Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 23:55   #226
BHPian

Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesGirl View Post
Androdev,

The 7 has HDMI but I still prefer iPads, or if they can use some sort of streaming in car. There is an Android Tablet in car but I wish media from that (Youtube, etc.) could be mirrored on the rear view screens.

I Still am Unable to hook the Nintendo Switch for my niece and soon my daughter.
Interesting. I've never tried using the tablet in the back for streaming. Will give it a try next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If you do some research I am sure you'd find a solution. In my stone-age W221, I use an Android TV box connected to AUX AV, video comes on all screens, audio through car speakers. Reliance Jio 4G router for internet. My android phone works as a remote. Gets used extensively when kids travel with me.
The new 5 has a Blu-ray player, HDMI and Screencast. You can also get an Airplay adaptor for iOS devices. Or Chromecast for Android devices (if you don't want to use the native mirroring). That's what I've been using whenever I have a 7 for personal use. Works like a charm.
goingout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 00:36   #227
BHPian

androdev,

May ask how do you power the Android TV Box? I just cannot find a solution to power the 'Switch' in car and also how to keep it in place.

Quote:
an Android TV box connected to AUX AV, video comes on all screens, audio through car speakers. Reliance Jio 4G router for internet. My android phone works as a remote. Gets used extensively when kids travel with me.

goingout,

Any chance you work with BMW / Associated with them? May I know how and where can I get the Airplay Adaptor?

Thank you so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
You can also get an Airplay adaptor for iOS devices. Or Chromecast for Android devices (if you don't want to use the native mirroring). That's what I've been using whenever I have a 7 for personal use. Works like a charm.
Old 6th July 2017, 07:20   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
androdev,

May ask how do you power the Android TV Box? I just cannot find a solution to power the 'Switch' in car and also how to keep it in place.
I got lucky as I had an old 12 charger that was compatible with it, but I bought the android TV without knowing I had such a charger. My plan was to get a 12V laptop charger and use the regular wall charger with it. In my car all connections (12v socket and AV ports) are inside the glovebox - so there is no mess. In your case I would expect Nintendo Switch Dock to be connected to HDMI port of your car's display and use a 12v laptop charger (search amazon US for ratings and buy on amazon India) to power the dock, etc. Depending on the location of these ports, it might be clean or a bit messy.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 18:43   #229
Team-BHP Support

Took a test-drive of the luxury edition (520) today, by initial impressions, I am afraid BMW will have a tough time selling this against E-Class. There is virtually no change in the engine from the previous generation ( whatever I recollect from my last year ride of 520-D) and appears to be very ordinary. The Central screen does look good and so does Key but I doubt anyone will buy a Car for these gizmos.
A 40- K Samsung S3 Tab will give the similar experience. Even though it had variable dampers, there is not enough from the engine. Maybe I have not driven 4 cylinders in a while but I was expecting better. BMW will have to discount this car to get any numbers. Anyone considering purchase should definitely wait till Year-end for discounts or look at E-Class.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th July 2017 at 18:46.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 19:52   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Took a test-drive of the luxury edition (520) today, by initial impressions, I am afraid BMW will have a tough time selling this against E-Class. There is virtually no change in the engine from the previous generation ( whatever I recollect from my last year ride of 520-D) and appears to be very ordinary. The Central screen does look good and so does Key but I doubt anyone will buy a Car for these gizmos.
A 40- K Samsung S3 Tab will give the similar experience. Even though it had variable dampers, there is not enough from the engine. Maybe I have not driven 4 cylinders in a while but I was expecting better. BMW will have to discount this car to get any numbers. Anyone considering purchase should definitely wait till Year-end for discounts or look at E-Class.
You are not qualified to review 520D I have the older one and I liked it a lot at the time of purchase because it was my first luxury car. Now that I am a little bit more enlightened I see it for what it is. My point is first time luxury car buyers will like 520D just like how I did. For self-driving buyer who is looking to upgrade from Corolla/Jetta/Superb range, this car will definitely appeal more than E class. I bought 520D over E back then and I will do so again (with even more clarity)
androdev is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 20:40   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For self-driving buyer who is looking to upgrade from Corolla/Jetta/Superb range, this car will definitely appeal more than E class.
Yes but remember they also have a 3 series which does appear much larger than the previous generation and is equipped well. I will suggest you go and drive the new 5 series and then share your views whenever you get time. You are correct, since I have got used to 6 cylinders, my views may not be valid but they should have focussed more on drive/ engine in my opinion.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 00:09   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes but remember they also have a 3 series which does appear much larger than the previous generation and is equipped well. I will suggest you go and drive the new 5 series and then share your views whenever you get time. You are correct, since I have got used to 6 cylinders, my views may not be valid but they should have focussed more on drive/ engine in my opinion.
I drove the G30 for about 200 kms during a couple of test drives and I too have a similar impression like yours. I drove both the 520d and 530d, the 530d is a acceleration-champion undoubtedly but other then that if we consider every other aspect something just feels missing. The gesture feature for audio didn't work a couple of times and due to all the weight savings I was expecting it to handle better then a F30 but sadly it didn't, almost all of you may differ with me but my new XF which after looking at the 530d M Performance pic here I was in talks with the dealer from whom I took the XF (he has both JLR and BMW dealership and is a family friend) but just dropped the idea of doing it after spending time with it... LCI may change a lot of things for good as with most of the BMW models but this one other then an acceleration-champion didn't have much to offer.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 04:24   #233
BHPian

Quote:
androdev,

goingout,

Any chance you work with BMW / Associated with them? May I know how and where can I get the Airplay Adaptor?

Thank you so much.
Hey! I am associated with BMW as a Performance Driver. Although I must highlight I am only a contractor and everything I post on TBHP is unofficial and only my own opinion and learnings.

You can get the adaptor on Amazon. There are plenty. Just search for Airplay Adaptor.

Quote:
You are not qualified to review 520D I have the older one and I liked it a lot at the time of purchase because it was my first luxury car. Now that I am a little bit more enlightened I see it for what it is. My point is first time luxury car buyers will like 520D just like how I did. For self-driving buyer who is looking to upgrade from Corolla/Jetta/Superb range, this car will definitely appeal more than E class. I bought 520D over E back then and I will do so again (with even more clarity)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
I drove the G30 for about 200 kms during a couple of test drives and I too have a similar impression like yours. I drove both the 520d and 530d, the 530d is a acceleration-champion undoubtedly but other then that if we consider every other aspect something just feels missing. The gesture feature for audio didn't work a couple of times and due to all the weight savings I was expecting it to handle better then a F30 but sadly it didn't, almost all of you may differ with me but my new XF which after looking at the 530d M Performance pic here I was in talks with the dealer from whom I took the XF (he has both JLR and BMW dealership and is a family friend) but just dropped the idea of doing it after spending time with it... LCI may change a lot of things for good as with most of the BMW models but this one other then an acceleration-champion didn't have much to offer.
Very interesting points. I am also spoilt by the 3.0 sixes. But for most new buyers, that won't be the case. Look at how Audi discontinued the 3.0 and even the E350 is a rare sight. Most buyers never look past the 2.0 as that's all they need for daily driving. And on their own, the 2.0s are actually really good and fast enough to put a smile on your face.

No doubt the new E class has a huge legroom advantage. Just like how the Superb has massive legroom compared to an A4. I know people who still went against all basic logic and legroom requirements to get an A4. Purely because of the brand personality and overall happiness they felt in the Audi vs the Skoda. I believe the same would be the case between the new E and the new 5 if legroom was the main requirement. Heart vs the Head. In either case, the consumer wins as this competition is bringing out the best in all the brands.

I love the Jags. Have driven most of them. The new GST rates also look quite tempting. Maybe one day the MRF Challenge race car would be powered by their 2.0 petrol. But so far it's only a speculation. Would be pretty awesome if it happened. JA Motorsport who run the championship also do a lot of R&D for Tata and I believe they were involved in the development of the Ingenium engine.

Back to the topic. Do TD the 530d and try the sport mode. I had a 991.2 Carrera S as my daily for a week and the 530d took me by surprise when I jumped into it right after. Nothing like that 20% throttle torque liftoff

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th February 2019 at 15:23. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
goingout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 06:43   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do TD the 530d and try the sport mode.
Unfortunately, none of the dealers in North have one yet or at least I am not aware, any leads?
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 09:50   #235
BHPian

Has anyone got a chance to TD the 530d apart from @goingout? I haven't had a chance to go to the sole BMW dealer in Hyderabad so am not sure if they have a 530d for TD. Also, is there an official tbhp review planned for the new 5 series?
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 14:42   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
I know. He kept insisting that the only way people were getting such heavy discounts were because the cars were refurbished.

At 50 ex-showroom, I would be compelled to give it very very serious thought. Right now, the offer on the table is 57 ex-showroom. As for the upcoming 530d, the same guy said it should be 2 - 4 lacs more than the outgoing model.
Finally decided on the F10 530d M Sport after annoying the hell out of my wife and friends for a month. Got 16 lakhs off the on-road price here in Hyderabad. Negotiated a decent deal on a 4 year extended warranty plus 3 yr BSI as my running won't be high.

My other option was a 16 MY Audi S5 sportback with a couple of hundred kms on it for the same price. The head eventually won over the heart. Being based on the last gen B8 A4, the dated interiors and the colour they had also counted against it.

I did consider the G30 530d as well, but convinced myself the extra 15 lakhs weren't worth it. With the F10, I'll also feel less guilty about selling the car in 3 or 4 years.
deuce-deuce is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 20:28   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Seriously considering the 530i in Imperial Blue. The car seems to be an amazing package in terms of value and fun quotient compared to anything else out there in this price range: 0-100 in 6.2 seconds, launch control, remote control parking, sunroof, adaptive dampers, Et. Al.

However, the dealer says the petrol version is not "launched yet" and it may be almost two months before it can be delivered? This seems strange, since I thought BMW launched all variants at once last month!

Anyone tried to book the 530i yet and if so, what does delivery schedule you have been given look like?
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 22:03   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Seriously considering the 530i in Imperial Blue. The car seems to be an amazing package in terms of value and fun quotient compared to anything else out there in this price range: 0-100 in 6.2 seconds, launch control, remote control parking, sunroof, adaptive dampers, Et. Al.

However, the dealer says the petrol version is not "launched yet" and it may be almost two months before it can be delivered? This seems strange, since I thought BMW launched all variants at once last month!

Anyone tried to book the 530i yet and if so, what does delivery schedule you have been given look like?
I got the same strange reply about the 530i not being released from two dealers in Delhi and one in Bangalore. It seems from what one dealer told me that the diesel is going to be a hot seller and buyers won't really go for petrol. Funny that someone paying 55L+ would care so much about fuel consumption.
ac-cobra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 10:08   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce-deuce View Post
Finally decided on the F10 530d M Sport after annoying the hell out of my wife and friends for a month. Got 16 lakhs off the on-road price here in Hyderabad. Negotiated a decent deal on a 4 year extended warranty plus 3 yr BSI as my running won't be high.

My other option was a 16 MY Audi S5 sportback with a couple of hundred kms on it for the same price. The head eventually won over the heart. Being based on the last gen B8 A4, the dated interiors and the colour they had also counted against it.

I did consider the G30 530d as well, but convinced myself the extra 15 lakhs weren't worth it. With the F10, I'll also feel less guilty about selling the car in 3 or 4 years.
Am assuming this was for a brand new car. That is a great deal mate. Do you know if they have any more F10s available? What color did you get? When I last spoke to KUN, they told me they only had the car in white (IIRC). Have sent you a PM.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:20   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-cobra View Post
I got the same strange reply about the 530i not being released from two dealers in Delhi and one in Bangalore. It seems from what one dealer told me that the diesel is going to be a hot seller and buyers won't really go for petrol. Funny that someone paying 55L+ would care so much about fuel consumption.
The 530i goes into production this week. So, the availability at the showrooms can be expected by early August.

And I agree, for the price Vs. features 530i should be moving off the shelf at a good pace. Don't know why BMW dealer staff is push the diesels so hard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks