Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 11:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea Classic launched at 5.99 Lakhs

Whats WRONG with this car industry! Instead of offering something additional & adding value, they're slashing prices (by compromising features) Left-right & center!!! Has the industry forgotten they're in a business where people deeply value the final product!?

I didn't expect this, especially from Fiat! With the handling & build quality their cars offered, they turned regular people to enthusiasts! They're the company that makes cars that people genuinely 'connect' to!

The HEAVY Linea was already just about 'OK' with 90PS, and now they're ruining it by toning it down to 75PS with an FGT!

At MOST, we want MORE for the same price! Not MUCH less at a slightly less price!

Give us stock Sat-Nav, Add the Cruise Control Feature, Add leather seats, 'Awesomise' the Service experience. Make owning a car a comfort worth indulging.

I'm no expert and YET I listed these down, these guys have Market Research, R&D Resources in Expertise and what further not!

IMHO Shows how non-imaginative the Auto-industry has been rendered.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 26th September 2013 at 11:30.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 12:44   #32
BANNED

I am of the opinion that we must appreciate Fiat for this move. They are giving such a nice car for really good price now. I know some features are missing, but that's ok i guess. You can't expect all features at that price for such car. I hope they will sell much more cars than now. I am sure they have not compromised on handling part. So its really great car at that price. Also its the longest car in that segment now. People can add accessories like good audio, bigger tires, alloys, spoiler, navigation system as per their own choice with the saved money. That will make car better
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 13:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Their video advert is out. just saw it on Fiat India FB page

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 13:39   #34
BHPian

One look at the classic and its specs and one feels, this is another dud from FIAT.
Why dont they just discontinue the 1.4. Someone rightly said, the resale is miserable, you can find them going for peanuts in the used car market.

And to add to their own miseries, they have only included the FGT, which doesnt do justice to the chassis.
bruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 13:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

So true Deetjohn! i think the majority of us would agree that despite everything else she has always been a great looking car and this aspect takes a hit with the Classic. Easily solved nevertheless - just upgrade to 16 inches and that part will be resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

But the car looks very ungainly in those 14" wheels and huge ground clearance. Till now, no one had any complaints on how a Linea looked on the outside. I am afraid this one is going to change that. I feel Fiat is targeting the wrong segment.
Old 26th September 2013, 14:44   #36
BHPian

They have included the brochure on their website. The brochure includes the features, specifications, fuel consumption details of the car.

One can find the details here: https://www.fiat-india.com/brochures/classic_linea.pdf

source: http://www.fiat-india.com/
Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 15:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967'stang View Post
This car simply looks the same from outside. But the inside somehow looks cheaper than the maruti 800. I know it looks tantalisingly big from the outside. There is one big advantage however- You can tell your friends it is a big car. And very few people will notice the tiny classic badge. Hardly anyone will know you were searching for a punto and you ended up buying a linea. So this move is essentially a move where they did not downgrade the car by itself.

OT- planning to buy a linea. classic OR current OR facelift. All 3 fall in my budget. Maybe i will be able to buy a punto after the classic
To me it is an official way to make a beautiful car look ugly, as ugly as it may get. This car will NOT give a feel of Punto 90hp from the inside. It will same ugly and cheap feel what you get in Logan. No idea how many will sell as Taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
While everyone including me were expecting Fiat to launch Abarth and next gen Linea & Punto, here comes a stripped down version of Fiats 'Admiration Guaranteed' model.

Well, IMO they must have some plans and should be launching new Linea (which has been caught testing already) quickly to ensure brand Linea is not diluted.
Business and management is NOT the core area from Fiat. They simply do not understand a simple logic "Learn from Mistakes". They make multiple mistakes in a sequence. This is another disaster. I doubt if this Classic thing will sell.

The most reasonable car to launch was Fiat Panda. I test drove the car in Florence (brief review and Pic coming soon), and I must say it was the most reasonable car to build up the slow market. The Panda with heavy GC, 4x4, Dual power steering (first in segment), is an amazing car for Indian city as well as highway. The car is small yet versatile, one TD can make you irresistible.

If nothing then at least the Evo Punto. But no, these guys are hell bent to close down their shop while trying to clear the inventory.

Let me tell you one thing about Abarth (I test drove a 500 Abarth, review, pic and video once the log is ready) and I should say the car will NOT sell here. Not bcoz the car is bad or something, but simply bcoz it is an overkill for average Indians. No matter what the mileage is, people will be judgemental without owning one, and will hush away even without checking the answer to question of century "Kitna Deti Hai". BTW with benzene in a cramped city the 500 Abarth gives 12 kmpl. No matter how much Fiat cry about this figure, there wont be any taker.

I hope they do not make mistake of bringing Abarth now, this is a wrong timing and it may die the same death as that of Palio 1.6/T-Jet.
Speed Pujari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 16:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

For people who are commenting that it is sluggish, has anyone test driven it. Fiat would be really dumb to have tuned the classic the way they have the current 90 hp Linea which is dead from 1000-1600 rpm. However, they have mentioned that they retuned the engine for better driveability. The drive should be as good as the Punto 75 hp one if not better.

One can only know after driving it.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 18:46   #39
BHPian

One of the key criteria for me while picking up the Linea was that it should be a new launch. Most car manufacturers have a product life cycle for a car for about 5 years. I personally find the older model looking too outdated after a new refreshed model is launched. Fiat is doing what some Indian car manufacturers have started doing. Sell the old model alongside the refreshed one albeit at a lower price. Some even change the name of the new model altogether.

Hyundai launched the Accent in India under the original name and the later models were named Verna here whereas it was globally a replacement for the old model.

Other Examples
Skoda Octavia - Laura
Suzuki Alto - A Star
Ford Fiesta - Fiesta Classic/New Fiesta
Hyundai i10 - i10 Grand

The new Linea is launched in the other markets where Fiat sells this car. It will be launched soon here. There have been test mules spotted around Pune - Ranjangaon where Fiat India has it's manufacturing Plant. I am guessing that Fiat has saved that for the Auto Expo 2014. I really hope the new Linea has a powerful engine. I however have my doubts and feel that they will only make slight exterior changes. Add some gadgetry and repackage their bread and butter MJD Engine. Since the engine with the VGT will be tuned for roughly about 90 PS they have detuned the older engine in The Classic Fiesta
and replaced the VGT with a FGT. This is to keep a differentiation in the power between the classic and the New Linea. I don't think they will get the 1.6 engines thanks to our government's excise tax slabs based on engine displacements which increases the cost substantially.

I really hope that Fiat makes the Punto more powerful and a fun to drive car. Somewhat of a hot Hatch in the Indian context.

I am refraining from using the term, Punto Abarth. They will not get the famed Abarth Tuned Engine to India. The Abarth has the Multiair Turbo charged engined tuned for 165 PS and there is the option to go for the Esseesse kit which improves performance in an already sweet car.

Phew I am dreaming!

I don't think Fiat can get that over here. It will prove to be too expensive to import the engines. They however can plonk the Linea TJet's Turbo charged Petrol Engine in the Punto. A 114 PS hatch will still be a petrol head's dream and can be a so called Hot Hatch in India. This may be a small market but it will at least create a buzz for the brand.

It may seem that I am too critical of Fiat over here. I Love my car and the brand. I am only disappointed that Fiat India couldn't capitalise on such good products as the Linea and the Punto. They are at the bottom of the table in car sales. The figures are too dismal to recover even the operational costs. They are surving only because the parent Italian Giant is willing to invest in the Indian market.

Personally I am glad that the current Linea will not be completely replaced but is getting relegated to a cheaper car to buy. My car will not look too outdated now but will move down a segment below.

The Linea classic is not going to sell! For others it is an old car which no one bought and is now stripped of some important features including that of safety. I hope I am wrong.
RajBajwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 19:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

That would definitely be entitled to a "hot hatch"badge , atleast by Indian standards , and i for one would love to see one of those on the road , the buzz generation however is two fold , while enthusiasts will appreciate it Fiat will have to do its own share of work to make it popular or atleast increase the awareness , VW did it with their TSI as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajBajwa View Post
They however can plonk the Linea TJet's Turbo charged Petrol Engine in the Punto. A 114 PS hatch will still be a petrol head's dream and can be a so called Hot Hatch in India. This may be a small market but it will at least create a buzz for the brand..
Old 26th September 2013, 20:12   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fiat has actually destroyed the Linea brand with this move. Now, in the eyes of the layman, the Linea is a car that starts @ 5.99 lakhs. The facelift at a 2 - 3 lakh premium has its work cut out.

Consider Ford's approach: They first launched the new Fiesta, then removed the "Fiesta" badge from the old car, simply calling it the Classic.

Similarly, Fiat should have brought in the facelift, and rebadged the cheaper / older Linea as simply the Classic (or something similar).
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 20:19   #42
BHPian

Considering the length of this car, the new Linea Classic is offered at superb price. But, In my opinion, If they really wanted to be more successful, they would have been trimmed the size of this car, provided better interiors, complete safety package etc.

For the price of Diesel Linea Classic Plus segment, people go around and choose the best performing, best mileage giving and not to forget the best interior, best safety available cars. For example, people would get the complete package in Swift Dzire ZDI for that price. So as, Ford Classic, Chevvy Sail, Tata Manza and Etios etc cars comes more or less for the price of Linea Classic Plus. The Extra benefit is, all those cars almost comes with complete package.

So, IMO, the chances are very minor for the success of these Linea Classic variants. However, Let's cross the fingers and wish the Fiat the best.

Bottom Line: If you love Fiat and wanna have a good Fiat car at the budget of Classic+, you better go and pick the Punto and live happy forever.
P.S: Ofcourse, Only If You could able to find good FASS.
Old 26th September 2013, 20:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Consider Ford's approach: They first launched the new Fiesta, then removed the "Fiesta" badge from the old car, simply calling it the Classic.

Similarly, Fiat should have brought in the facelift, and rebadged the cheaper / older Linea as simply the Classic (or something similar).

Actually Ford did follow the same route, when they launched the present Fiesta, they rechristened the older car "Fiesta Classic". Its only after a few months that the older car lost its name. Now we know how the present Fiesta is faring.

Fiat Linea Classic launched at 5.99 Lakhs-classic2.jpg
Old 26th September 2013, 22:58   #44
BHPian

Does fiat have a lot of money in their pockets that they start experimenting by subjecting their brands to words like "economical" and "less power"and "taxi"?

If they chose to go guns blazing with a good lineup it would have really won the hearts of many. Current owners of linea aren't going to appreciate this, it's like apple phone wars iPhone5 to iPhone 5s, except this time it's a downgrade from the previous version. Its been such a long time since the linea was given a facelift and they chose this as their marketing move.

Hmm maybe fiat has low change and they are just making up for it.

On a serious note fiat please launch the 1.6 engine in India.
Old 26th September 2013, 23:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please explain how 14" wheels instead of 15" ones are gonna help FIAT here? They save on the amount spent on the extra steel required to make a 15" wheel??
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks