Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2013, 22:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How do you rate the tour against the Verito and the Etios. Seems like they have everything that the Dzire does plus better room, ride quality and less lag.
I have always liked the Verito right from when it used to be the Logan. Strong, comfy cars.

I do NOT like the Etios. The Etios is rubbish. Uncomfortable. No leg room. Bumpy ride. Bad seats with very little under thigh support. No head room. Low slung so irritating to get in and out of.

Quite clearly in my opinion, as a Taxicab, the Dzire Tour beats both of these cars hollow.

Push comes to shove, I would call for a Dzire, manage with a Verito but would be displeased with the Etios. Much better to pull a better car like the Manza or Corolla or Innova, even at a higher price.
Old 31st October 2013, 22:13   #107
BHPian

Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I find it extremly weird and hilarious that people who buy an ecosport, which in itself is a compact SUV, find the CS sedans to be weird. Can there be any better oximoron to this?

OT - Found this apt for this one. "People who live in a glass house, should be watchful when they take bath"

Again, everyone has right to a opinion, but not to be dismissive.
Well, tell me one compact SUV that looks weird?

Second, the equivalent hatch versions of these compact sedans are a good lac or so cheaper. So i find it a bit strange that somebody would spend a lac more for a weird mod job.

Well, unless they want to show off that boot, no matter how ugly it looks.

Yes, we all have our opinions, so no need to take offence of every opinion we hear.
ecosport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 22:19   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How do you rate the tour against the Verito and the Etios. Seems like they have everything that the Dzire does plus better room, ride quality and less lag.
If you had asked me this, I would say Verito has a better ride quality than Dzire. Body roll in Dzire is way too much. I am saying this because I have sat with 2 other people in Verito and then for the same return journey in the Dzire. While returning in the Dzire all three of us could say that even the back seat of Verito was more comfortable and spacious.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 31st October 2013 at 22:22.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 22:35   #109
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
If you had asked me this, I would say Verito has a better ride quality than Dzire. Body roll in Dzire is way too much. I am saying this because I have sat with 2 other people in Verito and then for the same return journey in the Dzire. While returning in the Dzire all three of us could say that even the back seat of Verito was more comfortable and spacious.

The Renault suspension is legendary. The Logan and its half-brother, the Verito are very well sprung indeed.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 22:38   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
Well, tell me one compact SUV that looks weird?

I dont want to continue this discussion anymore than everyone else on this forum, but I thought I will take time to name a few compact SUV which look wierd, according to me.

1. ECOSPORT
2. DUSTER
3. Quanto (Not an SUV, but compact never the less)

Again, all of these are MY opinion, so not necessary I expect people to accept.
Old 1st November 2013, 12:21   #111
BHPian

Quote:
compact SUV which look wierd, according to me.

1. ECOSPORT
2. DUSTER
Really, Duster?! that is one gorgeous looking car, oops , SUV ! Every time, I see it in my wing mirror I love it. Personal opinion I guess. Ecosport don't look that bad either; but, looks wise, it is behind Duster.
Old 1st November 2013, 12:41   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Story:
We recently got ourselves an Ecosport AT. However, our car search started with Amaze (Compact Sedan). We found the Amaze very competent, comfortable, spacious and reasonably good value for money. Given that we were ONLY looking for Petrol AT options, the version we chose was the V(AT) and it was costing us 8.7 Lacs OTR in Delhi. We were even promised ready delivery depending on the Color choice.

Then we decided to look at the competition and options available. So, we went to:
Nissan-
Sunny AT too long although a good package for 9.4 L OTR
Micra AT too short, although another good package overall. The boot space was a downer.
Ford-
Ecosport - Suited us from every perspective, but we were put off by the horrendous waiting periods. It was not long, not short, had an adequate boot, and was LOADED! Sub 10 Lac OTR.
Mahindra-
Scorpio - Good AT Transmission. Average space and ergonomics, But Diesel. So, quite a practical option at 12.4 L OTR. This made it to the shortlist.
Volkswagen -
Polo GT TSI - This is the car we were smitten with. Wonderful to drive BUT, you cannot practically carry 4 people in this. There is NO Space in the second row. After three visits, three test drives and a very heavy heart we crossed it out. BTW it was a ready delivery for White and 9 Lac OTR.
Vento - Good car, ok AT box, very comfy, but again too long for our liking. We didn't dismiss it, and it languished somewhere towards the bottom of our shortlist. 11.4 Lac OTR with ready delivery.
Skoda -
Rapid - Similar to Vento, slightly better appointed. Lower price too. But, faced BAD attitude from the Dealer staff and stuck Skoda off our list. If this is pre-sale experience, wonder what the post-sale would be like!
Maruti and Hyundai offerings were not even considered, since we have a strict policy at home against these brands.

So, at the end of the day our shortlist looked like:
1. Scorpio AT / Amaze AT - Royal Confusion
2. Vento AT

Somewhere during this period, we received an EcoSport allocation, so there ended the debate for us.
Having said that, I personally found the Amaze, and generally the Compact Sedan category a very practical and welcome addition to the market.
From my perspective, I was getting an ability to carry 5 passengers in comfort, carry their luggage along when required, good driving dynamics and ride quality, within a footprint that is quite easily manageable in crowded city roads. Isn't this a very good thing? One doesn't have to compromise on boot space, as in a hatch, or doesn't need to lug around an extra 1-2 feet in crowded markets, as in a sedan.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 13:43   #113
BHPian

Quote:
I dont want to continue this discussion anymore than everyone else on this forum, but I thought I will take time to name a few compact SUV which look wierd, according to me.

1. ECOSPORT
2. DUSTER

Again, all of these are MY opinion, so not necessary I expect people to accept.
I appreciate you being brutally honest. It is not easy to be against the tide. To be fair to you, there even exists people in this world who believe that Elvis is still alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Having said that, I personally found the Amaze, and generally the Compact Sedan category a very practical and welcome addition to the market.
From my perspective, I was getting an ability to carry 5 passengers in comfort, carry their luggage along when required, good driving dynamics and ride quality, within a footprint that is quite easily manageable in crowded city roads. Isn't this a very good thing? One doesn't have to compromise on boot space, as in a hatch, or doesn't need to lug around an extra 1-2 feet in crowded markets, as in a sedan.
But, don't you think that a 4 meter hatch or estate has more useful space and is more practical than a 4 meter sedan?

BTW, not just compact, I find sedans in general less practical than equivalent hatches.
Old 1st November 2013, 14:30   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, don't you think that a 4 meter hatch or estate has more useful space and is more practical than a 4 meter sedan?

BTW, not just compact, I find sedans in general less practical than equivalent hatches.
And what vehicle exactly, qualifies there?
I bought the Ecosport (pseudo SUV/Hatch-on-stilts/mini SUV/whatever...), as it was spacious enough and compact enough, and suited ALL my needs (below) to the "T".
  • AT - Check
  • Safety Features - Check
  • Creature Comforts - Check
  • Service Network - Check
  • Capital Outlay - Check
  • Ground Clearance - Big Check
  • Ride & Handling - Check
The compact sedans (Actually only AMAZE) mainly failed the above list on GC and Safety features.

I personally tend to opine that Sedans (longer the better) are extremely comfortable and practical vehicles, in their own right; however the ever-increasing car densities on Indian roads necessitate a practical smallish sedan.

Oh, by the way - The Ecosport is meant as a replacement for the Logan.

Last edited by roy_libran : 1st November 2013 at 14:31.
Old 1st November 2013, 16:33   #115
BHPian

Quote:
And what vehicle exactly, qualifies there?
I bought the Ecosport (pseudo SUV/Hatch-on-stilts/mini SUV/whatever...), as it was spacious enough and compact enough, and suited ALL my needs (below) to the "T".
  • AT - Check
  • Safety Features - Check
  • Creature Comforts - Check
  • Service Network - Check
  • Capital Outlay - Check
  • Ground Clearance - Big Check
  • Ride & Handling - Check
The compact sedans (Actually only AMAZE) mainly failed the above list on GC and Safety features.

I personally tend to opine that Sedans (longer the better) are extremely comfortable and practical vehicles, in their own right; however the ever-increasing car densities on Indian roads necessitate a practical smallish sedan.

Oh, by the way - The Ecosport is meant as a replacement for the Logan.
What i meant was, the space behind the the second row is better utilised in the hatch/estate form than the sedan. In the hatch form,

- you get a taller boot, so you can carry taller stuff.
- you have the flexibility of combining it with the the second row space by folding the rear seats.
- the boot is accessible from the cabin

Three box cars are a stupid concept (according to me).
Old 1st November 2013, 16:55   #116
vij
BHPian

Quote:
I appreciate you being brutally honest. It is not easy to be against the tide. To be fair to you, there even exist people in this world who believe that Elvis is still alive.
vij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 17:05   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What i meant was, the space behind the the second row is better utilised in the hatch/estate form than the sedan. In the hatch form,

- you get a taller boot, so you can carry taller stuff.
- you have the flexibility of combining it with the the second row space by folding the rear seats.
- the boot is accessible from the cabin

Agreed. But I love long sedans for the way they look and drive. However, increasingly they are becoming impractical for Indian cities. That is where compact sedans fill the gap admirably. Hell, recently I successfully convinced a friend to down grade from buying a City to buying an Amaze and he's loving it. To each his own I guess.
Old 1st November 2013, 17:29   #118
BHPian

In the end it goes down to what the customer wants.

With 15k a month you can't consider all buyers of dzire to be foolish going only for an extended boot. People choose option more practical to them. Even Amaze made 9.5k in October.

In India people have different mentalities like excessive chrome, beige interiors etc. Both consumer and manufacturer have accepted the fact so I guess there is no problem going for CS.
Some people don't go for an SUV because they like streamlined body of a sedan, other like sturdy look of an SUV and while there are many who like old school SUV look instead of more curvy SUVs we see nowadays.
Consider Ecosport, many argue it's not a real SUV but it's still accepted by market with open hands.
The manufacturer will only go where mass market is present, even Hyundai is now getting it's compact sedan readied and it will also see a tremendous response.

In simple words if you find CS suitable for you, just go for it!

Someone said CS have problem with safety, higher models of Amaze/Dzire have features like dual airbags, ABS+EBD+BA, fog lights etc and Amaze's manual explains it's "ACE" structure which enhances protection in case of crash. So CS do not compromise on safety that much.
Old 1st November 2013, 17:55   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
I appreciate you being brutally honest. It is not easy to be against the tide. To be fair to you, there even exist people in this world who believe that Elvis is still alive.
Ain't that called, taste of your own medicine? Thanks, BTW.
Quote:
Agreed. But I love long sedans for the way they look and drive. However, increasingly they are becoming impractical for Indian cities. That is where compact sedans fill the gap admirably. Hell, recently I successfully convinced a friend to down grade from buying a City to buying an Amaze and he's loving it. To each his own I guess.
I too like the way sedans look, but then, there the affection ends. Be it compact or extra long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
In the end it goes down to what the customer wants.
No two ways about it. Have you seen the way Kinder Joy captured the market? Back to cars, just watch how the A3 is going to kill the 1 series and A class.
Old 1st November 2013, 18:03   #120
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Let's put a bit of statistics into the wordplay. For the record I am Pro-Hatchback.

The Swift, is an impressive package and looks good whether viewed from the back, front or the side. According to official dimensions it is 385 cm in length.

The Dzire, which has been rightfully bashed on this thread is 399.5 cm. Merely 14.5 cm/5.8 inches "longer" than the Swift. That 0.5 cm subtraction off the 400 cm limit is epic proof that the company was trying far to hard to get it tucked within the limit hence ruining the back end.

I cannot fathom the fact that a addition of a figure as MINUSCULE as 14.5 cm is capable of adding status to the purchase and all the perks which come with it. Come on think of it, even the ruler which we kept in our geometry boxes in school are 15 cm in length. Does it make a difference!

On the other hand, the Brio and Amaze measure at 366 cm and 399 cm respectively. The Amaze is far better a looker from the rear as compared to the Dzire

Jazz owners (me!) would like to know that it measures 390 cm and the boot is 366 litres. The Dzire "sedan" can hold only 316 litres of cargo and the Swift does a microscopic 204 litres

The winner is clear, the hatchback
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks