Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2013, 18:07   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
In the end it goes down to what the customer wants.
I have the same opinion.
CS versions and entry level sedans are there for a purpose, people feel it meets their requirement and they go for it else by now they would have disappeared from the market. Once Ford, Volkswagen, Hyundai etc comes with their CS version these bashing on CS will stop, I feel.

Also, when a compact sedan meets their requirement, why would someone extend their budget by extra 20% or 2L+ for a Vento/Verna? It is not only about the 2L difference, this difference also increases the EMI by 4K-6K based on the tenure.

Recently one of my friend moved his booking from Swift to Dzire. Reason, for more boot space which he gets for around 50K more. He also, considered Etios but felt that the boot is too huge for his needs and parking Etios means he will not be able to close his gates. I don't see him loosing anything when compared with Swift.
Old 1st November 2013, 18:21   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
Back to cars, just watch how the A3 is going to kill the 1 series and A class.
Consider Q1 which is <4m. Even Audi wants a piece of this cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Jazz owners (me!) would like to know that it measures 390 cm and the boot is 366 litres.
Jazz is one of the best cars in case of packaging. The next gen may come with 400L boot and will make even Amaze shy!

Last edited by skyfire2892 : 1st November 2013 at 18:26.
Old 1st November 2013, 19:05   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post

Jazz is one of the best cars in case of packaging. The next gen may come with 400L boot and will make even Amaze shy!
Jazz is awesome. Infact it should have been called Amaze! Or Magic. It never fails to surprise. The legroom for a family of 6 footers and endless bootspace is incredible. And the 10 Cup holders always have a purpose. I once travelled in an indigo cs taxi and for the entire journey I had to hold my mobile in my hand. There are exactly zero cubby holes in the cabin!

Last edited by lemedico : 1st November 2013 at 19:15.
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 19:48   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jazz is awesome. Infact it should have been called Amaze! Or Magic. It never fails to surprise. The legroom for a family of 6 footers and endless bootspace is incredible. And the 10 Cup holders always have a purpose. I once travelled in an indigo cs taxi and for the entire journey I had to hold my mobile in my hand. There are exactly zero cubby holes in the cabin!
I agree the Jazz is a superb car. I have no clue why it met with a lukewarm response in this country. We seem to prefer 'quantity' over 'quality' somehow.
Old 1st November 2013, 19:58   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I agree the Jazz is a superb car. I have no clue why it met with a lukewarm response in this country. We seem to prefer 'quantity' over 'quality' somehow.
The sole factor IMO was the price. I got the base trim Jazz 4 years ago for an OTR figure of 7.9 lacs. There was an endless queue of people in front of my face who had the same statement on their lips.."itne me verna/vento/deejire(Dzire) aa jaati aur aapne choti car le liya" The price did pinch me at the time but my foresight was clear. I knew it would excel over the years of ownership.
lemedico is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 22:32   #126
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Quote:

The sole factor IMO was the price. I got the base trim Jazz 4 years ago for an OTR figure of 7.9 lacs. There was an endless queue of people in front of my face who had the same statement on their lips.."itne me verna/vento/deejire(Dzire) aa jaati aur aapne choti car le liya" The price did pinch me at the time but my foresight was clear. I knew it would excel over the years of ownership.
What the public feel is once the price crosses 7L it is better to invest in a sedan IMO. And moreover the Jazz was costly for a hatchback and no Diesel option. The Swift had swiped the market and every buyer who didn't justify the running for a distal car went and bought a Swift D. Had Honda launched a diesel Jazz the Swift sales would slow down.

Anurag.
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:45   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Let's put a bit of statistics into the wordplay. For the record I am Pro-Hatchback.

The Swift, is an impressive package and looks good whether viewed from the back, front or the side. According to official dimensions it is 385 cm in length.

The Dzire, which has been rightfully bashed on this thread is 399.5 cm. Merely 14.5 cm/5.8 inches "longer" than the Swift. That 0.5 cm subtraction off the 400 cm limit is epic proof that the company was trying far to hard to get it tucked within the limit hence ruining the back end.

I cannot fathom the fact that a addition of a figure as MINUSCULE as 14.5 cm is capable of adding status to the purchase and all the perks which come with it. Come on think of it, even the ruler which we kept in our geometry boxes in school are 15 cm in length. Does it make a difference!

On the other hand, the Brio and Amaze measure at 366 cm and 399 cm respectively. The Amaze is far better a looker from the rear as compared to the Dzire

Jazz owners (me!) would like to know that it measures 390 cm and the boot is 366 litres. The Dzire "sedan" can hold only 316 litres of cargo and the Swift does a microscopic 204 litres

The winner is clear, the hatchback
So the Moral of the Story is that if you buy swift, you aint a show off. But if you buy dzire for 316 boot space, you are a show off and you are trying to add status to your purchase?

If you buy Amaze which is 33 CM bigger than brio, its justifiable but if you buy dzire which is 15 cms more in length than swift, its not justifiable? Although both car are of almost the same size.

So buying dzire for more than 100 Litres of boot space than swift is not justified but buying jazz which has 50 litres more than dzire is justifiable?

Clearly Manza is the winner by all above logic
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:34   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
So the Moral of the Story is that if you buy swift, you aint a show off. But if you buy dzire for 316 boot space, you are a show off and you are trying to add status to your purchase?

If you buy Amaze which is 33 CM bigger than brio, its justifiable but if you buy dzire which is 15 cms more in length than swift, its not justifiable? Although both car are of almost the same size.

So buying dzire for more than 100 Litres of boot space than swift is not justified but buying jazz which has 50 litres more than dzire is justifiable?

Clearly Manza is the winner by all above logic
I believe you are getting it wrong... Dzire over Swift can be termed as a bad choice, because you lose the Fun-To Drive factor & the increased boot that you get does not justify the price difference (if I recall correctly, Dzire CS is priced almost at the same price point as the outgoing one).

Compare this with the Amaze, where the difference in boot space is more than double that of Brio 400L vrs 170L (current Swift is 206L & Dzire is 316L).

And it not the Manza, but the Etios which is the winner with 595L boot space, bigger than most cars, across segments, in India, & it's quite spacious & comfortable as well.

However, buying a car is purely a personal call & there are lot of factors in ones mind when a car is bought, & there is no point telling or nitpicking after the car has been purchased, but, let the person enjoy the moment.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 2nd November 2013 at 12:37.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 22:35   #129
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
However, buying a car is purely a personal call & there are lot of factors in ones mind when a car is bought, & there is no point telling or nitpicking after the car has been purchased, but, let the person enjoy the moment.
Good one Cardeep!

Any car be it Sedan, Hatchback, SUV/MUV/UV or a pseudo-sedan, it is the buyers liking and his money which he invests in it and we sitting here can't judge anything or argue as much we want thinking which is better a proper sedan or a pseudo-sedan.

Indians will still love the Dzire and Amaze and there is no stopping whatsoever.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 09:48   #130
BHPian

For the record, I am pro-hatchback for it's practicality as a city car. There's no denying that the CS version of cars do not look nice (from the side) to say the least. No offence to anyone.

Well, OTOH wouldn't it be a good idea to make Notch-backs instead of Compact sedans? It would give the designers a bit more room to make the side profile of the car look nice and would even aid in practicality. The boot size would be more and can even hold taller luggage.
Moreover, considering the boot == status, the notchbacks do have distinct boot and it look doesn't even look any different than a Sedan. I wonder why this segment is so neglected.

Personally, I loved Accent Viva more than the original Accent.
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 23:31   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I believe you are getting it wrong..

Cardeep, I think you got me wrong over here. The last point that you have made is what i was trying to say. My post was in context. Few would buy a car coz its 33 cms longer than the hatch..
Old 12th November 2013, 16:25   #132
BHPian

I have a Dzire Vdi purchased almost exactly a year back in November 2013. While looking for a car, I had a few specific requirements in mind.
1. It had to be a diesel with high mileage
2. It had to have a boot space, to carry a pram
3. The maintenance costs should be low

If you have these three requirements in mind, I believe a compact sedan is the most ideal.

I would even today prefer a Dzire over an Amaze as the maintenance cost of a Suzuki are lower than a Honda, at least in India.

My car has done 26,000 odd km, i get a mileage of 17 in Mumbai and 20+ on highways.

My second car, SX4 petrol, and the car at home, Nissan Sunny VX, are petrol guzzlers and honestly make one think twice before you take them out for a spin.
Old 12th November 2013, 16:57   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by us.dash View Post
I have a Dzire Vdi purchased almost exactly a year back in November 2013. While looking for a car, I had a few specific requirements in mind.
1. It had to be a diesel with high mileage
2. It had to have a boot space, to carry a pram
3. The maintenance costs should be low

If you have these three requirements in mind, I believe a compact sedan is the most ideal.

I would even today prefer a Dzire over an Amaze as the maintenance cost of a Suzuki are lower than a Honda, at least in India.

My car has done 26,000 odd km, i get a mileage of 17 in Mumbai and 20+ on highways.

My second car, SX4 petrol, and the car at home, Nissan Sunny VX, are petrol guzzlers and honestly make one think twice before you take them out for a spin.
Sorry to be picky but you've written 2013 instead if 2012!
Old 12th November 2013, 18:46   #134
Senior - BHPian

Compact sedans in today's scenario are no doubt practical. You have a compact car with a decent enough boot space. Fine! And that works well for quite a few people.

But the question that many here are trying to prodd is that, isn't the runaway success of these cars attributed more to the shape than the practicality.

Putting it in other words, suppose the Dzire is not a sedan, but a hatchback with the same length, same wheelbase, same interior rear space albeit minus the sedan boot. Something similar to a station wagon. Or for that matter even the amaze. Won't that boot be much more in size and at the same time more practical than the boot we now have in these cars?

Why then don't we see more of such cars if it was all for practicality. Isn't it because of the additional value we attach to the three box shape?

People who have bought these cars for practicality are absolutely correct in their choice because currently they don't have any other options. But the how much of the overwhelming success is because of the practicalilty and not because of the notional status symbol of the third box?
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 08:02   #135
Team-BHP Support

Now its VW's turn?
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-364086.aspx/0

Hope they get the proportions right and not just concentrate on the 4m factor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks