Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 21:05   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan India : The Way Forward

Nissan to have 8 models for India by 2021.
Quote:
A majority of these will be Nissan as well as Datsun models and they will be locally produced at the Renault-Nissan Alliance plant outside Chennai. We already know that two of the vehicles are GT-R supercar and the X-Trail SUV which has been confirmed for an early 2017 launch. These two apart, each of these cars will be customised to suit the needs and tastes of the evolving Indian buyer
1. Redigo sedan - The first of these are expected to be compact sedans of which Nissan’s will be based on the Redigo

2. Redigo mini-SUV -Once the compact sedan is out, expect a compact SUV like vehicle which will sport straight lines, high stance and possibly taller wheels as compared to the Redigo.

3. Go Cross -This will be a larger SUV option to take on the entry-level B-segment vehicles. It will sport the body of the Go+ but with taller wheels, higher ground clearance and a body kit to signify the SUV credibility.

4.Updated Micra - Not the Global model - A updated version of the current car that will sport a revised design and cabin similar to the latest generation hatchback.

5.Updated Sunny -When Nissan updates the new Micra, it is also expected to update the Sunny sedan. It will remain the same mechanically but sports a new face, tail and obviously a completely new cabin.

6. Replacement for the Terrano -a locally made version of the Brazilian spec Kicks SUV and will slot into the same spot as the Terrano !

7. Nissan X-Trail -It will be their new premium SUV and arrive in by the start of the next financial year. This car will be a CBU and is expected to be priced above Rs 35 lakh.

8.Nissan GT-R - Nissan's halo product.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd January 2017 at 21:16.
Old 9th November 2017, 12:10   #152
Senior - BHPian

Found this article relevant to India as the Indian market was probably not taken as seriously by Nissan IMO.

Source :https://asia.nikkei.com/Japan-Update...ews_2017-11-09

Article :
Quote:
TOKYO -- A strategy dependent on North America is compounding Nissan Motor's earnings woes as growth in the region slows, revealing the full cost of neglecting emerging markets where demand is now booming.

The carmaker has lowered its operating profit forecast for the year ending March 2018 in anticipation of massive recall costs after unqualified workers were found to be conducting vehicle inspections. But April-September results reveal the more fundamental threat of stagnant business in North America, where Nissan rakes in nearly half its earnings. Operating profit there tumbled 42% on the year for the six months.

Nissan is far from the only Japanese automaker exposed to the North American market and the risks involved as sales growth there slows. But it relies more heavily on the region than many peers and lacks strength elsewhere to offset declining profits. Nissan's European operations fell into the red during the first half, while profit in Asia outside Japan slid 21%. Toyota Motor has offset sluggish North American business with robust operations in such regions as Europe and Asia, while Honda Motor has enjoyed growing motorcycle sales in emerging economies.

In the end, the U.S. does contribute greatly to sales volume and earnings, CEO Hiroto Saikawa told a news conference after earnings were presented Wednesday.

Failure to change

The "Nissan Power 88" management plan for the six years through fiscal 2016 presented a road map to an earnings structure less reliant on the U.S. and China. Building up business in emerging markets, including those in Asia and Latin America, was at the heart of this strategy.

The automaker eventually determined that expansions there were unlikely to succeed and poured resources into the U.S. anew. A weak yen in relation to the dollar helped lift its market share and earnings there even higher. But neglecting to bring new offerings to emerging nations or otherwise court new markets has put the automaker behind the game as emerging-market demand for autos has resurged.

The company is now trapped in a vicious cycle, unable to divert focus from its top market for fear of missing all-important earnings targets. "Nissan's North American earnings tend to improve at the end of the fiscal year, in the January-March quarter, and worsen in the following quarter, when a new fiscal year has begun," according to Takaki Nakanishi of the Nakanishi Research Institute. This pattern suggests that the automaker may be pulling out all the stops in the U.S. at the last minute to hit annual performance goals.

This rush comes at a cost. Nissan offers more than $4,000 in sales incentives on each vehicle it sells in the U.S. -- between $200 and $300 above the industry average and far higher than Toyota's $2,500 or Honda's $1,800. The automaker's American sales-financing business also faces a higher loan default rate than equivalent operations at Honda or Toyota. As American interest rates creep higher, this finance-heavy sales strategy could prove difficult to sustain.

(Nikkei)
Nissan missed the bus in India, a market where it could have made significant inroads.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th November 2017 at 12:14.
Old 8th June 2019, 16:07   #153
BHPian

End of Road in India for Renault-Nissan? Kicks performs atrociously in May.

Nissan India : The Way Forward-nissankickssalesterrano.jpg

I was at the sight of the sales numbers of the Kicks in May 2019. Now, Kicks is believed to be a crucial model which can make or break Nissan's fortunes here but we have been seeing that since launch, the car has never crossed the 3 digit mark and now this horrendous sales figure?

Is Nissan even interested in selling cars in India now or have they given up on the market? The marketing for Kicks has also dried up now.

On another note, one interesting thing to see is that both the newer models based on the Duster platform are doing much worse than the older ones. What could possibly be the reason since the newer models have more features and are much more contemporary?

Would love to hear other BHPians thoughts on this.

(Image source: Rushlane)

Cheers!

Last edited by ajmat : 8th June 2019 at 22:46.
porsche_guy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 08:47   #154
Senior - BHPian

Re: End of Road in India for Renault-Nissan? Kicks performs atrociously in May.

Nissan is competing in a price conscious market, they don't have the trust factor, brand value or premium feel in India. An average Indian buyer thinks it is just another brand like Maruti or Hyundai. This thought of an Indian consumer makes it tough for Nissan to compete against Maruti and Hyundai. I don't know how many of the existing Nissan owners would buy a Nissan vehicle again, same with Renault too. Look at this below scenario,
A much refined Ford Ecosport with A/T options or an AMT enabled Tata Nexon which is more spacious than Kicks is available at a much lower price. Where will you place your vehicle? Nissan or Renault have no clue to this riddle. A major revamp of their sales and marketing team is long due, it is up to them to change for survival in India.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 10:35   #155
BHPian

Nissan and even Renault were going the GM way all along. Can't you see the similarities?

1.None of their globally renowned vehicles launched here
2. Cheaper sister brand vehicles masquerading as parent brand products
3. Lower sales resulting in disgruntled dealers, which in turn reduces dealer network as well as sales & service quality
4. Lower business prospects results in lower confidence to invest and spend on new products
5. To top it all, the Nation's habit of sticking only to winner brands fearing lower resale price for marginal players (not ridiculing, this is actually a safer option and makes sense where the biggest spending for most families is a car after the house)

Hate to say this, but options seems very limited apart from a slow death for their Indian operations.
CoolFire is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 10:43   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Nissan and even Renault were going the GM way all along. Can't you see the similarities?

Hate to say this, but options seems very limited apart from a slow death for their Indian operations.
I had used these exact words in my escalation mail to Sumit Sawhney, the then India head for Renault. He ignored it in the success of Kwid. The comedy of errors before the launch of Captur was their second chance for a heads up and take corrective actions. I have worked under several failing top managements, one thing common among them is arrogance towards change of work culture.
deehunk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 10:44   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I don't know how many of the existing Nissan owners would buy a Nissan vehicle again, same with Renault too.
Here's your answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

If anyone is considering the Kicks, please do ponder over the terrible after-sales support provided by their horrible dealers. No Nissan owner I know of (myself included) has anything good to say about the after-sales service. They are AWFUL. Just keep that in mind before putting a million bucks on a new car. When my Sunny's extended warranty got over, I actually breathed a sigh of relief that I don't have to deal with them anymore.

The expiry of warranty coverage is never a good thing. It was, for a change, with my Sunny.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 11:44   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I don't know how many of the existing Nissan owners would buy a Nissan vehicle again, same with Renault too.
After owning the Micra for 9 years now, I can vouch for the product, but not for the company or the service centers. The product is excellent, but the service centers and dealership are pathetic. I would not go near a Nissan again, at-least not in India. I have also listed my ordeal with Landmark Nissan somewhere; so I can very much confirm that their dealers are good for nothing.

About the end of road for Nissan, well; that was to happen a long time ago. I am surprised that they managed to pull on for so long. And about the Nissan Kicks? They got everything wrong, right from the name itself! No surprise then, that it is a sales dud.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 01:49   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

And still Renault is arrogant or may i say foolish enough to not launch the next generation Duster in India! They are just launching a mere face-lift of the current Duster with BS6.
Am pretty sure, the Renault Triber will be a flop too.

With tricks a company cant taste success. Consumers are not fools. The biggest example -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-customer.html (The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian customer)

Hard-work and honesty pays. The best example they have are the Duster & Kwid. But that doesn't mean they will take Indian customers for granted.

Hope Nissan/Renault is reading this thread or if someone can mail this thread link to their top officials!

Last edited by Samba : 10th June 2019 at 02:08.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 02:05   #160
Senior - BHPian

I think Renault does not consider India as an important enough market. They fail to realize the potential and seem to be in another world. The market will give them a rude awakening.....but then some people don't learn...
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 02:15   #161
BHPian

They have a wonderful product feature which competition does not have - AWD ; Add automatic transmission which the kicks capture does not have. They have world class products but give third class products to india and terrible after sales with high cost spares. They will follow GM
Old 10th June 2019, 11:01   #162
BHPian

With just 79 Kicks sold in May, I was wondering whether they will able to recover the costs associated with the advertisements during this Cricket World Cup, what with the high rates for the slots during the matches. And Venue has been launched just at the right time during CWC and might steal the thunder from Nissan, if not already.
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:05   #163

The only Nissan dealer in Trivandrum - Marikar Nissan - has closed down. The building is being converted into a Kia showroom. The reviews about the dealer were mostly negative.

Funnily enough, Nissan's global digital technology development hub is located in the Trivandrum Technopark.
vadakkus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 11:20   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan India wholesales 8012 vehicles in June 2022.

Quote:
- Domestic wholesale of 3515 units
- Export wholesale of 4497 units
- Cumulative wholesale YTD growth of 20% on domestic and exports
Source
Old 4th July 2022, 13:14   #165
BHPian

In a sellers market, every manufacturer must be able to sell every car manufactured easily.

If not, the company will fade as soon as demand falls

Nissan is on thin ice if you ask me.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks