Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2017, 20:11   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs

IMO, it seems like adding water to the JLR value.

Think of a Discovery selling abroad at 70L, while a look-alike Tata Q502 selling at 25L. It's in the same lines of Chinese manufacturers selling copy cats at half the price - except that in this case, it is from the same group, and legal correct.

Tata should come up with new designs, IMO.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 8th March 2017 at 20:14.
Old 8th March 2017, 20:25   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

Think of a Discovery selling abroad at 70L, while a look-alike Tata Q502 selling at 25L. It's in the same lines of Chinese manufacturers selling copy cats at half the price - except that in this case, it is from the same group, and legal correct.
This was bound to happen sooner or later, considering how insane the luxury car prices are here. We are paying double the value for the cars we get. Good that Tata is going to sell it at its correct price, albeit a little watered down. Discovery sport starts at the equivalent of 25 lakhs in the US and Discovery starts at around 33 lakhs.

I hope other manufacturers follow Tata.
deerhunter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 10:26   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

My good friend Autospy had the chance to take some snaps of the Q501 during it's testing rounds on the streets of Pune.

He managed to capture the interiors of the upcoming Tata flagship, albeit from a distance. Also, he took a short video when the test car tried to overtake the bus he was on.

RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 13:45   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Q501 spotted on test,

Quote:
Tata Q501 is being tested, but it is morphed up as the Land Rover Discovery Sport to hide the actual design of the SUV. JLR is an expect at this, as the company has been testing the Jaguar crossovers with the Land Rover skin. The same is being implemented with the new Tata Q501 SUV as well. This is the company’s all new sUV and shall be based on the Harrier platform. The new Q501 has been spotted by one of our readers. The images are clear and they suggest that the new SUV could be masked. The tyres on the SUV are Bridgestone Dueler and they appear to be 17-inch. This time the alloy wheels on the SUV are similar in design to the Tata Bolt, of course these are bigger ones. The engine is the 2.0-litre Multijet as even the exhaust is different
Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-1.jpg
Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-2.jpg
Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-3.jpg

link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 15:21   #170
BHPian

One thing I strangely noticed is that these are 5 Cars in total (could be more). All of the test mules have same number MH 14 TC 206, only the last letters change. Is this how test all manufacture cars have numbers ?

MH 14 TC 206 AP
MH 14 TC 206 D
MH 14 TC 206 M / W
MH 14 TC 206 Y
MH 14 TC 206 AU

Most of these 5 cars have different alloys and sizes, testing the best combination.
amrutmhatre90 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 22:45   #171
Senior - BHPian

Here's some confirmed news about the new Tata SUVs.
Quote:
Tata Motors today confirmed that it will launch two new SUVs – a five-seater and a seven-seater in the next financial year 2018-2019. Targeting a price of Rs 13 lakh, the five-seater SUV will take on the Hyundai Creta and Renault Kaptur, while the seven-seater model is expected to cost Rs 2 lakh more and square up against the Jeep Compass.
Source - http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news...-rivals-405736

Last edited by safari_lover : 21st August 2017 at 22:45. Reason: Added the source link
safari_lover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:19   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

Tata should come up with new designs, IMO.
Don't think the Tata SUVs are going to look anything like the LRs...
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:14   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post

Knowing TATA, They must have targeted March 2019 for launch and most likely they will miss the deadline. Creta and Compass might have updated/face lifted models by then.
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:42   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Knowing TATA, They must have targeted March 2019 for launch and most likely they will miss the deadline. Creta and Compass might have updated/face lifted models by then.
Tata Motors CEO has said that there would be zero tolerance regarding vehicle launch deadlines. Hopefully there's a change in the culture and work style of the company.
And AFAIK, the new Safari is being launched next year and would be a model to watch out for.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 11:57   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
And AFAIK, the new Safari is being launched next year and would be a model to watch out for.
I had gone for the service of my Manza to the Tata service center. Over there, the service adviser also mentioned the same thing. He said that new Safari is going to be launched next year, that will be based on the Discovery platform.

If they succeed in decreasing the weight and manage to give world class interiors, equipped with powerful specifications, this could be a car to look out for.

I am planning to go for a pre-worshiped Octavia in 2020. But if these vehicles come out to be same as per the claims, then these could be a contender (I know I will be comparing apples and oranges, but it is ok)
driverabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 13:10   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
The service advisermentioned that new Safari is going to be launched next year, that will be based on the Discovery platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post

This news has just made my day, just yesterday I was telling my friend will think of replacing my Ertiga when it completes 5-7 yrs,( Now it has completed 4 yrs ) the only option for me was Hexa or the new Compass, but this news has ignited a fire in me. Can live with the Ertiga till these are launched.

I am sure the new Tata wont leave any stone un-turned here too, FCA's new 2.0 liter engine, 6 spead manual with automatic, ride quality and Harmon's Speaker setup will be the standard things to expect from these. Lets wait and watch what are the additional things they plonk in.
Old 22nd August 2017, 13:46   #177
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Another 7 seater SUV by Tata Motors in making, sharing the same engine as there in Jeep Compass and with cues from Discovery Sport!

http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news...-rivals-405736

If the news has merit, has Tata Motor accepted the failure of the heavy underpinning of the Hexa? FY'19 is not far. Smell cannibalization for such a capable product (overlapping price band)

I hope the two 7 seaters would co-exist and address different segments, but how

Last edited by kbishwa : 22nd August 2017 at 13:53. Reason: Editorial
Old 22nd August 2017, 13:58   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Another 7 seater SUV by Tata Motors in making, sharing the same engine as there in Jeep Compass and with cues from Discovery Sport!

http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news...-rivals-405736

If the news has merit, has Tata Motor accepted the failure of the heavy underpinning of the Hexa? FY'19 is not far. Smell cannibalization for such a capable product (overlapping price band)

I hope the two 7 seaters would co-exist and address different segments, but how
While this is pure wild imagination, Tata can have the same strategy as Toyota does with Innova and Fortuner. Both are 7 seaters and both co-exist in the same portfolio at slightly different price points and cater to different buyers. I hope you understand what I am trying to mean.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 00:00   #179
A M
BHPian

Cannibalisation is bound to happen if two products are available in a similar price range. But both the products will appeal to different buyers. While Hexa is a designed as MUV, the new product will be a SUV which makes a case for different audience. And since the new car is based on LR Discovery, it is safe to say it will be a monocoque while Hexa is a ladder frame construction. That will be the second distinguishing factor. Let's take Suzuki's case. They have 'n' number of hatchbacks at overlapping price points. Cannibalisation happens but every model has a differentiating factor and that's what makes them appeal to different set of buyers.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 09:13   #180
Senior - BHPian

From concept to implementation, things are moving quite slow at Tata's. It is true that product development takes time yet the slow paced recolonization of the inherent problem with their India strategy and corrective actions are not enough as of now.

It cannot be a top down approach as perceived instead its a paradigm shift which is required at Tatas. They have a healthy portfolio even now, yet the marketing strategy is too poor to bring about change. The products are selling on their merit and performance; Tata's marketing & strategy teams are playing a very peripatetic role !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks