Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:43   #466
BHPian

Re: The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)

So yesterday, I excitedly showed my mom the first look video of Zica by Zigwheels. She asked which is this car, I told Zica. Her first reaction on seeing the car was: "This is Indica"! I actually had to convince her that this is a different car.

I believe it is not the looks. Anything with Tata badge is Indica. Just like any mp3 player is iPod.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 18:56   #467
BHPian

Anything fiat is padmini, anything mahindra is jeep but they have been able to change the game. So i am hopeful that tata is going to make zica the game changer

just googled, tata registered zica and sway with some meanings explained in the following link.

http://motoroctane.com/news/14945-ta...and-sway-names

"Zica on the other hand means hypen, which could even mean extension"
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:00   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy View Post
this looks good but is it just me or this car still has not been able to get rid of its age old cousin indica looks ?
It's just you. Put any other emblem on the grill and no one will say it is even remotely related to Indica.

Would love to be shown even a single feature or panel which says Indica. Tata sure seems to have inflicted a lot of self-damage with the Indica baggage in this 'follow-the-herd-sheep' country of ours.

I stopped reading Indian auto mags a long time ago, but Bertrand D'souza sure seems to be paid off well by a worried competitor! Time to troll him on Twitter.

Last edited by Viju : 3rd December 2015 at 19:02.
Viju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:07   #469
BHPian

Quote:
this looks good but is it just me or this car still has not been able to get rid of its age old cousin indica looks ? Never the less provided that the car is priced right it should be able to sell in decent numbers as it looks fresh and is a design which pleases most eyes and not a hate it love it kind of design.
Hmm.. you can't make up your mind? It is either fresh or Indica like, how can it be both? But I think it's just your eyes, there's nothing that reminds us of Indica in Zica.
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:25   #470
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Hmm.. you can't make up your mind? It is either fresh or Indica like, how can it be both? But I think it's just your eyes, there's nothing that reminds us of Indica in Zica.
To me, it looks dimension wise similar to the original Indica. The stance is also strikingly similar. The claimed high kerb weight also does not seem to suggest a grounds up new platform (Modern platforms would likely be significantly lighter). I would suspect that it is the same platform, heavily re-engineered and re-skinned inside & outside. However, even then it isn't a bad thing - customer understanding of cars is rarely beyond skin deep. For the uninitiated, this is as good as a brand new product.
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:46   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
To me, it looks dimension wise similar to the original Indica. The stance is also strikingly similar. The claimed high kerb weight also does not seem to suggest a grounds up new platform (Modern platforms would likely be significantly lighter). I would suspect that it is the same platform, heavily re-engineered and re-skinned inside & outside. However, even then it isn't a bad thing - customer understanding of cars is rarely beyond skin deep. For the uninitiated, this is as good as a brand new product.
Well, it is the same platform - albeit heavily re-engineered, Tata have been rather candid about that fact. The kerb weight bit, I - personally - can't be sure, in India, what constitutes modern construction & what is a result of blatant & possibly lethal cost cutting. I'd rather go with the heavier car - but that's just me. Also, if you compare it to, say - the Polo, the weight of the Zica is at par. The Polo is marginally heavier.
da_lowrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:49   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
About this guy tweeting,

He lost all credibility with the first tweet...
"the most innovative thing I have seen in a small car"... The pocket in the backseat.
And definitely biased.
Definitely.

It's not the first time 'someone' has tried to run negative publicity stunts against Tata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I stopped reading Indian auto mags a long time ago, but Bertrand D'souza sure seems to be paid off well by a worried competitor! Time to troll him on Twitter.
+1. Such guys make us value the T-BHP reviews more!

Some of his tweets -

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-1.jpg

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-2.jpg

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-3.jpg

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-4.jpg

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-5.jpg

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-6.jpg

The Tata Zica Hatchback (aka Kite)-7.jpg
Dry Ice is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:52   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I hope you got your query answered by the SRH above.
Yes i did make a mistake in quoting fresh and indica together but it does look similar the stance , the speedo console , the rear windshield , uses the same petrol engine minus a pot which was used in tata indica XETA (just in case you are unaware of) and rest is all hand down from its elder sibling zest & bolt . The front fender and headlamps esp though tata engineers have worked
real hard in hiding the Indica genes they are visible.
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:06   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Yes i did make a mistake in quoting fresh and indica together but it does look similar the stance , the speedo console , the rear windshield , uses the same petrol engine minus a pot which was used in tata indica XETA (just in case you are unaware of) and rest is all hand down from its elder sibling zest & bolt . The front fender and headlamps esp though tata engineers have worked
Hey, I think you've made a mistake here, the diesel is the CR4 minus a cylinder (but heavily reworked). The petrol, is all new man, the Xeta petrol engine is the base for the Revotron in the Bolt & the Zest. Think about it, the Zeta used a 4cyl 1.2l engine, knock of a cylinder, you can't be still be left with 1.2l right? Also this engine is all aluminium, hence much lighter and has 4 valves per cylinder as opposed to the Zeta's 2. Oh, and going by some reports, this is TMs first engine featuring variable valve timing.

Last edited by da_lowrider : 3rd December 2015 at 20:28. Reason: error
da_lowrider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:16   #475
BHPian

Why negative feedback by only one person on twitter? Why not by any other person? :what:
shravan2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:15   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
this engine is all aluminium, hence much lighter and has 4 valves per cylinder as opposed to the Zeta's 2.
This is indeed a brand new engine, and much lighter one at that. Zest / Bolt revotron is the old generation engine with turbo slapped on.

I am quite a fan of the turbo-petrol and the way it pulls in the meaty power of rev band. Just hope Tata add turbo to the new 4 valve engine! We'll probably have a home-grown hot hatch then!!
ksameer1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:19   #477
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Well, it is the same platform - albeit heavily re-engineered, Tata have been rather candid about that fact. The kerb weight bit, I - personally - can't be sure, in India, what constitutes modern construction & what is a result of blatant & possibly lethal cost cutting. I'd rather go with the heavier car - but that's just me. Also, if you compare it to, say - the Polo, the weight of the Zica is at par. The Polo is marginally heavier.
I guess we agree on that. A bit of weight is better than compromise on safety for the sake of fuel efficiency. I too have the original Indica Xeta and still love both the ride and the torquey engine. Hope those characteristics remain but are taken a notch hire through better interiors and better handling.
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:29   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Hope those characteristics remain but are taken a notch hire through better interiors and better handling.
Well, based on what we've seen with the Zest & the Bolt, one would assume that it is the case, but we can only be sure once the reviews emerge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I am quite a fan of the turbo-petrol and the way it pulls in the meaty power of rev band. Just hope Tata add turbo to the new 4 valve engine! We'll probably have a home-grown hot hatch then!!
Not sure about a turbocharged version of this engine, but, I'm pretty confident there's a 4 cylinder 1.6l version of this engine lurking some where!

Last edited by da_lowrider : 3rd December 2015 at 22:34. Reason: added content
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:41   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I think you've made a mistake here, the diesel is the CR4 minus a cylinder (but heavily reworked). The petrol, is all new man, the Xeta petrol engine is the base for the Revotron in the Bolt & the Zest. Think about it, the Zeta used a 4cyl 1.2l engine, knock of a cylinder, you can't be still be left with 1.2l right? Also this engine is all aluminium, hence much lighter and has 4 valves per cylinder as opposed to the Zeta's 2. Oh, and going by some reports, this is TMs first engine featuring variable valve timing.
Talking to someone who knows a little bit more, it looks like its a 800-900 cc engine. Basically a cylinder knocked off from the 1.2 litre engine from Zest. This too has a turbo bolted on. It is also to be positioned between the Nano and the Indica so hopefully we can expect some attractive pricing from Tata
numerouno is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:41   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please go back and read this thread from the start, there is a lot of information about the car, specs included. Same Xeta engine sheesh, this is a brand spanking new one.

Quote:
This is the Indica platform with almost everything changed. Name anything other than the floor-pan and it is changed.

Also to help you out, go to the following post - very helpful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leymama View Post
For those who cannot see the difference....
I agree with these:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
It's just you. Put any other emblem on the grill and no one will say it is even remotely related to Indica.

Would love to be shown even a single feature or panel which says Indica. Tata sure seems to have inflicted a lot of self-damage with the Indica baggage in this 'follow-the-herd-sheep' country of ours.

I'm not sure if he is paid off or just astonishingly biased as a lot of Indians are against Tata passenger cars even when they are making an enormous and sincere effort to change.
VeluM is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks