Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2014, 21:09   #1096
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
I as a Honda City user for past 4.5 years and Simultaneously an i10 ( Dad uses ) for the same time can say that Honda Service costs me even lower than an i10 right now. And the fact that the vehicle is so trouble free that my wife keeps saying that you might still be using your City after 10 years .
Same here. Even calculating time periods, my Honda city is substantially cheaper to maintain than my i10. Past 5.5 years, and completely niggle free. However, i am guessing Ciaz being a Maruti, would be substantially easy to maintain as well.
Old 4th September 2014, 21:42   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

The guys from AutoPortal have reviewed the Ciaz and report that while they were left unimpressed by the petrol, the diesel was a hoot to drive.

Quote:
The petrol Ciaz feels very powerful and makes lots of noise, but progress is not very brisk. It will keep up with traffic and will actually take you to three-digit speeds when pushed, but the drive does not feel very special.

The diesel engine on the other hand is quite a stonker. I do not recall many times in the past, when I have praised a diesel engine’s power delivery over petrol, but this time my heart goes totally to the diesel. The torque spread is fantastic, and the engine is also very quiet – competitors please note – and the power delivery is very linear.

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-ab59cbbbefa87118ad592c20364cee51.jpg

SOURCE (and full review) - Auto Portal
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 22:16   #1098
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The guys from AutoPortal have reviewed the Ciaz and report that while they were left unimpressed by the petrol, the diesel was a hoot to drive.
Avinash,

That's the same point I was thinking and wondering what Maruti has done so much to that the 1.3L VGT which is being praised so much?! Is it the weight that is having the upper hand or the gearing or aerodynamics?

Anurag.
Old 4th September 2014, 22:32   #1099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Avinash,

That's the same point I was thinking and wondering what Maruti has done so much to that the 1.3L VGT which is being praised so much?! Is it the weight that is having the upper hand or the gearing or aerodynamics?

Anurag.

Whatever it is, I hope they teach the lesson to the guys that designed the engine- FIAT!

Maruti Suzuki is realising the true potential of this engine - from the Swift, DZire, Ritz, Ertiga to the Ciaz now - the 1.3 MJD has carried their hopes with ease.
Old 4th September 2014, 23:19   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Avinash,

Anurag.
It's a combination of many things - firstly, the 1.3 DDiS has always been a stonker of an engine (note that I say DDiS and not MJD because Maruti's engineers have done a fantastic job tweaking it to bring out the best potential from the Fiat powerplant) and MSIL have found just the right combination of gearing + performance to keep both in-city drivers and highway runners equally satisfied. It might not be blazing fast or torquey like the Vento/Rapid twins or the Verna, but it's no slouch either. In the league of the Honda i-DTEC, Linea's MJD and the Fiesta TDCi, and that's par for the segment.

Hard to say if any aluminium has gone inside the DDiS, because the NVH levels is reported to be very low. If that's a negative, more brownie points to the MSIL engineers.

Secondly, the high-tensile light sheet metal used for the Ciaz's body doesn't make it too heavy for the engine to lug the car. Plus, other parts such as a plastic fuel tank (I am sure the Ciaz has it, like the Swift), lighter plastic/rubber parts all over, helps in significant weight reduction.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the design of the Ciaz itself. The streamlined aerodynamics of the car from the front to the rear remind me a lot of the 3rd-gen City's Arrow-Shot design, and like Sankar, IshaanIan and others have stressed, the airflow from all sides of the car, when in motion, help in piercing through the air like a bullet/arrow, and the added boot disperses the receding air-flow nicely. That itself is a huge help in minimising fuel loss. The drag coefficient is minimal, and that increases both - the in-acceleration performance AND the fuel efficiency of the car. Even handling improves quite a bit through this.

I think MSIL have struck gold with the Ciaz's 1.3L DDiS and this fantastic car design. Don't go by engine specifications on paper which makes it look out-of-league from other C2 segment offerings - real-world performance is where the Ciaz will shine. It doesn't pretend to be a Verna or a Vento (or a City even), but it actually comes off as a jack-of-all-trades. That is the Ciaz's biggest strength, and that will help bring in the numbers.

You want decent performance? Check.
You want Fuel Efficiency? Check X 2.
You want space? Check X 2.
You want features? Chock-full.
You want looks? Check.
You want reliability & peace-of-use? Maruti-Suzuki's badge.

Granted, Maruti doesn't have the appeal which Honda commands with the City in this particular segment. But they have given it their best shot - it's a honest attempt by them to crack the C2-segment. With the mass market swinging around in favor of the 3 Fs - FE, Features and Functionality - the Ciaz has a great chance at hitting the bull's eye in monthly sales because it ticks all 3 aforesaid boxes.

And let's not forget, if the Vento and Verna could do it before, the Ciaz pretty much can. Honda will be definitely losing some sleep over the Ciaz now.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th September 2014 at 23:39.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 23:41   #1101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Whatever it is, I hope they teach the lesson to the guys that designed the engine- FIAT!

Maruti Suzuki is realising the true potential of this engine - from the Swift, DZire, Ritz, Ertiga to the Ciaz now - the 1.3 MJD has carried their hopes with ease.
You forgot to add SX4 to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

And let's not forget, if the Vento and Verna could do it before, the Ciaz pretty much can. Honda will be definitely losing some sleep over the Ciaz now.
Seriously Honda will do something to keep their sales up.

Customers have a great time ahead along with confusion to choose from do many options.

Anurag.
Old 4th September 2014, 23:44   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Spot on. Like I was discussing with someone the other day, for Maruti's after sales, folks generally praise the extensive network and availability of spares. But that does mean the vehicle is as reliable as, say, a Toyota or even Honda (personal experience). Just means it is easily serviceable. Huge difference.
Hi Vitalstatistiks,

I have been driving Maruti vehicles for the last 29 years and have to say that Yes! They are reliable. I have driven from Mumbai to Kanya Kumari and Mumbai to Manali and a lot of other places as well and my car has never let me down. From the original "High Roof" Van (1985), 800, Gypsy, Gypsy King, Esteem, Swift to SX4(2014)... you name it. I have had them all and driven them all extensively all over the country.
In fact I would go so far as to say that their reliability is better than their famed "extensive network"!! Yes! I have had some hiccups but nothing to talk about.
If your Swift (for example) breaks down in some little town I'm sure you will find an MASS. I am also fairly sure (IMHO) that they will not be able to fix it because sure as hell they will not have the equipment in every small garage to diagnose the problem and even if they do, I'm sure they won't have the spares.
My sister has had to wait for a week to get an A/C control module for her SX4 - in Bombay - at Spectra Motors!! You get the picture?

Regards,
SS
Old 4th September 2014, 23:57   #1103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You forgot to add SX4 to the list. .

For the fear that someone might correct my post saying the SX4 diesel never really took off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
My sister has had to wait for a week to get an A/C control module for her SX4 - in Bombay - at Spectra Motors!! You get the picture?

Not quite.

For a part like a/c control module, 1 week is a very decent time frame. I work for the service industry and have a fair picture of the various levels they categorise issues and at what SLA. 1 week means the dealership took a day or two to order, Maruti processed it in another day or two, shipping took a day or two and your job was taken care of! This- for a rare part like a/c control module is quite an achievement.

You don't expect an individual part like a/c module to be air-shipped in 2 days, now do you?

And parts like a/c module are not treated as 'Priority 1'. If your vehicle is not useable due to a missing part, that's priority 1. Brakes / suspension parts for example. Still they managed to get you the parts in a week.

I have a personal experience with another brand for the same module and it took me two months to receive the part- that too, when i was having the full support of one of the best dealerships in the country for that brand.
Old 5th September 2014, 00:11   #1104
BHPian

Hi Crazy Driver,

The point I was trying to make was that even with their extensive network if you have a problem with, say, your ECU or your clutch, I don't think the service station in a small town in the middle of nowhere will be able to fix it.

Maybe my example of the A/C switch was not the right one to use.

Regards,
SS
Old 5th September 2014, 00:26   #1105
Team-BHP Support

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1, the SX4 replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Crazy Driver,

The point I was trying to make was that even with their extensive network if you have a problem with, say, your ECU or your clutch, I don't think the service station in a small town in the middle of nowhere will be able to fix it.

Maybe my example of the A/C switch was not the right one to use.

Regards,

SS
But, there is always a small service station to help tow the vehicle and co-ordinate with MSIL right?

Things will get better as vehicles get more and more advanced. Most of the dealerships know how to service the swift now- due to the number of vehicles sold, they cannot continue ignoring that large customer base.

It won't be wise to expect every dealership in the country to stock every single part though- more than enough if they have basic parts that are considered Priority-1 for customers.

If brands like FIAT, Nissan, Renault, Skoda, VW etc can survive in the segment- I don't see how MSIL service can be listed as negative- both in terms of reach and costs.

PS- I don't own a MSIL vehicle now. Just stating from POV as an ex- owner.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th September 2014 at 00:30.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 00:37   #1106
BHPian

Similarities

Guys, do you see any hint of a similarity between the profiles of Fiat Linea and Maruti Ciaz? (except the rear quarter glass after the C-pillar)

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-fiat-versus-maruti.jpg

Or are my sleepy eyes deceiving me?
Old 5th September 2014, 00:44   #1107
BHPian

Re: Similarities

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Or are my sleepy eyes deceiving me?
I think its your sleepy eyes, please let them have bit of rest

My eyes are not able to find any similarities between these two cars. And if one is hell bent in finding similarities then all the sedans look similar from side profile where all of them have bonnet+cabin+boot configuration.

By the way, I see jeep as your avatar picture so I believe you are a Jeeper and you can identify different Jeep models even by seeing smallest of difference in two different jeeps. Please leave the cars for us car freaks.

And before you plan running over me and my car in your Jeep becasue of my words, I am running away from here

Last edited by tbppjpr : 5th September 2014 at 00:52.
tbppjpr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 01:44   #1108
BHPian

Re: Similarities

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Guys, do you see any hint of a similarity between the profiles of Fiat Linea and Maruti Ciaz? (except the rear quarter glass after the C-pillar)
+1 to the thought. I was reminded of the Linea while seeing the all around pics of Ciaz.

But seen side-by-side, does bring out their differences rather than their resemblance.

Out of the Verna, City, SX4, Civic & Linea, I felt Ciaz was closest to the last two.
Old 5th September 2014, 03:28   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti cars are reliable. I have had a Tata Manza and a Swift Dzire both purchased in 2009. Tata Manza I was lucky to sell it after a year. The Swift Dzire is still with me and almost touched 80000km.

I have got my cars, Ritz and Dzire serviced in many cities in Kerala, be it even a small town like Sulthan Bathery has a reliable service center. The fact is that most of the service centres are well organised. I agree some of them, especially in Karnataka, through their service advisors try to load the service bills. Labour rates at Maruti has significantly increased. The car isn't cheap to service. But at the end of the day, their vehicles are reliable, and the quality of parts is assured.

After buying 3 Tatas, when I shifted to a Maruti, the experience was fantastic. I decided that Manza was the last Tata vehicle I owned. I am not saying TASS is bad, but you just can't compare it with MASS.

The other point is resale value. Maruti cars have the best resale value in the market, next comes Toyota, then Hyundai, and then Honda. So if you're thinking of changing your car, every 4-5 years, with Maruti you will not lose much money.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 5th September 2014 at 03:32.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:05   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
The other point is resale value. Maruti cars have the best resale value in the market, next comes Toyota, then Hyundai, and then Honda. So if you're thinking of changing your car, every 4-5 years, with Maruti you will not lose much money.

Not exactly. It's the specific model which has high/low resale. Case in point, the petrol SX4.

The truly exceptional vehicles when it comes to resale are Dzire and Innova. Nothing else comes close to them.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks