Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

With these prices, Mercs strategy of launching the A - class in only one trim that is top of the line seems to make sense. For those going for just the badge (neo-rich that are truly driving Audi sales) the A class is an absolute looker that matters I think. Inspite the feature to feature comparison of the underpinnings putting 1 on top as the better drivers car (I suspect this) A will sell anyday with just one variant.

P.s. - am not saying 1 won't sell. A few those who can't afford a bigger car and want the affordable stripped down car simply to own a piece of the badge will definitely get the 1 I guess.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 3rd September 2013 at 18:19.
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:42   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report

Note from Mod:

The first post of this thread has been updated with pictures & a launch report.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:46   #18
BHPian

I Almost hate to say it but the hard plastics on the centre console and the dashboard look as if they are directly brought over from the Fiat Uno!

But on the positive side, there's finally a BMW within my budget (or to be more technically correct- a BMW which will be in my budget in the next 2-3 years).
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:51   #19
Team-BHP Support

Just saw the pictures. Again what I said, the base model is shockingly bare. No arm rest? Where do you rest your arms in an automatic transmission? The manual AC and the audio system look like from the early 90's BMW 3 series.
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I have to agree the base variant 116i looks pretty sad but then again, it still comes with things the "full spec" A class doesn't, such as park sensors. Either way, it's clearly been stripped to upsell customers to the higher end variants.

The 118d sport really has nothing sporty to it if it comes with the stock front bumper with its boring design. At least this ought to answer the queries we had earlier about why would you pay 4lakhs more for the sport plus variant. Suddenly it all makes sense.

Edit: a few more observations...the el-cheapo made in India front seats on the base car look pretty sad and will be nowhere near as comfy as the front seats in the higher end variant. Also, the jacked-up ride height looks a bit awkward, as with all cars here. And whose bright idea was it to stick those go faster stripes across the sun roof?! Lastly, I prefer the look of the alloys on the base car to the sport model, though the sport plus has the best of the three IMO.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 3rd September 2013 at 20:06.
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:28   #21
BHPian

My $ .02.

1. Interiors & exteriors look cheap: lack of features and extreme cost cutting is clearly visible. From outside, the car looks as if it's trying to please everybody. No MID on the base variant. Are you kidding me? For god's sake a fabia has it.

2. While the engines are good, the Sport missing as top end is another dampener.

3. The pricing isn't good either & a 10 Lac diff won't bode well with customers.

4. At 35L on-road, it isn't cheap. But it will have the same image a Nano has. That of being the poor man's BMW. Wonder how many would want that.

The only + point. RWD. But then, if all one wants is driving pleasure. A stage 2 Laura would do well, with better equipment.

But then again, that's my opinion. Better to spend 5 more and get a Q3. More power, more torque, more gadgets, more status, AWD, space etc. And those DRL's which scream Audi from a mile sway. Added here is a small comparo between Base diesels of 1S and Q3 and top diesels 1S and Q3. Go figure.

PS: Do note that the "Base Grade" is only a name, it is not the base model. It is the top diesel actually. Also Link to comparo:

BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report-.jpg
BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report-part1.jpg
searchingheaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:38   #22
BHPian

An Urban mobility vehicle with a pleasing driving attitude. I'd say, this would appeal to the office going youth who drives to the office himself. However, BMW should not have omitted the driver's armrest . This being mainly a driver's car, it is an essential component for driving comfort and would be sorely missed. However, if i'd be able to get hold of a OEM armrest, it would be a good everyday use car, however I would avoid taking my family along. Now with the armrest solved, I don't believe I would miss the i-Drive sorely. It clearly isn't worth 10 lakh. Another 30-40K and I could easily get leather upholstery done all around. Finally a car for the driver. Before this, anybody in that price range would have gone for a Superb or a Accord.But now, a person looking for a car for the office run, this should be perfect with its minimal proportions, fantastic German build quality and sheer driving pleasure. BMW- can we have a stronger engine, maybe the 125i you offer elsewhere.
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:53   #23
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed launch report. Very comprehensive indeed!

1 Series is a bit of disappointment to me. The base version is too plain vanilla for 20+ lacs INR. Exterior looks similar to i20 to me and interiors are two segments lower category. Reminds me of a thread related to 'Luxury cars losing their exclusivity'.

It would however make a good buy for 10 odd lacs 2-3 years down the line.
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:54   #24
BHPian

Really awfully cheap and ridiculous base variant. They talk about driving pleasure and have no proper petrol model!
To me also the car makes sense to be bought used in 2-3 years of time.

Another thing related to cost cutting, the India spec MID is smaller than the German one!

Here is a picture of my rental 116i with a much up-class looking and bigger display!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report-aimg_1663.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2013, 21:22   #25
BHPian

There seems to be a tactic in place to eventually jack up the price of the 3/C/A4..anyone remember what price the E class was launched at? 25 lacs! Today you can get a decent spec one for 50! I realise technology etc has gone up but this is criminal. I was actually thinking of buying the 1 series but a sparingly used 3 will cost as much as a brand new 118d Sport plus with more features !!
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
My $ .02.

1. s my opinion. Better to spend 5 more and get a Q3. More power, more torque, more gadgets, more status, AWD, space etc. And those DRL's which scream Audi from a mile sway. Added here is a small comparo between Base diesels of 1S and Q3 and top diesels 1S and Q3. Go figure.

PS: Do note that the "Base Grade" is only a name, it is not the base model. It is the top diesel actually. Also Link to comparo:
Good comparo
Think on this now! The Yeti is the Q3's twin sister under the skin, specifically taking the engine of the S Variant which develops 103KW or 140 BHP. And what's more, the Yeti gets AWD vs the Q3 S's FWD!

A sensible bloke would seriously consider the Yeti Elegance instead of this Q3 S!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd September 2013 at 21:28.
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Think on this now! The Yeti is the Q3's twin sister under the skin, specifically taking the engine of the S Variant which develops 103KW or 140 BHP. And what's more, the Yeti gets AWD vs the Q3 S's FWD!

A sensible bloke would seriously consider the Yeti Elegance instead of this Q3 S!
Absolutely spot on, Sir. . But remember, the keyword is 'sensible'. Most would do a double back on seeing the BMW tag.( Since for most of the prospective owners, it would be their first 'high-profile car'.)
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:46   #28
BHPian

Really shocked to see the el-cheapo interiors of the base variants of the 1 series. God even a Hyundai Verna which costs less than half than what the BMW does offers more interior goodies. BMW if you are listening, you will be getting mostly first time luxury car buyers as the customers of the BMW 1 series base variants, and is this the way to welcome in people who are in majority cases bound to climb higher up your chain? Shame on you.
And what is the 9 lakh rupee price gap between the top end and the bottom end? Do xenons, led tail lamps, I-drive, automatic seats and leather seats cost so much for BMW to manufacture?
All in all IMHO it is a wonderful product which is horribly let down by its price.
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:49   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

The 1 Series has all the basics right, 50-50 weight distribution, RWD, just the right amount of power etc, but on the interior design, it disappoints. I guess they couldn't go for a more convincing price tag because of the recent currency fluctuations and increase of input costs, but the least they could've done is give a basic armrest and a brighter beige interiors for the entry level variant. The Euro spec version has bone white Alcantara fabric for the seats which enhances the feeling of space and looks so much better. The panels also could've been given a black/beige combination finish. The silver insets as pointed also look too big and could've been replaced with a wood-finish plastic panel.

People who choose a BMW love to drive, so I'm not complaining for lack of iDrive or Bluetooth or sunroof. They just could've made the interiors as nice as the exterior so that people who want a BMW experience are more satisfied with their buy. Obviously most of those who do buy entry variants have a ceiling on the price. In anycase, hope the company improves upon it in time. As of now, its not a lot of kit for the price. What I don't doubt it has though, is loads of Freude am Fahren.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post

Absolutely spot on, Sir. . But remember, the keyword is 'sensible'. Most would do a double back on seeing the BMW tag.( Since for most of the prospective owners, it would be their first 'high-profile car'.)
For me buddy the Yeti is my first 'high profile' car. But then, we are regular standard people, quite unlike those privileged wallahs suffering from elephantiasis of the bank-roll coupled with a marked lack of good taste!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks