Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 19:31   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
BMW has launched a special edition called the M Performance Edition of the 1 Series, in an attempt to increase sales of the car. The new M Performance Edition includes modifications such as sportier bumpers, black front grill, rear spoiler with fins, black or white racing stripes and M Performance lettering for the side sills.

The 1 Series hatchback has received a lukewarm response by the Indian car buyers due to its unimpressive looks, poorly kitted lower variants and a high price tag. With this new launch BMW is leveraging the popularity of its M Performance Division to generate interest for the 1 Series, which has been facing some stiff competition by its chief rival brands - the Mercedes A Class, which comparatively sells higher volumes, and the soon to be launched Audi A3 sedan.

The all India ex-showroom prices are as follows –

The BMW 116i M Performance Edition: INR 22,65,000
The BMW 118d M Performance Edition: INR 25,60,000
The BMW 118d Sport M Performance Edition: INR 28,55,000
The BMW 118d Sport Plus M Performance Edition: INR 32,50,000

Link to news article
All this is pointless without a straight-six engine! Give us the 135i, BMW, and you will be forgiven for the way the 1-Series looks.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 11:59   #92
Senior - BHPian

Add a 4 lakh rupees discount and the BMW 116i comes out to be at the same cost as Skoda Octavia DSG. Which one would you buy for our congested cities and urban driving keeping Skoda's notorious reputation in mind?
Old 2nd August 2014, 14:34   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Add a 4 lakh rupees discount and the BMW 116i comes out to be at the same cost as Skoda Octavia DSG. Which one would you buy for our congested cities and urban driving keeping Skoda's notorious reputation in mind?
Well, you'd choose something that offers the best of both worlds. Considering how poorly kitted out the 116i is, the Skoda makes a very compelling case for itself, size notwithstanding. But to answer your question, as someone who considered both those cars, I chose the Vento TSI. Not the same price range, I know, but I didn't mind saving the money, got DSG and direct injection turbo power and a manageable size. The compromise was missing the superb handling of the BMW.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 21:51   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Well, you'd choose something that offers the best of both worlds. Considering how poorly kitted out the 116i is, the Skoda makes a very compelling case for itself, size notwithstanding. But to answer your question, as someone who considered both those cars, I chose the Vento TSI. Not the same price range, I know, but I didn't mind saving the money, got DSG and direct injection turbo power and a manageable size. The compromise was missing the superb handling of the BMW.
The poor kit is what they have tried to address with these performance edition. I will take a look tomorrow and update you.
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:01   #95
Senior - BHPian

Overpriced, but this is one car I wish they offered in the US. Because: RWD and small hatchback. Killer combination. Should be fun to throw into corners.

WAY overpriced though.
Old 10th August 2014, 17:38   #96
BHPian

Interesting thread. I have been considering all the cars mentioned here and I am getting more and more convinced by the Skoda Octavia. Should mention that I own a 9 year old Ford Fusion that I plan to replace or upgrade.

My verdict on the BMW
1. I would like to rev the car hard and drive it probably once or twice a week and have fun doing that. Not the tail end out kind of fun but the "put on a good track on the iTunes and cruise" kind of fun.
2. Cheap looking fake metal in the base variant was a big problem.
3. Black interior I like but the Fabric feel is not great. Current cars are Black in and out.
4. No USB, Bluetooth in base variant and the next one makes it feel like a car from 2006. Kind of rules out the Music unless you are burning CDs every day.
5. If you need all the goodies, you are stuck with a diesel with no rear space, small boot, and a noisy motor.
6. The base 3 series model starts looking tempting from this point on as the price difference is very little.

As a result considering the A3 or Octavia 1.8 TSi, sadly no RWD. Would have loved it if BMW could just get one Manual Petrol version with all the good stuff in it and sell it to people who like to drive but don't drive that much.
Old 10th August 2014, 18:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Interesting thread.

My verdict on the BMW

As a result considering the A3 or Octavia 1.8 TSi, sadly no RWD. Would have loved it if BMW could just get one Manual Petrol version with all the good stuff in it and sell it to people who like to drive but don't drive that much.
Do yourself a favor and buy BMW X1 or Audi A3. I was in same boat and changed my booking from Skoda. Buy the badge and peace of mind that comes with it.
Old 13th August 2014, 08:26   #98
BHPian

Over-priced - poorly spec'd (how much does an armrest cost?!) , 116i as the only petrol option, 120d Sport+ cost as much as a 320d Sport (w/disc) Dec 13'. It's like they want the 1 to fail

I too would forgive them if they brought the 135i (M-Sport and Nav) with the facelift. Limited edition? 10 cars?!
Old 14th August 2014, 17:33   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and buy BMW X1 or Audi A3. I was in same boat and changed my booking from Skoda. Buy the badge and peace of mind that comes with it.
Will surely look into the A3. It's tempting. Specially since the Audi gets everything in Black from the base variant.

Although I will have to disagree on the X1 as setting the driver's seat position to my preference, and I am short, the rear has marginally more legroom than the Series 1. This coupled with the fact that x1 has no AWD / 4WD, seems like just a fake SUV. Add to this the added height and bulk and the generic difficulty to drive and park that comes along with it. Then add the nice black interior and you are much higher up in the price range.

Planning a back to back test drive. Frankly if the new Yeti was here, it would have been a no brainer. It probably would get almost all the gadgets from the Octavia and will be a shorter AWD vehicle which one can dip in mud. Although I have heard many horror stories about Skoda and Ford service here, I know at least 10 fellows who own a Skoda and not a single complaint from them, and I own two Fords.
Old 14th August 2014, 18:12   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will surely look into the A3. It's tempting. Specially since the Audi gets everything in Black from the base.

Planning a back to back test drive. Frankly if the new Yeti was here, it would have been a no brainer. It probably would get almost all the gadgets from the Octavia and will be a shorter AWD vehicle which one can dip in mud. Although I have heard many horror stories about Skoda and Ford service here, I know at least 10 fellows who own a Skoda and not a single complaint from them, and I own two Fords.
I know a lot of ppl who smoke but don't have cancer. But that doesn't mean I should ignore the problems that come with smoking.

And Ford and Skoda are not comparable.
Old 14th August 2014, 18:51   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Hang on for a month or so, the FL Yeti is due around then. Either way if you book any of the cars you considering you will be waiting longer than that
Old 17th August 2014, 13:01   #102
BHPian

Quote:
I know a lot of ppl who smoke but don't have cancer. But that doesn't mean I should ignore the problems that come with smoking
Compelling motoring argument I must say. Anyway since I cam not going for the BMW, it does not belong in this thread anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hang on for a month or so, the FL Yeti is due around then. Either way if you book any of the cars you considering you will be waiting longer than that
Skoda dealers are hopeful about the Yeti FL coming in next month but probably with the same interior kit as it has now. VW dealers are confused about their own cars Taigun and Tiguan, apparently even google search is confused.

Will post my 10 year report for the Fusion soon and include the 3 year long replacement process in that.
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:00   #103
BHPian

BMW does a reverse April Fools prank at New Zealand.
They ran and april fools ad asking to ask for tom at the showroon. Rest below -

Old 18th June 2015, 21:35   #104
Senior - BHPian

Just went through the entire thread, what everyone mentioned was so true. The car hardly sold and is currently being offered at a Rs 6 lakh discount.
Old 20th September 2015, 21:46   #105
BHPian

I was stuck behind 118d in slow moving traffic for well over 10 mins . Its very very rare to sight 118d in Pune.
I would really like to buy a pre-owned piece some day

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks