Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 08:21   #541
BHPian

Re: VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod.shiva View Post
Have booked my Vento TSI today, expecting delivery in time for Dushera festivities.
Congratulations pramod.shiva!! Hope you get the delivery on expected date. Would you mind providing the details of on road price, variant and the dealers name?
Old 8th September 2015, 15:27   #542

Am going for Comfortline, booked it at Volkswagen Palace Cross, Bangalore

Vento TSI Comfortline comes at 12.42L and Highline was 13.3L on road price for Bangalore.
pramod.shiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 21:34   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod.shiva View Post
Am going for Comfortline, booked it at Volkswagen Palace Cross, Bangalore
Hi pramod.shiva,

Were you promised any discount/freebies during booking?

Regards.
Old 14th September 2015, 11:44   #544

Am getting free insurance and essential package - mats & mud-flaps. As I was tradeing in my old car, got a 20K exchange bonus.
pramod.shiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 16:01   #545
Senior - BHPian

I had a strange problem with my Vento TSI yesterday. I stopped to get a pollution check done at my pump and almost couldn't because we couldn't get the RPM to stay still at 2,300 to 2,700 for the needed 15 seconds. The car RPM would blip as if it's changing gears and it was a very frustrating experience.

Finally, I figured the RPM stays still longer in Neutral rather than Park and was able to get a minimum 3-month certificate.

The guy doing the check told me this is a problem in a few other cars viz. the Nano and Amaze diesel.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a way around it?

Last edited by StarScream : 10th December 2015 at 16:02. Reason: typo
Old 10th December 2015, 17:38   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I had a strange problem with my Vento TSI yesterday. I stopped to get a pollution check done at my pump and almost couldn't because we couldn't get the RPM to stay still at 2,300 to 2,700 for the needed 15 seconds. The car RPM would blip as if it's changing gears and it was a very frustrating experience.

Finally, I figured the RPM stays still longer in Neutral rather than Park and was able to get a minimum 3-month certificate.

The guy doing the check told me this is a problem in a few other cars viz. the Nano and Amaze diesel.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a way around it?
Never experienced this so far. But I will check again today
Old 5th January 2016, 12:03   #547
BHPian

i had a biker hitting on my TSI highline and with enough damage and the airbags failed to deploy. volkswagen has become german imagineering with nil reliability and zero accountability

Last edited by MuzzledMoose : 5th January 2016 at 12:12.
Old 5th January 2016, 12:28   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
i had a biker hitting on my TSI highline and with enough damage and the airbags failed to deploy. volkswagen has become german imagineering with nil reliability and zero accountability
Can you post some pictures? Any idea about what speed you were doing during impact?.
There are lots of variables to be considered by the system in order to deploy the airbags. This is the case with any car with airbags, so don't be surprised. Hope your beauty gets repaired ASAP!!
Old 5th January 2016, 12:39   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Can you post some pictures? Any idea about what speed you were doing during impact?.
There are lots of variables to be considered by the system in order to deploy the airbags. This is the case with any car with airbags, so don't be surprised. Hope your beauty gets repaired ASAP!!
pictures on its way. the most interesting thing is that the VW service centre guys said "sir if the airbags deployed, it would have cost a fortune, you are lucky" :Shocked:
1. the car was almost stationary as it was slowed down seeing the maniac biker coming towards me
2. Biker lost control and hit on centre of the hood. the bike was old max 100 and was cast iron bike. it did its damage.
3. Was wearing seat belts
4. Airbag sensor has triggered on the impact as per workshop (VW service)
So finally lost faith in german engineering!!

Here are some pictures

Biker landed on his head with helmet on on the glass

Enough damage for the airbag to trigger
Attached Thumbnails
VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th January 2016 at 13:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute edit window to add more contents. Thanks!
MuzzledMoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:11   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Firstly, the car manufacturer is not willing to take any chances, even if only 0.001% of people really needed an airbag to help them at a 20km/h collision they will design it to deploy in that situation. If they dont, theres a possibility for millions of dollars lost in law suits and bad publicity.

Secondly, your car might be going at 20km/h, but a bus might be coming at you at 50km/h on the wrong side of the road. The combined collision speed is much higher than 20km/h!

Thirdly, dont underestimate the damage that can be caused by a very sudden stop from 20km/h.

The airbags deployment doesnt really have much to do with speed. Maybe it only activates after a certain speed (10-20km/h?) but the DEPLOYMENT happens purely due to the rate of DECELERATION that the sensors detect.
- If you drive into a pile of sponge at 100km/h, the airbags wont deploy since the deceleration will be at a fairly low rate.
- If you drive into a bunch of bushes at 30km/h it might not generate enough sudden deceleration for the airbags to deploy
- If you drive into a solid wall at 15km/h the airbags might deploy!

See the triggering conditions here for more info:
Air bag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cya
R
Hope this answers your questions MuzzledMoose! Atleast be thankful that the damage isn't very high! IMO airbag deployment isn't really necessary here. It's needed if the impact forces are way higher. I may be wrong here too.

Quote:
pictures on its way. the most interesting thing is that the VW service centre guys said "sir if the airbags deployed, it would have cost a fortune, you are lucky" :Shocked:
1. the car was almost stationary as it was slowed down seeing the maniac biker coming towards me
2. Biker lost control and hit on centre of the hood. the bike was old max 100 and was cast iron bike. it did its damage.
3. Was wearing seat belts
4. Airbag sensor has triggered on the impact as per workshop (VW service)
Turbohead is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:40   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I dont think that the airbag had any role to play here. You say that the car had been almost stationary and the biker rammed into the car. The deciding point here is, 'Did you suffer any injury because the airbag did not deploy?' Or in a much more direct fashion, did you or the co passenger hit the steering or any hard object, or were you thrown ahead to a point where the airbag could have cushioned you and protected you from injury? If no, then there is no issue with the airbags IMO.

In what way do the VW mechanics say that the sensors are triggered? Is it because they have physically moved? That is a wrong logic. If it has indeed triggered, the airbag controller will have an event stored in its diagnostic memory. If thats the case, then you will have a case against VW. But from a distant view, I dont see anything wrong here. Since I work for automotive safety systems, we have a good bunch of use cases for these things and this is not a use case by your description and the pictures of the impact. The mechanic is indeed right - You saved a huge repair bill.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th January 2016 at 13:41.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 14:30   #552
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I dont think that the airbag had any role to play here. You say that the car had been almost stationary and the biker rammed into the car. The deciding point here is, 'Did you suffer any injury because the airbag did not deploy?' ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
IMO airbag deployment isn't really necessary here. It's needed if the impact forces are way higher...
Quote:
+1 to audioholic and Turbohead. Airbags should deploy only if there is a chance of injury to you, not based on the damage to the car. From the pictures, it looks like the impact has been absorbed by the bumper and engine bay, thus making the deployment of the airbag unnecessary.

Here is an interesting article on airbag deployment thresholds.

My Airbag Did Not Deploy-What Went Wrong?

In your case, the combined velocity of both the bike and your car should have been well below the deployment threshold, and also because of the impact being absorbed well by the car. Unnecessary deployment of airbags could themselves cause injury.

Hope your car gets back to its original glory soon.

Last edited by graaja : 5th January 2016 at 14:40.
Old 5th January 2016, 15:03   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here are some pictures

Good that the biker was wearing a helmet, seeing the impact on the glass, would have been a very unpleasant situation if he did not have a helmet. Hope he was not seriously injured.

As others have mentioned, as long as this did not result in any situation for you where an airbag would have helped, it is only good that it did not deploy. So I would say the overall car and system worked as it should in such a real world scenario. No need to lose faith in German engineering as yet. .

In any case, a bad hit for the car. Hope it is back up and running soon.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 5th January 2016 at 15:04.
Old 5th January 2016, 21:40   #554
BHPian

An airbag should deploy on a frontal hit as seen as it's designed for. It's sure that it will not deploy even with harder collisions seeing the current status. The vehicle decelerated quickly. If it was moving the biker would not exist today.
I am located at THRISSUR in KERALA. Volkswagen quoted 30 days time to repair this. Expected bill is 2 Laks.
Old 5th January 2016, 22:35   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An airbag should deploy on a frontal hit as seen as it's designed for. It's sure that it will not deploy even with harder collisions seeing the current status. The vehicle decelerated quickly. If it was moving the biker would not exist .
Again, sorry if I am offending you, but thats not how simple the airbag is built for. It isnt a balloon that inflates when a switch is triggered. The system can 'think and decide' what is necessary and what is not. There is lot of science involved in something as small as the signal that is sent to airbag by the controller to trigger it. This is done to prevent stray inflation due to voltage fluctuations in the car. Same thing goes for the Airbag controller as well. I agree there are Airbag recalls and failed airbags but speaking in specific to your case, it was unnecessary for the airbag to have triggered.

If you are so not confident even know, and if the car is not yet surveyed, you can always test the airbags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks