
Diesel engine fuel injection systems must have mechanical governors or speed control algorithms to control engine speed at various engine speeds and loads. So if the throttle pedal is not pressed but the engine speed reduces, the fuel injection system supplies more fuel to increase engine speed. Using this engine behaviour along with the clutch to start off could be termed as hill start assistance or anti-stall feature.

Incidentally, the mechanical governor causes the unsteady idling in older buses and trucks.

This speed control is not possible in petrol engines without electronic throttle control (drive by wire) as ECU does not have a means to control engine speed.
Old 8th June 2014, 20:00   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post

Only question left is, Diesel (Fiat 1.3 MJD 90HP?) or Revotron?
Revotron are their petrol engines.
Old 9th June 2014, 02:43   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanjohn View Post
Yes it is. That's for Harman to test their music system settings.
Thanks for confirming. I was shocked at first but explains the reason for the car finding it's way to PTP's basement. Think Harman's office is in the Jupiter block which shares a common basement with Oracle's :-)
Old 9th June 2014, 10:21   #724
Senior - BHPian

Rushlane have uploaded fresh set of pics of the Zest AMT in Lavasa, courtesy one of their readers Mayur Kulkarni. Here is the link to the same:

http://www.rushlane.com/tata-zest-di...-12121090.html

However, what is important are Mayur's observations:

Quote:
He added that the “Zest in the images here was a diesel AMT variant. The gear shifts were easily noticeable, but there was hardly any engine noise. The engine sound is not similar to Indica or Indigo diesel. This one is very low. I followed the Zest in my Maruti Swift VDi, but was not able to keep up, especially on the steep roads. The Zest looked more stylish than the Honda Amaze on the road.”
CARDEEP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 10:42   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of the days, I walk by the side of VST motors (TATA showroom) on mount road in Chennai and for the last one week, there is some work going on in the showroom and it's completely covered. I had read about the renovation that the dealerships are going thru (to welcome Zest & Bolt) and it might be the same with VST as well.

Let me see by when will they finish and possible some pics of the new looks might follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post
...Can anyone educate me why Tata is camouflaging Zest & Bolt. AFAIK they have already been unveiled in February.

Is it mandatory for manufacturers to camouflage their vehicles for testing in India?...
These might be cars which started testing even before the unveil. Or there could be some design that might be different from the ones shown.

I do NOT think it's a mandate to camouflage any cars in India.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 10:56   #726
BANNED

Not sure if any body else noticed or not but i think launch is very near. Yesterday Saw a AD on colors for ZEST .
Old 9th June 2014, 11:36   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I believe him when he says it was an AMT, as he got to see himself the gear stick, but I must doubt it to be a diesel. Is it just because of the rumors that Tata was only offering the AMT with the diesel? If the car was too fast to be followed by a Swift diesel, why can't it be a petrol, the turboe'd revotron?
Old 9th June 2014, 11:50   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Just saw the Tata Zest on Overdrive - Matt Grey edition. Absolutely smoking hot. I would happily pay 9 lakhs for the top end edition of this beauty.

Only question left is, Diesel (Fiat 1.3 MJD 90HP?) or Petrol - Revotron?
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Revotron are their petrol engines.
Revotron is a newly developed turbo charged petrol engine from TATA. So, reliability can't be promised. Please do extensive research, before going Revotron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I believe him when he says it was an AMT, as he got to see himself the gear stick, but I must doubt it to be a diesel. Is it just because of the rumors that Tata was only offering the AMT with the diesel? If the car was too fast to be followed by a Swift diesel, why can't it be a petrol, the turboe'd revotron?
As per rush lane reader, the car was too fast to be followed !!. The diesel is a 1.3 MJD and VGT tuned to provide 90 HP, and i don't think there will any change in driving dynamics with AMT(Experts throw some light). Not able to believe, that SWIFT could not follow the ZEST on uphill !!.
Atif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:50   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Most of the days, I walk by the side of VST motors (TATA showroom) on mount road in Chennai and for the last one week, there is some work going on in the showroom and it's completely covered. I had read about the renovation that the dealerships are going thru (to welcome Zest & Bolt) and it might be the same with VST as well.

Let me see by when will they finish and possible some pics of the new looks might follow.
Hello swiftnfurious,

Yeah Tata motors seems to be busy renovating all their showrooms before the arrival of Zest & Bolt. Even their Mysore facility is also under renovation.

I was told by the customer relations officer (Urs Kar Service Centre, Mysore), that Tata is taking care of the renovation by providing similar looking furniture to all their showrooms.

They are trying to make all their facilities to look identical throughout India. Even he mentioned that Tata is paying 60%- 70% of the total cost of renovation. Seems they are moving in the right direction.

I wish both Zest & Bolt win.

Regards.
KING DYSP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 12:34   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Revotron is a newly developed turbo charged petrol engine from TATA. So, reliability can't be promised.
What is the basis of your statement? Let us not make baseless statements for a product which is not even released yet.

Let all the reviews come, let actual owners drive the vehicles and then make such comments.

Cheers !
ajay_satpute is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 12:54   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
What is the basis of your statement?
I own a TATA product (VISTA), and apart from engine (Fiat), everything else fells apart. The cars goes for service, every 1.5 month with hefty bills. No offense to Tata products though, its just my experience with TATA'S exceptional A.S.S . I am apprehensive about any new product from TATA stable, and will be proved wrong, if Revotron comes good.
Atif is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 13:24   #732
Senior - BHPian

Yes all showrooms or rather major ones are undergoing renovation. In fact Prerana Motors have just shifted their base in Lalbagh road to a more swankier location down the same road, its quite big and looks more modern with a huge LCD screen play Tata Motors video as well as nice and comfortable chairs. Another news is that all sales duds like Manza, Vista might be phased out. They are really banking heavily on these two cars and I do hope they succeed being a Tata loyal but sadly I am moving away from Tata and will not be back soon.
motomaverick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 13:28   #733
BHPian

TATA developing a new car code named Kite under the MY15 program to take on Celario and Figo. Kite would be a tall boy design, the second in the stable after Nano. It would come with a sub 1000cc engine and will be build in Sanand plant, which has a installed capacity of 250,000 cars a year. The product will be ready to launch in 2015.
prmd_cochin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 08:35   #734
Senior - BHPian

IAB has published a picture of the camoufalged Zest being tested on Mumbai roads during night time. This shot clearly shows the tail lamps of the Zest. The LED tail lamps are just so gorgeous.

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-iabspytatazesttaillight.jpg
Old 10th June 2014, 10:16   #735
BHPian

The Zest is a beautiful vehicle, and I am sure it will mark the begining of new era for Tata motors. Excellent job done by Tata motors on the twins .

Any news on when the bookings start, and exact launch date. I am looking for an upgarde from vista, and zest looks like the perfect option.
Atif is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed