Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 04:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra launches 9-seater Xylo D2 Maxx

Mahindra has launched a 9-seater variant of the Xylo MPV called the Xylo D2 Maxx.

Mahindra launches 9-seater Xylo D2 Maxx-xylo.jpg

Quote:
Eyeing the people mover space in semi-urban locations of India, Mahindra & Mahindra has launched the 9 seater version of the Xylo, dubbed the D2 MAXX. This MPV is available in both BS3 and BS4 versions. The BS3 variant of the Xylo D2 MAXX is priced at 7.12 lakh rupees, ex-showroom Mumbai, a price that makes it undercut its direct competitors such as the Toyota Innova and the Nissan Evalia.

The Mahindra Xylo in D2 MAXX guise dumps the front-facing, third row for two rows of side facing seats. Consequently, seating capacity (including the driver) of the Xylo goes up to 9, in a 2+3+4 layout. The Xylo is also available in 7 (2+2+3) and 8 (2+3+3) seater variants.

The D2 MAXX variant of the Xylo, like its D4 sibling, is powered by a 2.5 liter mDI CRDe turbo diesel engine that outputs 93.7 Bhp of peak power and 220 Nm of peak torque. The engine is mated to a five speed manual gearbox that drives the rear wheels of this people mover. The Xylo D2 MAXX's mileage is an ARAI rated 14.95 Kmpl.
Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/news/mahindr...axx-9-seat-mpv

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2013 at 12:57. Reason: Link to our news article. Thanks
sarathlal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 09:46   #2
BHPian

A welcome move by M&M.However they should have launched it in BSIV variant to sell them in cities like Mumbai ,where there is a lot of demand for Xylo's in the Call-Center Industries.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 12:52   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra launches 9-seater Xylo D2 Maxx

Nice move by M&M - I had suggested this feature in my ownership thread - with a different kind of a seating option. If M&M can do this too - we can have a 10-seater Xylo - and then they can call it the Xylo D2 Maxx-X

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2961382

It would be interesting to see the layout and the space in the third row. Any pics of the layout? While leg room should be no issue at all (given that the Xylo has the best 3rd row space), head room will definitely be an issue since you would be sitting on the extreme sides.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 13:38   #4
BHPian

Forget about all the seating. What about the safety? Especially when the cab guys are driving the vehicle like nuts? I have concern about the safety. Just image what will happen to 8 people if there is a collision.
Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 13:55   #5
BHPian

@Kratos453: One of the safety concerns with respect to MPVs sold in India (not including the R-Class, here) is susceptibility to injury / death in case of a rear end collision. There is barely any space/crumple zone between the head restraint and the tailgate not only in the Xylo, but also in the Innova, the Ertiga, the Scorpio etc. If a vehicle (especially a truck) hits from behind at good speed, I am not sure if the people sitting in the rear-most seat would survive at all.

IIRC, Fifth gear did a similar test on a Renault (which?) and they came up with a similar concern.

The worst aspect of this is that many users ask their kids to sit in the rearmost seats!

There is a huge regulatory gap with respect to crash tests in India

Last edited by vipul_singh : 16th October 2013 at 13:56.
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 14:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
Forget about all the seating. What about the safety? Especially when the cab guys are driving the vehicle like nuts? I have concern about the safety. Just image what will happen to 8 people if there is a collision.
If safety was ever an issue in India, we would not be able to see the three wheelers and other similar contraptions on the Indian roads!

MM is simply cashing on the loopholes and providing a product that will sell is useful for the taxi segment.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 15:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
If safety was ever an issue in India, we would not be able to see the three wheelers and other similar contraptions on the Indian roads!

MM is simply cashing on the loopholes and providing a product that will sell is useful for the taxi segment.
Yes you are right. We are commonly seeing share autos loaded with atleast 10 people and sans all rules.

But seriously is Mahindra trying to make Xylo a commercial only product? It might end up like Tata Sumo which will seen only near the IT corridors. I thought Xylo had potential to be a all round vehicle just like Innova. But now this move is going to give it a Commercial only feel.
Old 17th October 2013, 16:32   #8
BHPian

Damn, a tad late for me. I just took delivery of the Force Cruiser 9 seater for my office staff. Would have considered this for sure !
Anyone knows the available options in this. We need a vehicle with PS but no A/c and Force is the only one offering this with 8~9 seats.
Tata and Mahindra vehicles,I would have had to pay for AC PS and then get the AC unit removed from them.
Second issue is of RTO registration at Panvel RTO. Tata and Mahindra told me that any vehicle above 7 seats, will have to be registered in personal name, however we need to register in Co's name under the Non Commercial Tourist category, where we pay yearly tax and have a yellow number plate. Force guys got the cruiser registered as I wanted.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 17th October 2013 at 16:36.
Old 17th October 2013, 17:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
But seriously is Mahindra trying to make Xylo a commercial only product? It might end up like Tata Sumo which will seen only near the IT corridors. I thought Xylo had potential to be a all round vehicle just like Innova.
Already it is targeted on commercial buyers. Especially the D series. Earlier E Series and current H series are considered for both.

Xylo has potential to be compared with Innova in most aspects except Cost and overall build quality. Just like FIAT used to be poor man's Ferrari. Xylo is poor man's Innova now.

This is also the "Chevy Enjoy" and "Leyland Style" effect, a new USP?
Old 17th October 2013, 18:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Any pictures of interiors available yet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks