Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2006, 09:17   #61

Gentlmen,

This is my first post. I have been reading the threads on the website for some thime. This is really very useful for an unaware technologically challened prospective buyer like me!! I will like to Thank you all for sharing your valuabale thoughts on this.

Now my problem...I had almost decided on buying the Dicor Ex Model till I read this thread. It seems that the new generation of Safari will be a lot Sophisticated and more expensive Isn't it?. So does that mean that I hold on my decision to buy Safari for the moment or doyou think that the current version is worth the price?
Old 7th July 2006, 10:19   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal M
So does that mean that I hold on my decision to buy Safari for the moment or doyou think that the current version is worth the price?
If you decide to hold on, it should be because of the new technology that is in the offing, not for price.

They have currently reduced prices and its a good deal at the price if you are willing to live with the niggles that are the trademark of TATA vehicles...other than these niggles, its a good buy.

Also, I don't think the new 2.2 will be launched at a very high price - they would DEFINITELY keep it below Endeavour & Tucson levels for the high end model, perhaps they would launch at the earlier price for the DICOR (price before recent slash)
Old 7th July 2006, 11:46   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
If you decide to hold on, it should be because of the new technology that is in the offing, not for price.
Vishal, it's like you either be a pioneer and be ready to face any teething problems a new vehicle will have. Remember these are Indian vehicles.

Or, you go for a stabilized product where the major problems have been ironed out. But you would need to wait before you can buy such a product.
Old 8th July 2006, 00:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

Whatever it may be i am waiting for the X2 platfrom Safari.

Saw this Vtec Safari some time back.

Also i find the current Scorpio better looking then the Current Safari, the Safari is tending to show its age of a real old design.

Old 8th July 2006, 05:21   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
if you pardon the cleshay (is this correct spelling?)
Close.... I think its cliche- if you meant stereotype, or too common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Of course individuals do loose out when we have newer models and cars in quick succesion, but frankly speaking in India, where we are very far from Intl standards of technology and price, we need cars manfacturers to catch up.
I really do not think we loose anything when a new car is launched. You still continue to love your car. New launches limits the number of cars that look just like yours. I hate to bump into an exact replica of your car at the parking lot. (Too bad I do not have a Ferrari/lambo to completely eliminate that possibility ) That said, part of me wants to buy the latest and greatest, and another part wants to buy the tried and tested version. Tough choice.

BTW, looking at the recent launches for non FBU cars the technology and price is definitely on par with the Intl standards. Why do you think the manufacturers need to catch up?
Old 8th July 2006, 09:05   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee
That said, part of me wants to buy the latest and greatest, and another part wants to buy the tried and tested version. Tough choice.
True. that's exactly the dilemma.

BUSA, I'm waiting for the X2 platform stuff too .. but reg the new scorpio, the roundish tail lights are picked off the current [Chrysler] Jeep styling, and then stretched up to the roof .. The front grille slats continue, though the number is lesser than the 7-slat Jeep trademark. And, , M&M's logo resembles that of Oldsmobile ..
Old 8th July 2006, 13:18   #67
SUV
BHPian

X2 Platoform is totally a grounds up design .. Ala all Tata Car's / SUV.... and we all know who did the R&D to improve them .....

Like how the Safari took 10 long years to improve ...... expect the X2 to do the same albight prolly in 5 years ( keeping fingers crossed) .......
Besides the X2 platform is the X-over and Cliffrider which was displayed in the Auto Expo 05 & 06 ...... And by the looks of it .. i think they fall into the MPV / Softroader segment .... So i would expect the Safari to be around even then .. cos TATA's wont have an option for customer's in the Safari Class ...... every manufacturere wants to retain the previous model nowaday's to get that little extra revenue nd potray offering more model's ....... So it does make economic sense to develop a engine / drive train which can be common accross platform to cut costs .. I would Expect the SUMO to stay nd also to get the 2.2 ltr de-tuned engine ...... SUMO sales are in class with the likes of the Qualis (not the same number's prolly) nd introducing a MPV to replace the SUMO will prove fool hardy like what happed when Qualis was replaced by innova .....

I dont see the Safari going out of production for time to come ....

OT : Even mahindra are coming out with a Innova Beater called the Ingenia or something ..... Which will co-exist with the Scorpio .... And the new engine (mentioed in another thread) is being developed for that platform ... nd prolly be shoehorned into the Scorpio to get the agregates right for the next platform ...

PS : its strange that how Indian manufacturers think Alike ....In this case (TATA and Mahindra) even the engine capacity nd power are similar .... are they by any chance sharing suppplier's / component Manufacturers ....to keep costs down ..

Last edited by SUV : 8th July 2006 at 13:20.
Old 14th July 2006, 20:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari a potential Baleno beater??!!

Check out the wikipedia entry for the Tata Safari.
It mentions a 0-60kph dash of 5.3 seconds and the 100kmph mark coming up in just 11.4 seconds!! (*10)
Steer, Nitibagh, is this true?
Old 14th July 2006, 23:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

The New Safari as well as New Scorpio will be here by end of this year early next year for sure, X2 or not they have to get it as 2007 EURO IV norms become compulsary and the present engine cant be made Euro IV.

Quote:
0-60kph dash of 5.3 seconds and the 100kmph mark coming up in just 11.4 seconds!!
If we put a Accord 3.0L I Vtec engine with 221bhp still thats not possible because the car weighs 2 tonnes.

Quote:
That Safari can travel at speeds of 140kph even in the fourth gear
With the revv counter hitting at 3000RPM. Also they say
Quote:
an all-new replacement comes up in 2007.
Old 19th July 2006, 12:58   #70
SUV
BHPian

Guy's .. I just heard that the 3.0 DICOR Safari production has been Stopped .. I dont know how far this is True .. can someone Verify ...

PS : Hindu and ET report on June 28 / 30th that the 2.2 ltr DICOR will be launched on the Safari Sometime August 06 ....

Cheer's
Old 19th July 2006, 13:31   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
Guy's .. I just heard that the 3.0 DICOR Safari production has been Stopped .. I dont know how far this is True .. can someone Verify ...
I will check this out this weekend; last Saturday I asked for a VX Dicor test drive, they had no VXs in stock, had asked me to check this week, if they still don't have any coming in, this could be a pointer. But only a pointer, not confirmed information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
PS : Hindu and ET report on June 28 / 30th that the 2.2 ltr DICOR will be launched on the Safari Sometime August 06 ....

Cheer's
That ties in with Milin's post about displaying at the AGM, when is that? In any case, these guys are tight-lipped (as expected), I'd written to the guy who issues their press releases and here is his reply (not that one expected them to tell us anyone )-

QUOTE -
"
Dear Mr. Dutt,

Thank you for your interest in a Tata Motors product.But, I am afarid, we will not be able to share product development and launch plans.

We hope you will appreciate our position.

Kind regards

Debasis Ray
Head - Corporate Communications
Tata Motors Limited

Dear Mr Ray,

I was going through the Press Releases on the website so I thought I’d ask you the question – I was planning to go in for the Safari Dicor VX 4X4 but I was told that there is a new 2.2 liter 140 bhp engine presently being tested across India and due for launch very soon.

I want to check with you if this statement is true and if so, when is the expected launch date? I would rather wait for a new model if it is only a few months away. Hope to hear some good news back from you soon.

Thanks & Regards

Sumantra Dutt
New Delhi

"UNQUOTE
Old 19th July 2006, 14:09   #72
BHPian

ha ha ha good try Suman....

I dont think they will give you any info. A known Tata motors dealer wil be of some help I think.
Old 19th July 2006, 14:14   #73
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima
ha ha ha good try Suman....

I dont think they will give you any info. A known Tata motors dealer wil be of some help I think.
Well actually might just work .... if they cannot produce a VX 4x4 for a customer, they might as well spill the beans .....i am sure they wouldnt want to lose a prospective buyer
Old 19th July 2006, 16:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

No point getting too excited over the new Dicor - they will replace it with yet another model within one year or less.

You're better off investing your money elsewhere. The car itself may be good, but the company is too inconsistent to put your money on. 10 lakhs is no laughing matter.
Old 19th July 2006, 16:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
No point getting too excited over the new Dicor - they will replace it with yet another model within one year or less.

You're better off investing your money elsewhere. The car itself may be good, but the company is too inconsistent to put your money on. 10 lakhs is no laughing matter.
But what are the options at this point, lets have a look at them (my opinions strictly, forum members may agree or disagree, lets look at these objectively) -

Honda CRV - Don't like it, 5 seater, petrol guzzler, soft roader, don't think it would come back looking good if one put it through some of the dirt trails of Himachal
Tucson CRV - Don't like it, 5 seater, doesn't even come with any optional extras worth talking about, same as above if you actually ever take it for serious "off-roading"
Scorpio - Even the top of the line model STILL doesn't come with standard 4X4, nor basic safety features like Airbags, ABS & EBD that all other manufacturers are offering (And please guys, lets not start a discussion on whether or not ABS, EBD & Airbags are necessary, to me they are)
Pajero 2.8glx - Dated model, still comfortable but 19 lacs plus on-road so forget it, way over my budget

What does that leave us with, just the two below -

Endeavour XLT 4X4 - I would have bought it had it not been for the dated engine and the rear seat comfort. Some basic upgrades have now arrived - leather seat covers & bolsters and I-pod/MP3 compatible music system is standard but what about the Bl***y engine?!! Still nothing on the horizon, just rumors rumors and more rumors.....however, still an option for me at 15.83 lacs on-road Gurgaon for the 4x4 one
Dicor VX 4X4 - Excellent passenger seat comfort, 3k rpm a MAJOR headache, FULLY LOADED as far as the extras go and.....this is THE factor......now 4.3 lacs CHEAPER than the Endeavour.

So where does one go my friend? I'm not buying the Dicor tomorrow but its definitely something to keep in mind.........one can always upgrade to a better make & model in maybe a year's time though resale values will go down if the new one comes along.

And, why so disillusioned with the TATAs all of a sudden, these new products do happen once in a while!

Last edited by suman : 19th July 2006 at 16:38.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks