Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:06   #976
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The Corolla suddenly looks way way way overpriced in its diesel manual avatar.
Lol. The Corolla always looked over priced in the D avatar.

Now that there is an alternative that does give the same feel as a Corolla but a cheaper price, Toyota should be thinking.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:37   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Now that there is an alternative that does give the same feel as a Corolla but a cheaper price, Toyota should be thinking.

Anurag.
I know it's overpriced to begin with but so are other cars like Jetta and Octavia. However I remember Fusion was overpriced hut had many takers until the Swift came along and then suddenly Fusion became way way overpriced. So u was just tying to draw a comparison.

The Corolla has similar diesel engine projector lamps gps and 16 inch alloys but doesn't have rear air condition vents and rear blinds. So what is its value proposition.
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:45   #978
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
going OT, but with Petrol and Diesel just about 10 bucks apart now, there's hardly any reason for 75% of Corolla buyers to choose a diesel over petrol. Especially when they have a pretty decent petrol engine, and such an under powered diesel - which is costlier.

Coming back to Ciaz, i feel good about the car after reading the reviews from Overdrive and Autocar. Good looks, great space at a price which undercuts city. This could bring in better competition.

Since its more or less clear that Ciaz is better than others in space in the C+ segment, a comparison with D segments would be nice as well. If it has comparable space, many chauffeur driven D segments could find a worthwhile alternative.

However, i still don't buy the 0-100 numbers provided. I feel they are way too overoptimistic. I will wait for test drive data from Overdrive or Autocar.
Old 3rd September 2014, 00:01   #979
BHPian

Source: Maruti press release
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-maruticiazpressshotsfrontquarters1024x512.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-maruticiazpressshotsprojectorheadlights.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-maruticiazpressshotsenginestarter.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-maruticiazpressshotsdashboard1024x663.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-maruticiazpressshotscabin.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-maruticiazpressshotscenterscreen.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-maruticiazpressshotsrearac.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-maruticiazpressshotsrearquarter.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-maruticiazpressshotstop.jpg  

Attached Images

damager21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 00:01   #980
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
going OT, but with Petrol and Diesel just about 10 bucks apart now, there's hardly any reason for 75% of Corolla buyers to choose a diesel over petrol. Especially when they have a pretty decent petrol engine, and such an under powered diesel - which is costlier.
A diesel Altis easily gives 17-18kmpl in city conditions and 20+ on the highway. In comparison, the petrol gives 9-10kmpl in city and 14-15kmpl on the highway. Even if both fuels cost the same there's a huge difference in running costs.

Same will be for Ciaz. The diesel will give great FE vs the petrol. Moreover going by these initial reports, the diesel is actually more fun to drive. Unless it's a very good petrol motor, I prefer to drive diesel these days over the petrol.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 00:26   #981
BHPian

The touchscreen looks interesting. Is it too much to expect android auto?
Old 3rd September 2014, 01:49   #982
BHPian

Interesting. From what i gather, most folks are praising the car *and* assuming that it will be priced at a discount to City/Verna. Without giving too much away, just waiting for turn of reactions if Ciaz is priced at (or slightly above) City's level. (Just a social study underway)

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 3rd September 2014 at 01:53.
Old 3rd September 2014, 03:25   #983
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Interesting. From what i gather, most folks are praising the car *and* assuming that it will be priced at a discount to City/Verna. Without giving too much away, just waiting for turn of reactions if Ciaz is priced at (or slightly above) City's level. (Just a social study underway)

Maruti Suzuki just cannot afford to do that- specially when the previous two attempts at cracking this segment were not successful. This generation of Ciaz will have to undercut City in pricing and establish a name for itself- before MSIL can think of matching City.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:14   #984
BHPian

Any word on whther Maruti will equip the car with their CNG kit? An automatic Ciaz CNG would be unbeatable on running costs and comfort!
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:21   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
A diesel Altis easily gives 17-18kmpl in city conditions and 20+ on the highway. In comparison, the petrol gives 9-10kmpl in city and 14-15kmpl on the highway. Even if both fuels cost the same there's a huge difference in running costs.
I do understand the difference, even though i was thinking Corolla D would be giving 15-16 in city. Even with 17kmpl, it would need more than 30K kilometers just to break even. And how much will you pay to get rid of the frustration of a seriously under powered car?

Anyway, I am going OT. Not valid for Ciaz as both engine are comparable, maybe diesel is even better. Back to Ciaz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Maruti Suzuki just cannot afford to do that- specially when the previous two attempts at cracking this segment were not successful. This generation of Ciaz will have to undercut City in pricing and establish a name for itself- before MSIL can think of matching City.
Maruti is clearly signalling an indication to undercut prices by keeping the engines small. I would be really surprised if they price it on par with City. I am guessing close to a 50K discount on a comparable model.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 3rd September 2014 at 07:23.
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:26   #986
Senior - BHPian

The Ciaz is larger and pretty bantam weight wise, especially the diesel. Have they crash tested this car? I am pretty sure they would have, it is just that we need to found out if there has been any cost cutting which would have made it less safer or it is just about there safety wise?
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:42   #987
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The head unit in the photos looks really bad. It looks like someone stuck a cheap Android tablet to the dashboard. The text for the volume buttons has portrait orientation but the "tablet" screen is landscape.

In some photos the area around the power window switches has some nice faux wood whereas others have a beige plastic that looks cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
The touchscreen looks interesting. Is it too much to expect android auto?
Just a guess because of the name 'Smartplay' infotainment.

There was a news early this year of a company called Smartplay who were working along with Texas Instruments to devise complete entertainment solution for cars. The chosen platform was Tizen, a linux based kernel similar to android.

Tizen is hugely compatibe with Android, iPhone and windows mobile platforms even in terms of running apps from each of these platforms! Have Maruti by any chance taken the bait?

http://www.telegraphindia.com/extern...tails&id=37897

http://smartplayin.com/Uploads/Auto%20IVI%2018314.pdf
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:51   #988
Team-BHP Support

Today’s ToI featured 4 full pages of the Ciaz’s ad. Features at a glance:

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-toi_ciaz_3-sept.jpg

The windshield washer nozzles on the bonnet looks out of place.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd September 2014 at 09:00.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:58   #989
i10
BHPian

The car looks very different in the ad compared to what was posted in the Zigwheels review where it looks more elegant

i10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:04   #990
Senior - BHPian

In this segment, though MSIL has not tasted success through its previous attempts, yet for this time looking at the product and the present market conditions (peers), they will prepare for a battle with Honda City. Verna, even after the recent facelift is not able to gain traction against the well performing Honda City.

I would expect a winning pitch against Honda, more so this one is a full sedan after a considerable gap from MSIL (replacement of SX4), it better succeed.

Expect some cool pricing from Maruti this time. Brace for some action around 4th week of september with price information.

Cheers !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks